Notices

Class of April 2016 Support Thread Part 4

Old 05-04-2016, 06:57 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  

That's kind of funny Tati, glad you found your way back. I was wondering about you!
I suppose I ought to join the May class since my new date is in May now, but I don't want to start all over getting to know people. I'll probably go check them out though.
I hurt all over and feel sick. I wish so much I had done anything other than drink!
Yes, Kitty, I am adding more to my stay sober plan. I felt like I was doing a lot, but now I have a sponsor and am going to start using that dang phone! I hate calling people but I'm just going to do it. And, I'm going to start working the steps. And, I'm going to do some reading and studying about why alcoholics can't drink occasionally. I need to get that stamped into my mind for good!
Old 05-04-2016, 07:47 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Karen, so glad you came right back. The sponsor sounds like a great move. Thinking of you. It will get better--sounds like you regretted it immediately. This will be a blip but the blip that ramps up your toolset and resolve. Hugs.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:24 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Welcome Purplegalm!
Old 05-04-2016, 11:36 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Legs Eleven!

Originally Posted by maximus97 View Post
So, feeling like a schmuck. Im beginning to wonder if I will ever beat this addiction. Ive been trying to quit for years. Get some sober time, then go right back to it. I wish I was like some of the others here, who get it first time around. .
My experience is those that jump right in and appear to stop drinking right from the off have already been trying for years to beat their addiction. Coming here is in desperation and bewilderment at why such a seemingly simple thing turns out to be so difficult.

There are a number of thought processes that I've been through to even get this far starting with "Does that mean I can never drink again?" through the whole moderation and "white knuckling" thing where you crave a drink everyday.

Its difficult to stop because society in general is accepting of booze and even pushes it on you through advertising so you feel "left out". Not drinking is the strange thing to do in our society when it should be the abnormal thing to want to poison yourself.

I don't want a drink anymore because the pain of the last bender is still fresh in my mind. I think when you get to the stage where the humiliation, shame and self loathing gets to be so overwhelming you realise you have to stop destroying yourself.

If spending a day in bed and the next five hating myself (for the fifth or sixth time this year) is my final price to pay for my addiction then I'll be happy with that because it will only get a lot worse if I carry on drinking.

I have a quote I printed out and sits on the wall right in front of my eyes at my desk:

"No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path."

Buddah.

The only way to be a "shmuck" is to stop trying. With all the peer pressure and brainwashing associated with alcohol it's a wonder anyone stops drinking at all. It's a natural thing to do isn't it?
Old 05-05-2016, 02:01 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  
Administrator

I glad to see people kicking recovery goals here

I'm also glad to see people re-committing to recovery - you guys are every bit as important as anyone else.

please don't be discouraged - you've proved you can be sober - you simply have to work out how to stay that way now.

I recommend going back to the basics with a recovery plan - what are the things that bring you undone and how can you change your reactions to those things and stay sober?

you'll find help and hope here - the support in this thread is awesome.

D
Old 05-05-2016, 02:10 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kopfan View Post
Legs Eleven! My experience is those that jump right in and appear to stop drinking right from the off have already been trying for years to beat their addiction. Coming here is in desperation and bewilderment at why such a seemingly simple thing turns out to be so difficult. There are a number of thought processes that I've been through to even get this far starting with "Does that mean I can never drink again?" through the whole moderation and "white knuckling" thing where you crave a drink everyday. Its difficult to stop because society in general is accepting of booze and even pushes it on you through advertising so you feel "left out". Not drinking is the strange thing to do in our society when it should be the abnormal thing to want to poison yourself. I don't want a drink anymore because the pain of the last bender is still fresh in my mind. I think when you get to the stage where the humiliation, shame and self loathing gets to be so overwhelming you realise you have to stop destroying yourself. If spending a day in bed and the next five hating myself (for the fifth or sixth time this year) is my final price to pay for my addiction then I'll be happy with that because it will only get a lot worse if I carry on drinking. I have a quote I printed out and sits on the wall right in front of my eyes at my desk: "No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path." Buddah. The only way to be a "shmuck" is to stop trying. With all the peer pressure and brainwashing associated with alcohol it's a wonder anyone stops drinking at all. It's a natural thing to do isn't it?
Excellent post, Kopfan. Thank you.
Old 05-05-2016, 02:14 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Day 27. Just a quick check in for me. 8 hour drive today alone to go visit my parents, siblings, and some of their family for the long Mother's Day weekend. After a rough moment mid day yesterday, feeling strong and like I've got this today. I'm not particularly worried about drinking on this trip but I'm worried about feeling depressed afterwards related to all the sadness back home.
I've read enough yesterday to know my first order of business when I get back next week is getting a sponsor and setting a dr appt to talk about my anxiety levels.
Wishing you all a strong and sober day. Will try to check in later tonight.
Old 05-05-2016, 02:25 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kopfan View Post
Legs Eleven!

