Class of February 2016 Support Thread Part 2

Old 02-08-2016, 05:42 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Welcome HighDraw....
Old 02-08-2016, 05:54 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Good morning all!

Day 3

Congrats to those who have hit 1 week and to everyone here for trying to get their lives back. This truly is a scary and dangerous disease - just the way our AV's can come out of nowhere and try to ambush us. I know there have been days I have had NO desire to drink and then all of a sudden I am on autopilot to the liquor store and there is no stopping me. But, as Dee and others have said, we have to find a way to deal with those times.

I, too, just had my first sober weekend in awhile. It felt so good to just enjoy time with my family instead of being distracted and obsessed over thoughts of drinking and how I was going to sneak to liquor store, etc. It really is exhausting, in every way. Tomorrow is my daughter's 6th birthday so I know I won't drink tonight because I have so much to do and I refuse to be hungover, tired and miserable on her special day.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Monday. Stay strong everyone and come here first!
Old 02-08-2016, 05:56 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Forgot to say WELCOME to all of the newcomers
Old 02-08-2016, 05:58 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Yesterday was day 8 for me. I was home in the afternoon and my AV was nagging me.

I attending a wedding on Saturday evening where there was quite a bit of alcohol. I was driving so it was not an issue for me not to drink. I knew I would not. It felt good to get home sober and go to bed.

Yesterday like I mentioned my AV was nagging at me. A movie came on TCM called 'days of wines and roses'. It was a B&W movie with Jack Lemmon and Lee Remick. The story is about this couple who spiral into alcoholism and when it gets bad enough the husband goes to AA. His wife however is unable to join him in sobriety. The last scene is hard to watch.

A powerful movie. It made my AV hide and the desire to pick up a drink left by the end of the movie.

One day at a time!
Old 02-08-2016, 06:06 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

I feel very weird this morning but at least it is not a hangover. I suppose PAWS (post-acute withdrawal syndrome) is preferable to new damage from alcohol. Off the gym! I am hoping exercise will promote the healing process.

I want to thank everyone for posting. These messages are most helpful. All we have to do is get through today; tomorrow will take care of itself.

Mel

P. S. You got an xbox? I love it! ha ha.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:23 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thinking back to a week ago this time....ugh. A great reminder.

Day 8.

Welcome newcomers! Keep at it. I really hope we have all had our last day 1.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:33 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Oops, I posted earlier that I just had my first sober weekend, but I actually didn't because I drank on Friday night and I consider that part of the weekend. So hopefully next weekend will be my first full sober weekend

Congrats on 8 days AppleKat!
Old 02-08-2016, 06:37 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Feels good to open up on here about my thoughts regarding my drinking.

Looking forward to being part of the community.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:17 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Feeling really dehydrated this morning for some reason. I ate some yucky way too salty Chinese food for dinner last night. Maybe that's the culprit. Of course I'm laying in bed as I type this and I'm too lazy to get up and pour myself a glass of water. So maybe I'm the culprit.

Work this morning and then a break and then again this evening. That'll keep me busy today so drinking won't be an option. So far the cravings/thoughts have been really minimal but I'm starting day eight now and in the past the second week has often been a stumbling block for me. Usually if I can make it past the second week, I'm good through the rest of the month and then have another trouble spot around days 35-40. I've only made it past that point a very few times. But I'm also trying not to compare this time to past attempts at sobriety because this time I'm not going to drink. Period.

Dee74 -- Thank you! Hope you've fully recovered from last week's migraine.

SansaS -- Thank you for the kind words too. How are you doing today?

bluedog97 -- You shouldn't ever have to apologize here for being honest about your feelings, especially about any thoughts of drinking. Expressing and exploring those feelings is what this place is all about.

Jeni26 -- Congrats on one week! You sound like you're in a little better place this morning. Keep on moving forward, one step at a time.

sadsadgirl -- Welcome to the class of February 2016! Congrats on your successful sober weekend.

mns1 -- Thank you for the kind words and have a great day 7.

