Notices

Class of April 2015 Part 11

Old 06-23-2016, 08:52 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

LOL! I keep retyping my post and losing it! Hense the test test!
Long story short! Keep on keeping on gang, it sounds like everyone is having a great week. Amp, you must be excited that the year is coming to a close. My son has 1 class room day left before it's all parties and waterslides to end the school year, and my daughter received her high school diploma last night!
Old 06-23-2016, 12:15 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I miss OMD. Sent a pm. Can't go long without his words of wisdom.
Old 06-23-2016, 12:16 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cauliflower View Post
LOL! I keep retyping my post and losing it! Hense the test test!
Long story short! Keep on keeping on gang, it sounds like everyone is having a great week. Amp, you must be excited that the year is coming to a close. My son has 1 class room day left before it's all parties and waterslides to end the school year, and my daughter received her high school diploma last night!
Yes, it is a relief to finish the classes though now all the maintenance and admin work kicks in! Phew! Congrats btw on the 5 mile run! Great acheivement!
Old 06-23-2016, 12:25 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Incontrol15 View Post
I miss OMD. Sent a pm. Can't go long without his words of wisdom.
I've been thinking the same but I'm confident he's fine. I've been lazy about posting recently. Having to make myself sometimes. Nothing personal of course!!! It's just that I think less about drinking now so posting on SR is not always the first thing that comes to mind when I fire up my PC or check my phone. Maybe the same thing for OMD?
Old 06-24-2016, 04:57 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Spent the afternoon and evening burning yard waste around my burn barrel. It was on my very own day one that I spent the day listening to music while working a burn barrel. Hard to believe sometimes how long ago that seems today.
Old 06-25-2016, 07:03 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

So I've finally gotten off my butt and applied to more jobs. Got two 1st interviews lined up.

Exercise has made a huge difference for me. It's nice to be on a roll.

As one who over analyzes and things long about things, I've been putting more emphasis on just doing it.

My new name is Action Jackson.

Have a great weekend.
AJ
Old 06-25-2016, 04:18 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
OMD

Hi everyone,
Let me first say sorry for not being in touch. I haven't drifted away or forgot about my friends on here - just had one thing after another, unfortunately. I appreciated your PM Inc, thank you. I have been working like a dog and then about to post but not able to because I was interrupted for whatever reason. Have collapsed into bed each night and then up at daybreak to do it all again. Things have been a bit hectic, but you probably already spotted that's how things get for me from time to time.

So I am still here! I am so happy everyone is doing well. I am blessed because things are well for me too. I am mentally in a good place, even when fake drinking is a necessary part of my day to win business. (You heard it all before, me having to be out with people who insist on drinking to cement the relationship. I used to believe that crap). Anyway, who cares, I see it as part of the job and maybe they'll quit too some day - they should. Got friends who have aged a lot in the last year but I am looking younger, seriously! Like the booze didn't finish me off despite my best efforts. Amazing. And the exercise - well I am now utterly addicted to that but I have not been able to do much over the last couple of weeks. But I feel great because I am not drinking! Blood pressure perfect, despite all the stress...

I am going to write more when I am less exhausted. I also really need to kick the sugar. More on that later.

Best wishes
OMD
Old 06-27-2016, 03:23 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Good to hear from you OMD.
It's funny. Now that you mention it, I look younger too!
Old 06-27-2016, 09:04 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Glad things are going well OMD and Inc!

I hope your situation plays out more clearly Amp in the coming months. I think there is a lot of second guessing going on now and I think the election would turn out differently if people had a second chance this week. I think a lot of people voted to leave thinking there would be no way it would happen. I read that 10 members of the Labour shadow government resigned over the weekend. So much for England being our bastion of security in Europe. Worries me about the US this fall.

I have a glorious and badly needed 13 day break from work starting right now.It's been exactly a year since I had a week off. Going to see another concert tomorrow night and then a week at the beach starting Saturday. I need a mental and emotional recharge. Work has really been draining me and I have had the occasional "wouldn't a cold beer or glass of wine be nice now" thought enter my head, only to be quickly shooed away. At the concert I was at last week, I watched one guy continually throw up all over his car for the better part of a couple minutes. After the show, walking back to my car, no less than four people just staggered and fell to the concrete like animals hit with a tranquilizer gun. No way do I want to go back there once again. Seeing alcoholism rear it's ugly head in real life is different than sitting in front of my computer day dreaming about the good times. Always remember the reality of drinking is far different than the fantasy of drinking.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:31 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I'd agree with that. The fantasy of drinking being better than the reality, I mean.

