Notices

Class of February 2016 Support Thread Part 7

Old 03-06-2016, 01:14 PM
  # 381 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by knb02 View Post
Dee do some posts appear on the page later? Hmm.I am not explaining myself properly
Never mind

Jobei how many days are you now?
13 days. You have to refresh your browser or you won't see new posts.
Old 03-06-2016, 01:27 PM
  # 382 (permalink)  

Congrats on 13 days! If you're like me you kind of kick yourself for getting into such a dumb situation like addiction, but in a way I'm glad I went through what I went through. I'd rather have my alcoholism reach a crisis point and force me to stop instead of just continuing to "maintain" at a lower level. In other words, I'm really glad to not drink at all and just be done with it.
Old 03-06-2016, 01:30 PM
  # 383 (permalink)  
Nature Lover & Plantoholic

Originally Posted by Outonthetiles View Post
Co x 3 is gonna be sad she missed all this Sunday fun!
Yes! I don't even know where to begin in terms of replying to y'all [is that our class' favorite word, or what? ], but this has been a fun day. And it's only half over for me! LOL

I've started to look at other stuff on this site -- OMG, there's a lot besides posts.
Thought Stopping: A Technique to Quiet the Negative Voice in Your Head

knb, I'm so glad I was able to help someone today [your new Netflix!!]. Might be a first for me on SR? Which step is that, again?

OOTT, it's ok to admit to 'ghetto' drinking. Wine might sound all high falutin', and I'm pretty sure very many people are in denial who are addicted to it, but trust me, I used to drink hard stuff, just not at home. Long Island Iced Teas were a favorite of mine at dance clubs [very quick buzz], and I only recently gave up tequila, though I still bought the 'good stuff' [añejo].

I'm starting to understand the early sobriety brain fog that I've read about here. Today when I wanted to make room on the stove for my homemade chicken stock, I grabbed the espresso pot [Italian type -- prepared on the stovetop] while it was still hot, and sort of burned my hands. Normally I would have only done this drunk, and probably barely felt any pain until the next day, but today I immediately grabbed a ton of ice! Yikes. My brain is definitely in a bit of fog… just like the city not far from here.
Old 03-06-2016, 01:32 PM
  # 384 (permalink)  

JL I will join you! I feel so blasted fat from all the food I have been devouring. I got a brand new spanking treadmill in my garage and I only used it once. I want to make an effort this week.
How about tomorrow???
I may try to live up to my cartoon avatar and start tonight but tomorrow is a go, for sure.
That movie is good, " into the wild".
It's sad to me though, however it's based on a true story
Old 03-06-2016, 01:34 PM
  # 385 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GardenGal View Post
In a few weeks! We will stay at Eco-tourism type places; on land set aside and protected for wildlife. It's a birders paradise there, up in the Andean cloud forest.
Andean cloud forest????? Whoa. I'm so jealous.
And poor !! Lol
Old 03-06-2016, 01:36 PM
  # 386 (permalink)  

Jobei
I'm sorry your days tough. Man I'm right there with you.
Today feels like a cold beer day. I don't even drink beer . AV is a sneaky Bast--- !
Old 03-06-2016, 01:37 PM
  # 387 (permalink)  

Don't be jealous of a vacation, JL. A good salary does NOT a good marriage make. Love, effort and support DOES, and I was very glad to read that you are trying. Your wife will come to appreciate it. Trust me, I did. My DH was a bit late, but better late than never. *hug*
Old 03-06-2016, 01:39 PM
  # 388 (permalink)  

GG, it was ghetto drinking too. Or garbage drinking, anyway. That's probably my last deep dark secret that I hadn't confessed here!
Old 03-06-2016, 01:43 PM
  # 389 (permalink)  

I can remember drinking shots if the cheapest plastic bottle vodka chased with warm apple juice boxes because it's all I had. Bad.
  # 390 (permalink)  

Oh, I just had another thought! It's not going to be realistic to "remove" ourselves from exposure to alcohol; it permeates our society. It's everywhere. I ran a 10k race last October and afterwards the people I was with all went out and most of them ordered champagne and orange juice, and the same thing will happen this year and again temptation will be there. I just have to learn to deal with it because it's going to be there.
  # 391 (permalink)  

If that's your darkest secret OOTT, then WOW, you're free!! I'll add you to my inspirations list.

Now *I'm* jealous. I have too many secrets to reveal. What if someone's lurking? [looks around nervously]
Old 03-06-2016, 01:44 PM
  # 392 (permalink)  

The last time I went to a club, a bouncer threw me out because I was too drunk. What annoyed me was he waited till I ordered my bottle of champagne. I turned into the hulk then. A very drunken hulk
Ugh I can relate KNB. I have several places around town that I have to avoid because of my drunken behavior....thankfully not a problem when you no longer drink
Old 03-06-2016, 01:51 PM
  # 393 (permalink)  

I know, I got off lucky. Kept my job, no DUI, never hit anyone. I effed up about three relationships and put on weight, but that's about it. Nothing wildly crazy. I feel like I'm a better person now and I like being honest with myself and others for a change. In a way, I'm glad I went through this crappy experience because I've come out a better man.
Old 03-06-2016, 01:55 PM
  # 394 (permalink)  

Good on you, OOTT. I haven't had a DUI yet either, but I was still thrown in the slammer, on my son's 11th birthday. There, I said it.

