Notices

Class of March 2016 Support Thread Part 4

Old 03-23-2016, 04:23 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Reality...what a concept!

Originally Posted by Mia1972 View Post
I want to be able to drink like other people and enjoy the tipsiness etc...
This has also bugged me, and I've tried moderation, but even though I set out to have only one or two, the switch gets thrown and the need to drink excessively takes control. Next I am waking up after a blackout, shaking, sweating and in pain.

It helps to think about how much regret you had after your last catastrophic drinking experience when you are considering taking that one drink. It does effect your brain by reducing your sense of reason and control.

One of the best quotes from SR:
You might regret drinking, but you will never regret not drinking!
Old 03-23-2016, 04:52 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Janeeb

I guess I was lucky in a way that I drank way p[ast the point where drinkin g was any kind of enjoyment anymore...but the thing is...sobriety is so much more enjoyable

If it doesn't seem that way to you then you haven't gotten to the good parts yet

Change takes time,. but it's worth the weight

D
Old 03-23-2016, 05:01 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Janeeb good to hear . I don't know what day two will be like for us but we're here and fighting . Keep strong
Old 03-23-2016, 05:05 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Day 11 for me! I have been away from here due to being so incredibly busy but not because I have fallen off the wagon!! How is everyone doing? Hopefully staying strong and sober! I have a long weekend coming up and surprisingly not much going on, so I will have ample time to get caught up here. I just wanted to pop in and let you all know I'm still sober.

Have a great and sober day!
Old 03-23-2016, 05:09 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Vinificent View Post
This has also bugged me, and I've tried moderation, but even though I set out to have only one or two, the switch gets thrown and the need to drink excessively takes control. Next I am waking up after a blackout, shaking, sweating and in pain.

It helps to think about how much regret you had after your last catastrophic drinking experience when you are considering taking that one drink. It does effect your brain by reducing your sense of reason and control.

One of the best quotes from SR:
You might regret drinking, but you will never regret not drinking!
So true. I feel like a victim of a crime because honestly it is never my intent to get drunk, I just want to socialize and have fun. Next thing you know, you're waking up, feeling horrible, and trying to figure out what happened. Yuck, horrible, horrible feeling. How many times do we have to go through it before we realize we simply cannot drink in moderation? For me it's probably been hundreds of times but I'm fighting for my last time to be THE last time. I don't ever want to feel that way again!
Old 03-23-2016, 05:19 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Sober date: 20th May 2023

Originally Posted by Vinificent View Post
HUGS to all of you back here on day 1...we've all been there - many of us more than once - and know what you are going through. One day at a time - do whatever you need to do to make yourself comfortable (except drinking of course).
YOU CAN DO THIS!
I second that!! xxx
Old 03-23-2016, 05:31 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Good morning Marchers!
Day 4 today My sleep is still a long way off from normal. I stay up late and wake up multiple times through the night. I slept off and on from 1am till about 4:30am, then from 5-8 I got good sleep. But even with that, I feel rested this morning. I woke up with enough time to put my cloths in the dryer and post on SR before work. Much better then making a mad dash to get to work by the skin of my teeth.
Today is my last work day of the week, then I have 4 days off!!
Hope everyone has a great day
Old 03-23-2016, 05:53 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Good morning!

Day 2 and hoping for a better day and night. The first week is always the worst My husband is having a bad week at work and has been working late hours (he works from home). Last night he couldn't even eat dinner and didn't come to bed until after midnight. This is a huge trigger for me so I think tonight I am going to take my girls and go hang out at my Mom's house. I just don't trust my AV right now and if I get out of the house I know I will be ok.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day. Check in here if you are struggling or need support - I know I will.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:05 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Tumbleweedgirl - please come back tomorrow sweetheart. It doesn't matter what stage you are at.....we help each other in this class. Please, please stay with us drunk or not you are always welcome here.
Kiki - you are awesome.
Dee - you are awesome too.
You know what...we're all awesome!
Mia darling alcoholics can't enjoy being tipsy. Eventually it always ends in disaster. I know it sucks big time. Please stay with us. 2 years is an awesome achievement....if you did it once you can do it again and help others along the way. (Hope I haven't overstepped the line). I had 7 years under my belt 10 years ago and I spent the last 10 years trying to convince myself I could control my drinking. I am now on Day 8. We never stop being an alcoholic but we can choose recovery over alcoholism. That's the difference.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:06 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Good morning all

Ladybug, It think that sounds like a great plan. Sometimes just getting out and changing your routine makes all the difference. Good for you for noticing your triggers.

