Notices

Class of February 2016 Support Thread Part 4

Old 02-25-2016, 01:45 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. I managed to meet my friend at the pub for dinner and......wait for it.......not drink!!!!!
First time ever! I actually really enjoyed my meal and the conversation and now I'm home tucked up in bed ready to get a good nights sleep. Bring on day 19 tomorrow
Old 02-25-2016, 01:49 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SansaS View Post
Hi everyone. I managed to meet my friend at the pub for dinner and......wait for it.......not drink!!!!!
First time ever! I actually really enjoyed my meal and the conversation and now I'm home tucked up in bed ready to get a good nights sleep. Bring on day 19 tomorrow
Good for you!!
Old 02-25-2016, 01:49 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's great SansaS

Like I said to Orozslan I really think its best if we change our behaviour and meet folks in other places other than pubs...but I'm glad you made it ok

D
Old 02-25-2016, 02:05 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cococo View Post
Knb02

Thanks for asking.

Im feeling good right now. I had a bad spell where AV surfaced from about 4pm until about 6pm (same time as yesterday) where I was very easy agitated. I used to typically start drinking around that time. I rode the waves and eventually came right about 6pm, but it was touch and go at points in the 2 hour attack. I become very calm and peaceful after that.

Im just really struggling with getting my head around the fact this current sobriety isn't just me having a temporary break from alcohol, and is in fact a permanent fixture. It feels like Im having a holiday from drinking.

Yep in 1.5 hours day 7 is over.

I live in New Zealand. Do you know where that is?

I wouldn't fret about this man. I think you did the right thing. I wouldn't give it another thought. I would just concentrate on your sobriety and son. Im keeping things REALLY plain and simple in my life for the first 90 days - drama free as much as I can.
Yes I know New Zealand very well. Your country received alot of publicity from The Lord of The Rings. Its a stunning country. Its a favourite place to visit for British folk.

I think a lot of us have that late afternoon trigger as it was also my drinking time. The first thing I did was down a glass of wine as soon as I got home. My body craved it. I have replaced it with chocolate but one day at a time right?

I am also keeping my life very simple too. Toxic men and situations will be dealt with very swiftly. That man is permanently out of my life as of today.

So. On the subject of toxic situations..not sure if this one is toxic or not for me. Couldn't decide last night.
I am not sure whether I ought to attend my Wednesday group meeting in the future. Its not an AA meeting. Its organised by a private addiction organisation. I have been attending this group session for the past three weeks . There is always a lady there who is always drunk. She had a spell of not drinking and has relapse. I thought she was struggling to stop and wanted positive encouragement off the group but last night she confessed that she doesn't know if she wants to stop as she isn't bothered if she died.

That made me feel really sad when I heard this...and angry. I didn't see the point of her attending these meetings if that's her attitude. But then again, I know that alcohol messes up your mind and makes you think of things that are not true to you. Anyway, she then proceeded to lecture me on how to stop drinking. I told her numerous times that I am sober. Sigh. When you deal with a drunk person you get no sense.

It annoys me that I am around a drunk person when I am trying to stay sober. Maybe I am expecting too much at group meetings. Obviously there are going to be people there who are still drinking

I think I need to speak to my counsellor about this one. Not sure if this is detrimental to my sobriety.
Old 02-25-2016, 02:06 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Good morning class! What a fitful night, but I managed a few hours of sleep. Here's to a better day!
Old 02-25-2016, 02:29 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

knb02

Yeah it is a safe and beautiful place to live. I live in a city that's on the coast. Im grateful for this.

You have a very positive and healthy attitude about your sobriety and sobriety in general.

I can understand how that woman would upset you - because you take your sobriety seriously. And she sounds as though shes there to stuff around.

I would avoid her like the plague. Steer well clear. Don't allow her to engage you in conversation. When/if you see her walking up to you, put your mobile to your ear and say "Hello" or walk in the opposite direction or if you cant avoid her, just stop her at the gate post, at her first word, and say "Sorry Im in a hurry today/tonight" or "Sorry I need the bathroom". That's what I would do. Do NOT let her presence upset you.

And absolutely talk with the supervisor of the group. Express your concern. You have a right to do that.
Old 02-25-2016, 02:50 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Good morning GN

Great to hear from you.

You have joined a wonderful class, full of wise, friendly, real and caring people.

