Marchia in Aeternum

Shiny new thread!
Old 03-04-2016, 07:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Lovely way to think of it, Trachy :-).
Old 03-04-2016, 01:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Marchers!

Marcher13, thanks for sending the sun up my way. We are cloudy and snowy today, but the days are getting longer. The combination of exercise, lots of outdoor activities, and antidepressant have worked well together as of late.

And also, Marcher13, thanks for the link to our very first thread (the link is in the Do Join an SR Class thread). Holy crow, I had forgotten just how much time I had spent hungover until I read some of my comments about going an entire week without a hangover – it was a major accomplishment for me. Rereading our first thread made me weepy and nostalgic (not for the first month of sobriety, but for the joy of getting to know you and the rest of the Marchers).

So in my weepy nostalgia, a big hug to Marcher13, Toots, We, Sassy, Ken, Trach, Babs, Duff, DD, and all Marchers past and present. I am so, so grateful and rereading our first thread reminded me of how much I owe each of you (and Dee)!

If anyone has updates on past Marchers, please post them – would love to hear how folks are doing.

BIG LOVE

Old 03-04-2016, 02:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Why can't I find that link? Someone gift me, please.
Old 03-04-2016, 03:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good morning Marchers from a sunny and blue Paradise. It's Saturday morning here and I must say I'm chuffed with myself, I did the grocery shopping at 8 this morning so that's off my list of to-do's for the weekend. And, let me tell you, that wouldn't have happened three years ago.

North I am so glad that you are feeling brighter! When Mr Marcher had anti-depressants twenty years ago his doctor explained that there is actually a chemical change in the brain with depression and that is why medication is used. A reluctant Mr M used them for about six months -- very successfully.

A commitment free weekend is ahead of me (other than the knitresses but they are fun not a commitment).

Have a good weekend everyone.
Old 03-04-2016, 03:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

For you Trachy my sweet. First March 2013 thread.
Old 03-04-2016, 03:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks, Marcher! I just read through the first 6 pages. I had forgotten that I joined on March 1 (page 2), North joined around page 5 and I posted right after he did :-)
Old 03-04-2016, 10:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Thanks! That was a fun read.
Old 03-04-2016, 11:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

It's wasn't until the third thread that I joined 16th March. I'm going to go back over it a bit read some posts when I get a chance.
Old 03-05-2016, 05:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm glad I went back to read those old posts and will probably go back for more when I have a chance :-)
Old 03-05-2016, 11:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I started to read the original thread but had to stop when I got to Josie's first post. I don't really want to read my early posts -- I recall being so whiny & self absorbed!!
Old 03-05-2016, 02:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by Duffster View Post
I don't really want to read my early posts -- I recall being so whiny & self absorbed!!
Weren't we all?

Originally Posted by Duffster View Post
I started to read the original thread but had to stop when I got to Josie's first post.
That was kind of an icepick to the heart, wasn't it?
Old 03-05-2016, 03:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

That was so very sad. It could have been any of us. She had so much life left to live. Dratted awful addiction!
Old 03-05-2016, 03:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
You were all spared me posting in very early sobriety. I was a complete basket case those first few weeks of rehab. Unrecognizable compared to my current state. I actually saved my intake photo so I could remind myself of how bad I was when I entered treatment. It was painful to look at but a good reminder of where I will end up if I pick up again. I finally tossed it when I moved last November. I'm not that person anymore.

I went back to the jeweler and the mockup looked great! The engagement ring will be finished by April 2nd. Now I just have to figure out a way to propose. I am taking suggestions. Only criteria are that 1) it has to be a private proposal - no grand public displays; and 2) it has a to be memorable enough that she has a story to tell.

We have our fancy vacation planned for the end of April but I don't think I can wait until then.
Old 03-05-2016, 03:54 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
I tried to convince Josie that for people like her and me, we need more than just posting on SR and the sporadic AA meeting. I needed to be locked up in inpatient. So did she.

I did my best so I'm at peace with it. I've lost many people in real life to relapse too. I just have to remind myself that I tried my best to help and not everyone can be saved. We have a saying in AA that makes me very uncomfortable because it's morbid, but also a bit true, "Some must die so that others can live."

Whehav - I read back through the last thread and I'm sorry you lost a sponsee. You can't take it personally. I've been fired too. I've had sponsees relapse. I've even been ghosted a few times. Other people's sobriety and chosen path to said sobriety is not my responsibility. I just have to be there to help when needed.

AA Responsibility Prayer:

I am Responsible.
When Anyone, Anywhere
Reaches Out For Help,
I Want The Hand Of A.A.
Always To Be There.

And For That,
I Am Responsible.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:39 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

I will always know that I could have done more for Josie, I walked away. That said, we all know that we can only help those who are ready to help themselves, Josie was on a path of self destruction that she couldn't see another route away from. Although I know I could have done more, I very much doubt that anything I could have said or done would have made a difference. I guess I will never know, and that is what I live with. I have lost people who were a bigger part of my life to this disease, who I carry a greater burden of guilt over.
Old 03-06-2016, 04:12 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

(((Toots))), although my belief is than we can beat this disease, it is harder for some than for others. That difficulty difference may be psychological but, as hard as it is to accept, some people can't get past it. No matter how hard we try, we can't get sober for someone else. We feel deeply for those we know who this happens to but I don't believe we should blame ourselves.
Old 03-06-2016, 06:37 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

(((Toots))) for all y'all did for me in the initial weeks to help me stop, I still relapsed. And nearly killed myself drinking. It wasn't until I decided to stop that I stopped. There was nothing anyone could do until I decided. Don't beat yourself up over others' decisions.