Notices

Class of February 2016 Support Thread Part 7

Old 03-04-2016, 11:34 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Taking it easy sounds like a good idea as well GG.
Old 03-04-2016, 11:36 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

JL - You're right, non-alcoholics do not get it AT ALL. I tried to explain to my dad about the AV and I'm pretty sure he thinks I'm insane.
Old 03-04-2016, 11:45 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Aw JL - did she know you used SR at least or nothing? (My hubs doesn't know yet). You ok? Just think - one more thing a little more out in the open. To me, that makes it easier, eventually.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:07 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GardenGal View Post
My Campral Rx is still not ready. I really wonder how long this is going to take. Apparently it's fairly new in the US.

My husband was going to join me today for an AA meeting, but I am SO sick with a cold, I worry about spreading germs. I guess we're just going to take it easy today.
Sorry GG! Maybe curl up with tea and a movie or book? Or a good Tv series to watch? Feel better!
Old 03-04-2016, 12:09 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

I've been pretty honest with a select few people that I feel the need to share.

That sucks about having your stuff invaded guys. I'm so sorry you are going through that. I've had my roommates go through my stuff including my computer and my personal space invaded in the basement many times. It's really frustrating and drives me nuts. I want to just yell, if you need something, want something or want to know something, JUST FRIGGEN ASK!!!
I know my roommate was not happy when I cleaned out my empties and assumed I was still drinking... proceeded to post passive aggressive things on facebook regarding addiction. I thought we were friends, whatever happened to talking about it face to face? :/ She even made a post about entitlement. I'm sure it was directed at me, and that one hurt. But I just try to shrug it off and let it go. I'm not in this to prove anything to anyone but myself. It is really getting difficult at times though to know my character is still being slandered even though I'm sober.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:11 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Applekat View Post
Sorry GG! Maybe curl up with tea and a movie or book? Or a good Tv series to watch? Feel better!
I hope you feel better soon, GG. Rest, aychtoo-oh, tea, and maybe hubby can make you some home made chicken soup?
Old 03-04-2016, 12:13 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Nature Lover & Plantoholic

Ddee, I'm not on FacePalm, Twitter, etc., and I was probably the last person in the world to buy an iPhone, ha. I get overwhelmed easily, and all that stuff would just make it worse, and probably be a trigger. Maybe take a break from the FB for a bit?

edit: and thanks for the get-well wishes!
Old 03-04-2016, 12:25 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Applekat View Post
Is anyone reading anything helpful recovery wise right now? I was thinking about opening up my library and re-reading Drinking: A Love Story.
Blackout: Remembering the Things I Drank to Forget by Sarah Hepola. I swear to God I have never underlined so many passages in a book before (I love this feature on kindle), and I read A LOT. Something is underlined every page, sometimes every paragraph, sometimes entire paragraphs! That just means I relate to her story--for me, blackouts happened often and were devastating to myself and others (well, I did funny stuff a few times, but that hardly makes up for the embarrassing or hurtful things I did most times).

She's a great writer--has written for the NYTimes magazine, Slate, the Guardian, and she edited Salon for a long time. I didn't know that when I started reading. I was just so impressed by the style that I had to look her up!

If you suffered from blackouts, I highly recommend it. I'm still early in the book because I keep pausing to underline and reflect.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:41 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

I didn't suffer many blackouts. That I can remember, haha. Often I found the more I drank the more I remembered. The less I drank the foggier I got. And when I mixed booze with pills I'd erase big chunks of sober and drinking memories.
My final big kaboom of a bender to end all benders I blacked out a few times. I was screaming at people to kill me, arrest me, take away my kids. Do not know how I made it back to my hotel room. Woke up covered in bruises. Very, very bad time.
I looked for Beyond the Influence at the library but they didn't have it at that branch, but I've been plodding thru Allan Carr's Easy Way to Stop Drinking and I picked up a book called Happy too. It's the memoir of a young man who suffers brain bleeds and spirals into alcohol and drug addiction and his mother helps him to heal.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:48 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Oh, and Ddee--Quicong is using slow, sustained movements along with breathing. It's most similar to Tai Chi. It isn't exercise. But going forces me to relax for the duration of the class at least!

Still learning new coping skills for stress since I never developed any. I do feel like a child sometimes. One who has tantrums, no less! Right now we're learning "grounding techniques," but they are so hard to put into practice when you're overwhelmed by emotion, especially anger, my favorite one. I go into rages quite easily. It's like I'm wearing a black mask and temporarily can't see when I get like that.

It's very hard to face emotions rather than convert them all into anger and use it as an excuse to drink. But I am done with that.

I'm American, but I already live in Canada, thank God. Ridiculous. Immoral. Embarrassing. That's all I will say
Old 03-04-2016, 12:49 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sadie1 View Post
Day 14. .still dealing with this drat sinus infection and other stuff. Blah. Reeling over spouse hacking into my email, but have to deal with it.

The picture of Yankee swinging noodles around his head like I had as a child made me LOL. I found out what a human Macaroni was from encyclopedia, when we had those.

After watching the debate shenanigans, with Trump making innuendos about his man parts, I am considering becoming an ex-pat. I love Vancouver but climbing over the wall Trump will build on that border to keep Americans IN might be difficult. There will be a mass exodus north. I love Sydney very very much but the Vegemite situation may be a hindrance. I also love London, but the cat quarantine sitch rules that out. Haven't been to NZ, really want to go though.

