Notices

Class of October 2014 Part 29

Old 04-01-2016, 09:01 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

With a few thousand TV shows I bet BD...I am so behind!!!
Old 04-01-2016, 09:02 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

V - poor kitty! I'm sure she'll recover soon. Mine is walking back and forth across the desk as I attempt to type this. She is cute, but helpful...not so much.

I'm so glad it's Friday. It was a tough week at work. Justice crashed and burned today. I spent all week trying to help a battered wife intercept funds from the sale of her wealthy abuser's $2 million home to pay for her medical bills (he put her in a coma, so yeah, he needs to kick down for that). The court refused to issue a critical document for technical reasons that we feel are profound BS. It was pretty rough. It's hard not to bring that stress home with me, you know? It's hard to come home and cook dinner and go about my happy evening without thinking about that poor woman and what her evening must be like.

I've actually been thinking lately about my sensitivity to stuff like that. I'm very empathetic, which can be brutal, but it's important to me because I feel like I honor people's experiences by really feeling for them. It makes me feel like I can do something to help when realistically I can't. It's definitely an area where I need to find a better balance.

But the workday is over, and I'm here in my own life now, in my comfy jammies with my annoying cat rubbing her ass on my face. It's all good.
Old 04-01-2016, 09:31 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I hear you Briar, and I have an idea for you...it was something an awesome member posted here in another thread the other day, and I had read it before, and forgotten, but I really like this:

I know it is simplistic, but perhaps there is a way to adapt it to make it work for you?

Old 04-01-2016, 09:57 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

That's really beautiful V, thank you!
Old 04-01-2016, 10:10 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

And by the way, although I am the world's biggest cat lover (well, not quite, but you get my drift), if Vuvvy Cat ever put her bum in my face I would not be impressed. She never has....she has excellent manners.
Old 04-02-2016, 05:30 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Let me just say, I've had both, and, butt in the face or not, cats are way more elegant than dogs!!! My Hux loves a good scratch on his haunches. He goes through my legs like a cat! This morning, he was wagging so enthusiastically while he did that, that he was slapping his own face with his tail as he doubled back for another pass through my legs.

That is a beautiful post, V, the Trouble Tree.

Briar, I get how your job can stress you. I once did a clinical rotation on a spinal cord unit. I think it was the hardest work I've ever done. There was a guy, about my age, who was a quad because he drunkenly jumped off a low roof, or something like that. Not a suicide attemp, but goofing around type stuff. Another, a young woman with her fist battle in a lifetime she would then live sith a severe case of MS. I had such empathy for my patients, I remember them to this day. I remember the tears breakdowns of the woman with MS. My heart broke for her. My supervisor was like a drill sargent. The whole thing was so draining. I knew I could never do it long term.

That poor woman you were trying to help. I would have a hard time leaving that at work. I am too principled and hate unfairness. What a jerk of a guy, too. He could give her money easily, but it's about power and control. Ugh. Maybe you need to look for something else? You are so bright. But, I can imagine you also are rewarded for your work on a good day. You need to be doing something you are passionate about? It's tricky.

I'd be happy with a boring, easy job right about now!

I went up to bed at 9 or so last night, it worked on a pile of laundry that was in my way, on my bed, for awhile. But, I got a good nights sleep and am up early. Have a few more things to do around the house, but that never ends. Need to come up with a dinner plan.
Old 04-02-2016, 07:22 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Slept in until 9 which is unheard of but I stayed up until 1, which is rare. Started my day with the FAFSA (Free Application of Federal Student Aid) which is required for every year your kid is in college and just ups the fun quota! Now that that's done I'll be able to focus on cranking out more product for the upcoming events.

Venus, I am still way behind on TV, just picked up a new one, 'The Catch', with Mireille Enos, who I loved in 'The Killing." In that one, she was so drab and plain and buried in bulky sweaters. This time you get to see how pretty she is.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:48 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hey guys! I'm a week behind... the flu hit our house on Easter Sunday. After missing a week of school, Jr. is finally fever-free and Cowboy is heading to work for a bit today. Somehow, it skipped me. My fingers are crossed that it continues to move on out of our house. My mom came over last night to help disinfect and wash laundry. What a mess of a week! I'm so thankful for her help.
This morning, we took the dog to the vet for a booster shot, hit the donut shop on the way home, and are about to add okra startings to our garden beds. (And by "we", I mean "me". Jr is not up for much more than a car ride today. bleh.)
I think I've figured out how to upload pics again! Let's give it a try... This is the garden after about a month of growth. We've already got some grape tomatoes and peppers. And the yellow squash is growing to the north, just as planned! It should eventually start to cascade over the corner of the bed and spread in the yard. We've got plenty of room back there, so we may add some watermelon. It's been fun to watch each week.

