Notices

Class of October 2014 Part 27

Old 03-05-2016, 03:32 AM
  # 441 (permalink)  

Good morning gang.

A very busy end to the week as one of my associates had to be out for a family emergency. Not too long ago I would have resented the intrusion of all the extra work into time I set aside for alcohol.....not once appreciating the robust business I've worked for. Nowadays with a grateful heart I'm on my game and just roll with it.

Likely I'll be in Boston this summer for a conference. Any tips for best walking tours downtown? I'd like to see some of the history Boston offers.

Wishing each of you the best day.
Old 03-05-2016, 04:57 AM
  # 442 (permalink)  

I also had unexpected work that kept me there late yesterday! Lol And you're right, Mark. A couple of years ago, I was so stuck in my own routine that the interruption would have frustrated me tremendously. I probably would've made up an excuse to put it off until Monday, regardless of the impending stress it'd cause myself and others. Instead, I stayed late and now get to enjoy waking up today feeling accomplished, relieved that it's all done, and ready to play in the dirt! Sobriety is such good stuff.
Old 03-05-2016, 05:21 AM
  # 443 (permalink)  

Happy Saturday/Sunday, all.

Very busy day ahead.

Be back later.
Old 03-05-2016, 06:00 AM
  # 444 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Conquest View Post
Sobriety is such good stuff.
Yep, and so is playing in the dirt! Enjoy.

I hope you're feeling better today Leigh.
Old 03-05-2016, 08:20 AM
  # 445 (permalink)  

I could tell you've been busy all week Mark. That's good though. You planning on tackling any vine action today?

I hope it's a good Saturday for the rest of the team.
Old 03-05-2016, 08:44 AM
  # 446 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mark1014 View Post
Good morning gang.

A very busy end to the week as one of my associates had to be out for a family emergency. Not too long ago I would have resented the intrusion of all the extra work into time I set aside for alcohol.....not once appreciating the robust business I've worked for. Nowadays with a grateful heart I'm on my game and just roll with it.

Likely I'll be in Boston this summer for a conference. Any tips for best walking tours downtown? I'd like to see some of the history Boston offers.

Wishing each of you the best day.
Boston is a very good walking city, Mark! The Freedom Trail is the classic tour, and self-guided. You basically follow the red line through the city, and it takes you to the waterfront area, where you can get great meals. If you like seafood, I highly recommend Union Oyster House. It is the oldest restaurant in the city, I believe. Other good restaurants are Legal Seafoods, or any of a number of Italian places throughout the North End. It is the oldest restaurant in the city, I believe. I could have that fact wrong. Will you have a vehicle or time to get out of the city? If so, there is wonderful revolutionary history in Lexington, Bedford, and Concord. It is essentially the towns of Paul Revere's famous ride.

I do not dine in the city much, since we moved to this house, about 45 minutes out, but I can reach out to friends who go out more often and get you recommendations, if you like. I know my neighbors a few houses down go to Boston frequently.
Old 03-05-2016, 08:50 AM
  # 447 (permalink)  

How are you today, Leigh? And Briar?

I've been out to watch my son play basketball, and saw him make two great shots! I was a bit late, since hubby coaches, and needed the shower first. They go a bit early and I followed once I was ready. So, I missed some of the game. So glad I did not miss his baskets!

My daughter is still sick, and she is still asleep. It is nearly noon, and she is supposed to play a double header at 1. I don't think she will be playing today. I should probably wake her to see how she is, but I think she needs the rest, too. She also slept from about 4-11:30 last night, then was up for a couple of hours and went back to bed. I am not sure I have ever seen her sleep so much. She has not had a fever.

Maybe I should get a chicken and make a big pot of fresh chicken soup for dinner.
Old 03-05-2016, 11:14 AM
  # 448 (permalink)  

Phoebe, we'll likely be in the Westin waterfront. The self-guided Freedom Trail sounds perfect. While there, New England seafood will likely be the preference so your restaurant suggestion seems perfect. I may plan a day to get a car and go out and about, but time will be short and I don't want to do much driving. Wouldn't mind seeing that part of the Atlantic so if we can combine a bit of history and ocean scenery too it would be nice......maybe work in an oceanfront dining experience too. We really enjoyed that type thing when living in CA and it would be nice to try and recapture a bit of that.

Not much if any vine action today Arbor. We'll have house guests for spring break next week and I'm prepping the bed areas around the pool for new straw to be delivered and also working to get the pool ready for our guests if they feel like diving in. To be honest, I don't feel like doing too much today and that's a bit unusual.

