Old 02-12-2016, 04:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Morning all!

Waking up to lots of things this morning:

- Day 39 of being stone cold sober
- My birthday - 35 years old today!
- Awaiting an offer from the new job I interviewed for
- Down 5.1 lbs in the last 9 days

Now, a normal person would be happy for all of the above, as they are generally positive things. Me? I keep thinking when will the other shoe drop? For example, I'm beating myself up that I haven't lost more weight, that I won't get the job because my references won't check out, that I'm pretty alone on my birthday after isolating pretty heavily the last 3 years, why I don't have a partner and haven't dated in 3+ years, etc. When will I ever just be content? Sigh. I hate this anxious, negative way I turn good into bad.

Anyway, not going to drink today. Going to celebrate the day with a dental cleaning, a hair appointment and, if the weather holds up, dinner with my parents.

Sounds like everyone is doing well - you guys rock! ddc4d
Old 02-12-2016, 05:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lulu212 View Post
Morning all!

Now, a normal person would be happy for all of the above, as they are generally positive things. Me? I keep thinking when will the other shoe drop? For example, I'm beating myself up that I haven't lost more weight, that I won't get the job because my references won't check out, that I'm pretty alone on my birthday after isolating pretty heavily the last 3 years, why I don't have a partner and haven't dated in 3+ years, etc. When will I ever just be content? Sigh. I hate this anxious, negative way I turn good into bad.

Anyway, not going to drink today. Going to celebrate the day with a dental cleaning, a hair appointment and, if the weather holds up, dinner with my parents.

Happy happy birthday LuLu!!!! What a great birthday tat to be 39 days sober!!!
Hope you have an amazing day... Lots of love and best wishes xxxx
Old 02-12-2016, 05:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm just quickly checking in- been reading posts but not had the time to post much. I'm almost finished day 33 sober. Went to an extra AA meeting tonight and got my 1 month coin/chip!!! So excited lol!!!! I carry my 24 hour one around in my wallet eVery day and it sometimes really helps!!
I've got a busy weekend ahead...the dreaded bbq on Sunday so I'll be staying very close to you all then..I suspect I might need some support...
Hope everyone is staying strong and sober. Sending lots of love xxx
Old 02-12-2016, 06:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
mav
just keep swimming

Happy Birthday Lulu! Hope you have a lovely sober today... i get how your mind is working focussing on the less positive angle of all the stuff you've achieved. Don't know what the answer is, but you definitely need to give yourself some sort celebratory birthday meal/cake/treat/herbal tea to congratulate yourself on starting to turn things around. Things have a funny habit of working out (when you least expect them... like the karma call from earlier in the thread!)

Good luck tomorrow Nic - you can do this and of course everyone's here to help you through it.

I'm starting to lose count a bit of my days... I guess it's 43 now which is pretty cool. Looking forward to 50. I navigated my boozy shindig last evening just fine. Quite interesting really as a lot of my colleagues were drinking... some got quite drunk and now realise what it's like to talk to a drunk person when you're sober and the amount of cr4p that comes out of their mouths. (So exactly like I was when I was drinking.) I also randomly bumped in to the guy i mentioned earlier (the chap from the documentary) so had a chat with him. That was really nice... a bit of smalltalk, avoiding the subject, then he eventually said "So what it's like doing an event like this sober...!?" - at which point we just started talking properly. Was very helpful.

I had my follow-up appointment with the nurse for blood tests this morning. Should get the results mid next-week.

Have a great weekend all - i've got some guests staying which could be interesting (they'll want a drink) but should be fine... although looks like my 2 year old has got chicken pox so that's not going to be fun.
Old 02-12-2016, 07:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday Lulu!!! As others have shared on this site, sobriety is only the beginning of change, so don’t dwell on the negative thoughts, enjoy your successes to date and have a lovely birthday celebration with your parents this evening.

I hope you feel better soon, Olivia!

Well done on the social event, MAV! Keep your guard up this weekend, house guests, alcohol in the house, and a two-year old with chick pox sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Don’t forget that you still have the option of not going to the BBQ Nic, but if you do go, try MAVs strategy of being an observer and witnessing the effect alcohol has on the unsuspecting guests. It should be an eye-opening experience.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Morning all!

Lulu, lots to celebrate for you!! Happy Birthday, enjoy your hair appointment and dinner with your parents. Fingers crossed that your job offer comes through today!!

