Notices

Class of October 2015 Part 6

Old 03-02-2016, 02:51 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hey all,allergies are driving me bananas! I'm congested in the sinuses and the only way I can describe it is it's almost like a drunk feel,dizzy,bad memory,in a fog,yuck! Drinking some apple cider vinegar to try and thin it out,Grizz,its amazing the thoughts that pass through our heads sometimes, that dumb AV is a tricky bugger! Remember they're just thoughts and thoughts are like clouds that pass in the sky,Juno,you sound positive, keep it up,alrighty off to steam my nose,have a good one😊
Old 03-02-2016, 03:31 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Winslow, I have allergies, too. It stinks and my nose is almost always running and I think it's what makes me so tired. I just kind of accept it and live with it because some of the allergy medicine makes me drowsy.

In 24 hours we should be in Orlando (God willing!) so this will be my last post until I return. I have so much to do before we go (haven't even started packing yet) but I have faith that I can get it all done. Taking a quick rest and then going to start with the packing. It always seems worse than it is - once you start it's not so bad. Since we're only going for 3 nights and the weather will be warm (and no rain) this should be a fairly easy packing job.

I am doing fine with not drinking, though I did have a wayward thought. At around 4:30 I picked up my son at his busstop and he asked for a donut so since he's a good boy and worked hard all week I took him to Dunkin' Donuts for his favorite type of donut. We were walking by a couple of stores on the way to the donut shop and I saw this restaurant with a bar and the TV on. It triggered a desire in me to sit at a bar and have a glass of wine and watch sports or the news. Ugh. Then I couldn't shake it and started fantasizing about getting a bottle of Chardonnay and going home and packing while drinking and cozy in my own house. It was a nice little fantasy until I fast forwarded to the part where I would wake up sick to my stomach tomorrow just in time for our trip. That stopped me in my tracks and the little fantasy was over.

I'm not worried about the possibility of drinking on the trip because I'll be with my kids and they are old enough to know about alcohol and it would be really uncomfortable to drink in front of them. So it's not even an option. I will bring my anti-anxiety medicine in case I have any trouble with flying and being anxious, etc. I hope I do just fine.

Take care in the meantime until I return!! (Sunday is the return date).
Old 03-02-2016, 04:34 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have a good and sober trip Juno
Old 03-02-2016, 05:24 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Winslow, I know what you mean! My allergies kicked in last week too. The most annoying part is the brain fog. It makes it hard to think straight, and that is so frustrating. I might try some local bee pollen. That is supposed to really help. I hope you feel better soon!!
Juno, have a great trip!! That is so awesome you are getting some good quality time with your kiddos. A family trip with no hangovers is a wonderful thing! We'll miss you while you're gone! Have safe travels and lotsa fun, and I'm looking forward to hearing about it when you get back!
I got my chemical peel today. Whew, my face was on fire! It hurt more than I thought it would, but the pain was over pretty quickly. I left the office blue, looking like a smurf. Now I'm more of a greenish color like I've done one of those face masks at home. I should get back to my normal color tomorrow then the peeling will start in a couple of days. This has been several years in the making. When I left work to get it done I was thinking I can't believe I'm doing this. I've wanted to do this for so long, and now I'm doing it! It will take about six weeks to see the full effect, and I am so excited!! I'm feeling pretty drained too, today was a big day for me. I've had scarring from my drug use for several years so today was about getting back to some semblance of myself before the ravages of addiction. I also realized this morning I've lost 9 pounds since not drinking. I'm doing it- I'm getting back to my old self! But smarter now : )
Old 03-03-2016, 03:25 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee and Grizzly!

I was wrong - this is actually my last post before the trip

Grizzly, I hope you heal well today from the chemical peel. Good for you doing something for yourself, even it might cause discomfort in the beginning. I hope you will be happy with the results I think we're all in the process of getting back to our "old selves." I think about that all the time - there was a time when I wasn't obsessed with wine and drinking and I'd like to get to the "me that was." I suppose we can never totally go back to the past, so maybe just a "new and improved" version of me

So my deal is that it's early in the morning and I have to get up and finish this packing. It's really come down to the last minute, which I hate - but my life is so busy that I don't have time to do packing and I have to carve out time for that. A co-worker had asked me on Tuesday if I was headed to Orlando "tomorrow" which would have been Wednesday. I told him no, that I needed time to pack! And I still haven't gotten it done and it's trip day! We leave for the airport around 2:00 so I still have plenty of time to pull things together.

