Notices

Class of February 2016 Part 8

Old 03-10-2016, 05:52 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  
Nature Lover & Plantoholic

Originally Posted by Badger07 View Post
No problem GG. This is hard. The quit can really twist emotional responses - at least for me. I want to rip the face off of some inanimate object at least 28.5 times a day. Embrace the Suck!
It truly DOES suck! Must I really embrace it? I'd rather rip the face off of it.
Old 03-10-2016, 05:59 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Karen - I'm so sorry to hear you are going through this. It's important that today you begin again. I noticed that you use the word "try". In the words of Yoda, "Do. Or do not. There is no try". Tell yourself that you are going to do it instead of you are going to try to do it. Just my 2 cents. (((hug)))
Old 03-10-2016, 06:05 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=safeandsound;5843646]
And who is the twisted sadist who came up with "jeggings," I'd like to know?! At least in Canada, they are uncannily like sausage casings. I tried some on today, and let's just say it was not a pretty sight.

More recently, I started playing the drums, which I really enjoyed because 1) I picked it up right away and 2) H plays bass, and we could play together as well as with a few of our friends. But after the initial excitement, I felt I wasn't getting good enough fast enough, and stopped practicing. Damn perfectionism! Maybe "sober me" can be more patient with myself.

Anyway, I'm finally allowing myself to think of a future in which I don't drink but find tons of other things that are more fulfilling.
Old 03-10-2016, 06:18 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delizadee View Post
Helps me to hear your guys positivity. I'm really struggling with depression now. I miss my kids so much it hurts physically. I had a dream last night. Clear as day. My daughter had suddenly decided to come back to me. It was very happy. I'll take that for now. I know I'm on the right path.
Nice Delizadee. Rooting for you
Old 03-10-2016, 06:24 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GardenGal View Post
Oh my GOD this group is so awesome. Still catching up on posts. But while I do, I just wanted to say that I cannot believe OldTomato is 20 years old! Given her 'name', and her breadth of experience, I'd figured she was a UK granny! I went to my 4th AA meeting yesterday. 2 very nice ladies invited me out to lunch. The [very young!] waiter overheard us, and asked if we knew Bill W. It's a crazy, small world, innit?
4th AA meeting for me today too! Although I attended SMART Recovery meetings before that. I still like SMART too, I'm getting something out of both programs.
Old 03-10-2016, 06:26 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Hello All. Day 36. I am having trouble focusing some times. Its like I have attention deficit disorder. Anyone experiencing this?
Yes definitely. Some days worse than others. But this should improve with time I think...
Old 03-10-2016, 06:37 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  

It truly DOES suck! Must I really embrace it? I'd rather rip the face off of it.
Exactly! Embrace it like a wrestler and rip it's face off. I say embrace the suck to remind myself it will be around for a little while. If I embrace it (restrict or confine) I am less likely to drink. I fear having to come to this thread and tell you that I got drunk. That would really suck.
Old 03-10-2016, 06:39 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  
Administrator

two words safeandsound. Meg White. Or even Ringo Starr.
Good doesn't always mean flashy

D
Old 03-10-2016, 06:47 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  

WTF?? "cute"?? Sorry, but alcoholism and depression ain't cute.
GG, the movie isn't about alcoholism and depression. It's a cute family oriented road comedy with Jeff Daniels.
Old 03-10-2016, 06:49 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
Karen - I'm so sorry to hear you are going through this. It's important that today you begin again. I noticed that you use the word "try". In the words of Yoda, "Do. Or do not. There is no try". Tell yourself that you are going to do it instead of you are going to try to do it. Just my 2 cents. (((hug)))
Auggie, you unleashed your Yoda fu on me when I'd been here about two days.
Old 03-10-2016, 06:50 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  

I believe the reference cute is in regards to the movie. Surely OOTT does not think alcoholism and depression are cute.
Yeah, GG misread my sentence. The movie RV is NOT about depression and alcoholism. I was speculating that Robin Williams was depressed during the filming of the movie, which is not cute or funny.
Old 03-10-2016, 06:52 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by safeandsound View Post
Karen, don't worry about it. This is the place to dump stuff! (OK ,that didn't sound too good . . .)

Badger, I'm also having a really hard time concentrating. It's like my memory has disappeared, and I got sober 6 weeks ago! (relapsed briefly Feb 23).
I think we can find some solace as it does not appear to be uncommon.
Old 03-10-2016, 06:53 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Applekat View Post
Poor OOTT!

Optimist sorry about the cancer, glad you're still here! Keep on keepin' on!

