Notices

Class Of January 2016 Support Thread part 6

Old 02-16-2016, 05:25 PM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Good Morning my January Lovelies,
I feel quite neglectful to this page..I used to post so often and try and keep up with everything that's happening but I'm finding it quite hard to find my balance lately ....I'm feeling a little overwhelmed and completely exhausted!!!!
Like many of us, I have gone from having practically no life outside of work, because of my commitment to the bottle... I was always unable to drive on an evening as I would be over the limit 20 mins after arriving home. And now it seems I am never home... Life just got so busy so quickly....Sobriety takes a lot of time and effort !!!haha
I'm now on day 38 of being sober which is great but I'm feeling a little burnt out! I've been meeting with my Sponsor once a week, and going to about 4 AA meetings a week too. It's all a juggle being a single Mum, working Full time and I also start studying again in 2 weeks time(to finish my degree).
Is anyone else finding that it's all a bit of a struggle sometimes?
Maybe I'm just having a bad week, and it will all settle down. We do have relatives visiting my Parents from overseas which is also time consuming so I think that probably contributes to my tiredness right now. I may just have to look at managing my time better, and only doing a couple of AA meetings each week... At least I have this SR page for support too.
Really sorry to whine and moan.. Back to work
Old 02-16-2016, 05:27 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Hi guys!

All good here. Quite a while ago we bought a home blood pressure/heart beat device. It's plenty accurate. Anyway, my husband's heart rate has gone from 90 to 60! His BP is even lower (yet he's on meds for BP). If he keeps going the doc may lower his dosage or maybe he can get off meds! My heart beat went from 80 to 67 so that's good. My BP has always been low yet sneaking upwards mostly due to the drink! You just don't realize how bad the affect of alcohol is until you physically start monitoring yourself. Very interesting. Very motivating to say the least.
Gonna try to get a handle on sweets real soon. We both are starting to curb.

Read two crime novels. David Baldacci's GUILTY and Harlan Coben THE STRANGER. Both very good. The Stranger was REALLY intense! Just love my books! Got my MP3 up and running again for my hypnosis stuff. Yay!

Gotta get back to some office work. Knocked out two novels and really need to be on my winter clean up stuff!

Stay strong! Carry on! I love that one too Bandi!

Carry on!

Olivia.
Old 02-16-2016, 06:07 PM
  # 123 (permalink)  

Nic - I hope your tooth gets sorted out quickly.
I have found ongoing pain/discomfort can be really tiring to cope with, even when I shove it to the background.
No doubt you're having a lot of stimulating conversation with your relatives too - all these kinds of experiences add up and require 'processing'.
I'm sure things will settle down for you, and you are wise to consider how you manage your time.
I'm the other way and really need to start gently adding in a little more activity and stimulation Balance is the thing.
Olivia - that's great news about the BP and pulse readings. I have a meter also, haven't checked it out for several weeks, must do so.
Also, great that you are enjoying reading. It's good to be able to concentrate!
Best wishes to all; carry on
Old 02-16-2016, 07:58 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  

Caramel - it IS so nice to be able to read and remember what I read ! So many times I'd have to reread the previous night's pages... Or have to piece together who's who again in the book! I really wouldn't haven 't had been able to keep up with all the characters in The Stranger!!

Now back to REWIRING MY BRAIN book!
Old 02-16-2016, 08:11 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  

M1A1, I hope you didn’t give in to the AV, despite the stress you are under. Hang in there, while it is emotionally difficult for you, you are present there for your father, something you should be very proud of.

Miss Nic, it’s okay to take a day off once and a while for some much needed R & R; it seems you’re enjoying your sobriety life so much that you are wearing yourself out!

For the most, everyone sounds so upbeat and positive – we’ve come a long way, baby!

Day 40 winding down in my house, I’m sore and achy from my gym intro yesterday, so I fell back on walking the dog this evening. Carry on all!
Old 02-16-2016, 08:53 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Odelle View Post
M1A1, I hope you didn’t give in to the AV, despite the stress you are under. Hang in there, while it is emotionally difficult for you, you are present there for your father, something you should be very proud of.

Miss Nic, it’s okay to take a day off once and a while for some much needed R & R; it seems you’re enjoying your sobriety life so much that you are wearing yourself out!

For the most, everyone sounds so upbeat and positive – we’ve come a long way, baby!

