SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of May 2016 Support Thread Part 5 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/392431-class-may-2016-support-thread-part-5-a.html)

Simplicity4114 06-05-2016 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Lonelywombat67 (Post 5985752)
Keep coming back. Everyone here has your back. I slipped up too. Then I smartened up and got rid of a few stressors in my life so I can concentrate on getting well. My daughter has finished her detox for Benzo addiction and is going to meetings. I can tell she's doing better even from far away. I stopped the complicated process of getting my house ready for a refinance loan. I was getting non stop calls and would have had to get a number of little jobs done to get a good assessment. I rescheduled a dental appointment. I just reached a point where I could not deal any more. Now the question I ask myself is how I'm ever going to get through this election cycle sober. Just kidding I guess. Politics is probably off limits for the forums or should be, but seriously, don't you British and Australians feel sorry for us just a little?

Glad to hear you're putting yourself & your sobriety first Wombat! :You_Rock_

SickOfIt79 06-05-2016 04:25 PM

I'm debating on whether to continue my anti-depressants. I started taking it May 1st to treat my social anxiety which I had since a child. I stopped drinking May 8th after a week of slowing down, and it was much easier to stop because I was so tired(was taking benzos too for a couple weeks) plus motivated because of the medication.

Now I feel like a good portion of that anxiety was due to the drinking and I don't want to be on pills anymore. It's creating some side effects that I don't like. I also don't want to suddenly have a strong urge to start drinking again.

Flossyteacake 06-05-2016 04:36 PM

We moved. :)

Jo - one of my very favourite quotes is from Winston Churchill: "If you're going through hell, keep going". Something that applies nicely to recovery from alcoholism, don't you think? Tomorrow's a whole new day. Dust yourself off and keep going.

Two sick children at home today. It's gonna be a long one ...

KarenOskie 06-05-2016 07:16 PM

Hey everyone, I had a great sober weekend. So sorry you slipped Jo. I know well how that feels.
My sobriety date is May 4, but I was already in the April group so I pretty much stayed there. It's good to see everyone here, though.
Sweet sober dreams!

whiteturtle 06-05-2016 07:25 PM

Hey, everyone. I am laying in bed about to read and eventually sleep, after this crazy, hectic, stressful, nonstop, draining weekend. And I am two weeks sober.

I am really surprised but happy at how mentally present I have been in recovery this time around. Last time I tried, it was almost like I was just waiting for when I would relapse, like it wasn't something that I was 100% committed to, even while being committed to it...if that makes any sense... This time, when I have a craving and fight it off, I'm not just thinking, I fought it again, I wonder how much longer it'll be before I finally do cave. I'm thinking that I AM sober, and I triumphed through another difficult hurdle, which stinks to deal with, but that's the hard work of sobriety. I'm not sure I'm making much sense here at all...but I am happy with my sobriety this time.

I do get the fear of missing out still. I think that is my most difficult hurdle with sobriety. Like, I won't be able to sip champagne at my wedding someday. Or get drunk at my bachelorette party. Or sip whiskey with my dad during games of Monopoly. Or get drunk with my sister and play Rock Band. I don't know, there's those little things that I know don't necessarily require alcohol to be what they are, but it's still hard to let go.

Anywho, there have been some real rough patches. However, I am glad to be here two weeks sober, and not only that, but really committed to it.

I hope everyone is doing well, or better, or great... Please, all, keep posting no matter what happens or what you are feeling! I know I do, and you guys put up with it. :p haha

Goodnight, Mayflies!

Caramel 06-05-2016 09:02 PM

One day at a time, whiteturtle - we don't have to live through all the days today :)
Best wishes, all xx

joandmelandhan 06-05-2016 11:51 PM

Good morning all. Feeling pretty rubbish and very anxious. Quite scary how bad I feel considering but guilt is a big part of that. I upset my girls yesterday. The depression hits hard for me in these circumstances and I want to drink again. Can't. I know that.
Please keep doing well my friends. I will too x

Elke516 06-06-2016 03:36 AM

Hey Jo, could to see you're back on track. Ups and downs will always happen, it's how we deal with them that counts. Reading the posts from yesterday it's great to see how well you took on the support. You have some great friends here, that wonderful.