Last night my daughter and I got a mani/pedi (she got a mani/pedi, I just got a pedi). My feet feel so much softer - I hadn't had one since last summer. So nice! And I got a nice color on my toes and feel better about my feet (in sandals on this trip!) We also got spray tans, which is good - however, I am allergic to some chemical in the self-tanner so I always get itchy on the backs on my legs around my knees. It's annoying because I like having a tan, but I had skin cancer (melanoma) a few years ago so getting tan by the sun or tanning beds is out of the question. The only thing left is spray tan, but I have an allergy to some of the chemicals. Sigh. I think someone upstairs wants me to be pasty white like my Irish heritage. Someday I'll just accept pasty white and live with it, but for this trip I'll be tan and suffer some discomfort. Ah, the problems of trying to look good.

I am happy to be sober and here with you guys. I will hit a milestone of 30 days on March 20th and am motivated by earning a "chip" on phone app. I can do this. Take care!
Old 03-03-2016, 03:34 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

p.s. It's supposed to snow here in Maryland (maybe not a lot) starting tonight. We'll be getting out just in time
Old 03-03-2016, 12:03 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Life is funny. I got up at 6:00 am, got all packed, went and got cash and air in my tires, took care of my dog, got all ready.... and flight was delayed 3.5 hours. Geez, if I had known that I would have relaxed a bit more! Life is funny. I'm worried that we're not going to get there today, but I have to roll with the punches because there's not much else to be done!
Old 03-04-2016, 06:57 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hope you have a safe trip Juno,I need a getaway too,Grizz,what you up too? Allergies still bugging, its supposed to be real bad tomorrow according to the pollen forecast, yippee, hope everyone is well😊
Old 03-04-2016, 10:20 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Today is day #144. No particular significance...I'm just proud to be sober! Happy Friday Class of October 2015!!!!
Old 03-04-2016, 11:07 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Congrats TP😀 today I'm 133, no signifigance either,just cool how our numbers lined up
Old 03-04-2016, 05:04 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Congrats Winslow and TP770!!!
Juno, I hope you're having a great trip!! That sounds like so much fun getting a mani/pedi and spray tan with your daughter! That's some good pampering time together : )
This week has exhausted me. I'm so glad it's Friday so I can go into hiding for the weekend after this chemical peel. I am looking terrible right now. I'm not complaining though, it's what I asked for- and paid for!
Winslow, what do you have planned this weekend? My plan is to stay out of the sun. Do some housework, catch up on my Criminal Minds I have recorded. That's about it. And that is fine with me right now!
Old 03-04-2016, 05:05 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on your milestones guys

D
Old 03-05-2016, 09:07 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Winslow, are you feeling better?
I got 12 hours of sleep last night. Wow, I really needed that. My day started with a notice from my realtor that a house I wanted to make an offer on was back on the market. I really liked the house, but it was on the high end of my limit. Then they dropped it $11,000 on Thursday. Friday morning I was going to make an offer, but it was already under contract. So this morning when I found out it was back on the market, I'm like ok, I get my second chance, I'm ready! I made my offer this afternoon. So this is house buying round two, step one. I'm very reluctant to get excited because of my last experience. It's a foreclosure that the VA took back so I won't know anything until at least monday. Now I wait...
Other than that, I did laundry, cleaned house, and laid low while my face peels off.
Juno will be back tomorrow : )
Old 03-06-2016, 03:48 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Hi guys! I'm back from my trip. It was both wonderful and stressful at the same time, if you can believe it. Wonderful because I got some good quality time with my kids in a great environment (I love Orlando! And I love Universal Studios! and the weather was GREAT!) Stressful in that my son with autism was very, very difficult at times on the trip and it was hard to balance the needs of 3 different kids with different needs and do all the things everyone wanted to do. When I got home I told my Mom that I think that was the last time I'm taking all 3 kids on a trip - too stressful!! From now on it'll be one at a time (at most, 2 - but better would be 1). Ah well, it was successful for the most part.

