Notices

Class of May 2016 Support Thread Part 7

Old 07-23-2016, 07:11 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Jo and Maylies,

There is a very good post in the April class, part 6, page 23, today by Kopfan on the benefits of sobriety (LIVING) that is worth reading.
Old 07-23-2016, 07:15 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks I'll check it out
Old 07-23-2016, 07:21 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Dickensen it was lovely to read and I am starting to feel the same way (slowly). Love reading the positives it keeps me going thank you.
Old 07-23-2016, 10:13 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CountryGal123 View Post
oh, my! Tough words to hear ��

We ❤️ u, eagle - I always look forward to your words of wisdom here on SR- helps me a lot!!!
The truth is sometimes hard to hear but what we need. Truth is I don't feel a ton different on the inside in sobriety but my actions towards my wife (me being more patient and consistent in my actions) and kids (more energy and time, being "present" when I'm around and not biding time until the evenings when I can drink) are what they care more about and not just my words. Sobriety really does allow us to become better versions of ourselves for the people around us, which is the most selfless thing I think we can do (and not just make it all about ourselves and our needs/good times).

Beautiful day here and hope you all are enjoying your weekends
Old 07-23-2016, 10:40 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dickensen View Post
Jo and Maylies,

There is a very good post in the April class, part 6, page 23, today by Kopfan on the benefits of sobriety (LIVING) that is worth reading.
Thanks for pointing towards that...great list and kind of similar to the "gratitude list" people discuss when we are feeling "restless, irritable, and discontented."

If one actually thinks before (s)he drinks and made a pros and cons list of what consistent drinking leads to in our lives, I know my pros list would be fairly short (and only contain "pros" for my self and maybe a few "drinking buddies") and my cons list very long.
Old 07-23-2016, 11:53 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi everyone-
Had a bit of a scare last evening. I went to my cousins play in a very old theatre, which was packed on one of the most humid days and nights of the summer. Having not eaten much all day, and the fact that there was literally NO air in the small theatre, all of a sudden I found myself dizzy, my feet felt tingly, and I just couldn't get comfortable. Anyways, to make a long story short, I got up to get some cool air at intermission and fainted in the hallway. Spent a few hours in the ER getting hydrated, etc. Home and resting comfortably now after spending the night with my sister in law to make sure I didn't lose conscious.
I have a follow up with my doctor Monday to determine if it is anything more then just a mild case of heat stroke, anxiety, panic attack, etc.
Glad to hear you are all doing well!!!! I am glad to be home, in my cool comfy house, and will be staying in the rest of the day/weekend/summer! LOL
--Camery
Old 07-23-2016, 02:09 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Camery03 View Post
Hi everyone-
Had a bit of a scare last evening. I went to my cousins play in a very old theatre, which was packed on one of the most humid days and nights of the summer. Having not eaten much all day, and the fact that there was literally NO air in the small theatre, all of a sudden I found myself dizzy, my feet felt tingly, and I just couldn't get comfortable. Anyways, to make a long story short, I got up to get some cool air at intermission and fainted in the hallway. Spent a few hours in the ER getting hydrated, etc. Home and resting comfortably now after spending the night with my sister in law to make sure I didn't lose conscious.
I have a follow up with my doctor Monday to determine if it is anything more then just a mild case of heat stroke, anxiety, panic attack, etc.
Glad to hear you are all doing well!!!! I am glad to be home, in my cool comfy house, and will be staying in the rest of the day/weekend/summer! LOL
--Camery
Sounds like a nightmare ! Glad your home safe in bed !
Old 07-23-2016, 02:28 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I have had a terrible night. I will share it with you because I found although it was not fun it has made me not want to drink especially round kids !

We had a nice day in the garden with the kids playing and my friend from work asked if we wanted to go round to his house he has a trampoline in hid garden and my son and his daughter are a similar age. We said on but my Mrs was worried it might end up being too late for our youngest son who has been awake since 6 am. ( at this point she has only had 3 pints of cider) we went round and more cider was flowing they kept making comments about me not drinking. "Your rubbish " they said then they opened a bottle of champagne and I put cherryade I my glass refused the champagne. "Go on they said just have 1 glass" I said no " god Ben 1 glass won't hurt" they said. then when They toasted the glasses alter all laughed and said " awww bless him" how annoying is that! ( coming from 3 people who know why I have given up alcohol) it didn't stop there. I at there for the rest of the night being made to feel like I was spoiling everyone else's night. But I can deal with that stuff they just wound me up. It was when my 2 year old son started crying at 9pm well.past his bed time that I suggested we go and put him to bed. Then again apparently I was spoiling everyone else's night. my Mrs who by this time could barely stand up straight had gone from being concerned at the beginning of the evening about the kids bed time to not giving a monkeys and suggesting he sleeps in his push chair. He is a very big lad and that's not fair on him. I was accused of being controlling by my Mrs in front of my work mates for telling her we needed to go and bearing in mind I was the only sober one there. They agreed with her and again I was spoiling everyone's night.. We got back and she put a half giant a pork pie on a plate poured tartar sauce all over it and muttered something under her breath at me and is now passed out star shaped on our bed. I am in the spare room. The most annoying thing about all this is in the morning she will properly be grumpy with me.

Anyway I didn't drink I got my kids home safe even if a bit late. And I saw from an interesting angle how alcohol affects your judgement when it comes to parenting. I will never get drunk when I'm looking after my kids ever again!

