Notices

Class of October 2015 Part 7

Old 05-21-2016, 05:48 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Juno, I'm so sorry your daughter had to go through that : ( I really empathize with her. With symptoms like that, it makes it really hard to leave the house. I am so glad to hear she is feeling better now!! Congrats on two weeks, and great job getting through that urge this afternoon!!! They sure can come on strong, but you rode it out. Great job treating yourself to cookies and movies! You earned it : )
Winslow, I hope you feel better soon! Definitely blame it on the full moon. I've noticed my animals start acting weird around the full moon, and there's no other explanation than the full moon. They get weird, but with them it's kind of funny!
Sydneyman, I say go for a walk at a different time, you may like it! I used to swear that if I didn't run in the morning, I wasn't going to do it, but now I'm a compete convert to evening running. I find that I enjoy it more and run better.
Midton, I hope the periscoping is going well! I was watching a live talk show the other night, and someone mentioned periscoping, and I was like hey, that's what midton does!
Old 05-21-2016, 11:22 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Had a good day. Got my cooking done and went out for lunch. Lots of tables with champagne/wine/cocktails/beers. I opted for a cappuccino and ice water.
I am a full moon person as well. I definitely don't sleep as well on these nights..
Ok, that was another weekend. Got work clothes ready for tomorrow. Now I am enjoying the last couple of Sunday afternoon hours reading. I am reading a book in Swedish to keep both my Scandinavian languages alive in my head. The book is not the most entertaining as it is about the jewish resistance in the jewish ghettos in Poland during the second world war. The concentration camp stories make me cringe. Such horrible past. If you wonder why I am reading this is because I got this book (stole/took/didn't return) it unknowing what it was about from a hotel library where we were staying ages ago. It is interesting as I had no idea about this movement and my Swedish is back again.
Ok good night from me. Hope you all enjoy/ed your weekend as well.
Old 05-22-2016, 12:42 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Griz, I don't know much about your condition but I'm very sorry to hear your news. I hope that your tests produce better news. As they say hope for the best and prepare for the worst. As Syd wrote it really is a reason not to drink. I'm pretty sure diet is important with such conditions.

My weekend has been a bell curve. I got up early and spent a beautiful day in the mountains. I did about 6 periscopes during the day and got lots of nice comments, lots of viewers, more followers and had lots of pleasant conversations.

I came home on a high. Last night I went to an Italian restaurant with my friend. This is the friend who, is very sociable, and constantly asks me out. Although he never drinks much and sometimes doesn't even drink I always do. Last night I couldn't though because my daughter had a sports day at school this morning. The reason I went out last night was a sad and happy one. My friend is going back to Europe for maybe 2 years. I'm sad that I won't see him much, we also work out together and do family things together, but also kind of happy that I won't go out much now and thus won't be tempted to drink.

The end of the meal was the beginning of the downward movement of my weekend. I scoped early on Sunday morning and some random troll abused me. It was only one comment and I blocked it before anyone could see but it shook my confidence, I kind of got sudden stage fright, and has effected me more than it should.

Then at my daughters sports day she got injured and is at present getting xrayed for a suspected broken wrist. She's a trooper though and hasn't even moaned once. I feel really bad for my daughter. We have started kickboxing, rather she has as my elbow hasn't allowed me yet, together. It was a fun way to spend Saturday mornings together. There won't be any boxing for a while now. It also helped to keep me sober on a Friday night.

Enjoy the rest of your weekends.
Old 05-22-2016, 02:48 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't know much about it either Grizz, but I hope it turns out to be something you can manage easily

D
Old 05-22-2016, 12:22 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Midton- all that at once! Don't let those net trolls get to you. I think they are miserable sad beings with nothing to do so they give other people a hard time. It so easy to be anonymous on the net.. Hope your daughter recovers quick. I know being an expat how hard it is to see a friend move back...Why don't you plan a visit there? I checked out the periscoping I need to get an app on my phone I will do on my commute today.
Winslow ,Grizz, Juno how you going.
I had a really bad drinking dream last night. It seemed so real but it was a dream.
Ok early start for me today. Hope your sober working week is good!!!
Old 05-22-2016, 01:52 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Hey guys - I had to work a good part of the day today. Catching up on hours and work. So it hasn't been much of a weekend for me. The weather is miserable, simply miserable. Cold and rainy most of the month! At first I was okay with it and being patient, but now it's starting to get to me. Thank goodness I had to work so much this weekend and it wasn't much of a weekend anyway. It's finally supposed to be nice and warm starting Tuesday this week.

