Notices

Class of June 2016 Support Thread Part 3

Old 07-09-2016, 05:52 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by luvmygirls View Post
Is it just me, or is this thread kind of slow? Bumping us to the top.
The July thread is a bit slow too...maybe the US folks are just out enjoying the summer?
Old 07-09-2016, 05:58 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Day 42. The sun is shining very brightly this morning, and I have a busy day planned. I have to remember to be extra careful to not overdo it, and take some breaks as needed. I've also slacked off on my water consumption, which definitely has an impact on my sense of well-being. My treadmill and yoga mat are still sitting lonely upstairs in an empty room...hmmm.

nmd, I don't know how people work in IT. My brother does too, and it seems like the most difficult type of customer service. Do you remember the SNL sketch when Jimmy Fallon is the IT tech and he's just like, "MOVE" to the person at their computer?
Old 07-09-2016, 07:14 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  

I'm really sorry to those in Dallas, it's very sad.

I'm getting by. Things at work are better, I had a long conversation with my boss and yeah I haven't been doing well there the last several months but I think we've sorted some things out and I am trying harder there.

I started a meditation class and it is helpful.

Still feel the urge to drink, today especially. Boredom- yeah that affects me too big time. Or it's like I sort out work and think- hey everything is great so I can drink again, but that just starts the cycle all over again.
Old 07-09-2016, 07:47 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Day 20 -- busy day...just wanted to check in. Hope to catch up later. Everyone have a great sober Saturday dde0a
Old 07-09-2016, 09:19 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Day 50. Boredom is my biggest challenge right now. I am unemployed, single, and alone. I drank away my life essentially until the only thing I had left was my addiction. I'm just concentrating on doing the next right thing. I've lost 10 pounds in the last 50 days and my mental state had improved dramatically. I feel like I am finally ready to begin a new chapter of my life.

Hope everyone is doing well. Just don't drink today!
Old 07-09-2016, 04:30 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  
Administrator

did you consider volunteering in your community wastinglife?
Old 07-09-2016, 05:32 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  
nmd

50 days is awesome wl! You mentioned recently your meds were starting to kick in for depression finally. Give it time, you are doing great. Dees suggestion for dealing with the boredom isn't a bad one.
Old 07-09-2016, 06:16 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Congrats on 50, WL.
Lazy day today, work on ambulance in the morning.
Another day sober.
Thankful !!
Old 07-10-2016, 01:24 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Got thru day 19. Just wanted to check in before sleep. Happy Sunday!
Old 07-10-2016, 05:09 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Good morning !!
I feel like I post too much but this board helps me to know I'm not alone so please excuse my excessive use.
I don't know what day I'm on, I stopped counting and just go day by day. I'm realizing that most people don't care or even notice that I'm not drinking anymore. Yesterday while at my daughters soccer tournament we were in between games and needed to find a place to cool off. The tournament was at fields by an outdoor mall which had multiple bar and grills. I didn't think much of it at the time until my daughter chose the place to eat. She ended up
Choosing Fire Water bar and grill, at that time it was around 3pm and the perfect time and place to have a cold beer... I didn't! I wasn't completely uncomfortable there but I did find myself watching people have a beer while eating a burger and my thoughts on it were that I'm sure that person isn't like me and that will there only beer. I know for a fact I will never be a social drinker or have an occasional beer. It's really sad that this is what became of me, I'm an alcoholic just like my father, sister and brother. Just sucks that it has consumed my life for so long and I'm just not taking control. I'm kind of mad at myself.

Hope everyone has a great Sunday.
Old 07-10-2016, 05:27 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Sober,
That runs in my family too. I tried to pretend I was different for a long time. Whoof ! Was I fooling myself !
Old 07-10-2016, 05:53 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  
nmd

Originally Posted by soberforme06061 View Post
Good morning !!
I feel like I post too much but this board helps me to know I'm not alone so please excuse my excessive use.
Not at all. If anything, it gets too quiet once a class starts getting some sober time (and some people inevitably drop out). I'm just happy to be with June still, I haven't been sober this long since 2014, and 2010 before that.

We met my ex-brother in law out last night. I had a few diet colas. I told him I haven't been drinking for a month and really haven't been out at all. We're planning a cards night or dinner out in the future to avoid the whole bar thing.

