SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of May 2016 Support Thread Part 5 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/392431-class-may-2016-support-thread-part-5-a.html)

joandmelandhan 06-10-2016 10:07 AM

Hi everyone and hope your Friday is going well. Went to AA today as you know. It was a nice small group and I did share some of my story. One thing that hit me was that without exception they all said the steps removed all desire to drink completely! Really? I am totally open to AA as something to structure my sobriety but the jury is still put on the whole god bit etc. Anyway I'm going again tomorrow morning (I know yeah?) as I'll be child free so why not. If I can fit meetings on when the girls are away it will keep me safe from temptation and hopefully the message will begin to sink in after a while.

Open minded Jo-Jo here 😊

ben83 06-10-2016 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by joandmelandhan (Post 5993501)
Hi everyone and hope your Friday is going well. Went to AA today as you know. It was a nice small group and I did share some of my story. One thing that hit me was that without exception they all said the steps removed all desire to drink completely! Really? I am totally open to AA as something to structure my sobriety but the jury is still put on the whole god bit etc. Anyway I'm going again tomorrow morning (I know yeah?) as I'll be child free so why not. If I can fit meetings on when the girls are away it will keep me safe from temptation and hopefully the message will begin to sink in after a while.

Open minded Jo-Jo here 😊

glad you got on ok jo! I don't think I could stomach the god bit either.

joandmelandhan 06-10-2016 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by ben83 (Post 5992936)
Morning jo good luck with your meeting. I've decided I'm not going to any I thought about it but i figure i can get this far with just you guys and Reading everyone's posts is enough support for me. It's funny I was bored last night around 10 pm so I went to the pub and had a coke. It was nice no one questioned it I just sat with the guys had my drink and drove home. I have a stag weekend in Wales I've been invited to in august and I'm toying with the idea of just letting myself slip that weekend. It's all my old friends from school. I'm not saying this so you try and talk me out of it its months away. But.... can there really be any harm in going for it every now and then. I've managed to stay sober for 41 days I don't imagine I'll suffer the same problems I did quitting as I did after 16 years of everyday drinking. I also don't believe this is my addiction talking because I'm talking about a date 2 months in the future not about a sneaky drink today.

Hi Ben. I've been thinking a lot about your post. All I can say is what I know from my own perspective. Without a shadow of a doubt 100% I would be back in the pit of active alcoholism no matter how many weeks/months/years I has under my belt. I've done it Ben after 8 wonderful sober months. Also.....a stag weekend (bachelor party to our US friends) is booze booze booze. Maybe even more so for you after a break from it. I'd never lecture you I've no right but please use the time to think carefully about it.

ben83 06-10-2016 11:06 AM

I know what your saying. And I know realistically that it might be a bad idea but at the same time I think I'm gonna have to choose some occasions in my life where I can let my hair down. I know I will not be able to go forever without drinking the odd night and think it's better to choose those rather than let them choose me.. If it's twice a year then so be it. by the time the stag do comes around I will have 3 and a half months of sobriety under my belt. So physically surely I won't go through the same thing I did this time. It will just be like anyone else's hangover. I won't be drinking in the morning after because I will be driving back from Wales. Anyway I have my blood tests Monday morning so I should know if this has all been worth it by the end of next week. If my body has recovered in 6 weeks from 16 years of heavy drinking. I'm sure I will be fine after a little knees up with some old friends. I know this is the complete opposite of what people should be saying on here. But I will repeat it's not till August I'm not going to have a drink any time soon. I just don't want this addiction to hang over me for the rest of my life and believe it's better to choose when to drink rather than drink coke for the rest of my life dwelling on drinking to much during some silly years. I don't expect anyone to agree with me. But that's my feelings.

ben83 06-10-2016 11:16 AM

On another depressing note! I'm so annoyed. I've been at work all.week and now I've been told I'm staying in on my own tonight and tomorrow with the kids while she goes out with her mates. She is off to an Elton John concert tomorrow so I will let her off that but Friday and Saturday on your own when I work the week and she doesn't just feels like she is taking the **** a bit. not a happy chap today. might just go bed early and wait till tomorrow.
I hate depressing posts so ill just add this
Emoji :dee to lighten the mood

Madnellie 06-10-2016 12:20 PM

Just wanted to say hi to everyone, I'm somewhat late to the party but my sober date is May 6th 2016, so I hope I'm OK to join in here?

joandmelandhan 06-10-2016 12:22 PM

Ben you've been totally honest and I'm sure you will continue to be which is really the bottom line here on SR.