My allergies are still really bothering me. And last night I really had a hard time sleeping, which is so odd for me. Usually sleep is only a problem for me when I'm drinking. I'm sure its all a result of the poison and it will even out soon.

Woke up this morning so incredibly grateful to be clearheaded and to feel healthy and alive. I know for a fact that I tend to minimize just how awful I feel after I drink, I tell myself I'm not really hungover, just not 100%. It takes feeling good again to realize just how awful I really did feel, I just didn't want to admit it. It's all part of the addiction I guess.

I have a nice day planned - I'm going to go out and walk the dogs and jog, then my girls are having friends over so I can listen to the four of them giggle while I get some things crossed off my spring break to do list

Happy to be sober and here with all of you ....
Old 03-23-2016, 06:18 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Up way too early (for me) to start day 11. Since I work evenings, I usually sleep in until 9:30 or so every morning so it chaps my hide a little to have to be up before eight to get ready for a work meeting that is useless anyways. It's part of a promotion I took a couple of months ago that I didn't want to take in the first place and mainly takes just place just so management can feel some power for a moment. Oh well, I'll just drink my coffee and stay silent for 30 minutes so I can get back home and get my day off really started.

Going to try and do some spring cleaning today. Lot of little details at my house have been neglected for a while and it's time to take care of them.

Great job on day three, ItsJustMe89. There's an old saying about resentments involving letting someone else live rent free in your head. I think it's important in recovery that we learn how little control we have over others and how we can only control how we react to others and not how they react to ourselves. Hope you'll vent in here about those issues as much as you need to, much as I did in my stupid little work rant above, instead of letting it build up inside you. Hope you hang around us a lot on those upcoming four days off!

Great job on 17 days, PeacefulRain. So glad you checked in.

Hope your Wednesday went well, immri. Feels weird to tell you good night just as I'm waking up! But then again, us Texans have a tendency to think the whole world revolves around our little corner.

Not sure exactly where you're located, but I know that far west Canada is absolutely beautiful, Lance40 If I won the lottery I could see myself living somewhere on this side of the border in the Pacific Northwest.

I was always way too ashamed to look in on these boards when I was drunk, ArgentOfSilvae, and tended to save my lurking for hangover days instead, but I like the idea of us setting a day to day example for those folks who silently out there observing us. By the way, your username just officially got added to my computer's spell check dictionary. No more red underlining for you every time I type it!

I hadn't thought to look until I read your post, but it looks like my hands aren't shaking this morning, Stiltskin. Congrats on day 5!

Crying is OK, Fabela. Our emotions can be all over the place early on and it's good to get it out sometimes. Day 8 is awesome, so proud of you for getting through those urges yesterday successfully.

Thanks for checking in on us from February 16, Cococo. The forward momentum of your class is a great example to all of us of the power of the fellowship here. If any of my fellow Marchers haven't done so yet, I suggest you go take a look at the February 16 class on the Daily Support board here. They're still moving just as fast as this class is and are so supportive of each other.

Great to see you join us, SilentCinemaFan. We were members of the May 2015 class together last year. That's awesome news about graduate school. Glad you're back on the path of recovery with us.

Don't get stressed out about not "keeping up," JustQuit2016. You're sober, you checked in, you're doing great! Read and respond when you can, the sobriety is the important part of the equation. Maybe you can start trying to go to bed earlier five or ten minutes at a time. Maybe some sleepytime tea will help as well. Some people like melatonin supplements as well.

You are going to be in my thoughts all day today, Kwhite. Please let us know how your honest conversation with your doctors go. I think this is an amazingly brave step you're taking. Go get 'em! And remember you can't control if others call you back or not re: those applications. Just know if you keep putting them out there in the world that eventually someone will.

Netflix is a great tool for early recovery, janeeb. Congrats on doing the right thing and staying sober.