Not a great idea early on (or in general) to go to pub, but in this case family trumped good ideas. (Really my ex wifes brother in law, but I consider them family still) We've been out of touch and I wanted to fix that. He knows my struggles with alcohol anyways, so there's no pressure to drink. I had some thoughts of drinking before heading out but no problems when i was there. That said, that's a warning sign, and I don't see any reasons to go back there. Bars sober are really loud and pretty boring really.

Got half of my yard work done yesterday, hoping to finish today and then I'll have one less pre-wedding thing to do.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:04 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Wasting Life, I think volunteering is a great suggestion. It sounds like you need a daily purpose, and volunteer opportunities can be great networking opportunities and lead to permanent jobs. You would be shocked at how difficult it can be to find people who simply show up on time, look professional, and communicate well.

Day 44. Last night was tough because I have child with special needs and occasionally, things will go off the rails. It can be very difficult to manage, but I reminded myself that drinking wouldn't improve things, and made it through. I'm also getting to the point where I'm unwilling to "throw away" sober time, even though I know it's not technically wasted.

soberforme, please post as often as possible! I can totally relate to your story about the restaurant. It's impossible for me to imagine drinking one drink, let alone being one of these people who can leave it half finished?! Whaaat?! I've heard so many fantasies about "having that cold beer on a hot day" or some variation, and having to remind myself that it was NEVER like that for me. It was ugly, and not romantic at all...and sometimes, not even cold!

I hope everyone has a great sober day. I check back here constantly, and love when people post often.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:09 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Aw he--,
I'm not in ambulance today. I got to sit on the backside of the racing kart track, by myself- supposed to be in a little room w nothing in there . I put the med bag in my car and told them I'd be there on my radio, if they needed medical. Good thing is there's no races today. Just a member day where ppl come in and run laps if the want.
Can't see the real track I usually work on. Hopefully I'll get a couple of things written that I've been procrastinating about.
Old 07-10-2016, 07:16 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Writing a required inventory on my character defects, fears, resentments, ect. Laughing when I'm writing some of the things I'm afraid of. Ridiculous to put on paper !!
Now later on I get to read it off to someone. Humble pie, anyone??
Old 07-10-2016, 12:02 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Day 20.

Yesterday was tough, ran into an old drinking buddy and immediately wanted to drink. Turns out he had been sober for 9 months himself, but my craving was still there pretty strongly. Did my grocery shopping later that night and was convinced that I was going to buy some beer, figuring I'd have sunday to rest before I go back to work on monday. But I didnt. I was able to stay sober, primarily I think because my daughter is back home. We have a strained relationship because of my drinking and things have been good since she's been back, and I don't want to stoke those fires anymore.

I'm happy everyone is still posting. It really helps everyone.
Old 07-10-2016, 01:27 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Fooling around with with my car AC ( blowing warm then cold), at my part time job. I'd NEVER have patience to do this when I was drinking/detoxing. I'm HOT. Having to use my own car to sit over on racing gokart section. I'll not be able to ever drive one of those sober OR drunk. They hit 70-85 mph. Proportionate sized to a car, that's Far over 100 mph, in relation to reflexes and reaction times. When wreck, they WRECK.
Old 07-10-2016, 02:59 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Day 19 - still here and still sober. Have been painting most of the weekend, trying to get this house ready to sell. Not sure where I will be going when I do but at least I won't be in this house surrounded by all the noise. New favourite drink is lime & soda water - by the pint
Not walked for 2 days and I am missing it so plan on at least taking a couple of hours tomorrow away from the paint tin to get some air, even if the good old British weather throws more rain at us, I will just throw on a rain coat. Glad to see so many still here and fighting the good fight. It really DOES help, knowing I am not alone in all of this. Night x
Old 07-10-2016, 07:09 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Day 51. I went to visit a friend from AA today who was in a detox centre. He just celebrated 1 year sober a couple weeks ago. Truly baffling indeed. He went on a week long binge and it got him kicked out of transitional housing, so now he is homeless when he finishes detox.

A sad reminder that I'm probably one binge away from a similar fate
Old 07-10-2016, 07:46 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  
nmd

Goodnight all!