Notices

Class of June 2016 Support Thread Part 4

Old 08-27-2016, 06:30 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Dat 82

JG: if you think your councilor isn't the right fit you can always switch. I know they don't always tell you what you want to hear but if you truly feel like that then get a new one. I hope things get better between you and your husband but it sounds to me that he needs counseling as well. The relationship seems completely unhealthy. Youve tried talking to him and he asked you to leave? He seems very selfish but I only know one side so maybe that's why I think that.

Snazzy: your post made me giggle this morning! You're doing great... We all are!

Fearless: My arguing skills have changed as well. Things I would let go when I was drinking because of the guilt aren't happening anymore. The snide remarks that my husband used to say don't get through anymore. The fog has lifted and we're dried out now. Just be you and I know how you feel about resentment we've been married for 17 years also so it changes things. My issues is old stuff has been popping up in my head lately.I also have a very jealous husband but thats a whole other post! Hang in there and again, just be you.

As for me I'm on day 82 and after just typing my response to Fearless some real underlying reasons I drank just popped in my head. The guilt, the cover up, the pain reducer, the hiding true character was why I drank. Geez, I feel like I was just in a AA class and some true crap was laid on the table. The difference is I'm pretty much 3 months sober and I'm in a much happier state of mind that all that stuff I mentioned isn't there any longer. I don't have guilt, I'm not covering up anything, I am my true self now and honestly I like me! Dang this just got deep! Going to end this post so I can go running and burn off the Taco Bell from Lastnight.

*If you read my posts on the weekends I'm sorry if they're misspelled or weird looking as I post from my phone.*

Happy SOBER Saturday! Everyone should get out and get some fresh air today, go for a walk or sit outside for a bit, do something to enjoy this alcohol free day! So thankful my life doesn't revolve around the poison any longer.
Old 08-27-2016, 04:25 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Day 98. I spun such a web of lies over the years to hide the true extent of my alcoholism that I couldn't keep up with what I told to who.
The last 3 months of sobriety have been so serene in that I haven't had to worry about remembering what I might have said and to who. I tend to get a kick out of getting drunk and making sh*t up on the fly.
Old 08-27-2016, 05:11 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to say how much you all have inspired me just now reading through the last few pages of posts.

I'm a fellow June bug ( 2015 vintage) and it sounds to me like you are all doing just great.

"There is no situation so bad, that a drink cannot make it worse."

I don't know about you , but I have around 1000 examples of how I proved that theory to be true

Not any more though. Not today

Go well June bugs

Your friend from 'the future' ,

Fradley
Old 08-28-2016, 05:04 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  
U75
I look young for my age.

Thanks for the thoughts, Fradley! It's so great when people from older classes come round with encouragement. Gives us all something concrete to strive for.

Had two weird dreams last night. The first is that I was plowing through a bottle of rum. The feelings of sickness and regret were so immediate that they woke me up, and for a few seconds my brain was telling me that I was hungover and had to go to work in a few minutes. Imagine my relief when I calmed myself down and remembered it was Sunday, and all I had last night was a big bowl of ice cream! Phew. That was my first dream like that, although I've read about others' experiences with similar dreams.

The second dream was just bizarre. I dreamt that someone had a young chicken at our office for some reason. I think the name was "Mr. Chicken." We all loved the chicken. For some other reason, I had to take him home. Mr. Chicken sat in the passenger seat of my car, all buckled in. Mr. Chicken liked to cuddle with your leg like a cat. Mr. Chicken was fluffy and nice to the kids. WEIRD.

Day 69 here, tomorrow is day 70. Ten weeks! I like that my weekly anniversary is on a Monday. Gives me something to shoot for every weekend.
Old 08-28-2016, 05:40 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Day 83

U75: What the heck!??!! Nothing like another laugh at one of your posts. Since sobriety I've only had one dream of drinking and the moment I drank I felt so guilty and ashamed in the dream. These sober brains are pretty impressive.

Today I'm on 83 and have been sleeping like complete crap. I've been eating like crap lately too. I think I have too much going on and it's weighing on me. That baby shower is this coming Sunday and I'm stressed to the max! My sister in laws who is pregnant and the person I'm having the shower for, her mother was supposed to provide the food. I text her and asked that she have everything here the night before or early Sunday morning. Needless to say she has backed out and now I have to feed over 30 people. I'm going to get through this...
My car has the missing grill and looks ridiculous, my daughters soccer coach put her in two leagues one with the older girls and one with her own age group. I know I should feel honored that he advances her but that's my entire weekend and my son plays as well so I'm not getting much down time. I think I may take Friday off...

I hope everyone has a Beautiful Sober Sunday!
Old 08-29-2016, 06:45 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  
U75
I look young for my age.

Monday Monday, back to work.

