Notices

Class of February 2016 Support Thread Part 7

Old 03-06-2016, 02:33 PM
  # 401 (permalink)  

Auggie, the EXACT SAME THING happened to me! He even snuck into my parents' basement to read older journals once he was done with the recent ones! Very sick relationship. I didn't write in a journal for 18 years after that.

Like you I now have someone I trust. Just wanted to share that I write every day in a journal now, and that has helped my recovery probably more than anything else. Go ahead! It's such a relief.
Old 03-06-2016, 02:35 PM
  # 402 (permalink)  

GG, tell your DH the rule is: blame the sound guy for everything. He's the guy in front of the control panel in the middle of the floor so drunken audience members can shout their opinions at him or her!
Old 03-06-2016, 02:40 PM
  # 403 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by safeandsound View Post
Auggie, the EXACT SAME THING happened to me! He even snuck into my parents' basement to read older journals once he was done with the recent ones! Very sick relationship. I didn't write in a journal for 18 years after that.

Like you I now have someone I trust. Just wanted to share that I write every day in a journal now, and that has helped my recovery probably more than anything else. Go ahead! It's such a relief.
Jealousy is a relationship killer. I've suffered from it, but never did anything wildly crazy. At least in my opinion. Even in my relationship now, early on there was the worst type of jealousy you can ever imagine. So bad that I went to counselling. I was drinking at the same time, so it was not all the productive. Ironically, my shrink--who had plenty of his own problems---was a huge drinker in college and I noticed loads of alcohol type books in his office, but at the time I didn't recognize my problem and I could never have revealed to him the stuff that I've revealed now. I was in denial and I was lying to myself. I could write a book.
Old 03-06-2016, 02:41 PM
  # 404 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by jobei View Post
Thanks beerbgone... my AV is loud and clear today... Apathy has set in full force reinforced by a wave of deep depression. I have no motivation to do anything... scared of triggers and this deep feeling of sadness. It just sucks
I think apathy is really often a lack of self care - we really have to push against that.

If push comes to shove, act like you matter even if you might not quite believe that today?

Originally Posted by knb02 View Post
What is this time above our avatars? Is that the time in the USA?
should be your local time (i.e. the time you posted that post). For you I assume thats Greenwich Mean Time?

If not there's instructions on how to set the right time for your timezone here

Originally Posted by knb02 View Post
OK now this is strange. When I read the posts from this page..this post wasn't on there. I swear on it. I returned to this page and now I see your post jobei

Dee what's going on?
if you take say 5 minutes to write a post you won't see the other new posts for the last 5 minutes unless you refresh the page

D
Old 03-06-2016, 02:43 PM
  # 405 (permalink)  

Day 29 - what!
Old 03-06-2016, 02:47 PM
  # 406 (permalink)  

Closing in on 30. Nice.
Old 03-06-2016, 02:49 PM
  # 407 (permalink)  
Nature Lover & Plantoholic

Thanks, y'all. I'm going to take a break for a bit. I swore I'd never become addicted to online sites, and yet here I am. I need to be a better source of inspiration for my son.
Old 03-06-2016, 02:52 PM
  # 408 (permalink)  

Look what I came up with for Cococo: Coł

Coł will be sorry she missed out on the Feb's Sunday discussion!
Old 03-06-2016, 02:53 PM
  # 409 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Outonthetiles View Post
Right, I mean, don't go out to bars. I just mean that there's booze ads everywhere, booze in the stores, and unless you live in a cave, booze at social occasions. I mentioned the 10k thing because I didn't expect my friends to order drinks at 11 a.m. on a Sunday morning. I wasn't prepared for that. Even back in October I was tapering down, so I said no thanks without much problem, but still, I can tell it's going to be a lifelong struggle.
There is booze everywhere but for me, I pretty much managed to avoid going to places where I knew alcohol would be for a few months.

I needed to do that. I needed to put clear distance between the old me I had been and the new me I wanted to become.

I had no sense of confidence I'd be ok around booze in the beginning. Over time I gained those sober muscles and it was fine but I still think that initial period was a great investment in my future.

I didn't just sit at home, I did other things - coffee dates, movies, walks in the park, hobbies, interests. It was a nice time

D
Old 03-06-2016, 02:56 PM
  # 410 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks to everyone for the kind words.

