Notices

Class of April 2016 Support Thread Part 5

Old 05-13-2016, 12:15 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Morning Everyone!

Day 19

In this stretch of sobriety not once have I had my AV screaming at me for a drink. Perhaps I just don't want to listen anymore.

Last night I was mildly envious of my next door neighbour sitting at his garden table with a pint early evening in the sun.

He'll probably have a couple of beers max.

I used to be able to do that. But after a couple I 'd keep going and there was no stopping until I passed out.

So who am I kidding? I was NEVER able to do that.

Have a great day everyone!
Old 05-13-2016, 03:02 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Kopfan, good job on getting your AV in check. Mine has been pretty quiet this week but does come out of nowhere still some days.

Day 35 here. 5 weeks, yay! Best week so far...really starting to feel much better than the first 3 weeks. Better energy, less cravings, less mental fog. However, still having crankiness at times (noticing it when hungry especially since I'm trying to lose weight), and anxiety and AV still hit, but more manageable and less frequent. My biggest concern is that schedule is so busy that hard to find time to go to meetings. Like early work calls,work meetings over lunch, kid soccer practice and school programs at night kind of busy. Hard to get into a schedule but I know myself and know I need to find a sponsor.

Last night my son and I had to drop,one of twins off at a school activity away from our normal area. I took him to eat while we were waiting at this really cool German restaurant around the corner that I haven't been to in years. Beer everywhere and it wasn't a trigger, although I did think about it being weird for me not having a beer at a German restaurant. But I ate a couple of bites of his strudel (goodbye diet) and that stopped the thought .

Hope everyone has a good day and a strong weekend. I have to go to 7 soccer games this weekend (2 tournaments). Weather will be nice so should enjoy it, although wish sleeping in was in my future!
Old 05-13-2016, 04:38 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Good morning! Day ten here. Winslow, I hope you are feeling better. Big hugs to you!
Max, I hope you stick with us. I'm super sensitive and have thought of leaving before because of something someone said, or more often for me it was something no one said. I think everyone should know just the right thing to say and then say it, but we're just a bunch of addicts trying to help each other stay sober, so we aren't going to get it right every time, and I try to keep that in mind. Big hugs and sorry you're feeling were hurt.
I am still not feeling well, this cold is hanging on. I'm overwhelmed with work and thinking of working through the weekend, but I know I need to take some time to focus on rest, recovery and getting my house in order. I'm trying to remember that I can't do this alone, I need to reach out to my HP and to other recovering people to help me manage and know what to do. Can't get in touch with my sponsor so today I am going to call others in the program and see how that goes.
Happy Friday everyone. Thank God for sobriety so this will not be another lost weekend!
Old 05-13-2016, 04:55 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Karen, I'm sorry you are still feeling bad. I hope you feel better soon.
Old 05-13-2016, 05:21 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Originally Posted by kopfan View Post
Morning Everyone!

Day 18

I'm a different person sober. Laughing in the mornings, preparing dinner, getting on with and excelling at my work.

Facing up to life sober is difficult after getting blotto drunk every couple of days for years on end.

But the alternative - another Day One, another hangover, more self hatred, digging yourself deeper into a pit of despair, doesn't really seem like an alternative anymore. More like opting to visit your own personal hell where the demons are waiting to tear you to pieces.

Another day sober will suit me just fine.

Have a great day everyone!
Beautifully said kopfan!
Old 05-13-2016, 05:27 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Day 28. A slow start today, but that's ok. It's nice to take my time (and I can) when it's not due to being stupid hungover.
A good weekend ahead! It's Friday!
Old 05-13-2016, 05:37 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Congrats on all of the sober days adding up here in April 16! I bet few of you ever thought that you could put two, three, or four weeks sober together. When I quit, it was hour by hour, day by day until I got a month or so under my belt.

Month two will have its challenges, but nothing as intense as the first month. After the first month, most of my physical symptoms were done with and I was starting to learn new habits. It amazed me how much of my drinking was purely habitual. Come home from work and grab a drink. Making dinner, grab a drink. Sit in front of the tv, grab a drink.