Hope y'all are having a nice day.
Old 03-05-2016, 01:46 PM
  # 449 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

Hey guys, happy weekend!

Phoebe I'm sorry your daughter is sick, poor thing. I hope she gets better soon. Sounds like rest is what she needs (and chicken soup never hurts).

Yesterday I gave my statement of "injury" to the worker's comp insurance lady. She was very nice, and I think it went fine. I said nothing of my mental health history, and she didn't ask. It was very hard to talk about what I expect my work life to be like after my assistant leaves. Getting into the details makes gets me upset, but I controlled it pretty well. The lady said what's happening is outrageous and encouraged me to have good work boundaries. I mean, of course insurance companies are going to encourage you to mitigate the damage, but she had some good advice on stress management, and I agreed to try everything she suggested (including putting a mirror at my desk because apparently when you see a face, you automatically smile, which makes you happier...I kind of doubt that works for people with social anxiety, but whatever, I'll try anything). She told me to tell my doctor what's going on asap so they can start monitoring me for stress related injury, and I can file a formal lawsuit within a year if I wind up "injured." This is so bizarre, but I'm feeling better about it.

I haven't been able to control my eating disorder the past few days and am dropping a little weight. I'm supposed to present my "food diary" to a dietitian on Monday, which is going to be interesting to try to explain. She works with us crazy anorexics, though, so I'm sure this won't be totally strange to her. I know I need to eat more, but eating too much makes me feel like there's chaos inside my body, and I've got too much chaos going on around me and in my mind right now. I feel like more chaos will be overwhelming, and if I can control my eating, it will somehow hold everything else together. Yes, it's crazy, I know. I need to regain my focus on recovery, but it's very hard with all this other stuff going on.

Anyway, this morning I took baby girl to a birthday party for some random kid from school. Can the other parents here validate how totally freaking awkward those parties can be? Sheesh! It was fine, though, the kids had fun.

Planning to relax and refocus a bit this weekend. Probably making spaghetti for dinner. Still need to figure out what to do with 1,000 lemons...
Old 03-05-2016, 02:06 PM
  # 450 (permalink)  

It sounds like this claim is all in your best interest Briar, and I think the woman you spoke with has some good advice. Not sure about the mirror though, LOL. I wouldn't like that much....I would prefer to put a moving picture frame on my desk that held lovely images...your daughter, your mandalas, your beautiful photos. That would calm me, and make me smile.

It isn't at all surprising that this has made the ED more prevalent. Please, try not to beat yourself up. You have a lot to deal with, and we can't always manage all things at once....I am glad you are going to see your dietician. And yes, I'm sure she will completely understand.

More love. ♥
Old 03-05-2016, 02:10 PM
  # 451 (permalink)  

Obviously I know nothing about Boston Mark, but I bet you will love it! I'm still working on a way to get to NZ to meet with you at the end of the year. Did I just hear you say ?

Hope everyone who has been working too hard gets a break, and all who are sick get well.

I am very tired; I was up most of the night in pain. I ate pizza and it did not work out well. Never again.

Old 03-05-2016, 02:14 PM
  # 452 (permalink)  

Oh ~ by the way Briar, we were right about my sister's car accident NY Eve....the blood results came back, and she has now lost her license for a drug and driving offence. I spent hours over the last few days trying to talk sense into her....she is seriously considering appealing and lying to a magistrate. May I say OY?!
Old 03-05-2016, 04:09 PM
  # 453 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Briar View Post
Hey guys, happy weekend!

Phoebe I'm sorry your daughter is sick, poor thing. I hope she gets better soon. Sounds like rest is what she needs (and chicken soup never hurts).

Anyway, this morning I took baby girl to a birthday party for some random kid from school. Can the other parents here validate how totally freaking awkward those parties can be? Sheesh! It was fine, though, the kids had fun.

Planning to relax and refocus a bit this weekend. Probably making spaghetti for dinner. Still need to figure out what to do with 1,000 lemons...
Yes! Those parties can be very awkward! My daughter has food allergies, so I had to be there for much more, and much later in life than many, and face the judgement, of being that "food allergy mom." Ugh!! People just don't get that you can lose your child to food. Seriously. It takes some time to get them to where they can vet labels, and assert themselves to ask about ingredients. Anaphylaxis is no joke, though there are people out there who poke fun at life-threatening food allergies. Those young years were my worst, where my father's health was failing, and he needed me, and she was in early elementary school, and parties were constant, even in the classroom. Husband was travelling, and son was a toddler. Ugh!

