Notices

Class of March 2016 Support Thread Part 7

Old 04-05-2016, 10:41 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Hi March! Just swinging by to wish you all a happy, peaceful, sober day.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:44 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Fabela - I am Scandinavian; well 1/2, anyway. My paternal grandparents came to the US from Finland after WWII. My dad was 100% Finn. My grandpa tried to teach me some Finnish when I was little, but aside from recognizing that it is being spoken, I never caught on. I only know a couple of phrases that are only useful when one is trying insult or swear, lol.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:44 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Thanks, InControl!
Old 04-05-2016, 10:50 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

MITA I think of "Gonna Fly Now" when I see your avatar.

Trying hard now
It's so hard now
Trying hard now

Getting strong now
Won't be long now
Getting strong now

Both songs seem appropriate.

Peaceful Rain, sorry to hear about the death in your family. I hope all traces of your migraine are gone. They are the worst.

AppleKat - I miss that age with my kids. Mine may not have had tablets, but there was the Disney Channel and the internet was pretty new and fun when they were that young. I remember printing Barbie pictures for my girls to color and there was a website that you could design your own Barbie. It seemed so cool, now it seems kind of outdated.

Ladybug, you and Clearlyheaded both have children in swim class. I think that's cool. My kids played baseball/softball and a lot of soccer. (football for my European friends).

Casey - thanks for your posts. It feels good to see my name everyday. You're definitely on to something. I like that you are doing that for other classes also. I really don't feel like I know enough - however, I do like being the cheerleader.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:59 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I just remembered that my mom's boss at the time was in that Michael Jackson video for "Man in the Mirror." She was the doctor who treated the baby girl who fell down the well here in 1987.

I remember how impressed I was at age 12-13 when that video was released that I knew someone in a Michael Jackson video, even if it was only like one second of blurry news footage in reality. I also saw Oprah Winfrey at a McDonald's here while that baby Jessica in the well mess was going on.

And remembering all this just now sent me to Wikipedia. Here's a pretty cool quote from the page there on this incident that pertains to sobriety:

In 2010, blues musician Charlie Musselwhite released an album titled The Well. In the title song he credits McClure's ordeal for inspiring him to quit drinking, stating,

She was trapped in there with a broken arm in the dark, in a life-and-death situation she was singing nursery rhymes to herself and being brave...It made my problems seem tiny. So as a prayer to her and myself, I decided I wasn't going to drink till she got out of that well. It was like I was tricking myself, telling myself that I wasn't going to quit for good, just until she got out. It took three days to get her out, and I haven't had a drink since.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:04 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Hi everyone!

Checking in for the day.

On my flight this morning, we were stuck on the runway for about an hour due to fog. The airline attendant must have said five times over the loud speaker...."when we get up in the air we will start beverage service. We provide free wine and beer, and any cocktail for $6."

So of course, my mind went immediately to "oh good, free drinks!" Then...."Good gravy it's 7:00 in the morning and they are serving drinks?! They're killing me here!" Went right to funky town for the whole flight.

I'm over it now.

Flower for everyone here. Stay strong.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:06 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Free wine and beer have a HUGE cost to us addicts, LillianGish. Good on you for refusing to pay the price. Thanks for checking in!
Old 04-05-2016, 11:07 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Wow. My oldest was a baby and I remember being glued to the tv when that happened. It was so different for me - watching that as a new parent.

Oprah and Michael Jackson? Your touch with fame is impressive.

You were in Jr. High - I think I was 21.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:13 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Originally Posted by Kayak63sc View Post
A poem for today

well, old friend,
I suppose this
is it, the end
of a harrowing road
that started out
innocently enough
but went off
a cliff long ago,
Loved the poem Kayak. I think of alcohol as my old friend and the fact that my friend has driven me off the cliff is a very good metaphor. Guess it wasn't my friend after all!

The judges rate your poem...
Old 04-05-2016, 11:32 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Hi friends. Just checking in this afternoon. Still sober. Gonna go take a nap. Still pretty upset with myself. You have no idea how much your love & support means. (((Thank you)))
Old 04-05-2016, 11:42 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Kiki, there's no point being upset with yourself. You just have to learn from your mistake and get back on the wagon. We will be here for you, even if you stumble and fall. We care about you and want you to be happy.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:52 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Kiki we are here for you. Enjoy your nap!
Old 04-05-2016, 11:55 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fabela View Post
Kiki, there's no point being upset with yourself. You just have to learn from your mistake and get back on the wagon. We will be here for you, even if you stumble and fall. We care about you and want you to be happy.
Exactly! Well said, Fabela
Old 04-05-2016, 12:00 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaseyW View Post
Hope that kid you're babysitting is young enough to want to take a nap soon, clearlyheaded. Hang in there.
No such luck, Casey. But I've banished them to the downstairs to at least contain the chaos and mess. And I'm surprisingly okay today. Up until 10:30 was touch and go, lol. But I perked up after that. I brewed a strong pot of ginger chai tea and have been sipping it over ice with cream and sugar. So. Good.