Mia83 -- Great job on day 9. You are totally right about the drinking just fueling that vicious cycle of self-loathing.

soberjim -- Congrats on the sober weekend! Days of Wine and Roses is an amazing movie. It's been too long since I've watched it.

5upersonic -- Thanks for checking in. Stay strong!

Camryn474 -- Sorry you're not sleeping well. I appreciate your honesty in here. Those feelings will pass, especially if you keep doing what you're doing--asking for help, accepting advice, and, most importantly, not taking that first drink. You're on the right track.

tiredofme -- I've been eating so unhealthily the last few days, been using the excuse that I'm just letting my body have whatever it seems to want (except alcohol, of course.) But I've got to do something healthier today. Think I want a big spinach salad of some kind.

KarenOskie -- An AA meeting on the way home is a great idea. Maybe also you can just vary your routes home from work? Little changes in our routines can make a big difference.

maximus97 -- So glad you checked in. Remember that whatever situation you're dealing with, drinking will only make it worse. We're here for you. You're in my thoughts...

JL2014 -- Sounds like a very stressful situation all the way around. Does your wife not understand the financial strain your family is in?

Hope you get to feeling better.

ChrisBen -- Congrats on a sober weekend and thanks for checking in!

kittycat3 -- Great job on day 7!

HighDraw18 -- Welcome to the class! Hope you'll become an active participant here. This class is making all the difference for me so far.

Ladybug2 -- Having a sober mother is the best birthday gift you can possibly give both your children for the rest of their lives. Congrats on a sober Saturday and Sunday.

Mel12 -- Have a great workout! I ended up not playing video games for too long as I've got some mild carpal tunnel issues and the controller was starting to aggravate them.

Applekat -- Congrats my fellow day 8er! I was soooo hungover a week ago today. Glad I never have to feel that way again as long as I don't take that first drink.

Thanks for letting me ramble on everyone. Taking the time to do this in the morning starts me off on the right foot and makes the whole rest of my day go so much better. Wishing you all a happy and sober Monday!
Old 02-08-2016, 07:34 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone. Congrats to everyone making it through the weekend sober. It was my first dry weekend in quite a while too. There was a couple times where I almost did something stupid, but made it through and am feeling pretty good about myself. Now on to today!
Old 02-08-2016, 08:09 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Day 7, not bad. Took the weekend in stride. Love the surfing metaphor, seems to work for me. AA Tues and Thurs. Keep your chin up guys/gals.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:18 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Chinaski it's so nice of you to reach out individually.

I always find I regret food that sounds awesome in the moment like Chinese or McDonalds lol. I had some fast food Friday that didn't sit well. But I do thoroughly enjoy saying I don't feel good legitimately from something else instead of using it as a scapegoat when it was really just the booze.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:48 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Great job everyone!
Old 02-08-2016, 10:03 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Hope everyone is having a good day. Feeling a little jittery at work today (probably more from quitting tobacco than booze) but feel relieved that I have committed to a decision to quit.

Managing/controlling drinking was exhausting.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:10 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Chinaski, I agree with Applekat. Your individual posts are pretty awesome. Makes me feel that much more united with this group. Your story about the Chinese food and being lazy gave me a good laugh.

Welcome aboard to our new classmates!!

My cravings today are a little better. I still want to go grab a bottle but I'm not coming out of my skin as bad about it today. I'm struggling to get my plan set. I've made a plan in the past but I always do the things I know I can't do that leads me to drinking. I also have a serious problem with not reaching out to people here when I need help. I think that is my biggest problem. It's so stupid too because I have a few precious ladies in my life who would and have bent over backwards for me. I really am not sure how to address this issue.