❤️Delilah
Old 02-12-2016, 08:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MAV View Post
Happy Birthday Lulu! Hope you have a lovely sober today... i get how your mind is working focussing on the less positive angle of all the stuff you've achieved. Don't know what the answer is, but you definitely need to give yourself some sort celebratory birthday meal/cake/treat/herbal tea to congratulate yourself on starting to turn things around. Things have a funny habit of working out (when you least expect them... like the karma call from earlier in the thread!)

Good luck tomorrow Nic - you can do this and of course everyone's here to help you through it.

I'm starting to lose count a bit of my days... I guess it's 43 now which is pretty cool. Looking forward to 50. I navigated my boozy shindig last evening just fine. Quite interesting really as a lot of my colleagues were drinking... some got quite drunk and now realise what it's like to talk to a drunk person when you're sober and the amount of cr4p that comes out of their mouths. (So exactly like I was when I was drinking.) I also randomly bumped in to the guy i mentioned earlier (the chap from the documentary) so had a chat with him. That was really nice... a bit of smalltalk, avoiding the subject, then he eventually said "So what it's like doing an event like this sober...!?" - at which point we just started talking properly. Was very helpful.

I had my follow-up appointment with the nurse for blood tests this morning. Should get the results mid next-week.

Have a great weekend all - i've got some guests staying which could be interesting (they'll want a drink) but should be fine... although looks like my 2 year old has got chicken pox so that's not going to be fun.
Sorry your little one has the chicken pox.:-(
Old 02-12-2016, 08:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Today kicks off a four day weekend for me. I am going to go to Zumba with my daughters this morning, it should be entertaining since they have never taken the class before, and my dance skills are pretty much equal to Elaine's from Seinfeld.

I love being a part of such a supportive group, thanks to each of you. 43 days for me today, and feeling good.;-)

I finished reading Mrs. D is Going Without, it was a good memoir of anyone is looking for something to read.

Happy Friday!!
Old 02-12-2016, 08:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Congrats on your 39 days, Lulu. Many of us have a tendency to see the clouds rather than the silver lining -- I can be that way too. One thing that helps me in that regard is a gratitude list. At the end of each day, I enter a list of the things for which I'm grateful into a notebook. During the day, I think about what I might want to enter. And especially when I start getting down on myself, I start thinking about what I'll write at the end of the day.

Originally Posted by Nic233 View Post
I'm just quickly checking in- been reading posts but not had the time to post much. I'm almost finished day 33 sober. Went to an extra AA meeting tonight and got my 1 month coin/chip!!! So excited lol!!!! I carry my 24 hour one around in my wallet eVery day and it sometimes really helps!!
I've got a busy weekend ahead...the dreaded bbq on Sunday so I'll be staying very close to you all then..I suspect I might need some support...
Hope everyone is staying strong and sober. Sending lots of love xxx
Congratulations, ma'am. Stay strong!

I navigated my boozy shindig last evening just fine. Quite interesting really as a lot of my colleagues were drinking... some got quite drunk and now realise what it's like to talk to a drunk person when you're sober and the amount of cr4p that comes out of their mouths. (So exactly like I was when I was drinking.)
Even when I was a drinker, I couldn't stand being around drinkers if I was sober. Funny I wasn't smart enough to get the damned hint.

Best wishes for you and your family.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Day 30 for me. It just occurred to me that I hadn't really thought about "my Friday night plan." It feels like the new normal has taken root on my historically heaviest drinking night. I'll stay aware and know what is mentally occupying if needed (and might go catch a movie with friends). Watching several of the youtube-available documentaries people have posted about in recent days has helped cement things more for me.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday Lulu! Congrats on 30 days Aly!

I wanted to check in and say hello. Last night, one of my favorite bands of all time was in town. I was fairly anxious/slightly nervous about going as the show was at a bar, that happens to have a stage. However, I've been actively working on doing things I enjoy and not obsessing over not drinking. Live music happens to be one of those things. Long story short, it ended up being a great time and first time I've ever seen this band sober. Funny thing was I noticed plenty of other people not drinking. Huh... Go figure...

Also, day 30 for me today. Thank you all and happy Friday!
Z
Old 02-12-2016, 02:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congrats on 30, Aly, and on getting out and having a great time sober, Zeets.

She got my card today, and we had a long, sweet conversation. I'm not sure where we'll end up, but I'm at peace with all the possibilities, and happy for that fact.
Old 02-12-2016, 02:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Lulu, 5.1 pounds in 9 days is a lot. Weight Watchers says not to lose more than 2 pounds a week to be healthy. So congratulate yourself for sobriety, birthday, and for losing weight faster than average!!!
Old 02-12-2016, 02:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

43 days today.
Old 02-12-2016, 03:54 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

Hey everyone--checking in with our wonderful Jan. class! I've been following along but have been too tired to post last couple of days. This week was unusually busy with meetings & social events and alcohol was in abundance each time.

