Notices

Class of February 2016 Part 18

Old 05-21-2016, 09:00 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Sounds good Leezer. I had a bowl of vanilla with chocolate syrup on top about 2 hours ago. Sounds like home to me.......
Old 05-21-2016, 11:10 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

It's 11 on the US west coast. It's been a busy day for me, but really no AV to speak of. It's weird how some days have zero temptation, and other days are a real struggle. I know there's triggers for relapse or thinking about relapse, but I don't know if I've truly identified my triggers.
Anyway, I've made it safely through day 107, and tomorrow is a full schedule and I'm happy and healthy and in a good place, so I think I will be okay tomorrow too.
Old 05-21-2016, 11:12 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Welcome, Stevie Ray Vaughn, I mean, JimmyJam.
Old 05-21-2016, 11:57 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Morning everyone, feeling pretty tired today. 4 more days of work to go. I'm hoping it gets less tiring the more I get used to it. My body's adapting to actually having to turn up to work.

Good to hear that AV didn't give you any trouble OOTT. It used to feel like not much was triggering my cravings either. I'm not entirely sure if I got better at identifying them or whether the triggerless cravings stopped altogether. Where I'm at now, my biggest trigger is anxiety/nerves.

Welcome back to class JimmyJam! You like ice cream so you'll fit in well here.

AJ - I've never had a tick infestation, but it doesn't sound like much fun!
Old 05-22-2016, 07:31 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Good morning. Hope everyone has a wonderful Sunday. Looking forward to sharing the "journey". Day 100 for myself. Been wet in south Texas so lots of yard work today maybe watch a little golf in the afternoon.

I hope the folks who were with the class early on but are not posting anymore are doing well. Any updates?
Old 05-22-2016, 09:02 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Hi all. I posted with the class early on, but couldn't keep up with the fast pace of it...but I'm still here and doing well.

Day 112 I think. The hardest thing I'm managing is coping with my hubby getting drunk. It causes me such anxiety, and I just need to learn how to manage my emotions around this. I've cried lots over this and he is trying to curb it. We will see.

But the rest of my life is going really well. I'm going to AA meetings and have found a great group who inspire me. Unfortunately my sponsor starting drinking again, but I seem to be coping ok without one.

I do read this thread from time to time, it's great to see everyone doing so well. Love and hugs to you all ❤️
Old 05-22-2016, 11:38 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

JJ--A hundred days is a real accomplishment!

Day 83 for me, and a good day. Glad you went ahead and accepted the Ice Cream addiction, JJ. It runs deep in this thread. lol You'll love this group of people.

OOT--Identifying those triggers is key. It's the only thing that kept me from drinking on Friday, and I had been so strong up until that day when every single trigger hit me at once.
Old 05-22-2016, 11:51 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Welcome back JJ and Jeni!

Day 11 for me, feels good being back to double digits! I'm back to dark chocolate vs ice cream. Will see how that goes. One square usually satisfies me. vs a pint of ice cream! It was fun ripping through the B&J flavors to decide favorite. (Brownie Batter CORE here)
Old 05-22-2016, 01:49 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

First day at my actual shop today. Co-workers were very nice and so were the majority of the customers. One or two really awful people but that's part of the retail package unfortunately! 4 more days to go but they're quite short shifts, next week is looking a little freer for me. I feel like I'm coming down with a cold as well, can't it wait?!

Sadie - Are you introducing chocolate to the class now as well? Galaxy cookie crumble and Aero vanilla are my go to chocolate bars!
Phish Food is the best B&J flavour though.

Lee - Congrats on Day 83!

Good to see you back Jeni, good to hear you're getting a lot of support through AA.

JimmyJam - Very well done on Day 100!
I'm still pining for Paix Amour and opalblue. Where did they get to?
Old 05-22-2016, 02:50 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Dee that is an accomplishment. Gives the rest of us hope. Good work man.

Welcome back JJ and Jeni.
Old 05-22-2016, 06:02 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Got all the yard work done so time to check on the peeps...

OT- Glad you had a decent workday. Hope fully you can get some much needed rest next week.

Jeni- I can relate to the hubby getting drunk scenario because i was the drunk. My wife is a "normie" and rarely drinks. How she put up with me for 35 years is a mystery. I hope things work out for you'll and can come to some type of agreement that works for both of you.

Sadie- Congrats on double digits. My fav ice cream is a hot fudge sundae which i will indulge in after posting.

Shout out to Mel, OOTT, Badger, Leezer, PHRD, Jobei., Amazing Joy, 360startstoday, Zen Lifter, SansaS, and rest of group...

Jimmy
Old 05-22-2016, 06:03 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Lee, congrats on day 83.
What a life changer this is. I'm still amazed at all of this. I really never thought I had a problem. Drinking was my thing, and in my 20s I was really good at it. I prided myself on being a "good drinker." Little did I know how progressive this stuff is. Dangerous. Sneaky. Probably as bad as heroin in terms of how it slowly takes over.
Old 05-22-2016, 06:11 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Jeni, congrats on day 112. Sorry I missed that.
Triple digits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't know what would be worse... being around a spouse who's drinking, or being on the "honor system" like I am because I'm currently living alone. For me, on one hand there's no temptation... no booze in the house,... no one who wants to go out for drinks... on the other hand, if I wanted to buy beer and drink it after work, no one would know except everyone here at SR. I think overall it's probably better, for my personality type, to not be around drinking and leave it up to myself to be strong and not get vodka or beer when I shop. My fiance rarely drinks, so I'm lucky. Based on what's happened to me in terms of addiction, I'd probably have to pull the plug on the wedding if she was any type of drinker other than a normie.
Old 05-22-2016, 09:24 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Thanks OT , Jimmy, and everyone else.

