Notices

Class of February 2016 Support Thread Part 5

Old 02-28-2016, 03:55 PM
  # 361 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by knb02 View Post
Just one day at a time for me too. Even the ones who have years of sobriety say one day at a time. I know why I always go back to drinking...cause I like the buzz. I like zoning out. But I can't control my intake. Others drink a bottle over the weekend..I drink 14 bottles a week. Big difference . I tried moderating for years and it would work for a few months or so but something would happen, I freak out and I am back to drinking on a daily basis.

I finally accept that I am powerless over alcohol and I hope this will be enough to stop me from drinking that first one. But it's hard.
I'm right there with you and today has been hard but things will only get better without booze controlling our existence.
Old 02-28-2016, 04:23 PM
  # 362 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jobei View Post
I'm right there with you and today has been hard but things will only get better without booze controlling our existence.
Yes. Absolutely right. Small steps
Old 02-28-2016, 04:25 PM
  # 363 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I craved the buzz too knb...but somewhere along the way I rediscovered how good it is to live in reality.

A lot of my drinking was about escape...nothing to escape from if you love your life

D
Dee my life in the past 34 days have been amazing. Truly.

I don't want to give it up
Old 02-28-2016, 04:29 PM
  # 364 (permalink)  

Sober life is good.

Do you want to know what I find mildly sad? That with the help of Google maps I can't lie to myself about being on time for things when it always shows me exactly how long it will take to get there. Did you know speeding only shaves off a minute or two? Not even worth it.
On that note, I'm not driving to the meeting tonight so 1 I'll show up and 2 I most likely won't be late 😊haha. Had a nap and a huge supper all by my lonesome. Yay lazy Sunday.
Old 02-28-2016, 04:41 PM
  # 365 (permalink)  

We're looking for a place to rent in Mexico in August. One listing boasts that there's "a liquor store 200 meters away." Another says they start you out with a fridge stocked with beer.
No thanks. I can see that our vacation is going to be tricky.
Old 02-28-2016, 04:50 PM
  # 366 (permalink)  

OOTT there's sober places too! Typically charge you more because they know they won't be reaping you for alcohol costs... but it's worth it
Old 02-28-2016, 05:43 PM
  # 367 (permalink)  
Nature Lover & Plantoholic

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I craved the buzz too knb...but somewhere along the way I rediscovered how good it is to live in reality.

A lot of my drinking was about escape...nothing to escape from if you love your life

D
I typed a long [for me] reply, and my laptop froze up on me at the last sentence, arg!!

Well, I wanted to say that I totally agree. I used to hoard wine more than actually drink it, saving it for dinner parties and such. I'd only buy the good stuff. Now I've only bought the ok stuff, because I haven't really be enjoying it any longer, especially not after the first few glasses. It has absolutely been an escape method from pain; a way to numb the brain. So I've decided on my first 'signature' quote just now, thanks Dee.

Today was a good day, nearly the end of day 4! Had a tasty Himalayan lunch, and a family hike around the lake. Amazingly, today my blood pressure has been nearing normal.

Weekdays are my downfall however, so my recovery plan is a meeting every day, a walk every day, and checking in here every day. Small steps!
Old 02-28-2016, 05:53 PM
  # 368 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, I just wanted to check in. I haven't been very active this month, but I am on day 8. Just kind of taking it day by day, lots of feelings coming up, but determined to stay sober.
With the month coming to an end tomorrow, I wanted to be sure you all still counted me in and say hello again.
Old 02-28-2016, 05:54 PM
  # 369 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

I just dropped my sister off at the airport, and realized that this time last Sunday, I was lying in bed sweating and shaking, waiting for her plane to arrive so she could bring me beer and help me start my taper. Now, I'm nearing the end of day four with no physical symptoms, and only occasional anxiety. My wife is back in town, she brought me lovely gifts from Myanmar, and I'm making dinner preparing for some pre-bed yoga and meditation and more sober sleep. It's been a good week.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:00 PM
  # 370 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by knb02 View Post
You are always the first one to start the day Cococo. Thanks for your list. I haven't heard of Drama in a while...
Hi knb

Youre welcome. I like doing the list

Yeah shes never posted since I joined February class, Ive never heard from DramaStudent at all, I joined after she last posted

Why don't you send her a PM or visitor message?
Old 02-28-2016, 06:08 PM
  # 371 (permalink)  

