SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of August 2014 Part 22 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/387332-class-august-2014-part-22-a.html)

Ultramarathoner 05-31-2016 01:31 PM

Hey Team!

My daughter reached for my drink the other day. I had a mouth full of food and vehemently shook my head and grabbed the drink. The drink was Tailwind- my running fuel. I had a little since I was feeling very tired. In the past- I'd have to grab the drink to make sure she didn't grab a drink with alcohol in it.

I'm seeing an Orthopedic doctor later this week. My ankle is still bothering me and I'm contemplating surgery. Last time I saw him I had the option of physical therapy or surgery. I deferred the decision b/c my ankle was feeling really good. I plan to run for many years- so I'd like to get my ankle cleaned up to do so. We'll see.

Lets have a great week!

determined99 05-31-2016 05:52 PM

Spot on pink!

Sorry about the ankle ultra, I have no doubt you will push through.

determined99 06-01-2016 02:54 AM

Good morning gang!

Week is going well so far, just getting into the groove after the break. Off to the gym.

"It is no use walking anywhere to preach unless our walking is our preaching." St. Francis

ScooterBoo 06-01-2016 08:19 AM

Greetings!

We sailed home late yesterday - I am hoping it was the break I needed.

Pink, I agree we will have to be more vigilant without Dee here.

Choobie, I could have Doritos here forever, but the peanut m&m's would only last as long as it took for me to chomp them all down. I have had vodka, rum, red wine and white wine in my home the entire time of sobriety - I also had it while drinking, but would leave home and drive drunk to get more white zin or Miller Lite before I would touch any of those - weird, huh?

London, good to hear from you.

Determined, how is the zip line?

Ultra, are you going to Boston for your ankle? My friend Bob had very successful surgery at New England Baptist.

Grateful, how are you? Dry?

Take care, my friends!

determined99 06-01-2016 10:05 AM

Hey scooter! Zip line is fast as hell, a little too much actually!! I am requiring helmets!

determined99 06-02-2016 02:52 AM

Good morning team!

Not much new here, just wishing everyone a fabulous day!

"Life shrinks and expands in proportion to ones courage." Anais nin.

determined99 06-03-2016 02:58 AM

Happy Friday! Woo!!! Yes!!!

pinklinzangel 06-03-2016 02:03 PM

I echo Determind. Friday! Woooooooooohooooooooo!

What's everyone up to? I'm visiting our local farm tomorrow for open farm weekend then sailing on Sunday .

Much love xx

Ultramarathoner 06-04-2016 07:43 AM

So- no surgery (for now). Ortho said it was a sprain and wants physical therapy befor any surgery. The surgeon is Yale affiliated Scooter.

After a 2 week layoff I ran 15 today. I was definitely in the "pain cave" around mile 11 but finished the run. It's part of building confidence that I can run through challenges.

pinklinzangel 06-04-2016 03:44 PM

Well done on the run ultra but please take care! X

determined99 06-05-2016 05:23 AM

Happy sober Sunday gang!

It has been a baseball, karate, birthday party, basically a kid event weekend so far. Good stuff, but sometimes you want to escape in your mind, so I admittedly thought about a beer several times. Let it pass, but was tough at times. Then, I got to bed and thanked God I did not go there. Do you guys still have days like this?

Hope you get better ultra, injuries are challenging physically and mentally. Good work pushing through.

You sound great pink, I love it! Sail on sister!

"Act, and God will act." Joan of arc

ScooterBoo 06-06-2016 03:42 AM

Greetings!

Determined, I still have times - especially if I am hungry or thirsty - where I crave a beer. I went to a 75th birthday party and two graduation parties this past weekend, and I was fine - because I ate everything in sight. My av never bothers me when I am full. I think all the years of trying to diet off drinking bloat lead to a vicious cycle of drinking because hungry, dieting, drinking because hungry....and the beat went on! Now I am down 25, I was down 30, gained EIGHT this past winter, and have taken off three of those by upping the exercise.

Ultra, be careful with that ankle. You might want to baby it for a while.

Pink, how do you like sailing? It is one of my favorite things to do.

Hello to everyone else.....let us know how you are doing. I am going to the Y to swim, then I am going to the library to read shelves then I might sit on the beach to read, depending on the weather. I do not like the book for book club - SweetBitter- but, I am going to finish it.

Let's keep on keeping on.

pinklinzangel 06-06-2016 08:51 AM

I have days like that too. Sun is shining, every pub garden I drive past is full. Facebook news feed full of pictures of drinks in the sun. Some days I feel that my body aches for it! Will it ever leave? Hope so. Well done on getting through Determind xxx

Scooter i love it but it's hard work! And I have brushes all over my ankles from leaning out, and one on my head from the boom! And my trainers smell of Lake all the Time! But it's also exhilarating!

