Notices

Class of April 2016 Support Thread Part 2

Old 04-16-2016, 01:29 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Hey i'd like to join you guys if that's OK. I technically gave up in March so 18 days sober but it's near enough right? 😀
Old 04-16-2016, 01:53 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Morning class

So many new posts......but its great that everybody is succeeding over some really difficult moments. You are all inspiring, this is a strong group.

Welcome new ppl....
Sunday morning here. Go make the coffee. Gotten through a quarter kilo of expresso blend in a week......

Okay...later
Old 04-16-2016, 02:01 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Welcome everydaysabonus! Yes that's close enough!! congratulations on 18 days!
Old 04-16-2016, 02:04 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

I hope you get to feeling better Maximus! I hope your not coming down with anything.

Pam- I am glad you are doing well! A sober summer does sound wonderful!!
Old 04-16-2016, 04:34 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Just got back from a birthday party where I didn't expect there to be drinking. It was a six year olds birthday but a lot of friends and family were there. Lots of drinking. It was my first group alcohol experience since becoming sober eight days ago. I am so happy to be home and away from all that alcohol
Old 04-16-2016, 04:37 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Great job Jan. I'm on day 8 too and so glad to not be in that position so soon. You must be feeling really good!
Old 04-16-2016, 04:41 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome everydaysabonus - welcome to Suzie and Laura and any new people I missed in my absence too

I'm sorry for your loss Evienne - rabbits and guinea seem to die suddenly.

good for you for getting through that Jan

Glad you're feeling better Pams - hope you are too Max!

Hi Casey, CountryGal, Canguy, Midwest, CeeFarro, Winslow, Kara and anyone else who recently posted I missed.

thanks for the well wishes everyone - I'm doing ok

D
Old 04-16-2016, 07:34 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Well DuhDave is signing on for April. Wish me luck !

DD
Old 04-16-2016, 07:37 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Dave

D
Old 04-16-2016, 08:06 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Hi everyone: About 2 weeks for me and my goodness I am feeling tired. I feel like I am ready for a deep sleep while walking around. Hello to all the new people who have joined the group. I have not been tempted to drink alcohol as not waking up with regrets, puffy faced and feeling disgusting is a pretty good motivator, and I know one drink is never enough for me. I am forming a bit of a love affair with tea. I also have little hand weights in the lounge room so do a couple of light sets of them when I get restless. much support to all those tackling this destructive addiction. You can do it, believe you are important enough and make a new beginning.
Old 04-16-2016, 08:34 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Welcome Ring. Yes, the fatigue is affecting me greatly and I'am only Day 5.

I think I need to pay more attention to my diet and nutrition. Especially breakfast . I really need to stop "Grazing" all day and eat some good nutritious meals.

Nice to meet you Ring.

DD
Old 04-17-2016, 12:50 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Welcome new class members! This group is invaluable I have found. Got me through yesterday without losing my marbles and I'm forever grateful!

Suzy, I think I found the thread you mentioned! There's several similar but this one started in 2009 and was still active last month. http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...dont-miss.html Great read for the hard days. Thanks for bringing it to my attention I find it wonderful that you picked yourself over your family for the evening. You need to get through this first. The girls are old enough to understand and with what you've been through, must be wise beyond their years. Which reminds me, I still have a swab set lying around for a stemcell bank. Not putting that off anymore. Hope you had fun at the soccer game!

Hi Pams, that seems wonderful, I hope you enjoy every minute of this summer. Sober and present. There's lots of little projects that I have put off as well, but for once, I look forward to them. Wouldn't it be amazing to see the to do list get shorter for once? And finishing the projects to your satisfaction and not just phoning it in?

Canguy, a quarter of a kilo, that's quite impressive! Caffeine and nicotine will be the next vices I kick but for now we get to indulge, right? It's kind of amazing what we're doing here so treat yourself with a nice espresso or latte all you like.

Jan, so brave of you to sit through the birthday without drinking! I'm so proud of you!

It's true Dee, rabbits and guineas just seem to drop dead. As they're prey animals they won't show weakness, but it could also be a heart attack from stress or VHD, a highly contagious disease. To be safe, I can't get my bunny boy a new friend for a month, but I'm already thinking of getting him two baby girls, so that's something to look forward to.

I'm so happy to read about you new love, ring, what's your favorite flavour? I enjoy green tea with honey. Appearantly gets rid of a lot of toxins but also just very tasty.

I was wondering about all of your eating habits! DuhDave, I feel the same as I'm eating chocolate and cookies most of the time, but I fixed myself a pretty decent meal yesterday. Was a huge portion but I finished my plate like a big girl. It's also good for keeping yourself busy, planning cheap groceries by looking through the deals, going shopping and the cooking itself. Breakfast is hard for me as well. So used to getting my calories from a scotch and coke. But oats are easy on the stomach and really cheap. Try overnight oats, where you put oats with milk or water in the fridge at night, and they're ready to eat in the morning. Lots of interesting variations to be found online!

