Notices

Class Of January 2016 Support Thread part 9

Old 06-08-2016, 07:41 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

Originally Posted by Odelle View Post
Thanks, Bandi!

I've been busy keeping up with doctor/dentist/physical therapy appointments and really look forward to returning to work on Monday. Again, I need the distraction from getting too caught up in all of the health issues that have surfaced this year.

Fortunately, my wrist is healing much faster than I anticipated, so I don't expect any problems at work (other than heavy lifting, which isn't a typical duty).

I've been playing around with my diet trying to get the chronic acid reflux under control, but finally gave up and got the Protonix my doctor prescribed. It's not something I want to be on long term, but it should help with the sore throat and hoarseness I've been dealing with.

It's been a crazy year so far, but I'm still sober and smoke-free and plan on staying that way.

I hope everyone is doing well and are staying alert as summer approaches. This is my trigger time of year, what with extreme heat and outdoor BBQs and such. I know it will be challenging to resist the AV whispers, but with my recent health scares, I think I'll be able to stay grounded.
Congratulations again Odelle. You've had a tough health year and I'm so glad you are living Sober and Smoke-Free!!!! Hopefully with your correct diagnosis and all the changes you've made you're moving in the right direction. And I agree that working will help you focus on other things. No heavy lifting though-

Remember to make some fun non-alcohol refreshments for your parties and BBQ's and focus on the fellowship. My trick this summer is to really be observant of everyone and to learn something new and interesting about the people in my life. Plus it's such a relief to go to bed and wake up Sober.

Take care---so glad we are all doing this together!!
Old 06-08-2016, 07:55 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

Originally Posted by Sunflowerlife View Post
Thank you and congrats on your 5 months! So proud of you

AV being sneaky tonight but I know it's because I am starving and dehydrated. Didn't get to eat a good lunch and its 7 pm and we're just heading to dinner! Going to pound some water and a diet soda. Wish I felt stronger than this but I know I cannot drink and will not drink. Just for today...
Thanks Sunflower!! -

Gosh I hope you drank lots of water and ate a nice healthy dinner. Please let us know how you're doing.

I found a brand of protein bar that has saved me many times. They're delicious, chewy and filling, low in sugar / fat and packs 15 grams of protein.I also keep water with me at all times during the day. No matter how hectic the work day gets, if I remember to pack small snacks (fruit & gluten free crackers) along with the protein bars, the day generally goes better with no high or low sugar spikes. We're not allowed to advertise so I'll PM the brand, which you can get on Amazon. I originally discovered it at my chiropractor but the bars are cheaper on A.

Take care, hope you're tucked safely in bed and have a better day tomorrow.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:11 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Hi Jannies!

Odelle, congratulations on five months!!!! That is a big milestone.

Bandi, sounds like you are quite busy. Hope you had a good day.

Sunny, I hope you are enjoying some me time. I am glad things are better on the home front. Hope your dinner was delicious!

Two more days for me and I start vacation for a few weeks. Looking forward to going back East to visit my mom, and to having some time to decompress.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:18 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

Hi Delilah! Yay for you---2 more days and then a nice long vacation. -

What a blessing to spend time with your mother--- Is she feeling better?
Old 06-09-2016, 02:42 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  

I survived dinner and am so grateful that I didn't drink. These are all new situations that are coming up for me (going out to dinner with new people) so of course my AV tried to convince me that I can have just one like everybody else. I can't. I just can't. Part of me feel like the "lame one" and I don't know how it's going to feel when I attend large sales meetings in the future but we will cross that bridge when we get there.

Anyway, I am trying to get out of bed so I can go workout in the hotel fitness room. It's amazing that I don't even need an alarm anymore to wake up at 5:30- even though I went to bed an our later than usual last night!!

Feeling grateful for my strength and my perseverance. And of course for SR. I love you guys so much...
Old 06-09-2016, 05:21 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Morning, all...

