Notices

Class of August 2014 Part 22

Old 06-09-2016, 04:51 AM
  # 221 (permalink)  

London check in dude, you're missed xxx
Old 06-10-2016, 02:46 AM
  # 222 (permalink)  

Is it really Friday? Yes!!! Sweet fancy Moses!!!!

I realized this morning I have been letting work and the people there annoy me too much. Enough with that, gotta step back and laugh at it all. Perspective on things is key.

London, where you is brotha? Give us a quick high five when you can dude.

"Enjoy the journey, enjoy every moment, and quit worrying about winning and losing." Marat biondi

Wiggle it.
Old 06-10-2016, 03:59 AM
  # 223 (permalink)  

Greetings!

I pm'd London a few days ago; he has been very busy- work has sent him to Germany for a few days, he has been helping with a family matter, and he is working on buying the new place. He said he will be back on the thread soon.

I have a crazy weekend ahead, starting with a retirement party tonight in Boston.

Great to hear from you, Choobie.

Determined, I think that happens to everyone at work - and, for some reason, people seemed to irritate me most at this time of year. Weird, huh?

Ultra, how is the ankle?

Pink, what ever happened to your friend who was in the hospital?

Let's keep on keeping on!
Old 06-10-2016, 04:19 AM
  # 224 (permalink)  

Thanks for the London news Scooter and I hear you with the work thing Detrmined. Hope. Your new position is good Pink.

Ankle is better and I'm going to run a new trail this morning. I'm also experimenting with strategies to is take in 200-300 calories per hour on the runs. I'd been dipping half of that whicjph is fine for now- but will catch up to me in my eventual 50 miler.

Lets stay strong!
Old 06-10-2016, 02:07 PM
  # 225 (permalink)  

Hey guys!
Work pays the bills and gives us the finds to live our dreams. That's what gets me through the day sometimes!

Have done first 2 parts of my dissertation with good feedback so far. 8 more parts to go . Long slog !

Take care everyone xxx
Old 06-11-2016, 04:37 AM
  # 226 (permalink)  

Good Morning Team! I've got a quick request.

A person I know is looking to go alcohol free relatively shortly. Can you share a couple of pieces of advice that helped thru the early days (or now)? I've shared a bunch about my journey but I thing other perspectives are worthwhile.

Thanks Team! I continue to be honored to be on this epic quest with you!
Old 06-11-2016, 02:20 PM
  # 227 (permalink)  

Things that got me through the early days:

Keeping busy and out if the house as much as possible as this is where I drank the most
Avoiding social events due to temptation , not the case now
always drive, reduce temptation
Find a hobby, I started sewing, studying, swimming, climbing, tennis.
Chocolate!
I put £5 a day in a sealed money box as that was my bottle of wine a day. After 6 months I broke it and that was my thailand holiday spending money
I told my close friends and family so that it was real and harder to fail
Get a support network ASAP, I found you guys!
Take time to adjust, cry if you need to, pamper yourself, let you body grieve through the transition.
I kept a diary everyday to remind me how hard the day before had been, that way I wouldn't go backwards.
Celebrating each week as a win with a treat not drink related.

Don't know if any of these are helpful ultra, but I'm glad I reflected on this, so I thank you!
Old 06-12-2016, 09:00 AM
  # 228 (permalink)  

Greetings!

Ultra, I did not keep a journal, but I wish I had. For years I would try to get sober, it would last a few days, I would think I had everything under control, and I would drink again - thinking sure I could stop at one or two or three.....and, we all know how that doesn't work. A journal would be a great reminder of how awful a hangover is, how embarrassing the "bloated, hungover look" is, etc.

The fundraiser I went to in Newport last night was very interesting. We sat with a retired tennis pro and his wife, who told me she cried all day Friday mourning Mohammed Ali - she loved him, had been to all his major fights, had met him and his current wife- then started crying again. She went to the ladies room to compose herself; my friend Bob was busy talking to a business client, and the husband/retired tennis pro handed me his card and told me he would love it if I would phone him! I did not comment, put the card on the table and left it there, making him quite nervous when the wife came back! The old buffoon!!

I am off to two graduation parties today.

Let's keep on keeping on.
Old 06-12-2016, 01:43 PM
  # 229 (permalink)  

Lol scooter! Nice compliment to you there, be proud! Enjoy your graduations xx
Old 06-12-2016, 05:39 PM
  # 230 (permalink)  

Hilarious, Scooter! Tell his wife he offered you "tennis lessons".

