Do your best

Thank you D,

Hello Overs waiting on the internet installation person
Old 02-12-2016, 04:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Thanks for the new thread, Dee.

Hey Zip, at least you have an extra day to study for your test!
Old 02-12-2016, 05:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi all,

Haven't checked in for a while, so catching up on the previous thread is hopeless. I'm doing fine, but tired of being housebound given the blizzard and now the extreme cold. It's not too bad knowing that the worst of winter will be behind us in a couple of weeks. Also, really hasn't been much of a winter before late January.
Old 02-12-2016, 05:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FormerBeerLover View Post
Thanks for the new thread, Dee.

Hey Zip, at least you have an extra day to study for your test!
Zip, I love FBL's way of looking at it :-). Seriously, I'll be thinking of you having your test today.

Toots, as usual you have a delightfully pithy way of saying things.

FBL, here at the OFH (Old Folks' Home), we have a program every year on death and dying. No, it's not morbid! We had a good laugh this year when one of our 90-year-olds gently admonished the speakers for using the term "passing" instead of "dying", noting that passing only applies to some religions! I'm finding it liberating to not have to tiptoe around this very important subject.

Suicide of someone who is healthy and depressed is heartbreaking!
Old 02-12-2016, 06:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good morning.
I'm sitting outside with the sunrise.
My deep cleaning at the dentists turned into a bad tooth. I was lucky they got me in an hour later to remove the offender.
I guess my son has once again moved on from AGF. That leaves her here as my next door neighbor. I pray he gets himself together and confronts his own addiction issues. He still has not talked to me about the money he owes me or ignoring me at Christmas. A bit of denial? Of course he mentioned his father (my XAH) which triggered thoughts and memories in my alcoholic brain. Yuck! I am going to hit a couple meetings this weekend to refocus.
Good thoughts for your "test" Rusty.

A fabulous Friday to all.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oh wow guys, all this talk about death. I am terrified of it. I have definitely not made any kind of peace or headway towards being okay with the fact that my time here on earth is limited. I think about it sometimes, it kind of hits me, and it's usually a head shaker at that point and a reminder to stop taking things so seriously. But acceptance of my demise? Nope.
Good luck with the test RZ, I hope you do well
Our winter has been so mild, it's still averaging at about -2C and we've been having days up to 9C! And the forecast looks like it's going to stay that way until March! And then that will be winter!?? Unreal.
At least I've been able to go snowshoeing a bit.
I have another job interview next week at a paper right on the coast. I would LOVE to get this job.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Waiting on this internet installation person said between 12-6pm I got home in time by the skin of my teeth only to be sitting here waiting now and to think I was panicking lol

Have a nice day everyone
Old 02-12-2016, 06:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Overs

Happy Friday to you all and thanks for the new thread Dee.

S.W isn't that always the way re your Internet Installation guy. You'll be hanging around all afternoon and he'll probably call just before 6.

Hi F.B.L hope you have a good week end.

Keep warm G.H Day, I can't cope with being cold so I can't even begin to imagine how I would feel been housebound because of blizzards. Mind you, I'd probably be okay 'cos I'd more than likely be in hospital with hypothermia. Keep warm, spring isn't far away.

Hiya Saskia, I bet you get loads of laughs and revelations working in an old people's home. A few times when my dad was poorly and put on the Geriatric wards, some of the patients were hilarious with the tales they used to tell and the antics they got up to.

Imvalentine, I'm sorry to hear about your troubles with your son. Was he separated at birth from mine by any chance? I have one similar, every time I think he can't do any more 'damage' he goes and surpasses himself. I feel your pain.

Good luck with your interviews I.P.

I hope all goes well with your tests Rusty, thinking of you.

Must dash, school run time again. Have a great, sober weekend all of you.

Lots of love

Gxxxxx
Old 02-12-2016, 08:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Grace, ha ha! I don't work in an OFH - I live here :-). Btw, our youngest resident is 62. It's a "retirement community".