Wishing you great sober day. You can do it!
Old 02-25-2016, 03:00 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  
Sober date: 20th May 2023

Hi Everyone. I was in the January class but slipped up. Anyone mind if I hop on board? xxx
Old 02-25-2016, 03:02 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JL2014 View Post
Something in my life changed and took my joy for some things away.
Maybe because of drinking. The turning point of alcoholism caused depression ? I don't know.
I've got a life left to live and I don't want to waste it. I'm doing that being drunk.
If it's a generational curse/addiction, that's inherited I've got to break it somehow.
I'm glad you guys are here.
Feeling alone in this would be more than I could handle.
Gonna lay back down til workday starts up.
If my struggle helps anyone in some small way, I'm glad.
I feel kinda run-over at the moment.
Rather not be here again.
Jl I missed this post for some reason. There was a lot of things you said that I related to. Life is definitely tough. No two ways about it and for the people who have managed to lead a stress free one are just lucky.
I also wondered whether too much disappointment and hurt took the joy of life away or was it my progressive drinking and the consequences. Was hard to tell.

I do think that life is tougher and there are more challenges to deal with as you get older. This can make one more negative and less hopeful. But I know that drinking on it has accelerated my depression and made me even more miserable. So I reckon drinking has played a huge factor on my depression.

I have been up and down the past 31 days of sobriety but not ONCE have I thought that life isn't worth living. I use to think like this often when I was drinking.
Old 02-25-2016, 03:02 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Hi Mish

Welcome aboard! The more the merrier!
Old 02-25-2016, 03:03 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mish View Post
Hi Everyone. I was in the January class but slipped up. Anyone mind if I hop on board? xxx
Come aboard Mish. Welcome
Old 02-25-2016, 03:04 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GoingNowhere View Post
Good morning class! What a fitful night, but I managed a few hours of sleep. Here's to a better day!
Well done GN. You can do this
Old 02-25-2016, 03:06 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cococo View Post
knb02

Yeah it is a safe and beautiful place to live. I live in a city that's on the coast. Im grateful for this.

You have a very positive and healthy attitude about your sobriety and sobriety in general.

I can understand how that woman would upset you - because you take your sobriety seriously. And she sounds as though shes there to stuff around.

I would avoid her like the plague. Steer well clear. Don't allow her to engage you in conversation. When/if you see her walking up to you, put your mobile to your ear and say "Hello" or walk in the opposite direction or if you cant avoid her, just stop her at the gate post, at her first word, and say "Sorry Im in a hurry today/tonight" or "Sorry I need the bathroom". That's what I would do. Do NOT let her presence upset you.

And absolutely talk with the supervisor of the group. Express your concern. You have a right to do that.
I only see her at this Wednesday group meeting so I need to make the decision of not going anymore. Will def speak to my counsellor
Old 02-25-2016, 03:06 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

knb02

That was a nice post to JL

I didn't have time to fully read it, but you did

You are lovely

Good idea, talk to your counsellor. I wouldn't just dump the Wednesday meeting like that. Is there another meeting? Can you not avoid her? Youll work it out Im sure. Keep us updated.

Night Everyone
Old 02-25-2016, 03:08 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Gosh Cococo. Is it midnight in New Zealand??
Old 02-25-2016, 03:32 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Welcome Mish! I've had a few false starts too, but I'm in for good this time. Still just getting through the first few ugly days. You can do this!
Old 02-25-2016, 03:52 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Morning everyone . Back to work ( sick but trying). Thanks ppl so so much for the thoughts. Prayers as well. I can't tak to anyone about stuff and I probably owe SR my well being over past couple of years.
I got my wife to talk a little last night. Let her know I love her and that when had felt bad to that point years back that I now, later realized that I was way off in my point of view, and I would be there, better and worse, for her.
All of the sudden my work worrying amount to jack- doodely . No importance in my life as a big picture.
I feel rough, but sober, and at this moment I have no fear of drinking over the weekend.
Old 02-25-2016, 03:55 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Hello class

Wecome to everyone that joined.

I had a better night last night didnt feel like crawling into bed as soon as I got home. I got some stuff sorted and had a mini pamper session then crawled into bed lol but I am definately over the tiredness again for now anyways.

Hope everyone is doing ok today will check in again later.
Old 02-25-2016, 04:03 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Hey Febs! Hello Clownbaby glad you came back. JL, can you shoot for a weekend with no drinking? Sounds like you need to be present for your wife right now. It will be so exciting to read Monday that you made it through the weekend! I feel for you.

Welcome to new members!! Hard to keep up if you miss a day here

I've been hit with a bad cold/laryngitis. I sound like an asthmatic smoking frog so laying low drinking kale juice. It's very disgusting but giving it a go. I
recommend it as a deterrant. After every sip of alcohol, you MUST have swig of kale juice That may be my plan next time AV chatters, will shut it right up.

Day 6 here, can't wait to hit double digits!

Stay strong all! End of month closing in let's do it!
Old 02-25-2016, 04:06 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Morning everyone.. Catching up on posts.

Day 26 for me. The last 2 evenings have been a challenge. When the cravings are at the worse I think of what it would be like to wake up the following morning, possible hung over, and terrible disappointed in myself.

This week end will be a challenge as well; yet I want to make it 4 week ends in a row!!

Happy Thursday folks