SFL! Gold star for dinner AF. As for sales meetings...oh the shame flashbacks. I've done 'em drunk and done 'em sober and sober is much better, although it does mean you have a front row seat at the boozapalooza and it can be sad to watch.

But what is true is that people respect and often envy the sober person at these things, no matter what they say. I know you can handle it.

Stuff happening here...equal parts excitement and naked terror...but Mr. Why No Pee in House, Why? Is whining at the door...

Happy day everyone!
Old 06-09-2016, 05:32 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

Originally Posted by Ariesagain View Post
Morning, all...

SFL! Gold star for dinner AF. As for sales meetings...oh the shame flashbacks. I've done 'em drunk and done 'em sober and sober is much better, although it does mean you have a front row seat at the boozapalooza and it can be sad to watch.

But what is true is that people respect and often envy the sober person at these things, no matter what they say. I know you can handle it.

!
^^^^^Well said Aries and so so true! Sunflower---You will be respected so hold on to that when the time comes. So glad you made it through the dinner. Have a great day everyone! -
Old 06-09-2016, 07:30 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bandicoot2 View Post
Hi Delilah! Yay for you---2 more days and then a nice long vacation. -

What a blessing to spend time with your mother--- Is she feeling better?
Her tests all came back negative. She still has one area that needs a biopsy but she is being stubborn. She was diagnosed with lupus in 1995, so deals with issues from the lupus, but other than that she is doing well.

It is difficult watching your parents age. My dad passed away when he was 68, my mom will be 73 this year, but has dealt with health issues over the years so physically struggles a little. Mentally she is sharp and always positive. I love her, and can't wait to see her next week!!
Old 06-09-2016, 07:34 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Good morning Jannies!

Up and off to work, it is beautiful here today, definitely going to fit in a walk later.

Sunny, nicely done yesterday. I think it will start to get easier for all of us the longer we have sober. I have had a few events over the past month where everyone was drinking, and I felt good with my water or Diet Coke. I felt especially good the next morning.

Thump, how is your long weekend going?

Hope everyone has a terrific Thursday!

❤️Delilah
Old 06-09-2016, 01:50 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

It's going well. I've had two group meetings at the VA, which I'm really coming to enjoy and appreciate, more so than AA for me. Outside of that, I've relaxed, opened up a new friendship, and turned down a date ... I was happy she asked me out, but bummed that she wanted to go to a local watering hole for drinks, so I skipped. Hmph.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:21 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  

I'm really triggering hard right now. It'll be her birthday in two days. I've done the decent thing and sent her a card, but I'm thinking it would have maybe been better to do nothing, because now I'm wondering about her reply.

I feel like I've made a big mistake. That's what my heart tells me. But all I have to do is hold on for forty minutes -- that's the cutoff here in Texas, midnight.

All aboard for the White-Knuckle Express!
Old 06-09-2016, 09:48 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Hang in there, Thumpa! I'm sorry your heart is playing games with your head, love is such a strange emotion. Unfortunately, it does take time to recover from heartache, longer than any broken bone. You will recover though, so don't let the healing process stress you too much. I guess it's like addiction recovery, you have to go through it to get to the other side. Hugs to you!
Old 06-09-2016, 09:56 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

It is like addiction recovery; "co-dependant" is a term for a reason.

I guess I shouldn't have poked the bear?
Old 06-09-2016, 10:05 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Well, the bear's awake now, but if you leave it alone, it will go back to sleep.

Seriously, from personal experience and that of being a "mom," love related heart breaks are the absolute worst pain. Now's a good time to grab a cup of tea and sit out on the porch (weather permitting) and stare up at the stars while doing some deep breathing.
Old 06-10-2016, 05:04 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

Morning Jannies,

(((Thump))) Thinking of you and glad to hear you find your VA visits helpful.
Take care friend.

Hi Delilah, good news about your mother's overall health. She must be as excited for your visit as you are-

Thank God it's Friday and Thank God I'm Free from the poison. Love these Sober mornings!

