SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of May 2016 Support Thread Part 5 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/392431-class-may-2016-support-thread-part-5-a.html)

joandmelandhan 06-13-2016 01:18 PM

Great job Elke! That's a wonderful achievement x

Elke516 06-13-2016 01:34 PM

Thank you Jo, I'm quite chuffed too. It made me stronger...

joandmelandhan 06-13-2016 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Elke516 (Post 5998314)
Thank you Jo, I'm quite chuffed too. It made me stronger...

Even better. You made it through and came out stronger. Perfect!

Arpeggioh 06-13-2016 04:12 PM

I just have to say, I feel truly blessed to be a member of this group of caring, supportive, intelligent people. I don't usually gush, and no I've not been drinking, but I absolutely love reading all the pages I've missed here when I get home from work. Virtual Group Hug!!:grouphug: Jeez, I'm such a girly-man...I'm feelin' the luv, y'all! Happy sober Tuesday ahead, please post often...Arp (Smoky Jo made me laugh, thx.)

Simplicity4114 06-13-2016 04:43 PM

Hey All! I'm identifying with so much of what y'all are going through! Took "off" the month of May from pretty much everything (exercising, eating well, cooking, etc.) I did pick up some good sober habits though like sleeping in pajamas vs. fully dressed, brushing my teeth every night, and daily showering rather than a 2nd coat of deodorant ;) Gross I know but all true....was too busy drinking everyday to be bothered with time consuming stuff like personal hygiene. Don't think the hubby has missed my hairy legs. :yikes:
Towards the end of May I started working out and watching what I ate....but I've cheated. Sobriety is still my focal point....and I'm an all or nothing girl myself.....so I'm trying to focus on balance in all these other areas. It's been difficult. Baby steps I guess. I used Chantix to quit smoking, It worked well.....and quickly. Still had to break the psychological addition, but the physical part was reasonable. Gave me super vivid weird dreams though.
Wishing everyone a good evening/day!:grouphug:

Jo-awesome job beating the AV! Mine's a sneaky little sucker too. :a043:

CountryGal123 06-13-2016 05:21 PM

Great job Elke and Jo! Jo, u made it past the wine store, and Elke, I'm amazed u only needed sparkling water to get through your holiday. I need, like, a vat of diet soda 😁😝

Simplicity, good heavens, that is EXACTLY what I did! Who needs to be concerned with things like bathing/shaving/brushing when you're busy getting loaded? At least, that was me, fer shizzles. I was so gross. Your story about PJ's made me chuckle - just last night I was telling the hubs how I need to wake up clean and in my jammies to feel like I've taken care of myself. Go hand in hand for me LOL

Arp, what a nice compliment! Ditto the virtual group hug - luv the mayflies. Honestly, a virtual lifeline for me.

Happy to report made it through another bike ride this evening. Lost control on the loose gravel at one point when a car was coming but didn't fall off and regained control. Laughed at myself and moved on. Previous drinking-me would have freaked, either embarrassed or miffed off and turned around, went home, and got loaded. Instead, finished my route, had s healthy dinner, and just made a fruit smoothie for dessert. Then it's bath time and - u called it - jammies!!! Lol

Take care mayflies!

whiteturtle 06-13-2016 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Arpeggioh (Post 5998472)
I just have to say, I feel truly blessed to be a member of this group of caring, supportive, intelligent people. I don't usually gush, and no I've not been drinking, but I absolutely love reading all the pages I've missed here when I get home from work. Virtual Group Hug!!

I feel exactly the same. And I am so sorry, everyone, for not responding to all of the posts like I should. :( I am reading everyone's posts, though, keeping up and cheering and crying with you all. I don't think I would make it with all of this without you guys. Mayflies are aMAYzing...haaaaaa....that was soo bad.

This afternoon/evening was really tough. I ended up getting out of work early, so instead of the usual 12-hour Monday, it was only 9 hours. Before sobriety, I would have been overjoyed to have the extra hours to get drunk earlier, not to mention not have to leave for work tomorrow until 1pm...perfect excuse to stay up late and get hammered but still be able to sleep it off decently before work. I was craving wine so badly, no matter what I did. It almost physically hurt to "give up" such a "great" opportunity for drinking. It was the first time in my sobriety that I was really craving the escapism part of it more than just wanting wine out of habit. It was a little scary how sure I was that I needed it to enjoy myself. There were MANY times in the span of several hours that I was POSITIVE I was going to go out to get wine. Like, 1000% sure it was just going to happen.

The thing that saved me really wasn't looking ahead to how I'd feel tomorrow or anything, but actually thinking about taking that first sip. I really deeply pictured not just going out and getting the wine, but being back home with a glass poured, knowing that I would have to physically be responsible for lifting the glass to my mouth and drinking, knowing how hard I have worked the last three weeks and what a big step back it would be.

I'm still really afraid of being able to keep this up forever. But I suppose for now I should just be happy that I weathered some powerful addict urges and am now about to go to bed still sober, and waking up tomorrow not having ruined all the work.

Congratulations to everyone for keeping on!! If sounds like there is a lot of momentum and positivity amongst the Mayflies; maybe we are just feeding off of each other's help and successes!! Goodnight or morning to all!

Elke516 06-13-2016 11:54 PM

Good morning all, here's to a sober Tuesday.

Simplicity and CountryGal you made me laugh.... same here, definitely looking after myself at lot lot more. It's great to be sober! (and smelling of soap LOL) :c011:

WT - one day at a time, me too thinking ahead too much some times but you can only live today. Lets make it our best day ever. :scoregood

I will not drink today!