Any other suggestions welcome.

Feeling AV whispering for first time in 2 weeks but not giving in.
I'm looking at Belize or Costa Rica. I had the opportunity to check out Belize in January. I probably won't visit Costa Rica for another year or so. Blue waters and white sands, my friend.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:53 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by safeandsound View Post
Oh, and Ddee--Quicong is using slow, sustained movements along with breathing. It's most similar to Tai Chi. It isn't exercise. But going forces me to relax for the duration of the class at least!

Still learning new coping skills for stress since I never developed any. I do feel like a child sometimes. One who has tantrums, no less! Right now we're learning "grounding techniques," but they are so hard to put into practice when you're overwhelmed by emotion, especially anger, my favorite one. I go into rages quite easily. It's like I'm wearing a black mask and temporarily can't see when I get like that.

It's very hard to face emotions rather than convert them all into anger and use it as an excuse to drink. But I am done with that.

I'm American, but I already live in Canada, thank God. Ridiculous. Immoral. Embarrassing. That's all I will say.
I struggle with the anger too sns. Wherebouts in a Canada are you?
Old 03-04-2016, 12:57 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Garden Gal is not the last person to get an IPhone. I still use a flip phone and I refuse to text.
Old 03-04-2016, 01:19 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Hello everyone. I've completed Day 25 and I'm working on Day 26.

I apologize for being remiss about keeping up with posts; however, life has been keeping me busy, and that's a good thing. I see that most of us are staying strong. And to those who have slipped, I can relate. I've been there far too many times myself, but I refused to give, so please get back up and fight the good fight.

This weekend will be a bit of a challenge for me. I have to do an overnight, out-of-town trip tonight. It's work, but it only entails a few hours today and a few hours tomorrow, so I will have free time later tonight.

My plan is to go immediately back to my hotel room after I've completed my work and exercise, meditate and check back in with SR. I feel strong this time around, and at some point I have to make it over the "overnight trip" hurdle, so tonight is my night. However, a few good thoughts sent my way wouldn't hurt.

Here's to a nice sober weekend. Stay safe and stay strong everyone, and I'll check back in around midnight US EST.

Peace
Old 03-04-2016, 01:23 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

I had an iphone and I hated it. I switched from android and after a few months switched back. Now my phone is definitely a crutch for me. I don't actually facebook much at all. I have maybe 3 real friends on there and the rest are people I don't know and lots of liked pages. But netflix keeps me company and SR too. It helps me to feel less alone.
Old 03-04-2016, 01:33 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

I have a cheap phone that can just do the basic texting and calling people, don't need anything else.

Time2Rise - Stay strong this weekend, it's good that you have a plan in place. Keep us updated.
Old 03-04-2016, 01:48 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Hey guys! Some huge family drama just happened, got me shaking and headache and ugh. A thought or prayer will be greatly appreciated! I don't know if my anxiety just went through the roof or what.

I hope you are all fairing well today!
Old 03-04-2016, 01:50 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OldTomato View Post
I have a cheap phone that can just do the basic texting and calling people, don't need anything else.

Time2Rise - Stay strong this weekend, it's good that you have a plan in place. Keep us updated.
I was a flip phone person up until not long ago, now my phone is huge smart phone that I can pretty much rule the world from. So weird, I hate it most of the time but it is handy for business, and SR.
Old 03-04-2016, 01:53 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Time2Rise View Post
Hello everyone. I've completed Day 25 and I'm working on Day 26.

I apologize for being remiss about keeping up with posts; however, life has been keeping me busy, and that's a good thing. I see that most of us are staying strong. And to those who have slipped, I can relate. I've been there far too many times myself, but I refused to give, so please get back up and fight the good fight.

This weekend will be a bit of a challenge for me. I have to do an overnight, out-of-town trip tonight. It's work, but it only entails a few hours today and a few hours tomorrow, so I will have free time later tonight.

My plan is to go immediately back to my hotel room after I've completed my work and exercise, meditate and check back in with SR. I feel strong this time around, and at some point I have to make it over the "overnight trip" hurdle, so tonight is my night. However, a few good thoughts sent my way wouldn't hurt.

Here's to a nice sober weekend. Stay safe and stay strong everyone, and I'll check back in around midnight US EST.

Peace
We are both on 26!!! I've had two over night engagements since I became sober. Number one, I stayed far away from the bars. Two, went for a walk and bought coffee to distract me. And went early to my room. I know you can do it!
Old 03-04-2016, 01:53 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Hello febs
GG- I'm going to fill my second script for campral this morning. I hope there's no problem? Really hoping you can get your hands on some soon X
Sadie- come to Melbourne! Not quite as geographically beautiful as Sydney but definitely quirkier with an amazing culture.
Coco- I've been meaning to ask you, what type of dog is the beauty in your pic?
Optimist- I'm seriously enjoying sober weekends. Such a strange feeling to go from opening my first bottle of wine at 4pm Friday and basically drinking all the way through till I run out on Sunday night.

I have weighed myself and I've really only lost about 1 pound lol. I'm trying not to be too disappointed but I thought I might have
Lost a little bit more. I have been eating like an absolute pig though, I guess to reward myself for not drinking. I think I look better in the face but no one around me has noticed. Anyone else ?