Notices

Class of February 2016 Support Thread Part 2

Old 02-14-2016, 08:01 AM
  # 401 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

Originally Posted by Time2Rise View Post
I sincerely apologize for any pain I may have cause you and your family at the wedding. But It's time to move on, so I'd like to put this behind us."
Hi Mia,

I agree with Time2Rise.

Anyone who takes a wedding too seriously needs to get over themselves. People should wait before pointing fingers and saying "my wedding was ruined" just in case the marriage does not last more than a few years--as is the case with half of them. A wedding is just a party, albeit an important one. But I reserve getting "too serious" for events like hoping a child survives a major car accident. End of rant.

Mel
Old 02-14-2016, 08:18 AM
  # 402 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

Originally Posted by Camryn474 View Post
I literally made plans to meet someone at the bar for drinks and I was on my way to get beer to drink before heading out. I don't know what came over me but I canceled my plans and skipped picking up beer.
Hi Camryn,

That was a close call! Good work. I feel the war between my old pattern and my new pattern will not be won in a day, but over time, one skirmish at a time. The enemy is indeed cunning.

Mel
Old 02-14-2016, 08:34 AM
  # 403 (permalink)  

No alcohol today. Let's do it. Day 11.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:37 AM
  # 404 (permalink)  

Hi Mia, I can relate to your situation 100%. I drank too much at important events like weddings, after making promises I wouldn't. My behavior definitely got me removed from the guest list for a time.
Once you stop drinking, give it some time before others see you are serious about a change. Maybe your friend needs some time to forgive, that's ok. You need time to heal and focus on your sobriety. Give your relationship space.
Soon everyone in town will know the new sober you - and believe me there will be many others in line to take over the role of town drunk or the one who overdid it at the party - sad but true.
Old 02-14-2016, 09:00 AM
  # 405 (permalink)  

Made it to the store to get some healthy food, and the swelling around my eyes seem like its getting better not worse, so day 2 is shaping up well so far.
Old 02-14-2016, 09:04 AM
  # 406 (permalink)  

Thanks so much guys you've cheered me up and I know as long as I stay sober things will eventually improve(maybe I'm just not cut out to be a wedding guest?!) so time to be thankful for all the good things I have in life and try and stop focusing on all the bad stuff. Hope you're all having a good day whatever you're doing, am planning to watch joy tonight and eat lots of chocolate! Stay strong and sober class mates
Old 02-14-2016, 10:35 AM
  # 407 (permalink)  

Another sober day.

Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend!
Old 02-14-2016, 10:37 AM
  # 408 (permalink)  

Good work, Badger. 11 days is awesome.

Mia, so glad you're in better spirits. Enjoy that chocolate!

StartingOver, glad the eye swelling is down. I hate that we wear our recovery on our faces for the first little bit. Enjoy your healthy foods! Eating good always makes me feel better about myself.

Mel, I really like how you said the war won't be won in a day. You're totally right. We all drank for a long time so it just makes sense that only little by little will we cultivate new habits and thinking patterns. It's important not to go into the daily battle unprepared though.

Hi Kitty!

I've been doing a lot of pacing this morning. Bouncing from extreme rage to hopeless depression. I know a drink would bring about 5 minutes of relief and then I'd be right back at square one. During this time I got to thinking about how am I going to make this time different than every other sober attempt. I think my biggest stumblingblock is really cultivating a new sober life and completely breaking all ties with my old life. I need to figure out how to do that permanently.
Old 02-14-2016, 10:50 AM
  # 409 (permalink)  

Happy Valentines Day class. Hope everyone is having a great sober day. Just got back from grocery run. I take my Mom with me, as she doesnt drive anymore. Glad thats done for the week. Its really frigid here, and snow is on its way.

Got stuff for homemade veggie soup, and green beans, ham and taters. Stopped at the local corner market for some firewood too. Guess that clerk was surprised to see me there, not buying beer for a change! Im in for the rest of the day. Going to sit by the fire and relax for a bit, maybe read one of my Stephen King books.