For me, it was a "Think before I drink" thought process that began to run through my mind. After a while,it became more automatic.

Have a great sober weekend all!
Old 05-13-2016, 06:59 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hey all,I'm glad I was able to get through yesterday's little AV tantrum,it usually hits between 1-4 in the afternoon and if I can make it past then,I'm totally fine, I'm too far along in this al game to keep relapsing, I'm here as basically a newbie right now but my journey with quitting has been going on for years,I've learned stuff that I just need to stick with,its not even about wanting to drink when I get that weird feeling its just wanting to not feel that way if that makes any sense at all,Max,dunno what happened either but hope you stick around,Kopfan,Suzie,Karen,Tati,these names I can remember off the topof my head,Justin,Tati,goodnesstthere's certainly more to the group,I just woke up so forgive me, hello to all,have a fab Friday😊
Old 05-13-2016, 07:01 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Kitty cat and Easy2Slip(but you won't) are two I forgot to say hi to😊
Old 05-13-2016, 07:04 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tati View Post
I'm not sure what happened, but what I get from your post is that someone judged you or offended you? Whatever the case may be you're not the one who should have to leave! This is support forum for ***** sake! You have every right to post your feelings and thoughts WITHOUT judgment! I really hope you decide to come back.
I agree!! stay Max.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:35 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hello All, if you fall, pick yourself back up and continue the walk. Congratz to all who are fighting this fight.
Day 36. I am feeling so much better, finally sleeping all night. The last few weeks have been crazy. I felt like a Christmas tree, when the lights start coming on. Parts of my body started to feel better. The pain in my back is gone. Then the pain on my left side under my rib cage is gone. I can also walk a lot better now. I am going to malls and walking around without have to sit down. Not sweating any more like before. Losing weight like crazy. Down 30 pounds already. I stared to lift weights also. When something needs changing or fixing at the house I do it before my wife ask me. Wow, energy is fun to have. Not tired anymore. I still have mood swings and some fogginess on my brain. But it’s a lot clear then before.
I know I have some ways to go. But I do not want to go back into that black hole.
Old 05-13-2016, 03:47 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Wow Jose,30 pounds,you lucky!! I'm jealous,congrats on 36 days😊 I have been so up and down mood wise today,can't wait until my brain settles,I've been elated today,then sad,then had horrible road rage at a school zone while taking my son to his friends house,I didn't drive crazily but said a lot of cuss words,my son told me to calm down, grrrr
Old 05-13-2016, 04:18 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KarenOskie View Post
Good morning! Day ten here. Winslow, I hope you are feeling better. Big hugs to you!
Max, I hope you stick with us. I'm super sensitive and have thought of leaving before because of something someone said, or more often for me it was something no one said. I think everyone should know just the right thing to say and then say it, but we're just a bunch of addicts trying to help each other stay sober, so we aren't going to get it right every time, and I try to keep that in mind. Big hugs and sorry you're feeling were hurt.
I am still not feeling well, this cold is hanging on. I'm overwhelmed with work and thinking of working through the weekend, but I know I need to take some time to focus on rest, recovery and getting my house in order. I'm trying to remember that I can't do this alone, I need to reach out to my HP and to other recovering people to help me manage and know what to do. Can't get in touch with my sponsor so today I am going to call others in the program and see how that goes.
Happy Friday everyone. Thank God for sobriety so this will not be another lost weekend!
I'm the same way. I hope you feel better soon! Drink lots of ginger tea and chicken soup!!
Old 05-13-2016, 04:20 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by josec77 View Post
Hello All, if you fall, pick yourself back up and continue the walk. Congratz to all who are fighting this fight.
Day 36. I am feeling so much better, finally sleeping all night. The last few weeks have been crazy. I felt like a Christmas tree, when the lights start coming on. Parts of my body started to feel better. The pain in my back is gone. Then the pain on my left side under my rib cage is gone. I can also walk a lot better now. I am going to malls and walking around without have to sit down. Not sweating any more like before. Losing weight like crazy. Down 30 pounds already. I stared to lift weights also. When something needs changing or fixing at the house I do it before my wife ask me. Wow, energy is fun to have. Not tired anymore. I still have mood swings and some fogginess on my brain. But it’s a lot clear then before.
I know I have some ways to go. But I do not want to go back into that black hole.
Congratulations on the weight loss! I wish I had this type of progress
Old 05-13-2016, 04:34 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I thought when you get sober you're supposed to feel better? I don't feel motivated or energized. I feel like walking in front of train.