Day 40 winding down in my house, I’m sore and achy from my gym intro yesterday, so I fell back on walking the dog this evening. Carry on all!
LOL Odelle- I wish it was a case of living the goodlife but it all seems to be AA meetings!!! I think I might book a massage or spa afternoon one weekend and treat myself! I'm saving money not drinking so I can do more !!
Old 02-16-2016, 08:55 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Olivia2011 View Post
Caramel - it IS so nice to be able to read and remember what I read ! So many times I'd have to reread the previous night's pages... Or have to piece together who's who again in the book! I really wouldn't haven 't had been able to keep up with all the characters in The Stranger!!

Now back to REWIRING MY BRAIN book!
Oh Olivia I relate to that!!! That's why I gave up uni! Couldn't remember what I had learnt! I would watch a movie and not remember if I had finished watching it or not!!! Yay for sober memories!
Old 02-16-2016, 08:57 PM
  # 128 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Caramel View Post
Nic - I hope your tooth gets sorted out quickly.
I have found ongoing pain/discomfort can be really tiring to cope with, even when I shove it to the background.
No doubt you're having a lot of stimulating conversation with your relatives too - all these kinds of experiences add up and require 'processing'.
I'm sure things will settle down for you, and you are wise to consider how you manage your time.
I'm the other way and really need to start gently adding in a little more activity and stimulation Balance is the thing.
Olivia - that's great news about the BP and pulse readings. I have a meter also, haven't checked it out for several weeks, must do so.
Also, great that you are enjoying reading. It's good to be able to concentrate!
Best wishes to all; carry on
Thanks Caramel.... I'm hoping the tooth stays ok too... Fingers crossed!
Luckily I only have to pop into my Parents house every couple of days and do the polite catch up with the rellies... It's mainly tough as they are all drinking... Not to worry.. I have my coffee, sparkling water, and herbal teas lol!
Old 02-16-2016, 10:36 PM
  # 129 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone. I few good posts here about improved health, better pulse rates and blood pressure readings. Good to see some pleasing results. Just checking in on day 48 (wow thats gone quick) Have a great day everyone.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:47 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pedro1234 View Post
Hi Everyone. I few good posts here about improved health, better pulse rates and blood pressure readings. Good to see some pleasing results. Just checking in on day 48 (wow thats gone quick) Have a great day everyone.
Well done on 48 days Pedro!! That's fantastic x
Old 02-17-2016, 03:28 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  

Just a quick check in on day 44.

Can't wait for my follow up appt next week with the dr to get my latest test results. I'm hoping there's some improvement with my liver levels. Even if not, I know I'm getting healthier.

BP: mine was ridiculously high and was afraid I'd be put on meds. Last visit was totally normal after just 2 weeks sober. My pulse is still high 80-90s, but I think that has more to do with being fat then alcohol.

Have a good day all!
Old 02-17-2016, 03:38 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  
On the road of happy destiny

Today is Day 30 for me. I'll add myself to the crew with improved heart rates - I've gone from 78 to 71 in a month. That's not a huge drop but I was only binge drinking once or twice a week, so it's a decent improvement I think.

I've been slammed at work lately. I worked 8:30 am - 7:30 pm, went home and put my daughter to bed, and got back on the laptop till 11:00 pm. I'm tired but my anxiety levels are not bad and more important, my mind is so much sharper, thank God. I was honestly worried about my memory and now, it's back. Yay!

I wish I had more time to catch up but I've gotta get back to the grind. Stay strong, all!
Old 02-17-2016, 05:49 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  

Nic223 I really struggle sometimes with keeping up with all the family stuff. My boys are into quite a few things and they take up much of my free time. I rarely have a day when one of them doesn't have something on. Sometimes I feel resentful but it's better running round after them than sitting at home in front of the TV.

At work today but it's so quiet. I'm considering applying for an employed position which is something I never wanted to do. It would mean a regular income but I would be giving up so much freedom if I did that which I rely on when it comes to my kids. I just don't know how to find clients on my own and am not getting enough work to keep the family going. I'm embarrassed about how little I earn and it plagues me. I feel such a failure. I've even considered in the past that if I died the family would get my life insurance and that might be enough to set them up so they won't need to worry. How ridiculous is that? I know they would rather be poor and have me around but I find everything so difficult sometimes. I don't want to die I just want a break and to stop struggling. It would be amazing to do what other people do like eat out and take the kids out for the day somewhere without having to count the pennies. Oh and to be able to get the house fixed - it needs so much work doing to it.