Anyway, I totally get dealing with "stuff" while trying to put on that happy kid party face. I got fat and drunk. You get sick and skinny. two side of the same coin, I think.
Old 03-05-2016, 04:10 PM
  # 454 (permalink)  

You can PM me Mark, if you want more info, but you will love Boston! A coastal drive would be cool too. Marblehead, and Gloucester are amazing, and about an hour.
Old 03-05-2016, 05:17 PM
  # 455 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
Oh ~ by the way Briar, we were right about my sister's car accident NY Eve....the blood results came back, and she has now lost her license for a drug and driving offence. I spent hours over the last few days trying to talk sense into her....she is seriously considering appealing and lying to a magistrate. May I say OY?!
Oh no, venuscat; I am really sorry to hear that.

Yes, you can say OY.
Old 03-05-2016, 05:18 PM
  # 456 (permalink)  

I like the idea of hanging up pics of your mandalas, Briar. I'd love to have them in my office. The visual balance is very calming and peaceful.
And yes, some kid parties are totally awkward! I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one that thinks so. Lol

Boston sounds like such a fun place to visit! I've only been there briefly for a layover and would love to go back sometime, especially to experience a true autumn.

Down in Texas, I'm completely exhausted in a good way. Let me see if I can post pics without making them too huge....
Old 03-05-2016, 05:19 PM
  # 457 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
Obviously I know nothing about Boston Mark, but I bet you will love it! I'm still working on a way to get to NZ to meet with you at the end of the year. Did I just hear you say ?

Hope everyone who has been working too hard gets a break, and all who are sick get well.

I am very tired; I was up most of the night in pain. I ate pizza and it did not work out well. Never again.

Ugh; I've been there, v. So sorry to hear you were in so much pain.
Old 03-05-2016, 05:24 PM
  # 458 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by phoebe64 View Post
How are you today, Leigh? And Briar?

I've been out to watch my son play basketball, and saw him make two great shots! I was a bit late, since hubby coaches, and needed the shower first. They go a bit early and I followed once I was ready. So, I missed some of the game. So glad I did not miss his baskets!

My daughter is still sick, and she is still asleep. It is nearly noon, and she is supposed to play a double header at 1. I don't think she will be playing today. I should probably wake her to see how she is, but I think she needs the rest, too. She also slept from about 4-11:30 last night, then was up for a couple of hours and went back to bed. I am not sure I have ever seen her sleep so much. She has not had a fever.

Maybe I should get a chicken and make a big pot of fresh chicken soup for dinner.

So sorry to hear that your daughter is still sick; chicken soup is so nourishing and, somehow, healing.
Old 03-05-2016, 05:26 PM
  # 459 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post

Ugh; I've been there, v. So sorry to hear you were in so much pain.
Present tense; I am in a lot of pain.
Old 03-05-2016, 05:28 PM
  # 460 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Briar View Post
Hey guys, happy weekend!

Yesterday I gave my statement of "injury" to the worker's comp insurance lady. She was very nice, and I think it went fine. I said nothing of my mental health history, and she didn't ask. It was very hard to talk about what I expect my work life to be like after my assistant leaves. Getting into the details makes gets me upset, but I controlled it pretty well. The lady said what's happening is outrageous and encouraged me to have good work boundaries. I mean, of course insurance companies are going to encourage you to mitigate the damage, but she had some good advice on stress management, and I agreed to try everything she suggested (including putting a mirror at my desk because apparently when you see a face, you automatically smile, which makes you happier...I kind of doubt that works for people with social anxiety, but whatever, I'll try anything). She told me to tell my doctor what's going on asap so they can start monitoring me for stress related injury, and I can file a formal lawsuit within a year if I wind up "injured." This is so bizarre, but I'm feeling better about it.

I haven't been able to control my eating disorder the past few days and am dropping a little weight. I'm supposed to present my "food diary" to a dietitian on Monday, which is going to be interesting to try to explain. She works with us crazy anorexics, though, so I'm sure this won't be totally strange to her. I know I need to eat more, but eating too much makes me feel like there's chaos inside my body, and I've got too much chaos going on around me and in my mind right now. I feel like more chaos will be overwhelming, and if I can control my eating, it will somehow hold everything else together. Yes, it's crazy, I know. I need to regain my focus on recovery, but it's very hard with all this other stuff going on.

I'm really glad that your workmen's comp meeting went well, Briar. It sounds as though this woman may be another person 'on your side'.

1,000 lemons!!!! Could you sell a few to your local grocery store?

More lemon curd????