12 weeks today!! Friday was a real eye-opener to me, but with the support of you guys and really recognizing my triggers and addressing them helped a lot. I was not in danger of drinking, I was just ANGRY that I cannot again. Now I'm back to being GLAD I'm never drinking again.

OOT--I'm with you....I just really don't need to be around it right now. Eventually it won't bug me, but I don't even need irrational thoughts intruding in while I watch others drink.

Have a good Monday everyone. I had better sleep so I'm a bit more rested
Lee
Old 05-22-2016, 11:43 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Awh man, I am not feeling well this morning. High temperature, light headed, and sore throat that's making me lose my voice. Standing behind a till for a few hours is not sounding fun right now. Never mind, I'm sure I'll pull through.

Well done on 12 weeks Lee!
I was never really angry that I couldn't drink, but sometimes I really wish I could numb the stress with something. Fact is, if I were drinking I wouldn't have a job, college interviews, etc to stress about!
Old 05-23-2016, 03:29 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Hey Guys! Sorry been busy trying relax! My TMJ has gotten BAD. Horrible pain at night. During the day I'm ok as long as I barely chew, wear my night guard, and don't talk. Going to Drs today. I was so upset last night. The pain gets to you and I told my husband its so discouraging when I'm doing everything I can to be healthier... I will press on though!!! Welcome JJ! Always love new members! AJ - hate ticks. Had lyme infections twice before. We get them bad here too, cats bring them in even with tick medicine. Sadie - My husband ate the rest of my B&J last night and promised he'd pick me up some more. I told him strawberry cheesecake is the next one I want to try! OT keep on keepin on. It will get easier when you are trained and don't have to think so much! Lee, Badger, Dee, everyone else - good work! You all are amazing! Oh Jeni - You are racking up the days over there! Nice! Mercury has been retrograde Badger - its been a bad week for most people. It ended yesterday so this week should prove to be incredible!!!
Old 05-23-2016, 06:14 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

PHRD, I had bad TMJ also. Sorry you are going through that, it is quite painful. My jaw locked completely. The only thing that worked for me and the pain was acupuncture. It released my jaw and pent up emotions at the same time, which was a surprise. I took painkillers for a little bit b4 the acupuncture and liked them too much and was increasing the dose so stopped. Too bad I didn't realize the alcohol issue for a few more years!

I did end up with braces again which realigned my bite and no more TMJ. But that first experience with acupuncture was an eye opener!
Old 05-23-2016, 07:00 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JimmyJam View Post
Hello everyone. I joined in mid Feb. but there was so much going on I couldn't keep up. Mind if I give it another shot???
Welcome !
Old 05-23-2016, 07:59 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Good morning, happy, sober, hangover free Monday!

JimJams- Welcome and congrats on 100!!! Hello to you too!

Jeni- Glad to hear from you. Congrats on 112 and on hanging in there. You really are tough considering all that's been going on in your world!

OT- Fell better! So sorry you are sick again. Hope you've taken something for the fever so you aren't AS miserable.

Aj! Ticks SUCK! Glad to see you are still with us! Everything good?

Sadie! HI!

PHRD- Sorry you are still having TMJ problems. I do hope you feel better soon, maybe the acupuncture is worth a try?

Lee!!! I was reading all of your posts this weekend, need to go back and read to freshen my memory. But about the anger.... I realized this morning, that I was going through an angry phase as well. Why poor ol' me. I guess realizing it is half the battle. Good job staying strong!

I wanted to share a bit with you guys. I realized some things during a BAD AV struggle this weekend.

Saturday out of the blue it hit me. (Warmer it gets the more I think I guess). I decided I wasn't an alcoholic and can have a drink from time to time. This was all in my head, I didn't go buy anything. So I googled "alcoholic test". I took it.... was honest and guess what it told me.... That I had a serious alcohol problem. That I should seek TREATMENT immediately. Guess what.... I didn't drink. I have stopped thinking about it. I am so grateful to have kicked myself off the ladder!

I read a thread on AVRT here on Friday. Freshstart maybe did it? I don't remember. But something that was said has been very helpful to me this weekend. But, they said, when I thought pops into their mind, they immediately recognize it as AV. That stupid AV, I don't drink. And essentially immediately recognizing it, shuts it up. So I started recognizing that, telling myself the same thing, and the moments have been so much shorter than usual! I am so glad to have found that thread. AVRT has been added to my tool box and has been amazing.

Also, after the Saturday incident. I started reading a recovery book again. I have many so I will continue on this. I do not want to become complacent and have another near psycho experience.

Sorry so long but wanted to share with you all. We still have a long rewarding road ahead of us. I am HAPPY to be sober, not angry. Feel good.

Today is 106.... I think.
Old 05-23-2016, 08:20 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Hiiiii wonderdoodles! ! !
Miss you guys. Going to come back to class and be with my peeps. It's been a rough couple months. I have some catch up reading to do. I couldn't keep up with they may class and couldn't get myself back on the wagon. Day 1? Worth a shot! Time to stop isolating myself in any case.
So many huggles to you all!