Hmmm...words of advice. I didn't keep a journal, either. What I do remember is:
Just hold on. Don't put a drink in your hand or up to your lips.
Your brain will scream at you, but you will not die.
You may feel like you have the flu and feel weak and tired as your body adjusts. It will pass.
You may feel like a failure, but it's just the opposite. It's ok to go up and down through a range of emotions. None of them are wrong, just don't take a drink.
You will need to fill the time. You will be shocked at how much time you have.
Reward yourself. Buy new albums, new walking shoes, etc.
Don't go anywhere near temptation. It's not forever, but it's really important in the beginning.
Eat ice cream. It really helps.
Watch out for HALT. Hungry, angry, lonely, tired. Those are universal triggers.
Try to have something to drink with you all of the time for a while.
If you feel like you are going to explode, talk about it outloud-to yourself, a friend, spouse-anyone. Hear yourself outloud say the words "I'm not drinking today".
Find support. Anyone who understands this is important to you and cares enough to hold you to your own goals. SR is great.
As long as you don't take a sip, you will not drink. I still say the words "never take another sip". Now that I trust myself, it gives me great peace to know that I am free.
Find what helps and do that.
Remind yourself that you are moving forwards, not backwards.
Your body and soul will adjust. Your most active role is to never take a sip.
Old 06-12-2016, 10:09 PM
  # 231 (permalink)  

Hi Gang!!!

So, I am back, and been sober for the LONGEST stretch of my life (nearly 5 months now)! I found something (*The Three Principals, if anyone else has done it, or is curious to look it up), and I have never felt this amazing. I just wanted to check in and say hello, let folks know that I am still alive and (for the first time in ages) well, divorced but not bothered by that, and enjoying life more than I have in probably the past 6-7 years.

Cheers gang, and thanks for still being here. :-)

Hobbers/Kris
Old 06-13-2016, 02:49 AM
  # 232 (permalink)  

Happy Monday!

Great to see you hobbers! Glad you are doing great! What are the principles you mention? A book? I would like to check it out. Feeling like I need to recharge.

Fantastic posts and tips guys. What kept me going was simply wanting to be healthier and happier. And to be a role model of a dad. Still keeps me going.

"We either make ourselves happy or miserable. The amount of work is the same."

Have a kick ass Monday kids!
Old 06-13-2016, 03:58 AM
  # 233 (permalink)  

The Three Principals is more of a philosophy/way of life and being. It is SO much easier to show in person with a metaphor or two, than to explain. Look up Sidney Banks, Jack Pransky, Joe Bailey, and/or Three Principals for a brief synopsis. It's been, truly, a revolutionary change in my thinking, and a recognition of my level of control.

I posted two threads in the newcomers forum, with some big/pressing challenges I am curious how to fight through, if anyone wants to look for them. (Figured it was way better than reposting here.)

Missed you all!!!

Hobbers
Old 06-13-2016, 06:55 AM
  # 234 (permalink)  

Thanks for the 'early days' tips Team!
Old 06-13-2016, 06:56 AM
  # 235 (permalink)  

Great to hear your success Hobbers!
Old 06-14-2016, 02:56 AM
  # 236 (permalink)  

Good morning Cowboys and cowgirls!

Hobbers, I was checking it out last night, great insights man, I plan to dig in deeper on this. Thanks for turning me onto it.

I realize I have been doing way too much romanticizing and letting my thoughts go where they choose. I resolve to harden back up and get back on the solid path. Way too dangerous to let the mind stray and to forget why I am here.

I have a Fourth of July break ahead and an old party buddy is staying for a few days. My mind was going back to the old days and thinking what's the harm in another wild weekend for old times sake. Are you freakin kidding me??? I was actually worried about feeling like a boring old fart. Anyway, I am ready to deal with it and will just post my ass off with you guys!

Have a fantastic day kids!

"It's not how hard you can hit, it's how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward." Balboa
Old 06-14-2016, 04:57 AM
  # 237 (permalink)  

Good recognition Determined.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:00 PM
  # 238 (permalink)  

Determined you are such an inspiration and are so insightful, independence day is exactly that, be liberated from the av ghosts my friend, you totally got this, and we are here to remind you! Xx

Hey hobbers! Awesome to see you! Well done my love, you sound like you're in a good place now, that's great! Keep going xxx

I just got my 2 stone off award at slimming group so am feeling sky high right now! Woooooohoooooooo!
Old 06-14-2016, 05:37 PM
  # 239 (permalink)  

Thanks pink and ultra!

Congrats on the dieting pink!! Well done friend! Strut it girl!!!
Old 06-14-2016, 06:44 PM
  # 240 (permalink)  

More family fun.

My wife was talking with my 12 year old and me about a kids party- where a neighbor came over with a six-pack.

My son looked confused and said, "Wait, the guy just came over and took off his shirt?"

Clearly the definition of a six-pack has evolved in my house.