Notices

Class of February 2016 Support Thread Part 2

Old 02-09-2016, 05:29 PM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Day 3 for me. Feeling exhausted. Hope you are ok camryn? Please check in.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:53 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Wow, I didn't expect such an outpouring of support. I'm incredibly grateful to each of you that responded.

I laid down for a while. Emotionally I feel the same but the urge and thoughts of drinking are gone. I think I'm going to go get some ice cream and then turn in for the night.

Thank you, guys. Seriously. Y'all having my back means so much.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:57 PM
  # 123 (permalink)  

Woot woot Cam!

Let me know what flavor y'all are choosing tonight! I have plain old vanilla!
Old 02-09-2016, 05:59 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  

Glad you checked in, Camryn. Enjoy your ice cream!
Old 02-09-2016, 06:00 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Glad to hear Camryn great job!
Old 02-09-2016, 06:07 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  

Thank you guys again.

AK, I'm gonna rock the mint chocolate chip.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:07 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  

Good to hear Cam.

Nice job everybody - another successful day sober. Hoping for some solid sleep tonight.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:12 PM
  # 128 (permalink)  

Good news coming across camryn !
Bad day at work. Bad weather, home alone, wife and kids at moms, for a Safer drive in. Depressing !!!!
Not even giving it a chance. Sleep asap.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:19 PM
  # 129 (permalink)  

Sorry you had a rough day, JL. Maybe a good, quiet night's sleep will be just what you need. Hope you get to feeling better.

Ice cream sounds good now, but I don't have any in the house and I really am pretty darn comfortable in my pajamas right now. Think I'll pass on the ice cream and just stay comfortable in my bed watching a little television.

Thanks to everyone who's kept this thread going today. This early sobriety stuff is rough on all of us but it's cool to see all the support happening here all day long.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:37 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Cam- great job coming here and posting in the midst of a craving and then making it through to the other side. You will be so grateful when you wake up tomorrow!

Ladybug, Glad your little girl had a nice birthday and that you were sober for it. Tonight my daughters (18 and 14) and I were talking about some old fun memories over the years and it just hit me how fast time goes and how I wish I slowed down and paid attention more back then. I guess I thought I was and I was doing the best I could but they are such precious times, once you get past the hecticness of it all. Enjoy your little ones

Chinaski, jan 29th was a year since my father passed away, I know how hard it is. He and I were so close, I feel like my life will never feel right without him, there is such an emptiness. But I often think also how proud he would be to see me working so hard at sobriety, even though I have a long way to go.

Today I had a huge desire for wine. At work I thought how nice it would be to go home to a glass of wine. I knew I was going to my moms for dinner so it wasn't going to happen, but I told myself maybe tomorrow. For 18 days I had very few cravings and now after a slip they are back full force. I really need to have my guard up tomorrow. I can tell already. My plan is to exercise after work and have dinner cook in the crockpot all day so I can eat right after rather than having to cook. Hunger is my biggest trigger.

This is really a strong class, I'm grateful for each of you...
Old 02-09-2016, 07:01 PM
  # 131 (permalink)  

Yay cam! And way to muscle through a craving FABL!

Day 8 ending. Wow was I amped up earlier at work. After visiting a friend after work at his senior home I feel I've gained a lot more perspective. Work is just work.

Thankful I'm on day 8. Memories of my slip last week have kept me afloat for now. I never want to go back there again!
Old 02-09-2016, 07:33 PM
  # 132 (permalink)  

forabetterlife -- Good on you for not giving in to those cravings today. Sounds like you have a good plan for tomorrow. Of course, hope you'll also include staying close to SR as a part of that plan too. Hunger is also a big trigger for me, though I think of the HALT ones, it's L that gets me the most.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:59 PM
  # 133 (permalink)  

Good morning all. I'm in charge at work today

Worried whether I will cope...eating too much crap and feeling fat...but hey I'm still sober 👍😊

Have a good day everyone. Much love ❤️
Old 02-10-2016, 01:03 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Hiya,

I'm on my 6th day and starting to feel better. Getting sober conicided with a head injury and a bout of flu, so it's been an interesting few days!

