Notices

Class of February 2016 Support Thread Part 2

Old 02-15-2016, 07:47 AM
  # 441 (permalink)  

Good morning all. Today is my Day 50! This is my 4th real attempt at sobriety and I joined this class to help me get through this "danger zone" of mine where I have normally gone back to drinking around this point, my record long being 59 days. I just couldn't quite make that 2 month mark. It's around this time where, after laying low, my AV just pops up out of nowhere and it's this whole body intense longing for a glass of wine. I experienced it again this past weekend and it seems to be getting more frequent. I have noticed that it tends to happen on a nice sunny day when I have gotten a lot accomplished, my AV goes into overdrive and expects its typical reward.

I have been busy planning my son's birthday party which is this weekend. I am an introvert and don't especially enjoy parties or party planning so I will need to be majorly vigilant after this party is over b/c I anticipate my AV will be right there center stage clamoring for a reward! What seems to be helping me this time as opposed to the past though is to just completely change my thoughts. I used to "reason" with my AV about why drinking wasn't a good idea, but in doing that, it's like I made drinking an option. One I obviously didn't want to take, but at that point it was there on the table... This time I am working on refusing to even think about it. I acknowledge the urge, then dismiss it entirely and immediately distract myself with something else - ask my kids to play a game, gather them up to go get a smoothie, anything! Just to change the channel completely. No arguing, no reasoning, just shut down the thought entirely and refusing to give it any space in my head.

I hope everyone has a great day today and congrats Outonthetiles on your engagement!
Old 02-15-2016, 07:54 AM
  # 442 (permalink)  

Amazingjoy welcome to the group!

Good morning Februarians,
Still here still sober. Day 10. Just dealing with all the feelings of daily life. Over the weekend a friend who I haven't seen in years offered to take me out for a beer for my upcoming birthday and I thought about it for a while before turning him down. I'm so glad I did. I had a wonderful weekend with no guilt. From the drunk texts he was sending me yesterday, I'm sure he's not feeling so well today.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:20 AM
  # 443 (permalink)  

Amazing Joy.. Welcome to the February thread!
Sleepydots. 50 days.. Congratulations
Old 02-15-2016, 09:41 AM
  # 444 (permalink)  

AmazingJoy, welcome!

Outonthetiles: Congrats on your engagement!

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. Day 1 here. I'm trying not to dwell on the past and focus on today. I feel pretty good for a day 1. Going to try and go to a meeting around lunchtime if I can haul my butt out of the house.

I'm really looking forward to two things that I used to enjoy but that Alcohol has taken away from me: reading and exercising.

I hope everyone has a great day!
Old 02-15-2016, 10:02 AM
  # 445 (permalink)  

Congratulations Sleepydots on day 50 (WOW), soberjim on over 2 weeks, anyone else meeting a milestone. Congrats on your engagement, outonthetiles.

Made it through last night in spite of two very strong cravings. Sleepydots, I did what you explained so well here:

"I used to 'reason' with my AV about why drinking wasn't a good idea, but in doing that, it's like I made drinking an option. . .This time I am working on refusing to even think about it. I acknowledge the urge, then dismiss it entirely and immediately distract myself with something else - ask my kids to play a game, gather them up to go get a smoothie, anything! Just to change the channel completely. No arguing, no reasoning, just shut down the thought entirely and refusing to give it any space in my head. "

For me it was reading SR, sober blogs, candy, and a movie that distracted me. At one point my husband left a full glass of whiskey on the counter. By that time the craving was gone, so I just looked at it as an object, but I was careful to move it out of my line of sight. The AV comes back when I least expect it. I agree with tiredofme that a plan is important for those times.

I have to expect that I will get cravings, not judge myself for it. I'm an alcoholic.

3 weeks today. Feeling surprised and grateful.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:09 AM
  # 446 (permalink)  

Congratulations outonthetiles, sounds like your proposal was more romantic than the one I got! Well done to you all, sleepy dots those seem like good coping methods, I think I need to do the same when I eventually tire of being a recluse! I'm getting out with the kids but evenings are strictly at home as don't need any temptation at the moment. I'm wondering if I will ever let my kids sleep at their nans house ever again as kid free nights are generally my hell raisers and massive trigger!
I'm just still unsure of the next steps and carving out a new sober life for myself but in all honesty I quite enjoy being at home anyway so maybe that's what I'm happy doing really, just minus the wine!
Well done all of you, day 17 I salute you and look forward to more recovery and more strength and clarity with every passing day
Old 02-15-2016, 10:18 AM
  # 447 (permalink)  

Back at work today to the inevitable questions and knowing looks regarding my head injury. I'm visiting a different site tomorrow so I can look forward to a more of the same!