That line about never regretting not drinking is absolutely amazing, isn't it, Vinifcent? Hope you have a wonderful day!

So glad you checked in, azure808. How's it going?

Day 11 for you and me both, kgirl41. Thank you for checking in!

Good to see you too, Mish. You're probably in bed by now but hope all is well.

I like your plan of going to your mom's house tonight, Ladybug2. That's good planning for your sobriety.

Have a great day, forabetterlife. Remember we're here if those stupid urges hit.

I gotta get moving. Sorry if I missed anyone. Remember you don't have to take that first drink today no matter what!
Old 03-23-2016, 06:27 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Just checking in for a bit. I really have to work today. I will check back in at lunchtime.

Welcome newcomers.

All of you on the 2nd day, good job. That always seemed so hard to get to.

So proud of all of you that struggled through yesterday and came out on top! Way to go!!

Sending good vibes to you all. Sober on my March Class!
Old 03-23-2016, 06:29 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by forabetterlife View Post

Woke up this morning so incredibly grateful to be clearheaded and to feel healthy and alive. I know for a fact that I tend to minimize just how awful I feel after I drink, I tell myself I'm not really hungover, just not 100%. It takes feeling good again to realize just how awful I really did feel, I just didn't want to admit it. It's all part of the addiction I guess.
I was the exact same way! I would tell myself I could drink a certain amount and not be hungover. Then the next day I would try and convince myself that I felt fine. Let's just say yesterday (on my Day 1)I thought I felt fine, but today I feel 10x better! It's scary how deceptive this addiction is.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:34 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Is distraction the key in early days then??? Netflix worked last night but atm I feel like I don't know what to do if I'm not drinking wine and passing out after work, after 12 years of this how do I fill my time !!!???

And as of yet how much better can I feel?? Like learning to live again for me it all feels very strange atm ... But I am determined !!!!
Old 03-23-2016, 06:35 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Morning everyone, just checking in on day 4 to welcome our new members & say hi! :-)

It sounds like everyone is staying strong & hanging in there! I like what Dee said about getting to the "good parts" of sobriety. I can't wait!

Hang in there and don't drink for the next 24 hours! We can do this!!!

Extremely busy day ahead so I will check in later.

Here is our updated March Class List: :-) WELCOME George, Mia, Tumbleweed, Jacks & SilentCinemaFan!!!

Together we are stronger! :-)

Theresa1234
Mish
Aiko
Meraviglioso
Jobei
Jade1224
GardenGa
OldSkoolFool
Tobo
Forte
Canguy
KiKi
Todayiwin
LostLilly
Applekat
sobersolstice
Neverthought
Cococo
Spazkat
nmd
Keets
Kirky
Evienne
Humbug68
JarredMud
TheReacher
KateAZ
CharlesG
Layali
tnek97
Jeff04
Sobersjg
suavebum
Mrskw
DariaM
Missy7
KyloTiel
gummiriot
DeniseLarkin
ColoradoMan
Drangleic
ThisMachineQuit
duderwit
purplrks3647
ManinTheArena
FacingFuture
5upersonic
beerbgone
PamperingMe
jbmetzger
PeacefulRain
bblackbirdflyy
1stepup
ijustwantaname
Siesta
GoingNowhere
turfwars
Forabetterlife
lein
Chinaski
elizke
Bobbieka
Surrender2win
Magnetic
ralatty
Horatio48
jtmlk
BayAreaBob
Rah555
Sumi
Alaska290
whatalaska
snowwhitequeen
Jimuk
kgirl41
ChickChick
Max74
CaseyW
Vinificent
ItsJustMe89
MichaelAtl77
ArgentOfSilvae
Kwhite
JustQuit2016
BeanieBaby
Sillyboy
clearlyheaded
Pelagic263
immri
Ladybug
Fabela
Karma40
StartingOverNW
Zumboat
Retep
Angie247
Lance40
NotLuke
CheckMyself
Stiltskin
hosea57
Atwitsend123
Renew12
azure808
ForMeForThem
Jemma44
Janeeb
George89
Mia1972
tumbleweedgirl
Jacks123
SilentCinemaFan
Old 03-23-2016, 06:43 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Yes Kiki....together we ARE stronger xxx
Old 03-23-2016, 07:20 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  
South Asian