My experience is those that jump right in and appear to stop drinking right from the off have already been trying for years to beat their addiction. Coming here is in desperation and bewilderment at why such a seemingly simple thing turns out to be so difficult.

There are a number of thought processes that I've been through to even get this far starting with "Does that mean I can never drink again?" through the whole moderation and "white knuckling" thing where you crave a drink everyday.

Its difficult to stop because society in general is accepting of booze and even pushes it on you through advertising so you feel "left out". Not drinking is the strange thing to do in our society when it should be the abnormal thing to want to poison yourself.

I don't want a drink anymore because the pain of the last bender is still fresh in my mind. I think when you get to the stage where the humiliation, shame and self loathing gets to be so overwhelming you realise you have to stop destroying yourself.

If spending a day in bed and the next five hating myself (for the fifth or sixth time this year) is my final price to pay for my addiction then I'll be happy with that because it will only get a lot worse if I carry on drinking.

I have a quote I printed out and sits on the wall right in front of my eyes at my desk:

"No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path."

Buddah.

The only way to be a "shmuck" is to stop trying. With all the peer pressure and brainwashing associated with alcohol it's a wonder anyone stops drinking at all. It's a natural thing to do isn't it?
Great post and wise words Kopfan
thank you
Old 05-05-2016, 03:19 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Hello freinds,

Kopfan, excellent post, TY so much.

Kitty, yes, I need to revamp my plan. I have to learn how to get a hold on my anger issues.

Karen, sorry you drank as well. Im glad you are right back with us. Im staying here in April class too.

Dee, love your input too. I can quit drinking, but need to stay stopped. Thats the key, of course. I think once I find a positive way to deal with my anger, its going to be alot easier. Even tho I had some cravings during my sober time, they were manageable. When my anger came, it was like somebody flipped a switch to insane. And the stupid idea of drinking took over completely. Crazy stuff.

Tati, glad you are back! Ive been reading May, and saw you there. Thought maybe you had a setback, so glad thats NOT the case.

Have a sober day friends. and
Old 05-05-2016, 03:30 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Day 14!

Gonna get my 3 mile walk in before the rain comes. The walk has been very beneficial to my plan. Also I have dropped a few pounds which is very encouraging.

Good day to all !
Old 05-05-2016, 03:39 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  
Administrator

I believe you'll get there Max

congrats easy

D
Old 05-05-2016, 03:56 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Easy2slip View Post
Day 14!

Gonna get my 3 mile walk in before the rain comes. The walk has been very beneficial to my plan. Also I have dropped a few pounds which is very encouraging.

Good day to all !
Congrats on 2 weeks and losing a few! Well done.
Old 05-05-2016, 03:57 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I believe you'll get there Max

congrats easy

D
TY Dee.
Old 05-05-2016, 04:04 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Hi class
Long way from home tonight so on mobile and day 37.
There's been a bit to deal with and a lot of social moments soaked in alcohol, but have negotiated all ok.
Actually...can admit it here, but have enjoyed fakin it as a 'non drinker'....most ppl respect it, women approve...a few are 'wassamadda with ya?. They're the ones who go on to to get totally trashed later in the evening.
Anyway...treading carefully, but life a lot easier at the moment without.
Okay, all the best...
Later.
Old 05-05-2016, 04:09 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suzie89 View Post
Day 27. Just a quick check in for me. 8 hour drive today alone to go visit my parents, siblings, and some of their family for the long Mother's Day weekend. After a rough moment mid day yesterday, feeling strong and like I've got this today. I'm not particularly worried about drinking on this trip but I'm worried about feeling depressed afterwards related to all the sadness back home.
I've read enough yesterday to know my first order of business when I get back next week is getting a sponsor and setting a dr appt to talk about my anxiety levels.
Wishing you all a strong and sober day. Will try to check in later tonight.
Suzie, have a safe journey. I hope you have a good visit with your family tho.

Whatever happens, remember drinking never solves anything. Good idea on a sponser, and doc visit. You are doing excellent, and congrats on 27! Almost a month. Cant wait to get there.
Old 05-05-2016, 04:11 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you're not drinking you're not faking it canguy
keep it going!

D
Old 05-05-2016, 04:11 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Congrats canguy on 37!
Woo hoo , u rock!
Old 05-05-2016, 04:20 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Wow Kopfan,that was one of the best posts I've read in a long time😊and I agree that I don't think everyone gets sober the very first try,I think the ones who do were like you said,kinda trying before they got here,anyways,have a great day all😊
Old 05-05-2016, 04:43 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. I should've joined this thread a week and a half ago. Day 11 for me. I honestly don't think I've gone this long without a drink since I nursed my daughter 25 years ago.

This week has so far been so much better than last week. Last week I was exhausted - all the time. This week, though, I've been sleeping well and feeling much more alive during the day. And oh my, my mornings have been so much better. I haven't had a headache with my morning coffee and that makes me happy and gives me such encouragement.
Old 05-05-2016, 04:44 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome nanab

D