D
Old 04-01-2016, 11:44 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Do your best

Have a great day everyone
Old 04-01-2016, 11:54 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you're quitting this month, please do come and join the thread.

Us old fogies post from time to time - but it's really a thread for newly sober folks to get some peer support.

The support in these threads really is something else.

Don't be shy

D
Old 04-02-2016, 01:37 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi.
Need this more than ever. Hope to make lots of new friends. On day three .
Old 04-02-2016, 02:44 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome OpalBlue

D
Old 04-02-2016, 05:44 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by opalblue View Post
Hi.
Need this more than ever. Hope to make lots of new friends. On day three .
Congrats on day 3 and welcome!
Old 04-02-2016, 07:49 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hi ring, bb, and opal! Im jade and on day 7!

Yesterday I had plenty of cravings and feelings of being left out. I went on date night with bf. We had an amazing alcohol free meal. Its always weird when I see people drinking martinis and wine and I can't have any.

Yesterday I wanted just one glass of wine... which would have turned into a million.

My bf and I were sitting there and behind us, out the window, was the "land shark". Its a popular bus shaped like a shark that takes you around santa barbara and you party on it.

All these college kids were playing "slap the bag" - a drinking game where you pass around the bag inside boxed wine and as someone is chugging out of it everyone tries to slap it (I know, super difficult huh?). So many drunk people making fools out of themselves.

I had a hint of jealousy and then I saw how sloppy they all looked.

Sobriety is so much classier
Old 04-02-2016, 08:53 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Welcome to SR, opalblue. Congratulations on choosing a better way of life in recovery.

Jade1224--I think seeing someone doing something as stupid as "Slap the Bag" would be enough to keep me sober for a long time to come. But then I never understood drinking games. Drinking was absolutely no game for me ever. Congrats on finishing up one week today.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:02 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Thanks casey!

Drinking games were fun when I was like 18. Some of these kids were drunk and loud and it wasn't even 7 yet.

That used to be me. What a waste of a Friday night.

I had oysters, a caesar salad, crawfish pasta, dessert, and coffee. I had an amazing, romantic talk with my bf. All while 50 college kids pass their time by chugging boxed wine behind me.

Really puts things in perspective.
Old 04-02-2016, 10:32 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I'd like to join this class. Finally had my "aha" moment about a week ago. Turning 34 on April 12. Want my last drink to have been when I was 33. Got sober for about 4 weeks last Spring and felt great. This time, I'm in it for the long haul, and this month is just the start.
Old 04-02-2016, 11:52 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Hey all. I joined the "Class of April 2010" Thread when I was new here. Coming up on six years sober. Much of that had to do with the great people here at SR. I go back and read that Thread every year. I hope you all find what inspires you to continue with, or start on, recovery.
Old 04-02-2016, 01:41 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Wow. 6years! That is awesome.

That's how it's done here! You find it in yourself to quit, soak up everything that SR has to offer, get a TON of support, and next thing you know, you're posting in a new group 6yrs later wishing them the same success.

I quit on 4/20/15. It's very exciting to see the new April start up. Not just because I'll hit my first year sober, but I'm going to witness others reclaim their lives!

The moment you put down the bottle, is the very moment you have less to worry about.
Old 04-02-2016, 01:58 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hi everybody....

One side of me is saying '....c'mon, not another class'.
But I know it only becomes a fail when you fail to try again.

Had some good months of sober in 2015, learnt a lot about how to live without alcohol....I genuinely enjoyed the freedom of it. But drifted back into it, a lack of that total commitment.

So... Yesterday visitors gift a very 'nice' bottle of red. After they leave I stand there looking at it for a few long moments. Late Saturday afternoon....the hardest moment of the week. And I've just been handed a bottle of 2009 Shiraz. Great. You know the sudden mind twists....'just drink Sat afternoons from now on....' etc and so on.

But this morning is the start of day 5. The red is stashed safely.....tho not 'sinked', I'll gift it along.

So.....Class of April. Off to a slow start....but stayers are like that, okay?

All the best , talk soon.
Old 04-02-2016, 03:20 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Had a busy day. A friend came over for dinner later. She drank wine and I drank water all night. Had a thought of drinking but let it just be a thought.
About to go to bed..sober. Speak tomorrow all
Old 04-02-2016, 03:21 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

P.s Thanks for the welcomes everyone
Old 04-02-2016, 04:22 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Administrator

Really good to see this group growing - and welcome Canguy

D
Old 04-02-2016, 05:29 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Canguy...
Welcome to April buddy! I'm right behind Dee to welcome you in! Can you believe I'm a few weeks away from 1 year!?! I hate to see you join multiple groups since our first meet. Not to say that I didn't have multiple groups...I just had them before SR. Many, many failed attempts. I also was "lucky" enough to hit bottom, so that was pretty motivating for sure. Lol.

