Notices

Class of May 2016 Support Thread Part 6

Old 07-13-2016, 05:47 AM
  # 421 (permalink)  

Morning all!!

Good thoughts LW!! That is interesting about being a hyper sensitive individual...makes sense. Agreed on the Dallas Police Chief. Carrot cake you mentioned sounds really good

Simplicity - Congrats on the 12 lb weight loss...great accomplishment!! Glad things are going well with the exercise regimen and making progress on the smoking...also good that things have at least calmed down on the work front a bit. Keep the momentum going!!

Jo - I'm proud of you for not spiraling downward and getting things back on track. Cleaning sounds productive and sounds like you have a plan to get things to a week sober with your parents around. Gives you a little time to plan on the next phase for once they are gone.

Camery - Same boat here in regards to the low carb eating and the one day at a time...sounds like you are doing great on both!!

CountryGal - Sounds like you are very busy these days and doing a good job of staying sober. Glad to hear it on both fronts!!

Ben - Tomorrow is Day 75 for us...hope you are good and you guys are enjoying the Thundercats DVD's you bought.

To everyone else, glad you are all here and enjoy hearing about what is going on in your lives and how you are working to stay sober and have a more fulfilling life. We can do this!!
Old 07-13-2016, 05:58 AM
  # 422 (permalink)  

Just thought I'd explain why I'm not posting much these days. To be honest staying sober day after day is becoming much easier these days. I don't need as much support or accountability and I was never much good at giving the support out. I do often feel like I take more from this group than I give back. My daily problems have gone from alcohol related stuff to very mundane domestic moans and to be honest after reading some of your posts after the last few months my troubles (besides the alcohol adiction) don't even come on a similar scale. So I will not post every time I have a silly problem. But that said . I do need you guys and I'm very sure a time will come soon when I need you to slap me round the face and say. " NO!" so I will keep rereading your posts and keep checking in. But try and not bother you with stuff that's not relevant to our struggle.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:25 AM
  # 423 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ben83 View Post
Just thought I'd explain why I'm not posting much these days. To be honest staying sober day after day is becoming much easier these days. I don't need as much support or accountability and I was never much good at giving the support out. I do often feel like I take more from this group than I give back. My daily problems have gone from alcohol related stuff to very mundane domestic moans and to be honest after reading some of your posts after the last few months my troubles (besides the alcohol adiction) don't even come on a similar scale. So I will not post every time I have a silly problem. But that said . I do need you guys and I'm very sure a time will come soon when I need you to slap me round the face and say. " NO!" so I will keep rereading your posts and keep checking in. But try and not bother you with stuff
that's not relevant to our struggle.
I just find everyone on here interesting and everyday life as described by one person can be wildly different from your own. It's not necessary to have terrible troubles to relate. I'm especially fascinated about the lives led by people in other parts of the world. What books people are reading, what movies they are watching, what hobbies they have. It's all good.
There's a new HBO show on called The Night of. Highly recommend.
Old 07-13-2016, 08:03 AM
  # 424 (permalink)  

I would agree. I think over the last few months, we have developed a "bond" between all of us, with all of the struggles ( some not even related to drinking ) that we've come across in our daily lives.
I enjoy the daily check ins, and even though it isn't as often as it was, it is still nice to "hear" from everyone to see what they are up to, going through, etc.
Even if it is LW tempting us with carrot cake with cream cheese frosting... an all time favorite........... ( j/k LW)
Happy Wednesday all! The humidity is dropping here, so I am excited to finally get out and enjoy a few days of relief!
---Camery
Old 07-13-2016, 09:49 AM
  # 425 (permalink)  

Hi all! After almost 2 months I at last have a kitchen floor whoop whoop! Bf on with the skirting boards now. I takes forever trying to do your own DIY when you work. I've not allowed myself to buy any "nice" bits (blinds, accessories, table chairs etc) till the floor is down so it'll soon be spend spend spend! I dream of the day that dust is not everywhere once it's all finished. The whole idea was to get the kitchen and dining room together so we have a nice place to eat and the girls can do homework while I cook. I can see it coming together now. Hopefully I'll be able to afford the bits I want with the money I save on not drinking.
I am trying so hard to think like a normal optimistic person and not get dragged down by the fight I've got on my hands with this hideous addiction. When I'm concentrating hard at work I forget all about it then I'll take a break and it'll sneak into my thoughts....not wanting a drink just the awful secret I carry around. I yearn for the day that I can feel like I have got it under control and just be a nice plain normal person (never drinking of course but surely that's a small price to pay for peace of mind?)
Hope everyone is having a lovely contented and sober day. I care about each and every one of you
Old 07-13-2016, 09:54 AM
  # 426 (permalink)  

Oh and LW I've not read a decent book in ages! My genre to be honest is murder/detective type stuff. I love Val McDermid's Tony Hill Series for example. They're only one rung up from trashy but a nice relaxing bit of escapism none the less xxx
Old 07-13-2016, 02:46 PM
  # 427 (permalink)  

I've always got book suggestions. I used to read a lot of old school detective and mystery novels starting with Agatha Christie. I often check The Man Booker prize lists and find lots of good reads that way. I like good historical fiction too. I like Hillary Mantel for example.

