Notices

Class of March 2016 Support Thread Part 7

Old 04-05-2016, 09:13 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I know the Swedish/Danish words for "bridge" because I watch that television show Bron or Broen. And now I know how to say "fabulous" and "fantastic" in Norwegian thanks to you, Fabela. I'm darn near Scandinavian myself at this point! As long as we stick to talking about fabulous and fantastic bridges, that is.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:45 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, sorry I am late checking in. My daughter has swim class on Tuesday mornings and we all slept in (a little) so we were rushing around a little. Day 6 I was laying in bed last night with my 6 yo listening to her fall asleep and I just suddenly felt so grateful to be sober. It sure beats nights where I have to pop a breath mint before reading her a book, or being too buzzed, tired to enjoy our bedtime routine. This is such a better way to live. I pray I can continue to stay on this path. Husband is having another one of those weeks where is has to work every night so I am trying to stay one step ahead of my AV and make plans to get out of the house. Tonight the girls and I are meeting my mom for dinner so I should be ok. I will come here if my AV starts whining.

Hope everyone is doing well today and feeling good. Thoughts and hugs going out to those who are struggling or not feeling well. Love this group
Old 04-05-2016, 09:48 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Love the new artwork in your avatar, Ladybug2. What's going on with that middle tree pointing down?

Glad you're doing well! Congrats on day 6.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:53 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Haha Casey, my daughter made that yesterday in art class. I was wondering the same thing about the bending tree Will have to ask her tonight.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:55 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Probably just some strong winds in art class yesterday.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:56 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaseyW View Post
What kind of home improvement project are you contemplating, Man InTheArena. For some reason every time I type your name I want to sing it to the tune of that "Man in the Mirror" song by Michael Jackson.!
I am thinking something with the basement. I originally fixed it up about 15 years ago, so it could use some reworking and general updating. Plus, it gets me out of my wife's way and I don't have to get decorating approval from her. Haha. It is the basement!!

I think Man In The Mirror is a very appropriate song for the whole of the Sober Recovery website. "If you want to make the world a better place, Take a look at yourself and make then make a change"
Old 04-05-2016, 09:57 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Good job planning ahead LB!
Old 04-05-2016, 09:57 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

It's pretty quiet here today. Hope everyone is doing okay. If you haven't checked in yet today, hope to see you soon.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:59 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

....OR my phone simply wasn't updating until I posted that! Going to catch up on posts
Old 04-05-2016, 10:03 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Originally Posted by ManInTheArena View Post
I am thinking something with the basement. I originally fixed it up about 15 years ago, so it could use some reworking and general updating. Plus, it gets me out of my wife's way and I don't have to get decorating approval from her. Haha. It is the basement!!
Haha...are you sure it's the basement?

Growing up in West Texas, I'm fascinated by houses with basements. 99.9% of houses here don't have them because the ground is too damn hard and full of big rocks and thus costly to dig into. I'd love to own a house with a basement. It'd be my Batcave!
Old 04-05-2016, 10:04 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I'm here and reading, day 37. Just trying to catch up on dishes while my little one ACTUALLY naps, and letting 4 yr old play on iPad.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:05 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Wow you guys have been busy! I've missed an entire thread

I'm coming off a 2 day migraine, those freakin suck!!!

Well I probably won't check in again for a few days unless I get a chance in the evenings. My cousin's dad died. They loved what I did for my moms funeral and reception (I told you I am a Pinterest addict) so I have another project that needs to be done quickly. I'm pretty sure Pinterest is going to be the death of me somehow!

I hope everyone is doing well and I hope to catch up soon!
Old 04-05-2016, 10:05 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Re-Member

What did parents of young children do before the invention of tablets and smartphones, Applekat? I know they've certainly made my job easier as far as dealing with kids in my business.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:07 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Great to see you, PeacefulRain. Glad your migraine is going away, but sorry to hear about the death in the family. If you get a chance, I'm sure we'd all like to know the details of whatever project you're working on.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:08 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaseyW View Post
What did parents of young children do before the invention of tablets and smartphones?
My mother gave me a piece of tape, and when I finally got it off my left hand it stuck to my right. I could go on for hours.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:09 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about the death, PR. Hope you feel better soon.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:11 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Made their kids build forts, use their imagination, and wander in the yard....haha! It's such a treat, and it's cold outside, and he is aimless without big sister home and me to attend to him.

And my kids do plenty of stuff besides play on tablets. That's part of the problem with my own lack of self-care - I think I've allowed them to become too dependent on me for play and down time. I have virtually no time to myself. Right now. Won't be forever.

And then another parent will make a joke about tablet use and chuckle and say "everything in moderation though right?"

Right. If you can handle moderation.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:19 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Re-Member

You can always try Fabela's piece of tape idea, Applekat.

The only child really in my life right now is my ten year old nephew. My dad and stepmom are raising him, they live just two blocks from me so I am around him a lot. He's high-functioning autistic so I can very much understand dealing with a child being highly dependent on the adults around him. Despite the social awkwardness that comes from his autism, he does not like being alone at all. He has a lot of trouble initiating or thinking of things to keep himself busy so that responsibility falls on those around him a lot of the time.

Tablets have actually been a godsend for him--he can read above his age level but lacks the fine motor skills to write legibly so he is allowed to use tablets and computers to write almost all his schoolwork. It's made a huge difference in his confidence levels at home and school both.

Moderation is sort of a curse word to us addicts, isn't it?
Old 04-05-2016, 10:22 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Yes I always feel so silly using that phrase about other things in my life.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:32 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I hate that word