Sorry to keep moaning on here but to everyone else everything is fine. The only person who knows what's going on is my partner and he is struggling as much as me, he feels so bad he can't find work.

It's good to hear some of you are rediscovering reading and studying. I was already an alcoholic when I was at university (15 years ago now!). How I got through it I don't know! I've just stock piled a few books hoping to get back into reading. Unfortunately I have just become addicted to the walking dead and am only just starting series 3 - got a good few more episodes before I catch up to the new series. I did the same last summer with Game of Thrones. Can't wait for that to come back on.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:28 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

Hello my beautiful/handsome, strong and smart classmates,

What say we adopt 'Carry On' as our official class motto?

Here is a link to the origins 'Keep Calm and Carry On' Very interesting!

History - Keep Calm and Carry On Poster

Caramel---I believe you were the first to say this?

My silly 2 cents for the day:-)

Thinking of all of you and sending Big Hugs! Delilah---where do you find that pretty red heart?
Old 02-17-2016, 09:33 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Hiya all. Still under the weather, called in sick today and taking bed rest and coffee. Will make a fruit soda in a little bit -- fresh pineapple, strawberries, blueberries, pureed and mixed with mineral water. I have tomorrow and the day after off as well, so I'll stay in and rest.

Charlie, sometimes you have to bite the bullet and take the job you don't want -- I'm sure you know that -- but there's nothing saying that it's a permanent move, either, right? Believe me, to your children you're worth so much more alive, and that's talking from your own perspective -- can insurance money teach them right from wrong? Can insurance money convey your values?

Of course not. We've all had hard times, myself included. Hang in there, bud.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:54 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

Aw Thump, so sorry to hear you're still not feeling well. Bed rest, tasty fluids and 3 days off work sounds like a good remedy. ((Hugs))
Old 02-17-2016, 10:01 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

Hi M1A1----you've been in my thoughts and prayers. It takes a lot of inner strength to sit by, care for and watch a dying loved one. Drunk or sober, you'll always know you were there for your father in the end.

In my case and in retrospect (which is always easy to do), I would wave a magic wand and be sober when my mother was dying. It wouldn't have helped the pain but I would have done a better job taking care of her affairs.

Thinking of you.... ((Hugs))
Old 02-17-2016, 12:00 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bandicoot2 View Post
Hi M1A1----you've been in my thoughts and prayers. It takes a lot of inner strength to sit by, care for and watch a dying loved one. Drunk or sober, you'll always know you were there for your father in the end.

In my case and in retrospect (which is always easy to do), I would wave a magic wand and be sober when my mother was dying. It wouldn't have helped the pain but I would have done a better job taking care of her affairs.

Thinking of you.... ((Hugs))
I think I'll add AA to the kit bag. I googled locations for meetings and there's one across the street from the hospital (talk about a sign).
Old 02-17-2016, 01:43 PM
  # 139 (permalink)  

Thanks, bandicoot, that's a favourite motto of mine - and in the finish, what else can we do?
As Piglet in Winnie The Pooh said (after he'd been knocked down by an exploding balloon and didn't know where he was) "Well, even if I'm in the moon, I needn't be face downwards all the time" ...
charlie - best wishes to you, I hope you can plan things to give you all you need, materially, time-wise, and in feeling fulfilled and enriched each day.
Take care, all Carry on
Old 02-17-2016, 02:05 PM
  # 140 (permalink)  
mav
just keep swimming

Originally Posted by charliesworld View Post

At work today but it's so quiet. I'm considering applying for an employed position which is something I never wanted to do. It would mean a regular income but I would be giving up so much freedom if I did that which I rely on when it comes to my kids. I just don't know how to find clients on my own and am not getting enough work to keep the family going. I'm embarrassed about how little I earn and it plagues me. I feel such a failure. I've even considered in the past that if I died the family would get my life insurance and that might be enough to set them up so they won't need to worry. How ridiculous is that? I know they would rather be poor and have me around but I find everything so difficult sometimes. I don't want to die I just want a break and to stop struggling. It would be amazing to do what other people do like eat out and take the kids out for the day somewhere without having to count the pennies. Oh and to be able to get the house fixed - it needs so much work doing to it.

Sorry to keep moaning on here but to everyone else everything is fine. The only person who knows what's going on is my partner and he is struggling as much as me, he feels so bad he can't find work.
What line of work are you in?