We're using the square foot gardening method. It's pretty interesting to learn about, very do-able in a suburban backyard or patio area. Here's a link with more info:
http://squarefootgardening.org/

I hope you're all doing very well!! I've missed you each tons.
Old 04-02-2016, 02:29 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear the boys have been sick Conquest.
Glad it skipped you.

The garden is looking good.

Of course I am watching The Catch BD!
I love Peter Strausse, and it's a Shonda show, so it's a done deal.

Yes, she is pretty, but the amount of makeup is well, a lot.

Old 04-02-2016, 04:55 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Good to see you again Conquest. Garden is looking superb! We are miles from growing anything up this way. Looks like spring has gone a hiding. Tomorrow they are calling for two inches of snow with high gusty winds up to 65 mph! Craziness I say.

Well, I'm exhausted. I'll put on some vinyl then time for a shower...
Old 04-02-2016, 04:58 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Have a lovely relax and a good sleep Arbor.
Hope your littlest one is being good for dad.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:23 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hi guys,

Conquest - I'm glad you've managed to escape so far. Good luck!

Arbor - I hope the little ones are showing you some mercy. Whatever happens, you can survive!

V - I hope the little furry one is doing better.

Phoebe - it's so true, the tough cases stick with you. There are so many I'll never forget. So many parts of this town I can't drive through without thinking of the terrible things that happened there. It's hard to get involved in all that, but there's also something so meaningful about it. Even though we couldn't get that document yesterday, at least I know I did everything I could when others in my office blew her off, and I know my efforts meant a lot to her. Even though it didn't work out, she knows someone really gave a crap. Hopefully that will help restore at least a tiny bit of her faith in humanity.

Anyway, here's the latest mandala action:

Love you guys!
Old 04-02-2016, 09:32 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

It's beautiful....they get better and better.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:47 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Thanks! I finally got a compass so I can draw accurate circles. Cramped my creativity at first, but I'm learning how to work with it. So fun and relaxing!
Old 04-02-2016, 09:50 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Wow, I think I still have my compass in my pencil case from high school.
You know I noticed that....(you know me). I like perfect circles, what can I say?

Love you too Briar.
Old 04-03-2016, 04:48 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

That is just absolutely beautiful, Briar! I love the part near the outside that has the daisies peeking out. You've certainly got a gift for creating these.

Arbor, I hope you got some rest last night and the wind doesn't get too bad. 65 mph with snow?! Brrrrrrrr!

Never got to planting the okra yesterday, so it's still on the agenda for today. Plus lunch with family and grocery shopping for the week. But first, a cup of coffee in peace with the dog while the house is still quiet. Aaaaaaaah
Have a beautiful Sunday y'all!
Old 04-03-2016, 09:35 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hope you continue to remain healthy, Conquest. The garden looks lovely.

Gorgeous mandala, Briar!

We had a fun night with husband's sister, her Dh, and 4 children. They have a 2yo, and he is so cute and very sweet! He speaks so well, it was fun to listen to him mimic everyone. Husband served all the alcohol, and she only had 2 glasses of wine. I told her I am not drinking now, and, so, now, I am accountable to still have the rest of that bottle of wine when they fly back into Boston next weekend. I'll have husband stick it in the basement fridge.

So tired, but sure beats a hangover. Got up at 5:30 to get breakfast going, before the ride to catch their flight. Need to go get my boy from Sunday school.

Have a good afternoon all.
Old 04-03-2016, 12:26 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Yeah, Arbor, don't freeze over there! That weather is madness. I can't even imagine.

Conquest, there's nothing better than a quiet house. My husband took my daughter to the store, so I've got the place to myself for an hour or so. It's wonderful, so peaceful.

The thing that drives me up the wall right now is my daughter saying "but mom..." all the time. I swear, everything I say is met with "but mom" and some sort of complaint. My parents used to say to me "no ifs, ands, or buts." I hated that, but now I totally get it! Ah, the silence is golden.

My walk with my walking buddy this morning was nice. She's in my inner circle, and I am comfortable with her, but otherwise I'm feeling pretty anti social. We are going to a party at another friend's house tonight. They are big wine people, and I wasn't looking forward to it at all, but I just found out that my dearest friend T is going, so now it's all good. He doesn't drink either, so we'll just hide out in the back. The weather could not be more perfect.

Ooh Phoebe, check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDCk2sm2Xso

I'm definitely going to try the watercolor thing.
Old 04-03-2016, 12:59 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Thanks, Briar. Good luck with that party! I have no interest in parties either. Sometimes there's nothing I can do about that. Other times it's a clear, "no".

There's a guy on the 24hr thread that goes by the name of Supertired. I say it to myself all the time. It's my theme. "Supertired, Supertired..."
Old 04-03-2016, 06:13 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Sitting here watching the ACM's. Why is every country song nowadays about drinking? Wtf? All these young kids glamorizing it with the stars.

I'm off to bed. Night guys.