Midton, sorry your weekend started going downhill. I hope your daughter is okay. That stinks about those trolls out there. I don't understand people - people who have nothing better to do than be mean and harrass others. But I hope it doesn't dampen your spirits too much!

Sydneyman, looks like you have already started your work week! I hope it's a good one for you. You sound very strong and determined.

Grizzly, hope you're feeling okay and having a good weekend.

Winslow, I hope your mood has lifted. Both of my boys were very off yesterday and I decided to blame it on the full moon.

I'm happy I caught up on my work and got so much done this weekend. My goal is to get all my hours in during the week this coming week and have a FULL LONG weekend next weekend where I can relax, do personal projects and even have some fun. Next weekend is a holiday weekend here - for Midton and Syndeyman. Long weekend - 3 days. I need it.

I have been having romantic wine thoughts and I'm kind of annoyed by this. I am determined to get to 30 days, which will be on June 7th. After that, I will have a new goal (on my phone app). However, this weekend thoughts of a glass of white wine have been popping in my head. Ugh. I really don't want to relapse, so that is winning out at the moment. Maybe things will get easier for me once the work week starts. This weekend has been a little tough for me.

Wrapping up a Sunday here.... day 15 so 1/2 way to my goal of 30.
Old 05-22-2016, 02:18 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Hey all,unfortunately Juno my mood is worse,oh well,moods are like clouds they move in and out,went to the park to feed ducks and some people were having a BBQ with beers and such and just for a bit I felt that missing out feeling but the reality is I wouldn't be laughing and having a good time like they appeared to be, I had to go to another spot cuz I couldn't hear them laughing anymore, ho him,hope all are well😊
Old 05-22-2016, 02:29 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Sorry for that Winslow. Yeah, when I think about drinking in my mind I romanticize it, but the reality is anything but rosey. Realistically, if I did have a glass of wine, I would then want another. And probably another. And then what would I do? Be alone? Reach out to others? Get crazy and say things I didn't really mean to others? Yeah, there's just no place to go for me after having that glass. I like to drink alone but then after I drink it's no fun being alone. Sorry I'm rambling but I'm just talking through these thoughts and talking myself out of the idea of drinking wine. I think I'm hungry and that's probably the problem right now. My son has a friend over so we can't start dinner until the friend is picked up. I just have to hang in there and get some dinner.
Old 05-22-2016, 02:29 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Syd, I'll send you a message with my periscope name and maybe you can pop in. It's really mundane stuff but for people interested in Japan I guess it's interesting.

Winslow, the start of summer and BBQ are a difficult time. Here they coincide with the opening of beer gardens and beer halls. I love summer and drinking has always been a big pert of my summer. Tough to get through.

Juno, I did another scope last night. Initially it was just a test to see if I could connect it to my new Twitter account. I think I'm trying to replace my social drinking with social media. Anyway a few of my regular listeners popped in and a few other people with interest in Japan and I was on for about an hour. No trolls in site. I'm guessing that when I scoped yesterday morning it would be late on a Saturday night in the uk andvprobably my troll was drinking online.

And my daughter is tender but fine. There is no break. That's obviously a relief.

How are you Griz?
Old 05-22-2016, 03:32 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your concern! I really appreciate it : ) I haven't felt well this weekend, and it's really annoying because I have so much to get done. I'll do a little then take a break. Whatever doesn't get done is fine, it will wait for me. I haven't felt very good in a long time, and sometimes I wonder if I'm not being tough enough. I do find comfort in knowing there is an underlying medical reason for the things going on with me, and it's not that mentally I'm just weak. Does that make sense? I wonder about myself sometimes, like hey grizz, you just gotta be stronger! I'm looking forward to finding some relief soon!
Midton, that sounds like a hard weekend. I am so glad to hear your daughter does not have a broken bone!! That is great. It sounds like you handled the troll very well. Don't let 'em get to you. Some people really don't seem to have anything better to do than be ugly to other people. They must be really miserable on the inside if that's what makes them happy.
Winslow, I know what you mean about the happy drinking people. I feel like I'm surrounded by them sometimes. It's hard on myself if I start to think about how much fun I think they're having. I just try to remind myself it doesn't work like that for me.
Juno, keep fighting the cravings!! Don't give in. They will pass!! You know it never ends well. You're doing great : )
Sydneyman, I hope you have a great start to your work week!
Old 05-22-2016, 04:32 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Grizzly, I think you should take it easier on yourself - especially now that you're dealing with a serious medical issue. Just do what you can, take care of yourself first and foremost!! I am hardest on myself and tend to push myself too far a lot and it sounds like you do the same. Now that you've moved in to your house, the pressure is off and you can take your time