Still worried about my uncle. He was in a fight with his boss just last week because he works 20 hour days, 5 days a week! Inhumane and probably caused him to pay less attention which led to his fall. This might get him in trouble with his insurance as well. But my whole family is adamant in dragging his boss to court if need be. For now, he is awake at times, but doesn't remember anything, like how to suck on the spunge to keep his lips from drying out. He is only 52 and just had his first grandchild.
Old 04-17-2016, 02:16 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Sleep for me was quite hard to stabilise. I think it was a month or two before I started sleeping soundly... but it does pass. I also found myself compensating with sweet things. I always knew there were a lot of calories in alcohol but I hadn't realised how many of those calories came from sugar. Apart from withdrawing from alcohol we also miss that sugar buzz. I offset a lot in the first few months with chocolate and ice cream. I didn't worry too much about it as I was staying sober and that was my only priority. Slowly, over the months, I have started eating better and have lost some weight. Even so, I still enjoy a piece of chocolate after dinner most evenings

Hope you're all enjoying a peaceful Sunday.
Old 04-17-2016, 02:34 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DuhDave View Post
Welcome Ring. Yes, the fatigue is affecting me greatly and I'am only Day 5.

I think I need to pay more attention to my diet and nutrition. Especially breakfast . I really need to stop "Grazing" all day and eat some good nutritious meals.

Nice to meet you Ring.

DD
Hi Dave, Thanks for the welcome! I have all my vitamins, water, fruit and tea. I think it is just all the toxins coming out. I would rather be tired though than hung over so I am soldiering on. I am in Australia so have had a successful weekend and ready for a good nights sleep and work tomorrow.
Old 04-17-2016, 04:25 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Well, I'm starting over today. I let my AV get the better of me yesterday and had a couple of beers with my best friend when we went out for dinner. I have a dozen of excuses and justifications but I won't bore you all with them. The fact is, I made a decision not to drink, and then I drank anyway. And then, since I already came back on my promise, I came home and had a mixed drink later. At that point, I was in the 'it doesn't matter now' frame of mind. I did stop after one drink at home though.

I will also spare you all the reasons my AV is telling me it's not a big deal. I'm sure I'm not unique in this experience. I just have to suck it up and move forward.

So, today is day 1 and I'm not going to drink today.

BBB
Old 04-17-2016, 04:48 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Originally Posted by BlueBlueBird View Post
Well, I'm starting over today. I let my AV get the better of me yesterday and had a couple of beers with my best friend when we went out for dinner. I have a dozen of excuses and justifications but I won't bore you all with them. The fact is, I made a decision not to drink, and then I drank anyway. And then, since I already came back on my promise, I came home and had a mixed drink later. At that point, I was in the 'it doesn't matter now' frame of mind. I did stop after one drink at home though.

I will also spare you all the reasons my AV is telling me it's not a big deal. I'm sure I'm not unique in this experience. I just have to suck it up and move forward.

So, today is day 1 and I'm not going to drink today.

BBB
Let this be a great learning experience BBB. The AV will tell you anything in order to get you to drink. Celebrate April 17 as your first day of new found sobriety. April 17 was my sobriety date last year. I would love to share this special day with you!
Old 04-17-2016, 04:50 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  
Administrator

What a great sentiment stargazer
welcome back BBB

D
Old 04-17-2016, 05:00 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing BBB! I love that you came right back to us, that's very brave.
Old 04-17-2016, 05:49 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

BBB- I am glad you came back here and are ready to start again.

Welcome Dave!

I am at a hotel this morning and there is no coffee in the room and the continental breakfast isn't until 7 am. I have tea but I don't have a microwave safe cup....lol.

Update- I found some microwave cups!! Having tea now.
Old 04-17-2016, 06:20 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Sugar Addictiton and Alcoholism

Thanks to DuhDave and Amp123 for reminding me to look in to sugar addiction and alcoholism.

It's always struck me as odd that my abuse of alcohol coincided with the loss of my abuse of chocolate. Now, instead of reaching for the biscuits or choc box when I'm hungry the first thing that comes to mind is a nice vodka and tonic. It was a while before I realised that I'd only substituted alcohol for chocolate in terms of sugar fix. Perhaps we should also be looking at a sugar detox? Sugar is the most addictive chemical in the world and far from harmless physically.

Here's a reasonably interesting article on sugar addiction and alcoholism for anybody who's interested:

Sugar Addiction and the Alcoholism Link :: Guess What Normal Is

And DuhDave, Livestrong recommends a high protein diet for us alcophiles, together with some vitamin pills:

Diet for Recovering Alcoholics | LIVESTRONG.COM

;-)