See you later Jannies....Carry On.
Old 06-10-2016, 05:48 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

I'm sorry, Thump. Sending you a hug. Someday it won't be so hard.

Struggling with major anxiety here. We are under contract on a little lot where we want to move, but every piece of information I get makes the buildable area on it smaller. And smaller. Doggies and I need room! They need it for fun and I need it because my extreme introversion has me by the short hairs.

So I'm making a sudden trip out there in two days to see it. If it absolutely won't work, there's a contractual out, but we'd be disappointing a lot of people, which makes me cringe. And we'd be back to square one.

AND the tax assessor is due here any day and if it doesn't get real, we have to go before a town committee to plead our case, and if that doesn't work, we'll have to sue. Both DH and I HATE confrontation. But would-be buyers are flat out saying they won't touch it because of the taxes. Yeehaw.

Trying not to awfulize and stay in the moment, but I spin out in anxiety more than I'd like to admit.

Blablabla, first world problems...

Have a good day, everyone.
Old 06-10-2016, 07:38 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

I'm glad you posted your frustrations, Aries. Sometimes, just getting it out helps relieve some of the pressure. I really hope the tax assessor will be able to adjust your home's taxes to improve marketability. As for the lot, you and DH need to do what's in your best interest, even if it disappoints others. Either that, or check out the tv program tiny houses, that may be your next option.
Old 06-10-2016, 11:36 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ariesagain View Post
I'm sorry, Thump. Sending you a hug. Someday it won't be so hard. Struggling with major anxiety here. We are under contract on a little lot where we want to move, but every piece of information I get makes the buildable area on it smaller. And smaller. Doggies and I need room! They need it for fun and I need it because my extreme introversion has me by the short hairs. So I'm making a sudden trip out there in two days to see it. If it absolutely won't work, there's a contractual out, but we'd be disappointing a lot of people, which makes me cringe. And we'd be back to square one. AND the tax assessor is due here any day and if it doesn't get real, we have to go before a town committee to plead our case, and if that doesn't work, we'll have to sue. Both DH and I HATE confrontation. But would-be buyers are flat out saying they won't touch it because of the taxes. Yeehaw. Trying not to awfulize and stay in the moment, but I spin out in anxiety more than I'd like to admit. Blablabla, first world problems... Have a good day, everyone.
I'm sorry for the stress and mess. I know it's hard to stop for a minute when all of this is happening but if you can, have faith and trust- knowing that this WILL work out even if it's in a way you didn't expect. Hand our frustrations over to the Universe or God or whatever you like to call it. Everything will be ok and what's meant to be will be!! Sending positive thoughts your way...
Old 06-10-2016, 11:38 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thumpalumpacus View Post
I'm really triggering hard right now. It'll be her birthday in two days. I've done the decent thing and sent her a card, but I'm thinking it would have maybe been better to do nothing, because now I'm wondering about her reply. I feel like I've made a big mistake. That's what my heart tells me. But all I have to do is hold on for forty minutes -- that's the cutoff here in Texas, midnight. All aboard for the White-Knuckle Express!
Hang in there Thump. You did what you thought was right at the moment and that's okay. Are you afraid that she will reach out when you had tried to cut ties with her? Do you have a plan in case she does contact you?
It's hard to say goodbye to the people we love. You are really doing your best.

Hope you feel better today...
Old 06-10-2016, 08:01 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thumpalumpacus View Post
I'm really triggering hard right now. It'll be her birthday in two days. I've done the decent thing and sent her a card, but I'm thinking it would have maybe been better to do nothing, because now I'm wondering about her reply.

I feel like I've made a big mistake. That's what my heart tells me. But all I have to do is hold on for forty minutes -- that's the cutoff here in Texas, midnight.

All aboard for the White-Knuckle Express!
You've got this Thump. It was nice that you sent a card, try to put it out of your head. Did you find a new amplifier?