I also have the occansional thought of "wouldn't a cold beer just hit the spot" but I try to meet these head on, reminding myself of just how bad my life was before I finally kicked the demon drink. In July 2014 I managed to stop for 6 weeks. I gave myself an ultimatum about moderation and started again with the premise of just an occasional social glass here and there. 8 months of chaos ensued. No way back.

I am deeply concerned about the situation in the UK. The closet racists spilling out into the streets, the potential fragmentation of the UK after 300 years and the uncertainty of the markets. Google reports unprecedented numbers of people from the UK googling "what is the EU?"... AFTER THE REFERENDUM. A lot of people have voted with their hearts instead of their heads, paying more head to slogans about national pride and manipulated statistics than actual facts. I think people have no idea what they have unleashed and I am actually quite scared and think the situation is spiralling out of control.

Anyway, wishing all you guys well!
Old 06-28-2016, 06:23 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

I think it was two summers ago when I decided that I would quit drinking liquor and wine for a month, and limit myself to one beer a night weekdays and two on my weekends. Almost immediately, I began to cheat. Since my weekends fall on the weekdays, I had my two each night plus I extended the weekend rule to everyone else's weekend of Saturday and Sunday. Then I saved up a couple nights worth of beers so I could catch a buzz.

Despite my alcoholism, I tried to keep myself somewhat physically fit. I was concerned about the amount of calories I was ingesting just drinking beer. I ended the beer experiment and went back to rum and diet coke. Some of the beers I was drinking were almost 200 calories a pop. I could drink nine shots of rum for the calorie equivalent of three beers and catch a better high.

Crazy thinking for sure. A diet focused alcoholic. Yet, at that stage, I didn't really think I had too much of a problem.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:44 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Enjoy the time off SG!

England...
People searching after the vote... I thought only the US was ignorant.

I had a job interview yesterday that went well. First interview. Ill be called in two weeks after background check for 2nd. It's another "ok" job. Itll pay more than what I'm making now. It's a family owned regional discount drug store, aptly named Discount Drug Mart. Their Corp office is 20min from me, so I like the idea of future growth.

I had a phone interview with a company I would much rather work for, but it had to be rescheduled.

The cool part is the I noticed the recruiter I was scheduled to interview with recruits for project managers / new store project leads. I used to do that for Kmart and my previous employer, and loved it. A lot. I wasn't looking down that path. So now I have a new focus. Love it. Normally that job requires being on the road a lot. For Kmart, I lived out of my suitcase for 2years! I'd go home 1 weekend every other month and vacations.

This company is regional and operates in a few states close to mine. Making it easier to go home on days off. I can swallow that pill. Especially for something I love doing.

Doors are opening because I am looking for them. Love it. Just like I can't believe how bad I let alcohol destroy my life, I can't believe how long I let my mistakes paralyze myself.

Part of growing I guess. Just another lesson learned that will motivate me for the rest of my life. All it takes is Action. Forced action will sustain itself in short order. And it doesn't have to be taking action in an area that is bothering me. Momentum has a way of bleeding into other areas.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:46 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stargazer016 View Post
Always remember the reality of drinking is far different than the fantasy of drinking.
I was at a sporting event and we had a severe weather warning and a delay in the game...anyhoo, a man who reeked of booze sat beside and asked me what was going on, and wondered if perhaps there was a terrorist attack.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:12 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Google is crazy with their stats...unbelievable. The last stat I found interesting was US citizens googling how to immigrate to Canada.

I was talking with my business partner who ran the full marathon here, and he said he lost an 11 year sobriety streak that day. Someone along the route was handing out orange juice to the runners and it wasn't until he drank it that he realized it had vodka in it. Not Cool At All. I told him that he should complain to the race organizers because many people in recovery become invincible, and do invincible things, like run marathons. He is not an alcoholic, but is really mad that his streak was ruined while running 26km!

I am 3.5 months smoke free and I had a major craving today. Just out of the blue...so strange. I didn't cave, but it just may be difficult this weekend with my son coming to visit, as both he and his girlfriend smoke. I guess I'll google how to overcome cravings again...I need a new goal...maybe I'll search for another race to compete in.