For anyone getting complacent here's a story from my hometown, across the street neighbor - he is dying tonight or tomorrow most likely - due to cirrhosis. He has three boys. He's 45 years old.
I know, right? I had a great day at work and then I get here and GG's busting my balls.
Old 03-10-2016, 07:13 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Outonthetiles View Post
I know, right? I had a great day at work and then I get here and GG's busting my balls.
I'm really sorry! OMG, I've lived for decades feeling like I never busted any balls. Always a first for everything, right? LOL *hugs*
Old 03-10-2016, 07:33 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  

OK, I'm going to rent "RV" tonight. Based on my Goo search, it looks like my 11 year old can handle it.

I sent my 1st SR PM tonight, to OOTT. I'm sorry for being such an idiot.

Yep, this sure is a tough battle. My boys are out at the moment, and I thought about buying wine, but I'm going to make some tea, instead.

And I believe it was Badger who said 'this feels like ADD' -- welcome to my world, brutha! I actually have that [plus the H], and alcohol was a way to numb it.
Old 03-10-2016, 07:40 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Hey Guys and wow!!! Took me ages to catch up with all of your posts!!! So glad that everyone seems to be doing well.

Well I went to bed about ten n woke at 3am yet again! That's even with sleeping tablets!

Its my daughter's wedding tomoz n she came to see me last night to borrow some glue for the table decors. I thought it kind of odd that she would come all this way just for glue. Well she also had something she needed to tell me!

My exAH got married for the third time two years ago and she was too scared to tell me thinking I would get upset! I couldn't give two hoots about what he does with his life. As far as Im concerned he is just the father of my kids. I will meet her tonight but Ive heard shes lovely. Anyway, I shan;t be spending the wedding with any of my ex inlaws will I! Ive got my own side of the family to be with. I shall just say hello and that will be it.

Day 25 for me peeps and still going strong! Don't forget you are all coming with me to the wedding! Just in case I need some moral support.

God bless xxx
Old 03-10-2016, 07:45 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Have fun tomorrow, spadge!! Your daughter's wedding is a huge, important day. I bet she's really proud of you for doing it sober.
Old 03-10-2016, 07:46 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have a lovely day tomorrow Spadge

D
Old 03-10-2016, 08:19 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Have fun at the wedding my sober twin

Thanks everyone for your kind words today.
It's been ages since I felt so solid in my sobriety. I started reading "Beyond the Influence" this week and it really solidified for me the fact that I can never, ever safely consume alcohol again.
Almost every passage I read conjured up old memories of the different levels of alcoholism I had reached. When I went back, twice, to drinking after sobering up, the last two times are a SOLID example of how our bodies change due to the alcohol. Within a couple days, each time, I would go from a couple drinks to daily round the clock drinking, reverse tolerance, withdrawing while being drunk, detoxing worse each time... And like you guys were talking about earlier, planning my EVERYTHING around drinking. Not being drunk when I went out or around other people. Making sure I had money or booze to keep myself out of withdrawals. Etc.
Frack!
I am so grateful to be sober, and grateful for you guys.

Dee, I have a whole medical team at my disposal. Kind of. lol. I've been on many different meds for it. But I react so strongly to most anti-depressants that I chose to remove myself from this last course... well, that's not even true. Broke, jobless, my scrip had run out so I figured I'd try sobriety without meds this time around. I am doing as much aa and therapy as I can fit in in the mean time and deal with my MANY legal issues without the added fog of a new med. I'm handling it. In time I may get to a point where me & the psych find a good fit for meds. Me, with starting meds in new sobriety has a tendency to say "f it" and pick up the bottle VERY easily. This is something I've learned in retrospect. This time around it's been much easier to look at my feelings and cravings with a clear head, and not relying on the magic pill to make it better. I am much more in control of myself.

My daughter said a lot of things about me to her dad regarding my drinking that were blatant lies. I am incredibly hurt. That is what the court order is based on. I did a lot of stupid, unsafe things when I was at my worst, that I am ok with facing. Not sure how to handle rebuilding the relationship with her in the future. She lied because she wanted to stay with her friends... not because she was worried about my drinking, not at first anyways.
It's a tough situation with months of ****** slogging it out. It is what it is. No medication, booze or anything else is going to fix this but time or honesty.
Old 03-10-2016, 09:27 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Hey Delizadee alcohol has a very similar effect on me. If I drink now I might be "ok" for a couple days, a week maybe, or maybe not? Maybe the next time I drink I'll do something terrible... hurt myself or others? Needless to say nothing good will come of it and I'll be physically and mentally ill very quickly, neglecting my child, job, friends and myself. For me it's like a form of masochism. I hurt myself by using alcohol... make myself sick... punish my soul. The strange thing is when im sober the thought of hurting myself appauls me. It's a damn hard thing to figure out. Bottom line is that no matter my struggle I'm a better man without the booze holding me down. I just can't continue rolling the dice by drinking and letting my apathy control me. No more. Hope you're doing alright tonight!