I'm going to be away for a day or so now. If anyone wants to ask me anything just PM me.

I wish all of you a happy and sober couple of days.

D
Old 03-06-2016, 02:56 PM
  # 411 (permalink)  

I get a little chuckle every time GG writes y'all.
Old 03-06-2016, 03:08 PM
  # 412 (permalink)  

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome. And thanks to the familiar names.

I really do think this time is it for me. When I am honest, over the years on SR, I never REALLY believed that I would not be able to drink in moderation one day. Now, 4 years after I started the real fight (I almost had one year at a point), I have learned that this has got to be my life.

I've been beating myself up a little today about regrets regrets and why I hit myself against a wall so many times. I could write a book on how to quit drinking, but I never wanted to apply it to myself. This time I know. It finally sank in.

What I CAN'T do anything about is the alcohol I drank from Leap Year day backward. What I CAN do something about is the rest of my life.
Thanks everyone. Great to be back. Look forward to meeting some of you and reconnecting with some old comrades.
Best,
Lee
Old 03-06-2016, 03:33 PM
  # 413 (permalink)  

Glad you're here Lee, we all need all the help we can get. I'm on 13 days now, nearly cracked today/last night but the tsunami passed for now and I'm still here. I'm pretty terrified at the thought of drinking again, of where it would lead...
Old 03-06-2016, 05:00 PM
  # 414 (permalink)  

Peekaboo!

Hey. Just me...sorry it's been so long. I messed up after my "Quit-date" & felt ashamed of my relapse...BUT: the ever-so-illusive 29th of February became my 1st day sober...so I'm practically 1 week in. The hard part (for me) is over. I was even strong enough to pass up cocktails my friend brought to my house last night. I feel good... But I'm eating a lot:/ i feel bad that I can't keep up with everyone 's stories since I'm so busy ! I'm reading some but can't always reciprocate a thought or response. Just thought I would check in since I kinda fell of the face of the earth....I'm hear to listen and cheer you on!
Old 03-06-2016, 05:04 PM
  # 415 (permalink)  

I hit refresh and Clownbaby's avatar scared the **** out of me.
Old 03-06-2016, 05:04 PM
  # 416 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Clownbaby View Post
Hey. Just me...sorry it's been so long. I messed up after my "Quit-date" & felt ashamed of my relapse...BUT: the ever-so-illusive 29th of February became my 1st day sober...so I'm practically 1 week in. The hard part (for me) is over. I was even strong enough to pass up cocktails my friend brought to my house last night. I feel good... But I'm eating a lot:/ i feel bad that I can't keep up with everyone 's stories since I'm so busy ! I'm reading some but can't always reciprocate a thought or response. Just thought I would check in since I kinda fell of the face of the earth....I'm hear to listen and cheer you on!
Thanks for joining Clownbaby I like your handle!
Old 03-06-2016, 05:29 PM
  # 417 (permalink)  

Hi Clownbaby, glad you're here.
Old 03-06-2016, 05:29 PM
  # 418 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Outonthetiles View Post
I hit refresh and Clownbaby's avatar scared the **** out of me.
Lmao OOTT. I literally LOL
Old 03-06-2016, 05:32 PM
  # 419 (permalink)  

Mm Auggie Chile Rellenos r a fave of mine
Welcome back Clownbaby
Knb I've missed posts because as I am writing up mine so are other people.. And theirs are done before mine... And then I usuaLly proceed reading posts under mine not realizing some new ones are on top of mine did I ramble much? Haha hope that made sense.
Old 03-06-2016, 05:41 PM
  # 420 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GardenGal View Post
Good on you, OOTT. I haven't had a DUI yet either, but I was still thrown in the slammer, on my son's 11th birthday. There, I said it.

Hope to feel some relief for having admitted it, rather than anguish. I just wish the cops had taken me to detox, instead.

I love me some cops [USA slang, sorry to the Limey grammarians ]; used to give them $$ donations. No more.
I never got a DUI, but god knows I should have yrs back. Stopped driving UI when my first child came along.
I ran like hell a few times and escaped. What an idiot I was.