Hello feb friends. I have reached a
Milestone of 3 weeks! This time 3 weeks ago I was so devastated and depressed. Today I feel great. Tired but happy. Looking forward to enjoying all of March sober with you guys.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:10 PM
  # 372 (permalink)  

I got pushed so hard today. So hard. I actually pointed at my wife in the middle of some kind of breakdown/rant she was going through , where all the bottled up grief and whatever else was poured on me, ( I did hurt her feelings unintentionally), and said " there's NOTHING you can say or do, to make me drink today! She's not the cause anyway, but an alcoholic doesn't need any real prodding to drink. It's inside us wether we take a drink or not. Today was hell, and part of it was ok. It would've been all bad, if I'd been drinking.
I can't identify the switch inside me that stops me from continuing the cycle, but I'm surely thankful to be sober.
Once again, I'm daunted by the task of rebuilding things that have been lost , between my wife and me. I told her today we need to go to marriage counselling, but I want to make sure she gets going tomorrow with the grief/ emotional counselling. Life is so hard for her sometimes, and yea she's bad to me, and I'm bad to her ( another deadly cycle), but we've roughed out some horrible times together, I just hope we hold on.
Anyway. Thankful for one week sober. It'll get harder I guess.
So will I.

Hugs
Old 02-28-2016, 06:27 PM
  # 373 (permalink)  

I got into it with my daughter's mom... details don't matter but it got me to react really negatively and I got really angry. I didn't really think about drinking at the moment but looking back on it I can see how it will fester if I don't get it out. Hang in there JL we might be able to work on these things without booze...with booze we can throw in the towel right now...
Old 02-28-2016, 06:30 PM
  # 374 (permalink)  

Day 2. Still feeling pangs of guilt for giving in Friday. I went to a meeting and heard a speaker, it was a pretty remarkable story. It helped. I having fleeting thoughts of drinking but feeling new reassurance. I'm going to keep going to meetings and hope to meet some people.

Sitting here watching the Oscars. Haven't seen any of these movies so I don't much care who wins.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:34 PM
  # 375 (permalink)  

Good evening everyone. I see that collectedly we are doing well in our sober journey. In a few hours, I will have completed three weeks of sobriety. So a solid 21 days under my belt.

Before I sign off, I'd like to offer something that I believe Dee once wrote on this site. Paraphrasing, it was , "I can be the person I want to be, and have the life I want, or I can drink. But I can't do both."

I put that saying as a note on my phone, and I read it at least once everyday. It speaks to me because I can either realize my full potential in both myself and my life or I can drink. Frequently reminding myself of this simple truth keeps me motivated. Perhaps it will help some of you.

And as a reminder, in a day or so, this thread will move from the "Newcomers to Recovery" subforum and over to the "Newcomers Daily Support Threads" subforum. See ya' there.

Peace
Old 02-28-2016, 07:02 PM
  # 376 (permalink)  

It has been years since I have posted on SR or joined a class. I have been following along all month and figured that I should join in before the move. I am on day 28. Thank you for motivating and inspiring me -- even if you didn't know it!

Here's to a hangover free tomorrow!
Old 02-28-2016, 07:10 PM
  # 377 (permalink)  

Congrats to all of us, whether we had trouble this weekend or not. Even for members of the class that drank this weekend, as long as we're all posting and being accountable, we're making progress. I am soooo happy to be part of this class.
Old 02-28-2016, 07:39 PM
  # 378 (permalink)  

Welcome somebody else. 28 days is awesome! You must be feeling great?
Just took my dog out for a long run. I love spending time with him. Being sober is a little bit dull, but it is so peaceful and calm.
Old 02-28-2016, 08:53 PM
  # 379 (permalink)  

Congrats to all in this class! We all started on our journey (some for the first time and some not) during February and should all be proud taking this step.

Still watching the Oscars and apparently I watched a couple of the movies On Demand with spouse and have no recollection of them. How did he not know I was an alcoholic I wonder. He did look shocked when I had no clue about the movies. Ugh!!! It reminded me of all the hidden bottles, injuries, lies, etc.

Report to JL.., I did go to walk in doc and am the recipient of a course of antibiotics and an inhaler for sinus infection and bronchitis. Never had them both at same time, lovely. Guess the kale juice didn't work, hah! Drank that nastiness for naught.

Sweet Dreams or Good morning to all!
Old 02-28-2016, 09:16 PM
  # 380 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome somebody else...

just in time for graduation

congratulations everyone