Alcohol doesn't bother me at all anymore except the thought of a cold beer on a hot day! But, I won't go there either, I remember sneaking beers down to the lake and getting a good buzz by myself before dinner and the wine came out. In fantasy, sipping a beer on the lake shore is nice, but I didn't do it for the romance, I did it for the buzz, I didn't pay attention to the beauty around me....just me and my beer. I'm not that person anymore, so grateful!
Old 06-30-2016, 07:50 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Yeah..I had cravings the day before yesterday. Wasn't a pent up strong one, rather nic was knocking on my door for most of the day. It was getting really annoying. They were short and easy to handle, but those, in my experience, are the most dangerous. All it takes is for one to hit when I'm in a store. Once I make a purchase, there's no stopping till the pack is gone. And you know what happens after that.

Normally, I would have a nice longlong talk with my nic addict. I'd let it have the podium and talk itself out. I'd focus in on my body and feel where and how it's effecting me.

Then it would be My turn to take the podium. I'd review what I've accomplished, calculate what I saved, how much better I feel, what it would feel like to have COPD then cancer, etc. Then finally take nice deep breaths so my body and mind can Feel the improvement.

But I was at work and didn't have the time. My lunch was even busy. Honestly, it was a working lunch. Barely had the chance to eat.

I was prepared for more urges after work and the next day. But they never came. Gone.

That's the nice part at this point. . We know they will go away.

I tried to put a thumb on what awakened the beast that day. I couldnt identify a smoking gun (lol... No pun intended). I could only guess it was a culmination of work stress and not eating well that day. My body was hungry and my mind knew it needed energy for the workload.

When the urges were hitting me, I did snack a lot, but it didn't help. But I did eat sugary snacks, so that may have compounded the problem.

Anyway...sorry you had to go through that. And in happy that you made it out!
Old 06-30-2016, 10:53 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Thanks Inc. I usually take deep breaths when a craving comes, just so that I could feel my lungs, I want to be healthy again. I feel great, but I know I could feel better in time! It's Canada Day tomorrow, so we are planning bbq and fireworks with the kids. My grandbaby is here for the weekend, I am in love that little girl! Have a great weekend eveyone!
Old 07-01-2016, 04:23 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Happy CA day!
Old 07-01-2016, 07:14 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Happy Canada Day Cauli!

How did Google know I was googling how to move to Canada?

Glad you are riding the nicotine waves Inc and Cauli!

Awesome seeing potentially better job paths opening up for you Inc!

Stay positive Amp. Hopefully, cooler heads will prevail at some point.

Have a great day everyone!
Old 07-01-2016, 12:46 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
OMD

Hello!
What a week. We are set to have a very interesting year in politics that's for sure. It's difficult to predict where this all might go in Europe but it is not looking very good right now.

Good to see everyone doing well! Special shout out for Cauli and over 3 months off the nicotine. That's a big deal!

It's a complete non-shocker that we fancy a drink every now and again. Let's face it, it would be weird if we didn't. When I fancy one I really do remember that I am living the dream, having escaped. I have been contemplating moderation because I see people do that (I mean the ones who really do, not the ones who pretend they do) and do it successfully. I have been contemplating it a lot. Only, to be honest, to be able to fit in a bit more easily on client and work things. I am over drinking for drinking sake - that holds no attraction for me now that I have things together. But I tried moderation more times than I don't know what, so my track record ain't exactly stellar. If alcohol wasn't still such a big part of social interaction I would never even think about it - it never did me any good. So, have I had a mind shift such that I could do this on work occasions or am I just finding an excuse? I don't think it's the latter but I am not going to find out - the potential downside is too great.

So, all in all, business as usual then!

I will never grow tired of getting my sh£t together.

OMD
Old 07-01-2016, 01:16 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Hey guys! Happy Canada day Cauli!

Dust settling a bit here. I was on the local radio yesterday talking about what Brexit means for UK citizens and europe, its causes and effects. A few friends listened in and said I did a great job and suggested I should celebrate. Found myself missing those little celebrations with a good bottle of wine... I had ice cream and it was fine

Today I was at a picnic with a PTA group. Man, people love rubbing your nose in it when your country's up against it. All the petty nationalist rivalry. I made an excuse and left early with my daughter. Particularly saddened by comments from people I've known for almost 10 years.

Have a good weekend guys. Hoping mine's going to look up tomorrow!