Day 70. Can't believe I'm well into my third month of sobriety. If you had asked me if this was achievable 70 days ago, I would've said "no way."
Old 08-29-2016, 12:48 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Hello all, Big Tex here. Just checking in to say I am still rocking along. Day 76 today! Spirit of '76 and all that - Best to all -
Old 08-29-2016, 02:40 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Hi all, U75...Mr. Chicken sounds awesome and I'm sorry he was only a dream!

soberforme, I can't believe she backed out of providing the food! WTH?! Hopefully you have Costco or Trader Joe's nearby and can "cater it" easily.

Today was the first day of school for both my kids, so our new neighbors have been coming out of the woodwork to welcome us, now that everyone is back from vacation. We went to a picnic yesterday, ostensibly for the kids to get together and meet anyone they didn't know, and the moms were something else. Most of them had water bottles with mixed drinks while talking casually about visiting a neighbor who is a plastic surgeon, and flashing their giant diamonds. I tend to be shy with large groups at first, so right before we went I was super anxious and desperate to get out of it. Of course, it went fine and I met some nice people, but now I'm being invited to "book club" and other excuses to drink. Ugh.

Oh, but one good thing: At the end of this latest stretch of drinking, I was terribly isolated and avoided my friends and neighbors at all costs. It's really nice to not have a full-on panic attack when someone rings the doorbell!
Old 08-29-2016, 03:40 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some great milestones here - congratulations guys
Old 08-29-2016, 08:35 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Day 100. I wish I was passionate about something in life. I have ADHD so I never stuck with anything for long. Except drinking. That was the only thing I ever loved doing. my brain is wired to always seek instant gratification and booze provides just that. Boredom will be my biggest challenge in sobriety.
Old 08-30-2016, 05:30 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Day 85

WL: my son and husband both have ADHD. My son has to take meds for it to help him concentrate. He also HAS to stay in sports for that energy release or it's not a good thing. I know they have adult medication for it, you should look into it. I can not tell my son to do a list of things and expect him to get them all done, it's one thing at a time. They say it's common for adults with ADHD to self medicate by alcohol or pot to help them stay focused and get motivation. While others look at ADHD as a kid thing it also goes into adulthood. I hope you get some treatment for the ADHD. What do you do to help you with the ADHD or do you just tough it out?

Fearless: I'm going to Costco and getting trays of pinwheels, fruit and veggies. I'm going simple on the food, I wasn't planning on doing that part so I splurged on the cake and had a costum cake, cake balls, cookies and cupcakes made to match the theme. Kind of mad but whatever, I just need to get through it all.
Your neighborhood sounds like my sisters neighborhood. We all live in the same community but her neighborhood is the "highest end" neighborhood. They all hang out, drink while their kids play. They do book clubs, ornaments exchange parties, bunko, Halloween costume parties, cookouts etc. Any excuse to get together and drink.

As for me... I'm on day 85. I feel the same, I guess just normal or whatnot. I'm kind of bored and feel like everyday is the same thing all over again. I guess I just do everything I can to get through the day. I have a wedding to attend on 10/01 and maybe I'm old school but it's for adults only and I'm kind of pissed about that. Is that normal now a days to exclude children from a wedding? They also redirected everyone to "their website" instead of gifts they want you to pay for certain parts of their honey moon. They have drop downs on the site to pay for their round of drinks @ $25.00/each, dinner @ $50.00/each, spa @ $100.00/each etc, I'm talking all the way down to the hotel room cost. To me that's weird, is that even normal? I know I've been married for a long time but have things changed that much in 17 years? Ughh, I'm over everyone and their needy butts. From my sister in laws mom backing out of paying for the the food for the shower to my cousin who has her hand out for her honeymoon. I just can't deal with this crap, what is wrong with people? *sigh*

Have a SOBER Tuesday... I will too. Things are way to raw right now!
Old 08-30-2016, 06:42 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  
U75
I look young for my age.

Morning, folks. Day 71 for me.

Our house is in a weird spot, not really in a neighborhood, so we don't really have the "neighborhood get together" pressure to drink. Our only neighbors don't drink, either, so there's no pressure when we get together.

For me this summer, I've been completely avoiding the after-work networking functions. They ALL involve drinking. Unfortunately, they are also great opportunities to pass out your card and give the spiel about what you do (i.e., network). I think I'm in a place now where I can go and not be too tempted. I've got to pick it back up sometime.
Old 08-30-2016, 01:00 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Absolutely none of my business but

they want you to pay for certain parts of their honey moon

Why not give a donation to a charity in their name instead?

They can then have a slightly smaller steak and no dessert safe in the knowledge that someone in real need is benefiting on their 'special' (funded by everyone else) holiday.

Sorry, this isn't even my thread, and I don't know the people l involved either. Awful manners. But I do feel better after venting.