It's calf tagging here this morning, will try and take some pics. Need to practice uploading pics on SR.

joandmelandhan 06-14-2016 12:30 AM

Morning all!
Great waking up catching up with you all. I have defo decided to give myself a break on anything except drinking for now. If I try too much I fear my focus on sobriety may weaken so that's that (she said chuffing on a cig lol).
I too confess that hygiene was an issue for me. I feel proud to shower and clean my teeth daily! Mad! It's like being a small child again!
Whiteturtle that change in routine was probably the trigger for your cravings so huge well done for riding it through. I know when my routine goes out the window I am very vulnerable. It's like in my mind I've extra "free" time to drink. Stupid!
Wishing you all a lovely day. Catch up soon xxx

Flossyteacake 06-14-2016 01:48 AM

Evening check in. I'm still here! Life just gets busy sometimes. I wonder where I used to fit drinking in ...

Happy Tuesday everyone. :)

Simplicity4114 06-14-2016 02:24 AM

Morning Mayflies! Congrats WT on beating that craving! I've experienced only 2 nights of insane cravings since quitting (thank God)......but the very same thing kept me from drinking...the thought of that first sip and all my hard work going down the toilet. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and for sharing what gave you the strength to remain sober! :grouphug:

Arpeggioh 06-14-2016 02:57 AM

5:42am in northern Michigan, and no idea why I'm awake so early, but I know just where to spend the extra morning time before work!

Speaking of -- WhiteTurtle, you and I suffer from the same major trigger: unexpected time off work. Long holiday weekends, I can plan for having extra time off. But a 4 hour appointment (I'm a home health aide) cancels, and the end of my work day is suddenly noon? Fuggeddaboutit, that there is like the Universe inviting me to drown myself in vodka! Like you, feeling that I'm "wasting" an opportunity for early weekday drinking! That is soooo not how normal people think...major congrats on talking yourself down from the scary ledge!

I also need to correct my screwed up sobriety math: yesterday was five weeks (I quit on May 9.) Maybe I should stop counting, I get ahead of myself looking for milestones...plus I suck at math; just call me Jethro...

I need more coffee; a good and sober Tuesday for all my dear Mayflies! Arp

joandmelandhan 06-14-2016 03:33 AM

Amber alert time! I'm feeling physically a lot better today. The mental battle begins!!!!
I will NOT drink today!

Elke516 06-14-2016 03:44 AM

Hey Jo and Arp, you CAN do it! Eye of the Tiger!:grouphug:

I won't drink with you today!

joandmelandhan 06-14-2016 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by Elke516 (Post 5999087)
Hey Jo and Arp, you CAN do it! Eye of the Tiger!:grouphug:

I won't drink with you today!

Okay Elke so now the song is on my head!!!! Probably for the rest of the day now....hahaha!!!!

CountryGal123 06-14-2016 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by Simplicity4114 (Post 5999017)
Morning Mayflies! Congrats WT on beating that craving! I've experienced only 2 nights of insane cravings since quitting (thank God)......but the very same thing kept me from drinking...the thought of that first sip and all my hard work going down the toilet. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and for sharing what gave you the strength to remain sober! :grouphug:

Well said! Know what else? If you're like me, it would be more than hard work going down the toilet if I cave in to my addiction

Sorry -so bad

Where's a drum ga-cha when u need one? Hee-hee-hee

U guys r gonna ban my horrible humor ...

CountryGal123 06-14-2016 05:48 AM

I guys crack me up!!

And now that song is IN my head! Know what else is funny? That song popped in my head last night when I was the little engine that could on my bike ride. ...insert crazy raised eyebrows here...hmmm...

Woke up with a broken blood vessel today. What is this madness? Finally sober and keep running into things, waking up with broken blood vessels, good grief, Charlie Brown!

I hear everyone on the early out for drinking time...same here. It was like, doing anything REALLY was cutting into my drinking time. Shudder. Seems a lot different now.

Last night had my first nightmare about drinking. Didn't drink in the dream but it kept tempting me and I was having mental arguments with myself to keep from drinking in the dream. Woke up soooo thankful it was all just a dream.

Well, better get to work. I join u all in that I will not drink today no matter what!!

Happy Tuesday, all 🤗😊

Eagle108 06-14-2016 07:54 AM

Happy Tuesday all!! Count me in on the not drinking today...

Great to see everyone doing so well!

Camery03 06-14-2016 07:58 AM

Hey everyone!
Sorry I haven't been on the last week or so. I have been reading but just once a day. I decided Saturday to do a complete overhaul on my house, since when I was drinking I wasn't much of a clean "freak". I mean I never really was, but I really needed to get !@#$ picked up. So, every day since then, I have taken it room by room, closet by closet, etc. No where near done, ( geez, can you say HOARDER?) but it has been a little bit like Christmas here. Seems as if every day I find a new/old treasure I had packed away, or LOL never unpacked when I moved.
Congrats to all of you having some great strides in your sobriety!! And for those struggling keep on keepin on!!! You can do it, and this is the right place to get there.
I have done well. Quit date was May 11, so I guess just over a month and not a drop. Cravings come and go, but to be honest, the thought of that vodka hitting my lips just curdles my stomach. ( good or bad IDK, but it works)
Anyways, just wanted to drop in and say hi to all my fellow Mayflies-- old and new!
Have a great day everyone!
-- Camery

CountryGal123 06-14-2016 08:15 AM

Hey Camery & Eagle!!

Yep! Keep on keepin' on 🤗😋