Notices

Class of April 2016 Part 6

Old 07-11-2016, 06:56 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Hey all,Charlie,the point is that you made it through the run girl!! You kept going and didn't give up kinda like this,we're in no race but still getting through and not giving up😊 86'd all artificial sweeteners yesterday and I feel better today,slept better,don't have Mondayitis, no headaches so maybe its a start,perhaps those things are as bad if not worse than real sugar on the body,too hard to process or something, Tati,you're sounding better hon,remember we are always here for you if you need a chat,vent,b-session,I too wish I lived closer to you so we could do stuff(and you could bake for us!)you seems like someone I'd really like in real life,actually you all do,not a butthead in the bunch,all lovely people,got to figure something out for my hair,bleh,hope we all have a great day😊
Old 07-11-2016, 08:49 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Good Morning All,

Day 95, I didn’t do anything this weekend. Just hanged out at home watched a movie with wife and went to church on Sunday with the family. My son was with his cuz playing video games most of the weekend. But still spent some time with him. For some reason I slept most of Sunday and I mean I slept. I was out cold and that not like me, I am a lite sleeper. But all is good cause when I woke up later in the afternoon I felt great.
I also have been thinking about all the time I wasted during my drinking days. But I am happy that I am not there anymore. I think I have closed the door to that chapter in my life. And I am looking forward to what is ahead. Making plans with family on things we would like to do and places we would like to go.
I am feeling 100 times better than before, but I know I am not fully healed yet. Like Kopfan said, drinking messes with your Brain and your brain controls a lot of stuff in your body. And the dreaded word keep’s popping up. I need to give it TIME to heal.

Really good post Kopfan, I agree drinking messes with you mind.
Congratz Susie on 90 Days. Keep them coming
Midwest - Congratz on Day 35. You picked yourself up and didn’t look back.
InControl – Great idea, I will start today and thank you for your posts. They have helped me and our group.

Sorry if I forgot anyone.
Old 07-11-2016, 06:31 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Hey all,Jose you forgot me! Haha just messin, long day at work,dang I need to figure out a new career I'm so over doing hair,dealing with nutty people,coworkers just drives me crazy,only problem is that Iddon't know what I wanna be when I grow up hope all are well
Old 07-12-2016, 02:19 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  

josec - I absolutely love that about being sober. I can make plans and know that I will stick to them. not agree them with people but in the back of my mind trying to figure out a way of getting out of them because I either want to drink or know I will be hungover.
Old 07-12-2016, 04:57 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Ditto Charlie!! I have missed many plans having a nasty hangover....

So grateful to be sober today. I'm almost at 3 whole months! (88 days today.) wow!!!! I'm so happy to be able to say that. My life is not at all perfect and I have a long way to go, but I am leaps and bounds ahead of where I was. Yeah!
Old 07-12-2016, 05:11 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Hi All, does anyone know where Dee is? I have been reading more than posting as have been at another conference. Just have not see him around and was wondering?
Old 07-12-2016, 05:12 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

It is great to be free to attend social events without having to worry about alcohol. I would not attend evening functions because that was my drinking time. Now I can.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:22 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Hey guys! Just thought I'd put my head round the door! Great to see so many of you notching up 3 months. I remember how things were for me this time last year. 3 months is a MASSIVE deal. If you can make it to 3 you've proved you can do the distance! Someone told me last year that having a drink before 3 months could be considered a relapse while beyond that point it was a choice. That was a thought that helped me keep perspective. You are in control. You drive the train. You make the choice.

Fantastic to see so many of you still on track! Stay strong friends!!!
Old 07-12-2016, 10:43 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

So true Amp. Well... Except the part that they are in control. I have dibs on that one!

There was still stuff to process in the mind for me at 3 months. Everyone is different, yet when you look around, you see similar stories. It's strange. We may be different, we may view things differently, but it seems the mental development is about the same. To a point anyway. I guess I'll settle on similar.

Which is why this place is a life saver. Nobody else understands what it took to get where you are. Very few people will actually feel genuinely happy and proud for you.

Yeah...the battle is not over. There's forgiveness, getting over regret, handling highly stressful events, or times that deserve celebration to get over. Maybe that's where we are different is in which situations and emotions we are exposed to and when.

I'll say I was very grateful for my April15 brothers posting their success stories and their struggles. Maybe I wasn't struggling with what they were at the moment, but I knew my time would come. And to witness how they grew from it made it easier for me to accept those moments when they came.

Rock on April!
Old 07-12-2016, 04:23 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Three months and one hundred days were huge for me. Anniversaries always seems to kick up my AV a little. "Hey, you have done great , you got this, have a drink. "Don't listen!

Great advice from Inc and Amp! These folks know me better than my wife when it comes to understanding the thought processes of an alcoholic. It's hard to understand how we think if you aren't one of us. There is no logic in compulsively drinking yourself to ruin.

Be aggressive in taking charge of your post recovery life. See a therapist, run a marathon, learn an instrument, or just kick back each day and savor the solitude in your head. Everyone progresses at a different pace. There are no rules in post recovery except one - don't drink.