I will have a scar on my forehead, possibly quite large, but it will give me a constant reminder of the time I turned my life around.

The flu has also helped. Firstly, it's given me time off work to think about my recovery. People say I'm uptight, and I've discovered online hypnosis and relaxation sessions that I can listen to on headphones. I haven't let go and relaxed like that in years! They've also given me a vision of the future that is making me really excited. I can see myself with my family, on holiday and celebrating birthdays, but without the drunkeness, hangovers and irritability. My children and wife having the sober father they deserve, and showing everyone that the heavy drinker who is constantly getting into stupid situations is not really me, I'm better than that. I want to go to weddings and talk to people, get to know my wider family again like I did when I was younger, instead of heading to the nearest bar and drinking until I need help just getting to bed. Waking up early and enjoying the surroundings, instead of avoiding breakfast and then skulking out in the hope I won't have to face anyone.

I've stopped drinking coffee at the same time as the booze. It wasn't intentional, it's just happened. I was drinking a lot, it was like a daytime substitute for booze. Being ill has meant I've been eating healthy, no sugar at all. Maybe those cravings will come.

It was pancake day yesterday in the UK and my 5 year old son asked to make some when he got home from school. I gave him my usual negative response; too late, too tired, we already have dinner. And then something switched in me, and I could feel his disapointment. So I said okay and he must have stirred that batter for half an hour! They were great pancakes. When he woke up this morning he came straight out of his room and thanked me for the pancakes. I didn't know what to say.

Sorry to ramble, I got emotional writing this. I only came on to say it's day 6 and stay alcohol free everyone.

Old 02-10-2016, 01:52 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  

Supersonic- I've quit coffee too. I actually stopped drinking it just before Xmas to see if it would help my anxiety, and it has helped enormously. Now to just get rid of the wine habit Xx my day 3 is about to come to and end. Really looking forward to when I can say that I've done a week.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:57 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  

Glad to hear from you camryn. Hang in there. We are all in this together.
I'm interested in the YouTube hypnosis. Might have a look and see if I can find a good one.
Old 02-10-2016, 02:10 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  

SansaS - I could never give up my tea first thing, but I'm going to replace the daytime coffees with water. I think caffeine is every bit as addictive as alcohol and nicotine, and it's affect on mood and wellbeing is under estimated. Enjoy each alcohol free day as it passes, and the weeks will soon rack up.
Old 02-10-2016, 02:14 AM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Thank you. I love a sneaky Diet Coke here and there as my treat. I was starting to get really anxious and addicted to the coffee, so have felt better since I've given that up.
Old 02-10-2016, 02:22 AM
  # 139 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SansaS View Post
I'm interested in the YouTube hypnosis. Might have a look and see if I can find a good one.
I've been listening to this one since I stopped and it's really helped. If I feel myself getting anxious or down then I find it brings me out of it, I can't tell you if it's one of the better ones because I have very limited experience of them, but I'm happy with it.

https://youtu.be/V-I8yYKJdZ4
Old 02-10-2016, 02:44 AM
  # 140 (permalink)  

Checking in and catching up on posts.

Still in a funk mentally, trying to keep myself together.
Reading here, and reading a few books as well, to keep myself occupied in a healthy way.

@5upersonic, glad you are feeling better. Ive had more then a few accidents that caused me injury, due to drinking. Know how that feels. So loved your story on the pancakes with your son. Its those little precious moments that really stand out, when we are sober and can enjoy them. Great stuff.

SansaS, I quit caffeine 15 years ago. Its still hard to wake up in the am for me, but found out a brisk walk wakes me up better then any caffeine does.

Hope everyone has a good, sober today.