Oh well. Glad to see so many doing well. I seriously rejoice with each of you as I read your posts.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:12 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HighDraw18 View Post
Managing/controlling drinking was exhausting.
This is so incredibly true.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:19 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Lunchtime quick check in. I'm a little stressed with some work HH / outings planned, 2 coming this month. I need to focus on one day at a time and I know I can decline if I need to. But I still hope to eventually be able to attend social events with my teams and NOT drink, but I don't know if I'm ready yet.
Anyone else have advice? I hate the feeling of isolating because I am not drinking, but need to make sure I am not putting my sobriety at risk.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:30 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kittycat3 View Post
Lunchtime quick check in. I'm a little stressed with some work HH / outings planned, 2 coming this month. I need to focus on one day at a time and I know I can decline if I need to. But I still hope to eventually be able to attend social events with my teams and NOT drink, but I don't know if I'm ready yet.
Anyone else have advice? I hate the feeling of isolating because I am not drinking, but need to make sure I am not putting my sobriety at risk.
It's really early days Kitty. I think removing yourself from temptation is really sensible. If you don't need to go, I wouldnt, but if you do....have an excuse and an escape plan ready.
My hubby drinks and the fridge is permanently filled with booze. I can't really escape it. I felt the urge to drink quite strongly last week at times, but now I just couldn't bear the thought of it. Long may that last.

My anxiety has settled a bit today. I think being busy at work is my salvation right now...no time to think.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:54 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

kittycat--I don't have much advice right now. I'm rejecting invitations, even from people I like, because it's too early and I can't predict what my AV will do when everyone else is drinking. I know work is different, though.

Congrats on one week or more kittycat, Chinaski, Tinkerbell, mns, soberjim, lesh4lush, and anyone else I missed! This is a strong class. And congratulations also to those who got right back on the horse after a brief relapse. I found it was counter-productive to let shame and guilt overwhelm me about it; that's just my AV trying to get me to keep drinking.

Welcome to the newcomers! There's lots of support here and some pretty great people

Dee, this actually made me cry because it is so spot-on with my feelings and what I need to work on:

"I had to work on other stuff too of course . I needed to forgive myself for past mistakes and stop beating myself up. I needed to stop punishing myself for things other people did to me years ago.

I had to believe I was worth fighting for."

I certainly don't believe that yet, but it gives me hope I can eventually stop hating myself so much.

My AV was a b**** yesterday. It started with discussing money problems with H (neither one of us know how to manage money except by spending every cent we have), then getting super irritable when we went to the mall and even MORE irritable because I had to just sit in that feeling and could not find the immediate relief I get from drinking. Then I was pissed because when we got home, the first thing H did (who is irritable from trying to quit smoking--yay) was to pour a giant glass of whiskey. Wine is my drink of choice, but I also like whiskey. He's been trying to buy things that won't tempt me as much.

THANK GOD I had written a very detailed list of things to do to distract myself. It wasn't so much thinking of something specific on the list as comfort in knowing it was there, if that makes any sense. I also thought of what I have built so far and how awful it would be to lose it. Then I read the forum on hints for early sobriety from "older" members that someone here posted a link to (thank you, thank you, thank you). I wrote about my angry feelings and was not very nice to H in these comments, but it felt good to get them out. And finally I ate everything I could find in the fridge that looked good. I'm not doing well with that and see I've gained yet another pound, bringing it up to 8 total. I'm not obese by any means but would prefer to be able to button my jeans!! But I also got a lot of support on that issue on a Newcomers thread and have those comments saved so I can review them, as I will do after writing this.

This sure is hard. It takes so much work to stay sober. And I hate not knowing how to deal with feelings yet and always having the temptation to escape. But it was more work to stay drunk in a different kind of way: planning, hiding, lying, the awful guilt and shame, mind-boggling hangovers, etc. etc. etc.

Thanks for all your posts.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:07 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Well day 1 after my beer yesterday. I am still soooo angry over that. No cravings today and I guarantee there won't be, that AV wouldn't dare show up today she knows she doesn't stand a chance. Lots to do today so I'll probably catch up with you all tonight.