I understand the happy drinking people phenomenon, too. That is one of the reasons I had to get off of Facebook. Sick of seeing people heading to wineries and vineyards, going to festivals, polo matches and vacations. This is not the life I'm leading and it wasn't intended to be the life I lead, so I have to accept that. I'm trying to insulate myself from this as best I can.

I made it through my craving - quickly threw together a pasta dinner to get some food in me. Had some lemon oreos for dessert. And no hangover tomorrow. You're right Grizzly, it never ends well for me if I drink.
Old 05-23-2016, 04:31 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Good morning guys! I'm on Day 16 and feeling very good about being able to ride out the cravings both on Saturday and Sunday. It's very good that this site is here for that!! I hadn't had any real cravings until this weekend so this was my first real test in a while. I learned some things about what to do when the cravings hit. My former way of dealing with them used to be to run to the store and get a bottle of wine without even talking about it or discussing. I'm glad I didn't do that this weekend. There is another way!!! I hope this week will be easier in terms of cravings. I have a pretty structured week so there is very little room for messing up and I just need to stick to the plan.

I'm more than 1/2 way to my initial goal of 30. Now it's time to cruise a bit.

The weather will start lifting after today! My younger son is going on a school trip overnight for 2 nights to NYC so I've got to get busy packing for him. I'm happy that the weather will cooperate for him.

Have a great Monday all!
Old 05-23-2016, 05:12 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Hey again - just took my dog for a walk and had some realizations about this process.

I used to think that "Day 1" would be some magical, spiritual event. Something like where the arc angels would descend upon me, send me a message and there - bam! I would know I was done drinking forever. In fact I read of a few stories of people having that experience and was waiting for it to happen to me. It didn't.

Instead, Day 1 is a just a regular day. Just like any other except in my case, I was extremely hungover. There was nothing magical or spiritual about it. Just sick of being in this mess that I was in. Every day is a important day in the process and every day is important to work on things and make sure you don't fall back in the trap. Day16 is just as magical as day 1. I'm not waiting for that divine intervention to come to me, I'm just making this happen on my own.

Thoughts for the day - I'm off to work soon
Old 05-23-2016, 05:48 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Great job, juno!!! That was a really big deal this weekend that you fought through the cravings instead of giving into them. I'm so proud of you : )
I know exactly what you mean, I thought things would magically resolve themselves once I got sober. I realized last week that is not the case. I've made a much needed dentist appointment, I have a doctors appointment today, and I'm getting a second round of a chemical peel because 8 months in, I'm still trying to get healthy. Last week I was a little disheartened that I'm not better yet. But things are certainly better than they were! It is a process, and you are so right - everyday counts! Good thought for the day, juno : )
Today is 8 months for me. Alright!!
Old 05-23-2016, 06:58 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Hey all,congratulations on 30 days Grizz,I hit 30 today but I think I have PAWS! Horrible anxiety that won't go away,depressed mood,I'm tired of it,hope all are well😊
Old 05-23-2016, 12:34 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

8 months is fantastic Grizz! Simply great..Now you can concentrate totally on your medical issues sort them out and not have to worry about drinking on top of it all.