Actually it wasn't as bad as I'd feared in the end.
Old 02-15-2016, 03:54 PM
  # 448 (permalink)  

Sleepy - Congrats on 50!
Outonthetiles - Congrats on your engagement too!
5uper - Glad it wasn't as bad as you thought

Day 3 afternoon checkin - Got some small chores done and the detox is getting better. I think my eye swelling is mostly gone so tomorrow at work hopefully won't be too bad if I can get some sleep tonight. Reading a lot of posts here the last 3 days has definitely helped.

I have had a few using thoughts today though, but not to the point I would call real cravings.

I'm also feeling very irritable today and inanimate objects are finding they risk my wrath if they don't do what I want. ;(
Old 02-15-2016, 03:57 PM
  # 449 (permalink)  

Hi sleepy, well done on 50 days. Stay strong; you can make it past 59 days.
Old 02-15-2016, 04:40 PM
  # 450 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone. Good to see everyone racking up the days. I'm on day 15 here.

Made it through another weekend. Last night I went out to a burger joint with family. I was sweating bullets as the drink orders were going in with the AV starting up about just having one or two since its a special night out, etc. Somehow I resisted and just ordered a diet coke. Hardest test of the last few weeks but once I got home I was very happy with myself.

How hard it was made me realize I probably should try to avoid those kinds of situations for a while.
Old 02-15-2016, 04:46 PM
  # 451 (permalink)  

Jumping back in. I had a setback last week. Day 3 here.
Old 02-15-2016, 05:01 PM
  # 452 (permalink)  

Sleepydots: Congrats on 50!!! You can do it, stay the course!

Bluedog: Welcome!

So I think I mentioned in my first post, but I was stressing about a 2-day work trip and that being a danger zone for me to slip. Well, out of the blue, and due to circumstances outside my control, I had to switch to a local work meeting and got someone else to cover the remote one. So there is really nothing standing in the way of me staying sober this week. Pretty crazy how that happens. I think someone may be watching out for me
Old 02-15-2016, 05:09 PM
  # 453 (permalink)  

50 days is awesome. Keep it up and stay diligent!
Old 02-15-2016, 05:23 PM
  # 454 (permalink)  

Hi everyone! Made it home! I had to stay late for an online class. I sat at my desk and snacked on carrots and celery and olive flavored triscuits. Drank two glasses of water. Still thought about buying beer on the way home, but didn't. I decided if I really want it I can go back out later and get it. Now that I'm here, I know I won't. Honestly, I hate the cravings, though. I don't feel well when I don't drink, and I really feel bad when I do. But, I know I'll get past the not feeling well when I don't if I just hang in. Welcome to Bluedog and Sleepy. Congrats on 50 days Sleepy! You are where I want to be... Stay sober or you'll be where I am!
Old 02-15-2016, 05:33 PM
  # 455 (permalink)  

I stopped almost four weeks ago in mid January. I had hoped to stop as of Jan 1st, lasted a fortnight then had several days of binging. My hope is to make it through February. I have a busy couple of weeks (well busy for me) so will have things to occupy myself with but I also know the danger days- tomorrow is one of them as I have the following day free. Luckily (well for a certain definition of the word!) I am skint until Monday and have very little money after splurging on my flatmates birthday presents. So that should help me through- this Thursday is four weeks, and as Feb is shooter hopefully getting to the end won't be too big a problem though my birthday is in March so that will be tricky, I havent had a sober B-day for nearly 15 years.
Old 02-15-2016, 05:33 PM
  # 456 (permalink)  

Good job to everyone on another sober day and welcome to all the new faces.

It's a good group here!
Old 02-15-2016, 06:50 PM
  # 457 (permalink)  

Embarrassed and mad at myself for having to write that I'm back to day one. After a very long and busy and frustrating weekend at work I decided that wine was the answer late last night. I don't want to keep living this way and know that having a safe place like this to ask for help is an important part of whatever recovery plan I come up with. Of course I have to actually ask for that help instead of running away like I did this weekend.

Hope everyone is doing well. My home internet is still being sketchy but I am going to try and catch up with the past couple of days posts ASAP. Cable repair guy is coming out tomorrow to try and figure out the internet issue.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:50 PM
  # 458 (permalink)  

Nein days
Old 02-15-2016, 07:58 PM
  # 459 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you drank but I'm glad you're back Chinaski. I hope you can get the net sorted as well - supports very important

D
Old 02-15-2016, 08:57 PM
  # 460 (permalink)  

Day 1
Don't let your guard down. Even for a minute. I always suprise myself worth how sneaky my own self is. Excuse is not worth mentioning. Going to have labs / bloodwork done in the morning. I'll deserve whatever bad news, if any, that comes. Got a day Off with the boys, though. It's worth it to spend a day with them.
Full on meal replacement with a healty shake in the evenings, starting tomorrow. Eating after long days at work is causing me real weight problems. Gotta give up the late meal then bed thing.