I'll be posting once a day for something I call desperation dinner. It's stuff you can fix really quickly that's fairly healthy and uses minimal ingredients. Today's recipe might sound awful but I really like it.
You just need to steam some broccoli, either fresh or from the freezer. Heat some flour tortillas on a hot skillet or in the microwave quickly. Put some good cheese on the tortilla along with some broccoli. Tuck the ends in and roll it all up. Heat in oven or microwave long enough to melt the cheese. Serve with a good salsa on top. I like the garden style with lots of vegetables in it. That is all. If you feel decadent enough you could put a little sour cream on top too.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:58 PM
  # 428 (permalink)  

Checking in before bed

Grateful today for all mayflies. Today I celebrate that because of my sobriety I could do my job effectively and attend yoga class.

What's everyone else celebrating-just for today-that their sobriety has given them? ☺️

Let's celebrate! 😎😜🎊🎉
Old 07-13-2016, 07:00 PM
  # 429 (permalink)  

Also, my apologies for not addressing everyone's posts yet -but been keeping up on the reading!!

Wishing everyone well 💕
Old 07-14-2016, 03:56 AM
  # 430 (permalink)  

What an awesome topic question Countrygal! I am celebrating following my heart's leading And thanks to my sobriety, I can trust it! Sometimes it leads me to speak up, other times its a gentle nudge to continue moving forward through something unpleasant and to move through it fearlessly. It has me dreaming again, about times to come, and practicing acceptance of times past. Basically its like having a life coach with me as I navigate life!
Wishing all of you a great day!
Old 07-14-2016, 05:29 AM
  # 431 (permalink)  

Good topic CG - I am celebrating the ability to wake up every morning remembering exactly what I did the night before and not having to try to piece everything together and interpret the Mrs' tone.

Morning of Day 75...feeling good this morning and Happy Thursday to all!
Old 07-14-2016, 07:21 AM
  # 432 (permalink)  

Nice one CG I like this theme! I'm celebrating the end of a sober working week and can now look forward to preparing for my parents' visit where I can be present and enjoy their company instead of the whole thing being an inconvenience to my drinking time.
So grateful to have the opportunity to have another try and pray I get it right this time. One day at a time xxx
Old 07-14-2016, 07:44 AM
  # 433 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CountryGal123 View Post
Checking in before bed

Grateful today for all mayflies. Today I celebrate that because of my sobriety I could do my job effectively and attend yoga class.

What's everyone else celebrating-just for today-that their sobriety has given them? ☺️

Let's celebrate! 😎😜🎊🎉
Sort of a complicated question for me. Being sober brought up a lot of health and other issues like anxiety that I was trying to ignore. Trying to tackle them has brought on a host of new worries. I'm working my way through them but it's a hard stony road. I was not the kind of drinker who got really drunk, but each night was a slow steady slide into numbness and being all by myself no one noticed. It's like I'm trying to rebirth myself. I'm reading more again and getting ready to pull out my creative activities, but it's still early days. If you remember, I had two fails since I joined this group but I pulled it together. I said it before and I'll repeat it, do this for yourselves while you are young because it ain't going to get easier. So I guess I'm grateful that I'm serious about getting healthy, losing weight, trying to find friends...
Old 07-14-2016, 09:42 AM
  # 434 (permalink)  

Great thread CG- I too am grateful for waking up sober! ( and like Eagle not have to figure out what went on the day before) It feels good to feel good!
Old 07-14-2016, 01:14 PM
  # 435 (permalink)  

So, on that note of following my heart.....it sorta is telling me to draw back from SR for a little. Not a goodbye, not a "never check in" kind of thing, but a "get out there and live", kind of thing. I do miss the busyness of the thread and the chit chat but I know I need to translate that "need for relationship" into something tangible in my own life. Sooooo, more living and less posting. Day 77. Wishing y'all a great weekend!
Old 07-14-2016, 02:06 PM
  # 436 (permalink)  

I wish you all the best Simplicity with you're endeavours you are an inspiration and yes go out and LIVE!!!

Just a little bedtime check in for me. Had a lovely steady day. Nothing earth shattering but just nice. Nice. I like that word. So looking forward to a happy weekend with my folks. I've missed them so it'll be nice to be the daughter for a couple of days.

Goodnight and here's to more sober niceness xxx
Old 07-14-2016, 02:24 PM
  # 437 (permalink)  

Wish you the best Simplicity! Please check in at some point so say HI!
Old 07-15-2016, 01:28 AM
  # 438 (permalink)  

Morning guys. Still feeling positive despite low level anxiety and tiredness but determined to keep going. Got loads to do today which is a good thing. I have a tendency to avoid jobs which leads to boredom low self esteem etc etc so I'm trying to keep more active. Plus getting my hair done at 12. Greys be gone!!!!
Take care all xxx
Old 07-15-2016, 05:19 AM
  # 439 (permalink)  

Morning all...another weekend already here!!

Active is good Jo...glad you will have some time with your parents as well and seem to be in a good frame of mind. Hopefully the time with them will refresh you and you can work on a long-term plan that fits in with your life to stay sober.

Kudos Simplicity to finding the calling to get out there and be more proactive in your life. Be sure to check-in and let us know how things are going!

LW - I watched the first episode of The Night of last night on HBO...good recommendation. Riveting stuff and first episode definitely hooks you.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:22 AM
  # 440 (permalink)  

Good morning all! Happy Friday!
Yes, another weekend is upon us. Life is good here, LOL-- the humidity broke, my sinus headache from in and out of air conditioning for the last 4 days is gone, and today is a beautiful mid 70's day.
Not too much going on here--- I have a 5 year old great niece birthday party tomorrow, so I am on a mission to find Shopkins ??? Whatever those are, but I am sure Target will have them!
Hope you all have a great day!
--Camery