Notices

Class of April 2016 Support Thread Part 1

Old 04-02-2016, 07:06 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

So I guess I better say more than just "hi."

Been sober on and off with the help of SR since 2011. More on off than on, truthfully. It's always crazy binges and then coming to the realization that I have to stop the madness.

I'm a nursing student. 32 years old, have two kids, am divorced and live in a blended family now with my boyfriend, who I adore. He's been absolutely patient with me. He barely drinks. Want to stop for him and for me and for the kids. My dad's an alcoholic too. Drinking makes me miserable and sucks the life out of me, yet I keep running back to it. Anyway.

Emme, I love your plan. Need to write one down myself.

Thanks for having me back.
Old 04-02-2016, 07:21 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Joining this class, if that's OK. Still struggle with stopping for even a day, but I do want to. I hope the continued support will get me past my mental barrier and into sobriety. Failed in the March class, but still trying, wanting.
Old 04-02-2016, 07:25 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Thirteeth

D
Old 04-02-2016, 07:28 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Administrator

Don't be like me and lose all the stuff you love before you quit, BBF.

You've shown you can quit - you need to work on the staying quit bit?

D
Old 04-02-2016, 11:53 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Originally Posted by emme99 View Post
1. Don't drink (no matter what - thanks Casey)
I love your plan and am so happy to see you here in this class. For me, it's not just don't drink, it's don't take that first drink in particular. I try to always remember it's the first drink that gets me drunk. As long as we don't take the first one no matter what, we don't have to worry about the second or third or tenth one because they can never happen without that first one.

Wishing you and everyone else here a happy and sober Sunday. So glad to see this class coming alive!
Old 04-03-2016, 12:51 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Hi All

Day 1 here.

Joined SR about 2 months ago and had about 6 false starts of varying timeframes. I was in February class and even stayed there after I slipped in several times in March, but now most of that class are approaching 2 months sober and I feel as though they are in a different league or phase to me now. I think you go through different things comparing day 1 to 2 months, if you know what I mean.

I need to pull my socks up and come up with new strategies to stay sober for good this time.

Peace and love
Old 04-03-2016, 01:35 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Don't be like me and lose all the stuff you love before you quit, BBF.

D
Just wanted to give you a big hug dear Dee. You have your sobriety, your wonderful work here, your other half and us though :-))) So you haven't lost everything. Look at what youve gained :-)
Old 04-03-2016, 02:03 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Hi all,

After a year of drinking at weekends and a couple of months of drinking every day, I've realised that I'm waiting to hit some sort of bottom before being ready to quit again. Which is about the most stupid thing I can think of, especially now I see it written down.

It's a beautiful spring day here. I don't want to waste another year like I've wasted this one. I'm in. Nice to meet you all xxx
Old 04-03-2016, 02:18 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Hi guys. I was in the class of March but screwed up on Friday having done exactly what my sponsor told me NOT to do which was tap into my triggers. Needless to say Armageddon ensued and I really don't need any more lessons or experiments to prove I am an alcoholic. Now on day 2. Went to a meeting yesterday and begged a kindly old timer to dispose of a bottle of alcohol in my car which she promptly did.. And I am back at the beginning but still here still wanting to live and not wanting to drink.
Welcome janey. It's a beautiful day today, you've made the right decision. Elle
Old 04-03-2016, 02:57 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Paix Amour View Post
Just wanted to give you a big hug dear Dee. You have your sobriety, your wonderful work here, your other half and us though :-))) So you haven't lost everything. Look at what youve gained :-)
Thanks PA - I understand your message now.

Those losses were a long time ago, years before I got sober, and I've gained so much more since then.

Life is good. I'm not sad at all - but thank you for caring

D
Old 04-03-2016, 02:59 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to you Paix, and to StillSleeping and Elle - great to have you guys back with us

D
Old 04-03-2016, 03:05 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Thank you Dee. Am loving all of these Walt Whitman quotes on here. I'm a Brit so don't know his work. Will look him up! Elle
Old 04-03-2016, 03:11 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

I am still struggling

Still struggling, relapsed 2 weeks ago after 1 month sober :-(
Old 04-03-2016, 03:19 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome 261179 - you'll find a lot of support here

D
Old 04-03-2016, 03:21 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

You're in the right place 26. Welcome. A lot of help around here for you. I did the same 1 month and then the last week of constant struggle. Now getting back into the absolute joy of being sober. Elle
Old 04-03-2016, 03:21 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Administrator

I recommend these two links to everyone

this is one on making a recovery plan to help you stay sober:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

and this is a great link on dealing with cravings
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html
Old 04-03-2016, 03:41 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stillsleeping View Post
Hi all,

After a year of drinking at weekends and a couple of months of drinking every day, I've realised that I'm waiting to hit some sort of bottom before being ready to quit again. Which is about the most stupid thing I can think of, especially now I see it written down.

It's a beautiful spring day here. I don't want to waste another year like I've wasted this one. I'm in. Nice to meet you all xxx
Hi SS. Nice to meet you too

Yip, the everyday drinking sure is a giveaway that there's a problem.

Its not that stupid actually . I think its how we all feel. The important thing is that you recognise it and want change.

See you around.

Peace and love
Old 04-03-2016, 03:47 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Elle126 View Post
Hi guys. I was in the class of March but screwed up on Friday having done exactly what my sponsor told me NOT to do which was tap into my triggers. Needless to say Armageddon ensued and I really don't need any more lessons or experiments to prove I am an alcoholic. Now on day 2. Went to a meeting yesterday and begged a kindly old timer to dispose of a bottle of alcohol in my car which she promptly did.. And I am back at the beginning but still here still wanting to live and not wanting to drink.
Welcome janey. It's a beautiful day today, you've made the right decision. Elle
Hi Elle

Well done on day 2.

Im from February, and messed up too. We've all done it plenty of times. Key is.....to make it finally stick for good, but we need to keep trying in order to do that.

You got back on the horse quick smart, that's good.

Are you going to meetings everyday?
Old 04-03-2016, 03:55 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 261179 View Post
Still struggling, relapsed 2 weeks ago after 1 month sober :-(
Hi 26

Would you like to join me in staying sober for the next 24 hours from NOW? We can do it together. If you're drinking right now, you'd need to stop and/or tip it out.

Its 10.55pm here. Ive got none in the house and all liquor shops are closed and supermarkets stop selling at 11pm. Plus, my son's unwell and asleep in bed and Im in bed too, I'll be asleep in 5 mins. So Im all good for the rest of the night/early morning :-)

Are you in 26?

Im logging off now because Im going to sleep, but I will check back in here in about 8 or 9 hours ok? So that will be 9 easy hours. Then Ive got to work on making it through the day sober. I can do it.
Old 04-03-2016, 04:15 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Hey guys. I just thought I'd drop in to say hi. I got sober in April last year and a lot of that was down to the support I got here in SR. My April 2015 group has been huge support and we kind of pulled each other through those first few days, weeks and months. I also find a lot of support in the one year and under group which I heartily recommend. The month group is great because everyone is kind of going through the same kind of stuff at the same time, but it's good to mix it up in the "Undies" group because you meet people who are a bit ahead of you and a bit behind so there is a lot of shared wisdom.

I'd just like to congratulate all of you on getting on board. Time to face the demons. It's a roller coaster but there are a lot of successes here. Hold on to your hats!