I did fine most of the trip re: alcohol. I saw people drinking at the theme parks (mostly beer) - but that didn't affect me much. There were also people drinking at 5:00 ish at the pool - that didn't affect me at all, either. What did affect me was seeing this stand of individual wine glasses that were like little bottles in the shape of a glass - that you can buy and bring back to your room and put in the fridge. Of course I didn't do it, but it triggered a desire in me to do it.

I had my closest call yet when I returned home and the stress was off more or less and all I wanted to do was run to the store for some wine. I really thought about it and couldn't make any sensible plans of how it would work - even went to find my keys, couldn't find them and said, "it's a sign. DON'T do it." I made a pasta dinner and that was that. The thoughts are gone. It's truly amazing how quickly the thoughts go away. If you don't act on them right away and just delay the whole process, they get weaker and weaker to the point where you just say, "I don't need this." The trip took a lot out of me and I'm glad to be home!

I was stressed leading up to it, but managed to pull it off. I should feel happy that we did it. Okay, trying to put things back together at home now. I'm soooooo happy to see my dog!!!
Old 03-06-2016, 03:55 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Administrator

good to see you back and know that you made it ok Juno

Hi Griz and Winslow

D
Old 03-06-2016, 07:25 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Hi Dee!
Glad you made it back safely, juno! It sounds like it was a good trip overall, yay!! I love Orlando too. There are so many fun things to do there. I hear you on wanting to drink, but mine has been going on for a few days now. I haven't had a real hard time with that, and usually it's very fleeting if it crosses my mind, but not this time. I know I've got PMS going on, maybe some PAWS, and definitely some stress. Mentally I feel like I am not in a good place right now. I know drinking isn't going to fix a thing so I'm hanging on for better days. I was able to run again yesterday after a few days off, and that helped. I ran again today. Now I'm drinking a Dr. Pepper like it's the best thing in the world. Whatever works, just don't drink! I hope we all have a great Monday!
Old 03-07-2016, 08:40 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

PMS and stress can be brutal. Hang in there, Grizzly!! I will try to as well!

Any news on the second house you made an offer on?

Winslow, how are you doing?

I just went to yoga and it's a beautiful day. I'm so glad I didn't have wine last night. My stomach would not have approved of the decision (nor any part of my body) today. I guess it's one day at a time when things get dicey.

Hope Monday treats everyone well!
Old 03-07-2016, 07:43 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Thank you, juno! I appreciate that : ) Yes, let's hang in there!!! We CAN handle whatever comes our way sober, and it's a lot better than dealing with it drunk. I don't get much done when I'm drunk.
Oh, the house... It will be nothing short of a miracle if it works out. Everything has to align perfectly, and that is rare. But not impossible! It has a pool that is currently non-functional, so I needed to switch my loan from FHA to conventional. That changes the down payment and the ratios. A difference of a few dollars a month could blow the whole thing. It's so close that my home owners insurance has to be $40/month. $45 is too much! I got that figured out today, now I'm waiting for the sellers response to my counter. Their counter was quite palatable, but I'm seeing if they'll go $1,000 lower. The equity and re-sale in this house is great. I'm offering $134,000. They already agreed to pay $4,000 in closing costs. The same size houses in that neighborhood are selling for $165,000+. It will be a great investment if it works out. I do not have my hopes up, and at this point I am just laughing at the insanity of trying to make all of this work out. I'm a lot calmer this go 'round!
Do you ever have days when you amaze yourself at how much you're able to get done? Today was one of those days for me. I was too busy, too productive, and doing too well to even think about drinking. Yay!!
Old 03-08-2016, 05:02 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Good morning! Hey Grizzly, that sounds good. You sound great and you are going about this house process with the right attitude - not getting attached to any one house and going for a good deal. Good for you! I hope it all works out but you know it will in the end. Isn't nice when we have a good day without thoughts of drinking or needing to drink? That was me yesterday, too.

I'm going back to work today and meeting an old friend to catch up after work. I am praying to have the strength not to drink even though he will be. I know I can do it - just have to order a cranberry juice and that will be that. I'm just telling on myself now so I won't decide to change my mind at the last minute. Reporting on myself ahead of time. I promise to check in after it's over.

Hoping for a good day - Winslow, where are you? Hope all is okay.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:25 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Hey all,sorry I haven't been around just really don't feel good😡 in the past I always thought these allergies were drink related,guess they're not,Grizz I hops the house goes through, Juno,good on you for getting through the trip AF,you can do this! Hope we all have a terrific Tuesday😊