Notices

Class of February 2016 Support Thread Part 7

Old 03-06-2016, 11:43 AM
  # 341 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by knb02 View Post
Hey! Like the new avatar JL. That's you !
It's the charactar I play on my 7 yr olds game. Funny; about 38 yrs ago I watched the black and white tv show"shazam".
I refuse to grow up
Old 03-06-2016, 11:44 AM
  # 342 (permalink)  
Nature Lover & Plantoholic

It's been raining a CA a lot, first year in 4+ years, so while I know we need it, I admit I hate it. It rained a bit today, then glorious sunshine, so I went out. It's amazing how much just a bit of sunshine and birds chirping can do for the soul. I recommend it. The days I just wanted to stay in bed, hungover, worsened the depression.

knb, I forgot to chime in that I agree on using stock instead of wine for cooking. I make my own stocks using meat bones and veg that isn't at its prime [but not gone off]. I'm making some right now!

Febs: check out bunny's 9 months sober thread in the newbie section. Very inspirational.

DH announced yesterday that he's booking flights to Ecuador. I've always planned out vacations, and spent a TON of time researching for the perfect spots, but I need to let go some and let him pamper me, right?

jobei, hope you're feeling better. If you don't have sun, turn on lots of lights. That's what I do! It drives the DH a bit mad, but I finally told him yesterday that I need to do it for my mood. Hope I can 'win' that one.
Old 03-06-2016, 11:45 AM
  # 343 (permalink)  

Yep. Me too. My friends keep asking me to go out for a drink but I am not ready for this. Especially now when I kind of feel "curious".
Same here. Friends are always pushing booze on me. I guess I hid my alcoholism pretty well. Someone gave me a bottle of Fireball (weird type of cinnamon whiskey for my British and Aussie and Kiwi friends) in Feb., right when I stopped. I can't even remember the occasion because my brain was still in recovery and not forming new memories. I smiled and put it in their fridge and left it there, unopened. Now when it comes up, I just say "I forgot it."
Old 03-06-2016, 11:46 AM
  # 344 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JL2014 View Post
It's the charactar I play on my 7 yr olds game. Funny; about 38 yrs ago I watched the black and white tv show"shazam".
I refuse to grow up
I use to love all the action heros...superman, batman., Wonder Woman, the bionic man, the hulk.

Sometimes I feel like the hulk. I go into a rage and turn green and bulbous. Grrrrrr.
Old 03-06-2016, 11:53 AM
  # 345 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GardenGal View Post
It's been raining a CA a lot, first year in 4+ years, so while I know we need it, I admit I hate it. It rained a bit today, then glorious sunshine, so I went out. It's amazing how much just a bit of sunshine and birds chirping can do for the soul. I recommend it. The days I just wanted to stay in bed, hungover, worsened the depression.

knb, I forgot to chime in that I agree on using stock instead of wine for cooking. I make my own stocks using meat bones and veg that isn't at its prime [but not gone off]. I'm making some right now!

Febs: check out bunny's 9 months sober thread in the newbie section. Very inspirational.

DH announced yesterday that he's booking flights to Ecuador. I've always planned out vacations, and spent a TON of time researching for the perfect spots, but I need to let go some and let him pamper me, right?

jobei, hope you're feeling better. If you don't have sun, turn on lots of lights. That's what I do! It drives the DH a bit mad, but I finally told him yesterday that I need to do it for my mood. Hope I can 'win' that one.
Oh wow that's what I also do as well. I turn on all the lights. I hate the dark. I actually used vinegar as a substitute for wine and the taste was very similar. My curry was delicious .
I told my mum that she had to bring her own wine if she was drinking at lunch time..and to take the rest with her. Luckily she arrived with just sparkling water. I think I would have had a hard time watching her drink white wine.

Equator? Nice. When are you going?
  # 346 (permalink)  

Yea JL2004 it's a lonely sort of sunday. You're absolutely right about alcohol being pushed by big business, they make a fortune off of alcohol abusers, scary to think how much I've pissed down the drain over the years. I'm glad to hear that you're feeling stronger, taking back control is great, I'm here if you need to vent I'm having a tough day too just trying to keep in mind what one drink would do to me..
  # 347 (permalink)  

Ditto, love the new avatar! I remember Shazam!

I use to love all the action heros...superman, batman., Wonder Woman, the bionic man, the hulk.

Sometimes I feel like the hulk. I go into a rage and turn green and bulbous. Grrrrrr.
Ditto here. I've been in club & bar brawls, with men, back in my single days. And I won.

If you can call it winning. Bouncers don't tend to take lightly to guys who get aggro on women. But I probably shouldn't have punched in the face.