Hope to feel some relief for having admitted it, rather than anguish. I just wish the cops had taken me to detox, instead.

I love me some cops [USA slang, sorry to the Limey grammarians ]; used to give them $$ donations. No more.
Old 03-06-2016, 01:55 PM
  # 395 (permalink)  

OOTT, I had to laugh at two of your recent comments--the one about the Motley Crue production guy and also re: the beer you drank, unnamed because "so deep is my shame." Hilarious. I would drink pretty much anything btw.

Graced, I so relate! "It must be hard to have this falling down drunk in your life year after year and then surprise! she is all of sudden sober. A whole new ball game." My husband is really confused right now. He even tried to cut down his own drinking, but that didn't last long. I've been kind of a basket case for over a month. Unpredictable and moody. But nothing could be as bad as the verbally abusive a**hole I became when in a blackout!
Old 03-06-2016, 02:04 PM
  # 396 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GardenGal View Post
If that's your darkest secret OOTT, then WOW, you're free!! I'll add you to my inspirations list.

Now *I'm* jealous. I have too many secrets to reveal. What if someone's lurking? [looks around nervously]
I was in a relationship once and the man violated my privacy. He read my private journals and then confronted me with something I had written a full year prior to meeting him! I used to write daily, but quit writing completely when that happened. Before I left him, he went through my computer trying to dig up some kind of dirt. It was really difficult to learn to trust again. My current BF has access to my passwords. I have folders marked personal and he would never open them. He has access to my email and social sites but would never violate my privacy. I think picking up journaling again would be a good idea for me.

This is a big cooking day. Homemade dog food, chili relleno and chick pea masala dinners. I make a bunch and put them in the freezer. The only thing left are chocolate orange cookies. It's a new recipe, I'll let ya'll know how they turn out.

Peace, doodles.
Old 03-06-2016, 02:04 PM
  # 397 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Outonthetiles View Post
Oh, I just had another thought! It's not going to be realistic to "remove" ourselves from exposure to alcohol; it permeates our society. It's everywhere. I ran a 10k race last October and afterwards the people I was with all went out and most of them ordered champagne and orange juice, and the same thing will happen this year and again temptation will be there. I just have to learn to deal with it because it's going to be there.
This is true but for my own sake I am going to limit exposure as much as possible.
Old 03-06-2016, 02:14 PM
  # 398 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by safeandsound View Post
OOTT, I had to laugh at two of your recent comments--the one about the Motley Crue production guy and also re: the beer you drank, unnamed because "so deep is my shame." Hilarious. I would drink pretty much anything btw.

Graced, I so relate! "It must be hard to have this falling down drunk in your life year after year and then surprise! she is all of sudden sober. A whole new ball game." My husband is really confused right now. He even tried to cut down his own drinking, but that didn't last long. I've been kind of a basket case for over a month. Unpredictable and moody. But nothing could be as bad as the verbally abusive a**hole I became when in a blackout!
It's a music industry "insider" forum. There's musicians and a lot of back line music people who have been through rehab, are going through rehab, or need to go through rehab there, so there's some overlap, but I'm there because I do copyright work. Anyhoo, I was pontificating about the production quality of various Crue records and shows, and after too many late nite posts, their sound engineer identified me as someone who needed to clean up and PMed about it. He was evangelistic about it, but I wasn't ready to hear it at the time.
Old 03-06-2016, 02:23 PM
  # 399 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jobei View Post
This is true but for my own sake I am going to limit exposure as much as possible.
Right, I mean, don't go out to bars. I just mean that there's booze ads everywhere, booze in the stores, and unless you live in a cave, booze at social occasions. I mentioned the 10k thing because I didn't expect my friends to order drinks at 11 a.m. on a Sunday morning. I wasn't prepared for that. Even back in October I was tapering down, so I said no thanks without much problem, but still, I can tell it's going to be a lifelong struggle.
Old 03-06-2016, 02:29 PM
  # 400 (permalink)  

Hmmm, this whole music industry thing is new for me, on this thread, though my DH has been thrown into this business [sound engineer].

Ccc, the book I linked, "Look Me in the Eye" -- he was the engineer behind KISS' exploding guitars, and he was an Aspie!! Please try to look at your son's strengths, rather than his differences. It has taken me a lot to do this, but having grown up in a world of science nerds, it makes it easier. The good news in Silicon Valley is, if you're a nerd, you WILL succeed.