Hello friends. Still on the wagon. This Friday is going to be a huge temptation. I will be out of town. I will have access to liquor. I know my mind will start saying have a few beers. Saturday, I will drink again in the afternoon and at night. Then spend Sunday recovering at home. I know I need to stop before I have that first sip of beer. It's strange, how a single sip just pushes you over the edge and causes all rational thinking to go out of the window. Even though it has no real intoxicating impact. I suppose the craving is based on seeking the feeling of intoxication which starts to kick in after the first can is finished. My mind tends to misbehave in this mode. I start romanticising liquor and intoxication. I listen to music, watch some scenes from my favourite movies, read some poetry or fiction, look at some great art. I love doing this when I am mildly drunk.

I need to plan. Let me try to make a plan.

Hope everyone is having a good week.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:35 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

I think you all are posting faster than I can read them--and that's a great thing! The positive vibes are infectious and I continue to thank all of you.

My sleep is still a mess, but I've decided I don't care right now. It was a mess when I was drinking too. I tried melatonin but it seems mighty unpredictable. One night it works, the next it doesn't, and last night it didn't do a thing. I told my wife I think this bottle of melatonin is like 50% placebos or something. But as I said, bigger things to worry about. Like living a good and sober day.

As for "drinking like a normal person" I think I have finally watched that dream ship sail into the sunset. Bon voyage, and good riddance. Let's hope it doesn't come sailing back some day. I think it flies the Jolly Roger anyway.

Day 8 and feeling good. I'm concentrating on nutrition, work, activity, attitude, and checking in with you all.

Next up: exercise. I've been walking a few miles when I can, but I want to get out my spinning bike. My wife has made fun of me for years since I bought this monstrosity and never really used it. I aim to show her what's what. Not to worry; I know to start slow. Hard to believe I used to race bicycles competitively. She's a runner and I want to run a half marathon with her this year. But if you saw me run you'd say, hey, dude, stick with the bike. That ain't pretty. Lol.

Stay strong friends, no matter where you are in recovery. And if that gets hard stay close and post it out. We're all with you in this.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:40 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Home from that meeting. Just as boring and pointless as I thought it'd be. Oh well, it's done and I don't have to think about it again until the next one in two weeks.

First, I just reread my long post from this morning and you can tell I was still half-asleep. Sorry about the awful incoherent sentence structure and choice of words in parts of it.

Originally Posted by janeeb View Post
Is distraction the key in early days then??? Netflix worked last night but atm I feel like I don't know what to do if I'm not drinking wine and passing out after work, after 12 years of this how do I fill my time !!!??? !
Personally, I don't think I use distraction as a tool in my recovery, at least not in the way you mean it. I like to think I am hyper-focused on my recovery. My key has been getting out of my own head by focusing on others here. But there's no one right way to do this. For some people, I'm sure distraction is a powerful tool. Here's a cool thread on things to do sober:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ething-do.html

Thanks for updating the class list, KiKi0615. Have a great and sober day!

Horatio48, it's good that you are planning now for your weekend out of town. One thing that always helps me if I'm around others drinking is to always have a non-alcoholic drink in my hand or on the table in front of me. It helps keep booze from being a viable option. Give yourself permission to immediately leave any tempting situations that arise. Your recovery comes first. And remember we're here 24/7. Don't be afraid to post here once a minute if that's what it takes to keep from taking that first drink. We're here for you just like you're here for us.

Couldn't agree more about the "drinking like a normal person" ship having sailed, Pelagic263. The mere fact that I searched the web for a site focused on drinking tells me I can't be a normal drinker. And melatonin never worked for me, but I sometimes suggest it to others just because I know it has helped some. Good on you for getting back into shape. Have a great day 8!
Old 03-23-2016, 08:25 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Day 24 and I'm having cravings like the earlier days. Hubby goes out of town for tonight and it's just me and kiddos...baby teething and stuffed up so I already know I will sleep like crap anyway. Really want a bottle of wine for a screw it night. Wah wah poor me. Sorry for the downer post. Just be sure to stay vigilant - AV grasps onto anything. So, I'm posting. Need to drive past the wine store on my way home and keep on driving. Next I need to come up with an evening plan.