One more event was on my calendar tonight and while getting ready for it, I knew it was time to say NO. I'm tired mentally and physically and I don't want to tempt my AV. It felt good to say NO even though my presence is expected.

So I'm here with you all plus a nice healthy dinner, a good cup of tea and some light exercise and meditation on this 'quiet by my choice' Friday evening.

Nic -- thinking about you and the BBQ this weekend! It's okay to say NO if you're worried you might drink. But if you do go, stay close and know we're right waiting for you with support!

Lulu -- Happy Sober Birthday! What a huge achievement ---you should be so Proud of YOU!!

Thump -- Yay, so happy for you that you sent your card and made your peace. Whatever happens you did this for you and it's pretty cool that you two talked!

So many good things going on with everyone---and I'm happy to be right here on SR!

Delilah -- Thank you SO much for your post! I was struggling with that one and now have many mindful choices. And you're right, it's a good list whether or not one observes Lent.

Odelle -- always enjoy your posts. You're so thoughtful and give such level headed insight. The right job will come along for you, when your mind and body are ready for it!

Olivia -- hope you feel better soon! Same to you Sunflower---those long lasting nasty coughs are hard on the body and so wearing.

Congrats on all the milestones today! And thanks for your Support!
Old 02-12-2016, 03:56 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Good morning beautiful people. Wow, everyone is doing so well.
Happy birthday Lulu. I hope you celebrate your day. It's definitely an emotional time for us all. But, we'd prefer to be emotional while sober than drunk. Take it easy on yourself and enjoy your special day.
Well done on a 30 day chip, Nic. That's so cool. Unfortunately I don't have access to any meetings, the support sounds amazing! All the best for your BBQ. I'm sure it won't be as bad as you imagine but it's better to prepare for worst case scenario just in case.
Nice job Zeebs and MAV for getting through social events. I haven't really been in the position yet - I will be tomorrow - so I'll follow your leads.
Nice to hear the card had a good outcome, Thump. You sound so positive and happy. It's amazing what a little clear thinking and small action can do for us. Good on you!
I love Zumba, Delilah. Dance away! 43 days is awesome. KDB, congrats on 43 days too.
30 days is awesome RalyAly. I'm on 20 today and keep thinking I have 10 days to go! Very dangerous thinking which I need to snap out of. Obviously, I still have gaps in my life that were filled with alcohol for far too long. I'm doing a lot of reading and reflecting. This is a lifetime change so I want to give myself the best chance to make that possible. That means take things slow. Be grateful for the positive changes and let go of the guilt and negativity. The latter has minutely progressed. Not really sure what forgive myself means yet.
Feeling good today. I'm volunteering at a kindergarten today. Their little happy faces are very contagious.
Wishing you all a nice day/night.
Take care.
Old 02-12-2016, 05:46 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bandicoot2 View Post
Thump -- Yay, so happy for you that you sent your card and made your peace. Whatever happens you did this for you and it's pretty cool that you two talked!

That's exactly what I told her, Bandi -- "I did this as much for myself as for telling you anything" -- and explained to her the dream.

I clearly have a lot more processing to do so far as my guilt goes, but it feels good to me that she accepts that, and who cares how it winds up ... if she forgives me, great, and if she can't or won't, that's fine too. Judging from the conversation today she's in a good place too, and I'm happy for her being there, no matter what happens betwixt us.

Moments like this remind me how far I have yet to go. Yes, I know, ODAAT, but I have always looked to the horizon. Doing so today reminds me that the future is wide-open, and that I'm best served by being ready for anything. Approach life with humility, and understand how fleeting desires are, let go of the past and the future, that's the way I'm seeing things right now.
Old 02-12-2016, 05:55 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 30 days, RallyAly!

Happy Birthday Lulu, enjoy your evening!

Thump,

Bandi, thank you for your encouraging words. Enjoy your evening!

Yay Sandy, 3 weeks tomorrow! I would have loved to have been a kindergarten teacher, at that age, the kids are just adorable!

Day 36 coming to an end, I just need to walk the dog (walk myself in reality) and I can call it a day.
Old 02-12-2016, 07:15 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Happy Birthday Lulu. You're not alone, you have the whole class with you.

Sounds like everyone's doing well as we head into the weekend .