I'm trying SO hard to stick to a healthy diet, but I just wanna stuff my face with junk food all day. I started taking xanax again. I stopped completely for like a week, and now I already feel myself getting hooked. I've been taking like 3 or 4 a day, and the crazy thing is they don't have much of an affect on me. I'm just resorting to ANYTHING to numb myself that isn't alcohol. This is why I probably have no real friends. I just have such an intense personality. Who wants to be around that? My mom even ignores me.
Old 05-13-2016, 05:37 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Administrator

You do feel better - but consider how long you drank for...it takes a little while to recuperate from all those years Tati

Stay in the day dammit! LOL

D
Old 05-13-2016, 11:27 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I hear you Dee. I haven't been drinking THAT long though, and I've been down this road a MILLION of times. I'm giving up. I don't wanna be sober anymore. I know alcohol won't fix my problems, but i'm over life in general. My mom is always telling me "please don't commit suicide". and i'm like i'm not suicidal! the rest of my response was very morbid so I won't go into it, but I don't care what happens to me anymore. My mom doesn't listen to me when I tell her to take care of her health. she just ignores me. I'm not watching my mom go down the same road my grandparents did. I'm not doing it. My brother has no soul and doesn't care about anybody but himself. None of my "friends" are genuine. life is one huge setup. It's a joke. No wonder people turn to religion. If I were to die tomorrow nobody would care. I told my mom the only reason you don't want me to die is because I take care of you. Jason will get over it in a few weeks and probably breath a sigh of relief. You can't get any insignificant then me.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:42 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tati View Post
I'm giving up. I don't wanna be sober anymore. I know alcohol won't fix my problems,
Morning Everyone!

Day 20

Every day spent sober is a step further away from the madness.

Have a great day everyone.
Old 05-14-2016, 02:37 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Tati - ok some of us are more desperate than others. You've got to get ahold of yourself. Not your mother or your brother. Take care of you. You sound like you need an anti-depressant or something. Go to your supplement store and get some Sam-E or something for depression. Get a good multi-vitamin. I'm no doctor. There's some good websites out there. Howtostopalcoholism.com. RecoverEaze.org.
I'm trying to add natural stuff these days. Not like the Zoloft and such that are just big money makers for drug companies.
Give it a shot. Try to get your brain mood elevated for one. Google Dr Daniel Amen. Heck, it's worth a try. Good luck. Always ask your doctor before you add anything new to your meds. Life is better than this. Life is good. God is good. Don't give up.
Old 05-14-2016, 04:38 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Tati, I think you need to do something different, but it's not drinking. Go back and read your first post on SR. Why did you come here? Drinking again will take you right back there. There is nothing about your situation that will change of get better if you drink. Instead it will get a lot worse.
There is a person in my life who I would change if I could. Lord knows I've tried but it's not happening, and it's not my choice. The only one I can control is myself. I have blamed this person for a lot of the things wrong in my life, including my drinking, but he didn't force the alcohol down my throat. I did that.

Please really explore your options. I know you are a caretaker but is there anyway you can carve out some time on your own? To do something for you? To get out the house and create a piece of your own life? To go to a meeting and have that or some other social outlet? It sounds to me like you are bored and depressed and that you used to drink for both of those reasons.

Keep us updated. We care about you.