My anger management issues used to be a lot worse, but I'm still a work in progress.
Old 03-06-2016, 11:55 AM
  # 348 (permalink)  

Knb02 that's cool that she was fine without bringing wine... I definitely know the feeling of being uncomfortable around ppl drinking, it's one of the things (social) that makes giving it up so hard. Curry sounds fantastic been so long since I've had it. Great job being sober today, I'm right there with you god willing!
Old 03-06-2016, 11:58 AM
  # 349 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Outonthetiles View Post
Same here. Friends always pushing booze on me. I guess I hid my alcoholism pretty well. Someone gave me a bottle of Fireball (weird type of cinnamon whiskey for my British and Aussie and Kiwi friends) in Feb., right when I stopped. I can't even remember the occasion because my brain was still in recovery and not forming new memories. I smiled and put it in their fridge and left it there, unopened. Now when it comes up, I just say "I forgot it."
OOTT My best friend says to me "you still not drinking?" I tell her no cause I need a long break and she replies with "when you are done with your break we will celebrate and get hammered". She will be waiting a very long time hopefully.
This may seem strange but I have an entire bar in my shed. I refuse to throw the bottles away because I collected these bottles while travelling or they are very expensive...gin from Japan , schnapps from Iceland, rum from Barbados , vodka with gold flakes inside. For some reason they don't trigger me at all. But. If there was wine in my shed. Different story
Old 03-06-2016, 11:59 AM
  # 350 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jobei View Post
Yea JL2004 it's a lonely sort of sunday. You're absolutely right about alcohol being pushed by big business, they make a fortune off of alcohol abusers, scary to think how much I've pissed down the drain over the years. I'm glad to hear that you're feeling stronger, taking back control is great, I'm here if you need to vent I'm having a tough day too just trying to keep in mind what one drink would do to me..
Are you still struggling jobei?
Old 03-06-2016, 11:59 AM
  # 351 (permalink)  

Equator? Nice. When are you going?
In a few weeks! We will stay at Eco-tourism type places; on land set aside and protected for wildlife. It's a birders paradise there, up in the Andean cloud forest.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:03 PM
  # 352 (permalink)  

In a few weeks! We will stay at Eco-tourism type places; on land set aside and protected for wildlife. It's a birders paradise there, up in the Andean cloud forest.
No way! That sounds stunning! Where and how did you find this place? Do you feel you have a good sobriety plan? I am travelling in December and already nervous about it. It's a rediculous 9 months away but I am worried already
  # 353 (permalink)  

Ditto here. I've been in club & bar brawls, with men, back in my single days. And I won.

If you can call it winning. Bouncers don't tend to take lightly to guys who get aggro on women. But I probably shouldn't have punched in the face.

My anger management issues used to be a lot worse, but I'm still a work in progress.
I never got the "angry drunk" or the "sloppy sentimental drunk" thing. It's scary because I prided myself on being a "good drinker" who could really handle my alcohol, at least until the end, when alcohol stopped working for me. I was a pretty good drunk for the most part and could handle my emotions and not get violent on the one end of the scale and not get all sentimental on the other hand. I guess at the end I was becoming more angry, I can remember flipping out on the phone a couple times. One thing that got scary was drunk texting and posting. I am on a music industry forum for and I'd remember reading my posts the next morning and having no recollection of posting them and not having any clue why I posted what I posted. A guy from Motley Crue's production team is a member of the forum, and he PMed that I was getting out of control. That's sort of a wake up call.
  # 354 (permalink)  

What is this time above our avatars? Is that the time in the USA?
Old 03-06-2016, 12:04 PM
  # 355 (permalink)  

This may seem strange but I have an entire bar in my shed. I refuse to throw the bottles away because I collected these bottles while travelling or they are very expensive...gin from Japan , schnapps from Iceland, rum from Barbados , vodka with gold flakes inside. For some reason they don't trigger me at all. But. If there was wine in my shed. Different story
I had that sort of collection, too. Even stuff from cloistered nuns [meaning you can't see their faces] in the boonies of Italy.

It's all gone. Good for you for avoiding yours! You are stronger than you think!

No way! That sounds stunning! Where and how did you find this place? Do you feel you have a good sobriety plan?
I never drink when I'm on vacation with my family, and I don't even really crave it. Also, all weird symptoms [stomach upset, etc] magically disappear whenever I go away. I think it's psychosomatic: escape [without the EtOH escape].
Old 03-06-2016, 12:07 PM
  # 356 (permalink)  

The last time I went to a club, a bouncer threw me out because I was too drunk. What annoyed me was he waited till I ordered my bottle of champagne. I turned into the hulk then. A very drunken hulk
Old 03-06-2016, 12:08 PM
  # 357 (permalink)  

God I am bored. I normally drink myself stupid on a Sunday evening. Nothing on tv. Feeling restless. Won't drink but not sure what to do. Sick of eating.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:09 PM
  # 358 (permalink)  

OOTT My best friend says to me "you still not drinking?" I tell her no cause I need a long break and she replies with "when you are done with your break we will celebrate and get hammered". She will be waiting a very long time hopefully.
See, I can't do that. I can't have any alcohol in the house or I'd get into it. I was one of those "drink until it's gone" types.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:10 PM
  # 359 (permalink)  

I've suddenly been eating a lot too, and read somewhere else here that very dark chocolate is magic for cravings, so I've gone ahead and been eating plenty of that, too. I'll diet later. Need to stop drinking, first!

knb, rent a movie! We use Netflix and Amazon a lot for that.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:15 PM
  # 360 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Outonthetiles View Post
See, I can't do that. I can't have any alcohol in the house or I'd get into it. I was one of those "drink until it's gone" types.
I am curious to know if you drank anything.
I only drank wine. That was my weakness. Never spirits . Maybe why it doesn't bother me to have spirits in my shed, but maybe it's dangerous to have them there....