Fantastic to see you guys clocking up some serious sober time

Go well,

Fradley
Old 08-31-2016, 04:33 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Day 86... Where is the June crew?

Fradley: I'm perfectly okay with you venting on my post. I feel the exact same way. I don't understand it at all and think she may need to read up on wedding etiquette.

Day 86 for me and we've slowed down majorly on this board. Where is everyone?
Old 08-31-2016, 06:28 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  
U75
I look young for my age.

I'm here still, every day SFM! I don't know where everyone is. I think NMD may have moved on to the August thread. Tex posted yesterday I think. JG and Fearless every once in a while. Not sure who I'm missing?

Day 72. Busy day at work today. Paying the price for a few weeks' worth of procrastination.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:57 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Day 78. Sometimes I pinch myself and say "is this really me?" I'm not a drunk anymore.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:40 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

soberforme, I'll say it...that is tacky as hell!!!

I posted earlier about the groups in my neighborhood...one of them is actually called the "Winos Club." This type of thing has been tough for me in the past, and I usually end up accepting a glass of wine and then I just don't drink it, and hope no one notices. VERY dicey strategy, I know! Need something better, or to avoid it altogether. That's probably what I'll do.

My parents are here, and staying with us for the first time in 8 years (due to lack of space). My parents are both alcoholics, but with my mom it's become especially problematic because she is very thin and somewhat frail, plus she is becoming more forgetful and we all know that alcohol doesn't help with that! Last night was stressful for me because they arrived at the same time as my brother (with his wife and three little kids), the mattress delivery people, and a security system installer, before both of my kids had to be at soccer God knows where. It was chaos trying to get dinner together for everyone, and I had a strong and sudden impulse to drink. The evening and the feeling passed, and I was happy to go to bed sober, but it was kind of crazy how fast it came on.

In other news, my mom was NOT drinking last night (at least as far as I could tell). This has never, ever happened before in my lifetime besides one time when she was recovering from back surgery years ago. My dad, who is always the more controlled and quiet drinker, had a beer or two and seemed to leave it at that! Good times.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:20 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Day 102. Well, the summer is coming to an end and i am still amazed I remained sober through it. I went to an AA meeting every day and that has made the difference this time around. I've met so many people which filled the void left when everyone else in my life distanced themselves. Having SR 24 hours a day is crucial for support in the times I am alone and can easily pick up a drink.

On to fall season we go. Keep it up June class
Old 09-01-2016, 05:02 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Day 87

WL: You seem to be in a much better state of mind and more up beat. You're doing so good!

Fearless: I laughed when I read your response because it's the truth it IS tacky as hell. *sigh* Keep me posted on your Mom and how that visit goes. I'm only going to go out on limb by saying you gave them that dreaded call and now they're there visiting. Good job Lady!

As for me, I'm on day 87 and I truly without a doubt know I wouldn't have made it without this board. I've tried quitting before and the longest I've ever gone was 5 days (besides my two pregnancy's one in 2002 and the other in 2008)and it was because I was on meds that if I drank they would make me deathly ill. The moment I finished, was the moment I picked up where I left off. I'm just thankful that I don't get off of work anymore and try to hurry home so I can get that beer down my throat as fast as possible. Now I rush home so I can get the afternoon run in before life gets hectic with homework, soccer, dinner and whatever else seems to pop up. I don't avoid my mothers phone calls any more like I used too because I knew she'd know I was drinking and she's against it due to my dads history. I'm just glad that I'm 100% confident in me, I know if there is an emergency in the middle of the night or at any hour I will be in my right mind and will make the right decisions. I know that if my kids need me I will be sober and not put them off. I have that wedding to attend which is across town, I know that at the reception I will not be drinking and have to worry about the drive home being buzzed or drunk. It's just everything to me, my life has always been revolved around drinking it was like being a prisoner in my own mind or something. Not anymore, I'm free and I have to admit I'm extremely proud of myself. We ALL should be so proud for how far we've come and know that we have nothing but greatness coming later as well.
Thank you all for being here and traveling this same journey, sharing your stories so I'm not alone in this. ((HUGS))

Happy SOBER Thursday guys!!!!
Old 09-01-2016, 06:41 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

soberforme, you are doing so amazing!!! Our lives are so busy with work and family, HOW did we ever manage to check out without everything completely falling apart?! Maybe it did, and we didn't notice?

Also, thanks for the push about calling my parents. We were supposed to visit them in August and never got back to them (my fault), so I was dreading the conversation because I thought they would be mad/disappointed, plus my mom's drinking makes it tough because 1) I'm trying to stay sober, and 2) it requires follow-up communication because she won't necessarily remember what we discussed. However, if I lost one of them I would be absolutely devastated...so I really appreciate that reminder.

It's rainy and gray here today, but I'm at work feeling pretty productive with a LONG list of things to accomplish! Have a great day, everyone.