I'm sat in the garden with a coffee and reading a book called the hunt by tj lebbon. I like it! I have a bottle of shloer in the fridge for later on, and will wake up tomorrow feeling fresh and ready for work. That's how this works kids, we are healthier and we are happier, and every day is a win.

Ultra how's the ankle?

London, the sun is finally Here! How are you? You're quite, hope you're ok my love xxx

Hope everyone is doing good and enjoying life,

Keep going guys!

Much love!

Ultramarathoner 06-07-2016 05:19 PM

Ankle is good all. I'm behind on my training but things will be fine.

On other news, I put on a bathing suit and took a shower with my 5 year old girl. I usually bath her from outside the tub but went "all in" the other day.

My wife and I had some small shampoo, lotion, and conditioner left from a trip. One bottle was called "Nourishing Lavander Milk". I liberally used it on my daughters hair, finished the shower, and put her to bed.

The next morning my wife commented on how greasy my daughter's hair looked. Apparently, the "Nourishing" part of the product name refers to its intent as body lotion, not hair conditioner.

I then told my wife that since it didn't seem to be doing a good job anyway- I used the normal conditioner following the lotion debacle. Apparently, this action compounded the error by sealing in the lotion.

My wife told the school teachers that morning since she felt the need to explain the condition of your daughter's hair.

Now, had I still been drinking I'd have an excuse for using hand and body lotion to condition my daughters hair. . . But it wouldn't have been nearly as comical.

determined99 06-07-2016 05:52 PM

Dude that's pretty damn hilarious!

pinklinzangel 06-08-2016 01:06 AM

Oh ultra this tickled Me!

How is EVERYONE? The sun is shining here in blighty and I am sitting in the garden working on my dissertation.

Hope you all have a food day be good to see some check ins this week guys, you are all missed!
Question to you all........
What's your favourite thing abiut Summer?

Mine is longer days, the sounds of nature, feeling a summer breeze on my bare shoulders, the garden blooming into life and more smiles around us in daily life!

Have a great day all xxx

ScooterBoo 06-08-2016 03:49 AM

Greetings!

That is funny, Ultra. Your wife was smart to tell the teachers. My sister is a school principal, and she says it is amazing how teachers-adults in general - let things slide for fathers. She tells great stories like that - one mother was in the hospital having twins, and the father came to school after lunch to get the first grader, and had the three-year-old in pj's with him - he told the secretary the kid wouldn't get dressed - and all the adults thought it was hysterical. But,if a mother had come in and said that, they would have filled out a Chins - "child in need of services!"

Pink, my favorite part of summer is swimming in the ocean or just jumping the waves - I have never gotten tired of that! I like sitting/reading/napping on the beach, too, and going to Red Sox games.

Determined, do you have another crazy weekend? I have a retirement party on Friday, a steak cook-out fundraiser in Newport on Saturday, and TWO graduation parties on Sunday.

Hello to everyone - please let us know how you are!

Let's keep on keeping on!

pinklinzangel 06-08-2016 11:46 AM

Scooter your weekend is going to be busy but fantastic! What a great selection of activities! Xx

Choobie 06-08-2016 06:07 PM

Checking in! Falling behind in school with a new job-got worn out and have had two infections this month. 10 months to go! There is an end.

Determined, I still crave a beer now and then, and it does stick with me for a few hours. I find that if I have even a small thought of alcohol in a positive light, it gets harder in the next weeks. But I'm used to the feeling, and I'm no longer scared by it. I usually eat and drink something and remind myself that beer belongs in the magazine version of my life, where everything seems perfect. I'm quite sure that trying to live up to that ideal has caused me much misery over a lifetime. Being my imperfect self feels a lot better, and leaves me capable of giving a lot more, too. Now, when I think of a drink, I also think of that magazine-like perfection and how I'm almost comfortable in my own skin these days. Almost.

Ultra, that is hilarious. I will note that conditioner actually seals in lotion should I ever make this mistake! I usually mix up face soap with shampoo. I hate to say I do this a couple of times a year!

Scooter, when is your book club, and how has it been going? I haven't been reading lately, but I haven't been sleeping lately and am now hooked on creepy podcasts in the middle of the night.

Pink, I love the things that you love about summer! I also love how beautiful just driving down the road can be, how relaxed everyone is, and all of the summer celebrations.

Missed everyone-love to you all!

determined99 06-09-2016 02:53 AM

Happy Thursday!

Hey there pink, scooter and choobie! Great posts.

My favorite summer things are early mornings, the sights sounds and smells.

Thanks for the thoughts on cravings guys. Helps.

Gotta run, weekend is a punk concert festival thing. Like 20 punk bands outdoors. All ages so my little man gets to come!

"Normal is not something to aspire to, it is something to get away from." Jodi foster