Winslow- 30 day, 1 month, what an achievement. I am right behind you at 3 weeks tomorrow. Well done. Chin up. I know its easy to say.
I know this is not a competition but rather a serious addiction issue that we are all dealing with but it is a motivator at the same time.
Juno I know what you mean. In the beginning Day 1 just happened to me too. It really is up to each of us to make that Day 1 happen. Nobody can tell/nag you to become sober. Its our own choice.
It was 20 days ago for me since my day 1.
Juno you said you set yourself a 30 day goal. What do you plan to do after that?
I have set mine at 8 weeks or 2 months. I will see how it goes from there.
My trip to Tasmania is in 2 weeks time, leave on 10 June and back on Monday 13. So just away for the long Queens birthday weekend.
I have studied and read about the walks we can do there and planned accordingly. I do not intend to drink on this trip.
This can be a test for my upcoming trip to Bali in 5 weeks. As I have told you before I have visited Bali over the last 20 years many many times and I know the drill over there.
It usually is breakfast followed by lounging around the pool with a book, music drinks and massages. It is a total relax environment with no worries at all. This trip is my concern. I do not know if I can stay sober for 2 weeks over there as booze is all around you.
The trip can not be cancelled as its been paid for.
I will see how this Tasmania trip pans out first!! We all know what happened in the mountains!! This time around I will have 1 month sober under my belt though. I do hope it will be easier now on this trip.
Ok Tuesday morning and need to prepare for work . Have a good evening/day !!
Old 05-23-2016, 02:21 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Griz, eight months well done. I'm both happy and a little jealous.

Winslow, well done on one month. I hope your anxiety begins to lessen. Any anxiety I've had goes as soon as I stop drinking. It's a great motivating factor for me.

Juno, I feel impatient on day one ,week one. And even week one. I am greedy to get time under my belt and reap the benefits of a decent period sober.

Syd, I would always think of drinking as the cherry on the cake of a holiday. The end to each perfect day. It's a hard way of thinking to overcome but at least your consciously and mentally dealing with it now, ahead of time. It will be a case of one second at a time I think. And thanks for popping into my periscope. I usually do one each morning on my school run but fear my bandwidth is about to run out before the end of the month.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:36 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Hey guys - first of all, big congrats to Grizzly on 8 months!!! Amazing!!! And to Winslow for 30 days!! You guys both rock and are doing great!!!

Midton and Sydneyman you both seem really strong. I am the one that has been having cravings lately and it annoys me! Today I had some more minor cravings after work and I'm pretty sure it was related to hunger. I didn't eat a lot for lunch (was too busy at work) and was starving by the time I got on my way home. That can be a dangerous time for me. I was tempted to pop into one of the many restaurant bars and get a glass of Chardonnay, but I did not. I stayed the course. Dinner wasn't so great - a bowl of cereal and a half of a bagel - but I was desperate. Tomorrow is a new day.

Sydneyman, I don't know how long I can keep this up. When I'm feeling strong, I say "forever - I never want to drink ever ever again." And when I'm feeling slightly less strong I say to myself, "One year is a good goal. Then we can re-evaluate." And when I'm feeling even less strong I say, "Just get through today. That's all you have to do." My iPhone app is giving me a new "chip" when I get to 30 days, so that is what I'm shooting for at the moment. When I get there, it will give me a new goal/chip so maybe that will be my new goal. I just keep hoping that if I keep adding days, it will become easier and I won't have to think about this so much anymore.

I hope all are having a good Monday. We had thunderstorms here which made the walk with the dog a bit tricky. Now I have to go pack for my son's trip tomorrow... take care all.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:48 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Administrator

I did one day at a time for a while. I committed to 24 hours - then made sure I committed to the next 24 hours as well.

After a while what I was doing and forever seemed more or less interchangeable.

I don't have to daily commit anymore because having experienced both 'lives' this is the one I want

Do you think you're holding out because you hope you can drink again one dayJuno, or because you're scared of never drinking again?

D
Old 05-23-2016, 04:17 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Dee, I think I'm not really holding out hope that I can drink again. The part of my brain that is logical wants to be done with it forever and knows I can't add it back to my life again, nor do I want to.

But when I have these cravings for a glass of wine there's a part of me that can only commit for 24 hours. When I'm not having cravings I'm good with the forever side of this. I do sound like a contradiction at times and I don't even understand myself a lot of the time. I guess I'm hoping that if I tackle the day to day cravings as they arise, they will gradually disappear and I'll be so happy with my life that I won't want to change anything, at least on the alcohol front.

I hope that makes sense!