Sorry for the moan but it's been a tough evening but at the same time I'm glad I was there I DO NOT WANT TO BE THAT GUY!
Old 07-23-2016, 02:32 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Thanks Ben! Yes, I am home safe and sound resting watching movies. Feeling much better!!!!
Old 07-24-2016, 01:00 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Ben you were an absolute star last night. Be super proud of yourself. Parenting sober is absolutely the best and only way.
Camery I'm so pleased you were taken care of. Remember to eat! Perhaps have an emergency cereal bar in your bag.....
Last day here before my hols. Girls were ace yesterday helping me pack.it'll be great driving down knowing I've been 2 weeks sober. Summer 2016 will be my turning point I pray. Happy Sunday guys!
Old 07-24-2016, 04:03 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Morning Mayflies & Happy Sunday to you all!

Camery- So glad to hear you're doing ok! Sounds like a scary experience to be sure! Happy to hear things are looking good with the potential job Keep us posted!

Jo-Enjoy your holiday!

Ben- Good on you for remaining sober & caring for your son.....and for making sure the Mrs. got home safely. Funny how peer pressure continues into adulthood-lol. Just had a friend pressuring me the other day-I finally just looked at her and said, "What are we 10? I'm freaking 38 years old, enough with the bullying and peer pressure." And agreed, with the watching drinking through a sober lens.....just not that great. I've kind of given up trying hang with most of my old drinking friends.....its literally all they do. Drink, Get drunk, talk, laugh, fight, repeat, all while standing in the same spot for hours at a time.....every time we get together. No thanks. I'd rather brush my teeth with a brillo pad than deal with that **** show. You've come a long way, made huge positive changes in your life that benefit both your health and your family, and I'm proud of you dang it!
Old 07-24-2016, 07:19 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone!
Thanks for the well wishes, and yes, I need to start carrying or bringing a protein bar with me in times like these. I knew I was headed for disaster by not eating prior, but............... I feel much better today after taking it easy. One more day of these bad humidity days and then back to some manageable weather.
Ben-- good for you for being sober and sticking to your guns and taking care of your family.
Simplicity-- well said! I don't hang around much with my old drinking friends anymore, I find them annoying since all they want to do is drink, drink and get drunk.

Glad to hear everyone is having a good weekend so far, safe travels Jo! Enjoy your trip with the girls!
Happy Sunday to all the Mayflies!
--Camery
Old 07-24-2016, 12:48 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Night night all. Packed and ready for my hols. I'll be keeping up with my mayflies. Take care all xxx
Old 07-24-2016, 01:01 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Happy Sunday all!!

Camery - Glad to hear you are resting and doing better. Heat plus lack of hydration plus empty stomach a dangerous combination. Spare protein bar handy sounds like a good idea!!

Ben - Yep, being the sober one is certainly not sexy but being there for your kids and seeing what things look like on the other side is eye opening. Great job on properly handling the situation...being in front of your work mates certainly not ideal but you did what you had to do.

Simplicity - Yep, there are bound to be changes that have to be made in sobriety. I am 36 so can relate to where you are at. Some relationships are going to stick and some of your "drinking buddies" are going to not be as big a part of your life...sometimes it's not always clear which is which but after a while it certainly becomes clear.

Jo - Awesome about your 2 sober weeks headed in to the vacation. Sounds like a great time and very excited for you!! Have a blast
Old 07-24-2016, 03:20 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Thanks Eagle....I'm excited for my holiday. Will keep in touch of course. Lots of love mayflies.....xxx
Old 07-24-2016, 05:05 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

All in all, its been a pretty great weekend Just babysat my granddaughter for a few hours. I'm so in love with her! She's almost 8 months and she's a little ham! All smiles, giggles, sugar & spice and everything nice. She makes me want to freeze time and soak it all in. So glad I'm sober for this.....they asked me to watch her on short notice.....3 months ago I would've been to drunk to do it. Today at 87 days sober, I jumped at the chance! Life is good
Old 07-24-2016, 05:16 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hey all. 87 day here. Sorry to hear about the bad days a few of u guys had. Just wanted to come in and say hi before bed. Have to b up very early for work. Have a good one everybody
Old 07-25-2016, 05:19 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Hey, all.

Quick check in before bed. I've had a busy day here. Bought new PJs (rock n roll, hey), bought a ceiling hook for my son's fake punch bag (he's 5. It's for taking his anger out on, rather than beating me up. I made it out of some fake leather and bean bag beans, as we didn't trust him with a real bag - scared he'd break a hand.), made dinner, knocked out a couple of reports for work ... that kinda stuff.

I have been spending time thinking about whether I spend too much time thinking about alcohol. Well, alcoholism, I suppose. 'Cause I'm a bit over-analytical that way. Is it okay to think about it all often? Am I just being vigilant and ensuring I'm working on recovery? Or is it concerning? Should I be thinking about alcohol less by this point? (Just to clarify, I'm not craving, just thinking about the nature of this beast.) Anyone have any thoughts?

Camery, glad you're feeling better.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:12 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Good morning Mayflies and Happy Monday!
Start of a hopefully good week with some promising news about a potential job. I try not to get my hopes up, but I do feel pretty good about this one for some reason. Not too much on tap for me today. Hopefully the humidity breaks and I can get out of my house.
Hope you all have a great day!
--Camery
Old 07-25-2016, 07:46 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Camery03 View Post
Good morning Mayflies and Happy Monday!
Start of a hopefully good week with some promising news about a potential job. I try not to get my hopes up, but I do feel pretty good about this one for some reason. Not too much on tap for me today. Hopefully the humidity breaks and I can get out of my house.
Hope you all have a great day!
--Camery
That's awesome news, Camery!!!