IP, I do understand your feelings on the subject. IMO, it's a lot like not worrying about something until it happens. I think that some of us start thinking about our mortality in our sixties. I wanted to have carefree years as a relief from many years of working crazy hours and living with loads of stress. I'm finding this to be a delightful time in my life - especially since I got sober.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Hello Overies?! We are Undies on the Under One year board, and I am not sure how you folks refer to yourselves, lol. I just passed ten months sober and really have had only one craving over the past few months and am living without alcohol fairly easily at this point.

I posted on my monthly thread that at 300 days, I am still searching for the boundless energy that I imagined that I would have not drinking.

I am thrilled not to be using alcohol to deal with everything in life. I used/abused alcohol for 30 plus years and only been sober for ten months. I just feel impatient to get on with my life.

At what point did you folks start to get back the energy and drive to take on life with the zeal that I thought would instantly grace me upon quitting drinking?

Like I posted on my monthly thread, this seems like such a trivial matter after escaping three plus decades of alcohol abuse. I want to live a new full life and meet new friends and do lots of things around my house that I have put off for years because of my drinking. I just think that I expected to be much further along at this point in my recovery.

I certainly don't want to come off as ungrateful, as I truly am thrilled to not be a slave to the bottle. Not drinking has virtually wiped away the crippling depression that affected me for months at a time and I feel so much better physically and mentally. I am truly grateful for so many things. I just feel that I have so much more potential, but no energy left to do anything after a day of work.

How long did it take you folks to truly recover from years of abuse and go on to truly feel you had the energy to go out and live life to the fullest?

Thanks!
Old 02-12-2016, 09:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Are you looking to do something like a diy project (decorating) or do you mean you thought you would have tons of energy ?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ething-do.html

At ten months your doing great
Old 02-12-2016, 09:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Thanks Sober Wolf. I'm just feeling frustrated with my lack of energy and drive at this point.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi stargazer. I was slightly impatient, wanting everything to happen when I got sober! Firstly, I don't have the daily drama with myself, life is so much calmer and in bring so helping me to live and think sober. Though it's not all roses, it's life after all, warts and all!

Sassy, so what's all this stuff you get up to???

Death, it came to me at an early age and took my brother away so it has always fascinating( I mean that in the most non morbid way) me. Never been scared of it but now, as I get older, I think about it and like everyone not ready to hang my iPad up yet! I heard a radio presenter explain it as ' death is like before you were born, you knew nothing of it then' whether that is true, who knows!
Old 02-12-2016, 09:56 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Stargazer, everybody's "recovery" time is different. I started feeling better almost right away, but I think I really started to get my energy back at around a year sober. I guess it was then that I realized I was in this sobriety thing for the long haul Looking forward to you becoming an official member of the overs soon!
Old 02-12-2016, 01:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

Watching kill the messenger with Jeremy renner (I loved him in hurt locker) we recently watched truth based on 'rathergate' and Killian document controversy we also watched lemurs of madagascar which is excellent & ride along 2 which is funny
Old 02-12-2016, 02:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Mags, I've never been so content or had more fun than here at the OFH right next to the ocean :-). I'm busier than ever but doing things I want to do rather than have to do. It's inspiring to see a 105 year old woman walking to the dining room and conversing with others! Many 90-somethings who still have all their marbles (and a few who don't). We have transportation to symphony, plays, opera, museums, etc etc. Today I needed to have a quiet day so I lounged around in my apartment. We have a full-scale exercise program and lots of other things. It was so worth saving money for this.

If I lose my marbles, they take care of me.
Old 02-12-2016, 02:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi stargazer

For me energy returned with some lifestyle changes - I had to learn to eat right, to exercise and to get a better sense of balance in my life. Being engaged in my community and challenging my mind regularly helped too

D
Old 02-12-2016, 02:56 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Do your best

That's amazing Saskia x

This kill the messenger film ain't half bad some shocking stuff in it I think the real guy had a book out
Old 02-12-2016, 03:43 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Magsie

Sounds idyllic Sass, near the ocean, wonderful. I'm so pleased you have an OFH like that. My step mum is 90 this year and living on her own as my dad passed. She is spritely and relatively good for her years. Keeps busy and has lots of friends.

Wolfie, kill the messenger sounds familiar. Will have to look it up.