There is no failure until you quit trying. You are so right man. Do you mind if I ask...what IS the goal you are trying to achieve? In March, you wanted 90 days then see where it goes from there.

I ask because I would just love to see you achieve it. Too many people give up. Only to end up on "rock bottom" where the only option is to die or fight. Given your proven tenacity to keep pushing, there's no doubt you're going to achieve your goal.

What is that goal?
Old 04-02-2016, 06:03 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Welcome OpalBlue!

Sounds like a pretty great day. Companionship and going to bed sober. You'll be even more thankful in the morning!

It's hard when you have friends that don't know what you're doing. They don't realize the impact their choice to drink has on you.

I had recently quit dipping (smokeless tobacco) and smoking. It was a very different quit. I announced to everyone I knew I was quitting so I would hold myself accountable. I did it so that it would be harder to cave.

Alcohol didn't go down that way. Only with my GF. After some sober time, after seeing the benefits of sobriety, and after being really proud of my accomplishment, did I tell everyone. Today, I'm super proud to announce that I don't drink. No reasons needed most of the time. For those who inquire, I'm honest and tell them that I was drinking too much and felt it best to stop.

I just don't go into the shocking details that drinking too much meant drinking first thing in the morning straight until I went to bed!!

Speaking of which...I should be heading to bed soon. Congrats on your win today. Great job!
Old 04-02-2016, 06:07 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, I would like to join this class. Sorry for this long post and it is a lot more information than you probably want but I need this to be the last time I do this so I am putting it out there to hold myself accountable. I was in the June 2015 class and did well for a couple of months but have been struggling since. Thursday night I drank way more than I have in a long time and I felt awful until early this morning and I need to stop. I am going to work hard to make this my final attempt.

I spent today putting together a plan. I will be honest, there are a lot of things on it that are changes from my life today and I don't think I will be able to follow it completely in the beginning so initially I am going to focus on the most critical items. These are the top items on my plan:

1. Don't drink (no matter what - thanks Casey)
2. Make sure there is no alcohol in the house
3. Daily Prayer
4. Make sure I take my meds consistently (one being Naltrexone) because I hate taking them and usually stop for one reason or another
5. Log in here and post on this thread, the 24 hour thread and my gratitude thread at least once per day
6. Make sure I have a lot of non-alcoholic beverages available at all times (water, tea, crystal light, and maybe some pop in the beginning, etc)
7. Read at least 5 pages of the AA Big Book per day. I don't go to AA but I am considering a women's only meeting on Saturday mornings and someone suggested reading the book even if you don't attend AA so I figure I really have nothing to lose by reading it.
8. Attend the local SMART meeting on Monday nights. Based on what I have read about SMART, I think it might work for me. It is very, very hard for me to walk in to meetings like this and I tried to go to the Women's AA meeting a couple of weekends ago and sat in my car. I tried to go the SMART meeting last week and talked myself out of it so I am hoping I can somehow get myself to the meeting and go inside.

I have other things on my plan too, diet changes, meditation, exercise, etc but I don't want to add/change too much that I can't keep up with it and end up getting frustrated and quitting, which I have done many times in the past. I am seeing my doctor on Monday to have my thyroid checked as sometimes my thyroid meds need to be adjusted and I am going to see if she can check my liver too. I sometimes have pain (not sure if it is my liver or not) and it worries me. It has been 1.5-2 years since I last had it checked and it will either give me peace of mind or extra incentive to quit.

That is it for now. Glad to see people joining the class . My first day will be tomorrow. I had family staying with me last month and they have a bunch of beer here which they are supposed to come & pick up tomorrow morning. I can't have alcohol in my house so that needs to be gone asap.

Welcome to everyone I think this will be a great class
Old 04-02-2016, 06:55 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lovetolisten View Post
I'd like to join this class. Finally had my "aha" moment about a week ago. Turning 34 on April 12. Want my last drink to have been when I was 33. Got sober for about 4 weeks last Spring and felt great. This time, I'm in it for the long haul, and this month is just the start.
Welcome. I'm turning 33 in july, can't believe I'm still in this cycle. Looking forward to staying sober w you ltl!