Stay strong everyone.
Old 02-14-2016, 11:10 AM
  # 410 (permalink)  

Day 8

I'd like to put this behind us, please.
Old 02-14-2016, 01:05 PM
  # 411 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kittycat3 View Post
Hi Mia, I can relate to your situation 100%. I drank too much at important events like weddings, after making promises I wouldn't. My behavior definitely got me removed from the guest list for a time.
Once you stop drinking, give it some time before others see you are serious about a change. Maybe your friend needs some time to forgive, that's ok. You need time to heal and focus on your sobriety. Give your relationship space.
Soon everyone in town will know the new sober you - and believe me there will be many others in line to take over the role of town drunk or the one who overdid it at the party - sad but true.
This. Sober time should heal many of the old wounds, and I have some alcohol wounds of my own that need healing.
Old 02-14-2016, 01:44 PM
  # 412 (permalink)  

Evening everyone.

That av is not going down without a fight.

I focused on how nice it will be to crawl into bed sober and sleep well.

It has been over 2 weeks and I do not miss waking up at 3 am with anxiety.

I few mins of alcohol for a whole day of suffering.

Stay strong everyone
Old 02-14-2016, 03:50 PM
  # 413 (permalink)  

Trying to moderate

I've never had a Valentine's Day in my adult life during which I didn't drink. So the wine cravings are hitting me hard. H is making us a yummy lobster dinner. He also got alcohol-free sparkling wine for me, which I am pretending is champagne and drinking in a pretty glass right now. I don't want to get used to drinking AF drinks like this because they eventually make me want the real thing. But for today it's helping.

If anyone else feels like this, here's what helped me--from Soberistas (great blog):

6 Reasons Why Moderation is Miserable By Annie Grace - Soberistas
Old 02-14-2016, 04:20 PM
  # 414 (permalink)  

Hi

Hi everyone, I'm an alcoholic and ready to quit for good. I'd like to join the group if you all will have me.

I'm done with it this time. Seriously ready for a change and to get back to sobriety. I'm seeing more and more negative effects on me and my family.

I'll be starting tomorrow on day 1. Had a few beers tonight.

Have some challenges in the next week as I'm traveling on Wed and Thurs for work, which is usually stressful.

I look forward to getting to know you all!
Old 02-14-2016, 04:20 PM
  # 415 (permalink)  

Good job, soberjim!

Safeandsound, it's so nice your husband is being supportive. I hope you enjoy your dinner. Please be careful with the "alcohol free" drinks. Like you said, they inevitably make us want the real thing. I'm rooting for ya and don't want you to have to go through day 1 hell again. Happy Valentine's Day to you!

I've been tempted again today. It's the soul crushing depression that is making me want to crawl into a bottle. That thought seems so comforting to me. I have got to stop seeing alcohol in a positive light. I think that prolongs the cravings. Push forward. It's all I can do.
Old 02-14-2016, 04:22 PM
  # 416 (permalink)  

Welcome, FacingFuture. Glad to have you with us. We've got a really supportive group here. Lean on us as much as you need to.
Old 02-14-2016, 05:13 PM
  # 417 (permalink)  

Camryn, thanks so much for the support. It means a lot.

I suffer from awful depressions, so I hear you. And it does work for a very short amount of time to numb me out, maybe 30 minutes. But I act like such an a****** when I inevitably keep drinking that I end up having even more to be depressed about; it lowers my self-esteem even further. I'm trying to believe what I've read and experienced in past sober stretches, which is that each time we say "no," we feel stronger and more confident and more able to handle the temptation next time.

Happy Valentine's Day! Hope everyone is staying strong. I'll check back later.
Old 02-14-2016, 05:24 PM
  # 418 (permalink)  

Hello facing; welcome to the Class of February.
Old 02-14-2016, 05:42 PM
  # 419 (permalink)  

Welcome FacingFuture!

Camryn - Yes we do show it on our faces. Its another great reason to not want to go through those first days again! I saw you also said you're experiencing bad depression. I hope its not too bad. It'll get better with time! I went for a walk outside in the fresh air today to get a little exercise and it helped my mood a lot. Straightforward things like healthy meals and walks outside are often good anti-depressants for me.

Its nice to make it to the evening of day two. Good job on your progress everyone!
Old 02-14-2016, 05:57 PM
  # 420 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome FF

D