You all should be immensely proud for making it to this point. I saw the number of folks whom had a Day 1 in April 2016. You are getting a well earned second chance at life. Enjoy it! Make the most of it. We in April 2015 know how freakin hard it is.
Old 07-12-2016, 06:36 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Hi everyone just a quick hello. I love all the visits and encouragement from class of April 2015.
I've had a yucky couple,of,days. Pulled my lower back somehow sun afternoon (maybe in the pool with kids?) and as a result had very little sleep Sun night, then long painful,work day Mon. Then slept better last night but only about 4 hours cause had to get up super early to finish a work presentation.
Back is much better now although still hurts. Walked a couple,of miles while waiting for my son at soccer practice, and about to go on quick walk,with the dog. Couple,of the kids are going with me because one of my girls just downloaded Pokemon Go. They are under strict instructions of what they can and can't do because I saw some warnings on the Internet. Anyway seems silly to me but will see . Have a great night everyone. I'm off to sleep as soon as walk is done.
Old 07-12-2016, 06:43 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Thanks for taking the time to share your wisdom with us April 2015 class. It is great that your class is still going strong. I hope ours continues too.

Suzie- I am sorry to hear about your back. I hope you sleep better tonight. I think you will since you got a lot of fresh air and exercise!

I stayed busy today..I am beat!! I hope everyone has a great evening.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:10 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Thanks Midwest! Hope you get rested up tonight too.

Wow, this Pokemon thing is crazy. There were no less than 50 people (mostly teens) congregated at our neighborhood park playing.
Old 07-13-2016, 12:19 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Originally Posted by ring View Post
Hi All, does anyone know where Dee is? I have been reading more than posting as have been at another conference. Just have not see him around and was wondering?
I just think Dee is taking an occasional long weekend here and there. He is also trying to find a better work/life balance and spend more time on his music. I know it seems that he is always here seven days a week, 16 hours a day. All done as a volunteer! He really is an incredible individual who has helped countless people towards sobriety.
Old 07-13-2016, 03:25 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Morning Everyone!

80 days.

The last couple of days have been spent mostly sleeping. Last night I went to bed at 9pm read a book for a bit and woke up this morning at 8.30am which means I slept without waking for over ten hours. Proper sleep. Deep sleep. Recovery from the fearful abuse I put myself through over the last years of my alcoholism.

There. I said it. I'm an alcoholic. If I denied it before it was because I was in denial. My sobriety shows me that my drinking was doing damage to my life that I didn't even know about. Or worse even care about. The last five years have been the desperate cries of a tormented soul trying to find a path that never existed. I never would find any measure of success in a bottle no matter how hard I looked. And I looked again and again and again and again. The bottle always came up empty.

I tried so hard to work whilst drinking. But the drinking made the work harder. So I drank to enter a world where I didn't have to try. The real world kept getting in my way. Eventually I realised I should stop trying to escape a life that I could only change by being sober. That is my reality. I can change things if I don't drink and accept it will take time. And they have started to change already. Escaping into a bottle will put me in a fantasy world where I don't exist. Just a ghost passing through. Unable to make a difference to anything.

Alcoholic is such a strong word isn't it. How do you have a lighter version? Drink abuser, "he drinks too much", "fond of a drink", "likes a drink", likes to blackout every time he touches the stuff, lives his life in a constant state of torpor. "Drinks too much for his own good" , "likes a pint - or ten", "likes a glass of wine - or two bottles is not quite enough".

The fact that I could drink all my mates under the table years ago was a badge of honour. Somehow it made me more manly. People would point to my pot belly and I'd beam "Yep - all paid for" as if it made me some kind of drinking God. It's a terribly sad indictment of my life.

I don't need to get to three months to make my choice. If I go back to drink it will end my life. Not literally, but mentally and spiritually I will be a dead man walking for the rest of my days. This is my chance to change things and I'm taking it.

It's time to make plans I can keep. To stop dreaming and start doing.

Have a great day everyone!
Old 07-13-2016, 04:29 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

kofan - you will be absolutely fine!

This pokemon thing hasn't hit the UK yet I don't think but I'm seeing it everywhere already.

I think one of the Dads on our football team is an alcoholic. Everyone jokes about how much he drinks but it's not funny. People have started to say to me now they think he has a problem.
Old 07-13-2016, 04:42 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone and congratulations on all achievements!. Kopfan once again a great post. resonated with me deeply.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:03 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Hey all,last night was awful for me,I seriously felt like drinking over nothing, Idon't know if I've been letting work get to me,hubs' job change get to me subconsciously or what,I was fine all day,afternoon and then the evening hit me with that same out of body feeling I used to get before a relapse shaky legs,dizziness,stomach urgency,just feeling a total disconnect,it was so sudden and weird,luckily it was nearly bed time so I just went and laid down early,I don't know what it was but I don't want it back,hope all are well,enjoy your day.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:10 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

I did hit 80 days yesterday,didn't realize it until I seen Kopfans post,maybe it was early PAWS who knows,congrats Kopfan and all the other milestoners!
Old 07-13-2016, 06:15 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Kofan,

Thanks for your well expressed insights.

I also have been sleeping a lot lately. I fall asleep at 8PM reading a book and get up between 5 and 6 AM.