CaseyW 06-10-2016 12:24 PM

Welcome madnellie and congrats on a month+! I'm technically not a member of this class but I like it a lot so hang around and chime in too often.

ben83 06-10-2016 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Madnellie (Post 5993647)
Just wanted to say hi to everyone, I'm somewhat late to the party but my sober date is May 6th 2016, so I hope I'm OK to join in here?

Welcome madnellie very welcome and well done on all that time sober (can't be bothered to work out the days)

joandmelandhan 06-10-2016 12:28 PM

Had an unexpected big time wobble this evening. For all the AA meeting was helpful( and pleasant too if I'm honest) it set my AV off big time. "I'm not nearly as bad as they were" being the main theme. Then my girls went to their dad's and its Friday night.........full on overdrive craving then...... I talked it through with my bf (we don't usually talk about it tbh) and then a good long cry.
It's amazing how you can flip from feeling positive to wanting to sell your right arm for wine in the space of half an hour.
I've taken myself to bed with (yes you've guessed it) a herbal tea and my laptop for SR inspiration.
I WILL NOT DRINK TODAY NO MATTER WHAT!

CaseyW 06-10-2016 12:36 PM

joandmelandhan--Anytime my addiction starts throwing thoughts like "I'm not nearly as bad as they were" or "At least I never did x or y" at me, I have to remember that I need to add the word "yet" to the end of those sentences. Because there's no limit to the low spots and bottoms that my drinking is capable of taking me. This is most definitely a progressive addiction. Glad you're not going to drink today. No matter what. Steer clear of that first drink and you never have to worry about those yets. Wishing you the best!

joandmelandhan 06-10-2016 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by CaseyW (Post 5993665)
joandmelandhan--Anytime my addiction starts throwing thoughts like "I'm not nearly as bad as they were" or "At least I never did x or y" at me, I have to remember that I need to add the word "yet" to the end of those sentences. Because there's no limit to the low spots and bottoms that my drinking is capable of taking me. This is most definitely a progressive addiction. Glad you're not going to drink today. No matter what. Steer clear of that first drink and you never have to worry about those yets. Wishing you the best!

Thank you Casey and you are so right.....YET!

:thanks

ben83 06-10-2016 12:47 PM

At least you made it through jo. I was wondering how the "I'm not as bad as them" thoughts would affect me if I went to a meeting. I have friends who are worse than me and it was one of the things that stopped my quitting for years. I would say I'm not an alcoholic look at him he is an alcoholic his wife has left him and he's lost his house. But I guess I was just at an earlier stage I would have ended up like him I'm sure if I'd carried on much longer.

Well I'm safe in bed as well with lemonade and a chicken burger. With my son watching banana man again on you tube.

joandmelandhan 06-10-2016 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by ben83 (Post 5993678)
At least you made it through jo. I was wondering how the "I'm not as bad as them" thoughts would affect me if I went to a meeting. I have friends who are worse than me and it was one of the things that stopped my quitting for years. I would say I'm not an alcoholic look at him he is an alcoholic his wife has left him and he's lost his house. But I guess I was just at an earlier stage I would have ended up like him I'm sure if I'd carried on much longer.

Well I'm safe in bed as well with lemonade and a chicken burger. With my son watching banana man again on you tube.

Chicken burger yum! You boys know how to live!

ben83 06-10-2016 12:54 PM

Well actually it's a fake chicken burger we had some southern fried quorn burgers left over from the bbq when we accidentally invited a vegetarian! quite nice though I would definitely buy them again.

ben83 06-10-2016 12:59 PM

No chance of me giving up meat though. Cigarettes alcohol in one year is enough anything else and I might as well crawl into a hole in the woods with a bottle of soy milk and some lentils singing about mother earth on a guitar made from organic hemp and sustainable timber !:lmao

joandmelandhan 06-10-2016 01:01 PM

Yeah well I'm off to make a sarnie now I've got the munchies!
Enjoy your evening with your little boy tonight Ben.

ben83 06-10-2016 01:39 PM

Well just when I thought I couldn't get any more bored I find myself online shopping for a little insulated milk bottle holder so our milk delivery doesn't get warm in the morning!

Actually very difficult to buy online for some reason. funny the things you do on a Friday night when sober.

CaseyW 06-10-2016 01:45 PM

They still do home milk delivery in England?

ben83 06-10-2016 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by CaseyW (Post 5993767)
They still do home milk delivery in England?

Yep it's expensive 3 times as expensive but the milk is better and the farmer get his fair cut and the milk man needs to earn a living. We live in a village so it's nice to support the milkman. Supermarkets in England are practically stealing milk from dairy farmers. so its better for everyone