I stopped counting days as for me it's just today that counts, so every morning is a new beginning. I will not drink today!

I 'spent' most of my SR time on the weekender threat, a good bunch of people there too.

Best of luck Jo and everyone! You're all such great people. :You_Rock_

maz36 06-06-2016 03:41 AM

Hello everyone! I made it through my first 24hrs. Just wanted to introduce myself and wish everyone well! :) Beautiful, sunny day here in Scotland. Feeling hopeful.

Simplicity4114 06-06-2016 03:48 AM

Hang in there Jo! Agreed, guilt is the worst! Just remember not to spend too much time looking through the rear view mirror of life....you're not going that way! One day at a time friend :grouphug:

Razorblade66 06-06-2016 04:15 AM

Hey everyone! Thanks for sharing. This is great to read to start my day.

What awesome people all of you are.

nyala 06-06-2016 04:25 AM

Hello everyone,

I have just read this thread instead of doing lots of other - arguably - more important things.

Ben - I still have to struggle with the thought that I am not a 'real alcoholic'. This for me is just as dangerous as the notion of drinking. This addictive voice is cunning. I say to my AV "Lets not drink today, and debate the subject tomorrow."

Jo - You will look back on this as a very important moment. You slipped, you posted here, you poured it out ( admitting to the regrets while doing so )and you came back and posted some more here. That's huge !

White Turtle - I guarantee that attending social events will not trouble you when you attend them in the future. Top tip is to avoid them at all costs until you are ready. You will know when you are ready.

Mayflies, I hope you don't mind me jumping in in this thread - I am also mixing it with the June Bugs.

My home class was June 15, and my first experience of SR..

That was not my first attempt to stop drinking, but in retrospect my first attempt to become sober.

And today I have one whole year of sobriety :)

Milestones are always an excuse for a wobble, and the last couple of weeks have required me to be extra vigilant, so thank you - sincerely - to everyone who has shared in this group. You have helped me get through each day and get to bed sober each night.

What you are doing here is massive.

It is not easy, but it is simple and it is worth it.

You are worth it.

Go well everyone...

Fradley

tootiesdad 06-06-2016 05:18 AM

22 days for me! Hope everyone has a great and stress-free day...

Elke516 06-06-2016 06:49 AM

Welcome Maz, good to have you here!

Fradley, huge congrats to the golden 1! Very inspiring, thank you!

Tootiesday, very well done to 22 days! Fab u lous!
:scoregood

dickensen 06-06-2016 07:18 AM

maz,

One day at a time. Get plenty to eat and drink plenty of fluids. Every day will get a little easier.

CaseyW 06-06-2016 07:26 AM

Congrats on one year, Fradley. It's been a joy for me to share this journey with you from the start. Keep on doing the next right thing!

CountryGal123 06-06-2016 08:46 AM

Back from vacay!

Survived vacation! Back in civilization again- hope everyone's doing well!

I have a ton of reading to catch up on now that I have internet again lol

CountryGal123 06-06-2016 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by joandmelandhan (Post 5986495)
Good morning all. Feeling pretty rubbish and very anxious. Quite scary how bad I feel considering but guilt is a big part of that. I upset my girls yesterday. The depression hits hard for me in these circumstances and I want to drink again. Can't. I know that.
Please keep doing well my friends. I will too x

Hugs, my friend!!!!! U r here now and that's what matters 😁👏

joandmelandhan 06-06-2016 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by CountryGal123 (Post 5987050)
Survived vacation! Back in civilization again- hope everyone's doing well!

I have a ton of reading to catch up on now that I have internet again lol

Country gal. You're back!!!! So pleased I've missed you.
I've put myself back quite a bit but I'm so pleased to have all you guys. It'd be so nice to really meet up for a group hug and a chat lol!
Anyway nice to hear from you again x

CountryGal123 06-06-2016 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by joandmelandhan (Post 5987081)
Country gal. You're back!!!! So pleased I've missed you.
I've put myself back quite a bit but I'm so pleased to have all you guys. It'd be so nice to really meet up for a group hug and a chat lol!
Anyway nice to hear from you again x

Thanks, Jo! Glad to be back- would luv to give u a real hug!