I've felt worse for wear with 6-7 hours of sleep after drinking, so I'm taking the lack of sober sleep in stride.
Old 04-05-2016, 12:04 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LillianGish View Post
Hi everyone!

Checking in for the day.

On my flight this morning, we were stuck on the runway for about an hour due to fog. The airline attendant must have said five times over the loud speaker...."when we get up in the air we will start beverage service. We provide free wine and beer, and any cocktail for $6."

So of course, my mind went immediately to "oh good, free drinks!" Then...."Good gravy it's 7:00 in the morning and they are serving drinks?! They're killing me here!" Went right to funky town for the whole flight.

I'm over it now.

Flower for everyone here. Stay strong.
Good for you! Nothing like being held captive and hearing free booze over and over again. Sounds like a bad dream!
Old 04-05-2016, 12:43 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

KIKI...

WHAT IS FAILURE?

You know very well what failure is. I know you understand failure more than every single person you can think of that you know in the real world.

I know you feel you have probably failed more than all your friends and relatives. Hell...that might actually be true for all that matter. Maybe you HAVE actually failed more than everyone.

So you know what failure is. I know that because I am an alcoholic. A raging alcoholic with drugs problems to boot. I know because I am an addict.

What you need to know, and what you can experience more than everyone you know, is SUCCESS.

Addiction breeds failure. And in many cases, like my own, failure feeds addiction. Separate failure from addiction altogether. Without one, the other simply wouldn't exist.

From here on forward, from this moment your reading this post, you are to succeed. Ok? Tell yourself that. You are going to succeed. There's no need to worry about failure when you succeed. You ARE going to succeed!

The good news is, you have already started the process. You have successfully told yourself you are not going to drink today. That's success.

You didn't go on a bender, you didn't quit trying, you didn't give up. That right there is pretty damn successful. Don't ya think?

Then...as if ANYTHING could top THAT success, you posted up here. Gee wiz. Seriously. I'm not trying to be facetious. That's pretty damn successful too!!

Now...before you can have any more success, you need to define it. To succeed at a goal, you need to set the goal first.

Here's what you do.
Set your goals for what you want to do for the rest of today. Wanna do nothing? Then make it your goal to do absolutely nothing for the rest of the day. Then go out there, and do NOTHING BETTER than anyone. I mean really nail it out of the park.

Then before you go to bed, think back at the last half of the day and ask yourself, "Did I achieve my goal of doing nothing?" If you can say yes, then you have succeeded.

In the morning, set your goals first thing. Like, wake up,get coffee brewing, pee, make a cup of joe, then sit down and set your goals for the day.

BTW, if you're like me, and brew your coffee before you owe no matter how bad you gotta go, you might just be an addict :/

Do that every day. Wake- set goals, in bed - see all the success you had that day. I find its best to have achieved at least ONE goal that you REALLY REALLY wanted. One thing that you wanted more than everything else.

If you are in a rush in the morning, set at least one goal as you drink the coffee you may be addicted to. Set the one goal as "I WILL NOT DRINK TODAY. NO MATTER WHAT".

You can do definately do that! And it would be a massive goal that you will really appreciate, when you go to bed, being successful with.

You are successful today, and you will be successful tomorrow.

If you want to succeed for the days, weeks, and months ahead, then make your sobriety plan.

If you had one, time to make a new one. Make a sobriety plan so you have bigger goals broken into smaller goals. Spend some good honest time on it. You success going forward is only going to be as good as your plan. Period.

So the more time you put into your plan, the MORE successful you're going to be. And, once you have an awesome plan drawn out, just do it.

No need to stress over what you're going to do to quit this stuff once and for all. No more being scared that you may end up killing yourself or losing everything, or everyone. It's over, because you're quit.

All you need to worry about is following what your plan dictates. Don't have to think about tomorrow or the day after. Just follow your plan today.

And the KEY is to keep updating your plan. Your plan should include triggers and how to deal with them. Well...triggers change when you're sober. Or you may not have thought of all your triggers.

Keep updating it. And keep it somewhere where you can SEE it. Some place safe obviously. I used my smart phone to log my plan.

Before you start the new plan, ask yourself and perhaps share with the rest of us alcoholics;
1. What happened
2. Why
3. How IS your plan going to be different?

Sharing that will help us. And the best part with sharing that with us? You get ideas that you might find helpful. Ideas that make your plan even better!
Old 04-05-2016, 01:37 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Well, it's 4:30pm here and, after 6 days of peace and quiet, my AV is back. I knew it was just a matter of time. My husband is having a crisis with one of his clients and just told me he will probably be working until 2am. Why does my AV have such a field day with this?? I have plans to go to dinner with my mom in about an hour so hopefully I will feel better afterwards. Just posting here to "tell on myself". I won't drink tonight.
Old 04-05-2016, 01:46 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Good job telling on yourself, Bugsy. I like that. I also hope dinner goes well and that you don't drink.
Old 04-05-2016, 01:58 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Enjoy your dinner with your mom. Check back in afterwards!

Remember how nice it'll feel in the morning to wake up not full of regret.
Old 04-05-2016, 03:06 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

I don't want to go anywhere it's too peopley out there