Notices

Class of February 2016 Support Thread Part 2

Old 02-13-2016, 09:07 AM
  # 361 (permalink)  

Hello all, I would like to join this group and I am on day 1.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:00 AM
  # 362 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Awesome work guys.

Welcome StartingOver!

Happy Sober Saturday everyone!
Old 02-13-2016, 10:08 AM
  # 363 (permalink)  

I had my first alcohol related dream last night. Weird. I don't remember the details, but I remember I was drinking and I felt really bad about it. I don't feel like I'm going to relapse, but it's weird about the dream, like my sub conscious is sending little messages, 'hey, remember all the fun we used to have?'
Old 02-13-2016, 10:52 AM
  # 364 (permalink)  

Welcome Startingover!!

I'm feeling good so far today. Though it's early. I have to bake a bday cake later and I'm not a baker. At all. So I'm doing two round cakes and stacking them and then doing frosting all over. Sounds so simple. Im sure I will botch it!! Do I put a layer of frosting in between to help it stick? Best way to smooth? Can I store it on counter overnight? Google here I come!
Old 02-13-2016, 10:55 AM
  # 365 (permalink)  
Do your best

Wishing everyone a peaceful sober weekend
Old 02-13-2016, 11:07 AM
  # 366 (permalink)  

Day 5, usual cravings started at 3.30/4pm, but particularly hard tonight. Had a good cry and remembering the mess I was in last weekend at this time has helped, as well as some reading. Hoping I actually get some quality sleep tonight without sweats, shakes and nightmares. I also suffer from ME and I suppose I expected my illness to get better overnight when I quit, but frustratingly no, so the wee man on my shoulder is saying to me, just go on, have a drink, it won't make your ME any worse. Looking for distraction techniques please anyone? X X
Old 02-13-2016, 11:38 AM
  # 367 (permalink)  

Teapot - I try to trick the cravings with something yummy to eat first. That was my downfall last night (almost) - I should have had a hearty meal for dinner. Instead I left myself hungry and just fed the kids. So, if food or sweets works for you I would get on that plan now to stave off AV. I ended up late last night having an egg sandwich (haha!!!) and a cup of ice cream.
Old 02-13-2016, 11:42 AM
  # 368 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mia83 View Post
Hey everyone, just checking in because I feel like total crap!! My friend came round (who's wedding I acted like a total drunken idiot at) and my God did I get the full force of 'passive aggression'. I knew I would have to confront my behaviour( this is the 5th convo, we've had about my behaviour now) but seriously when will it stop??!! I've been feeling so positive but after hearing a blow by blow account of what everyone thinks of me I feel like crawling into a hole and never resurfacing. I'm so sick of feeling so bad about myself- I know I've done wrong but when will I ever get to move on. I suppose it's still early days for her and she is entitled but I hate myself all over again and feel like crying. I'm so humiliated and all positivity has disappeared. Sorry for the depressing post but I'm so sad and frustrated at myself for putting myself in this position all because of alcohol.
Mia, I had about 3 days when my husband decided to mention that I have caused him so much pain and heartbreak and embarrassment over the years we've been together. I was already feeling fragile. I'm surprised I didn't drink over that. I just had to take the hit because looking back, my behavior was truly hideous. I think it takes awhile for people to trust us again. She's entitled to her feelings, but I would avoid taking that all on and getting depressed about the past, which is what I did. It didn't help. All we can do is move forward and make sure that stuff doesn't happen again.

I'm kinda down today. Got some bad financial news just when I thought we were OK and also can't believe I've gained so much weight! Sorry if I've ranted about this before. I read that it's the "starvation response" (I didn't eat much when I drank, so body is stockpiling now) and an addictive response to sugar, but I'm saving 1500-2000 calories a day in booze! Weight loss or gain seems common in recovery, but I don't find that comforting when I can't wear half my clothes. One of my triggers is thinking things are unfair, and both of these events are unfair. I'm working so hard to stay sober, I guess I want a reward. That has been my downfall before. And seriously, I want to be rewarded for not injuring myself, blacking out, verbally abusing people?!? So irrational. I did hide the scale from myself and won't look at it until I get 6 weeks, which is(when I started losing last time after a milder weight gain. But UGGGGH it is so frustrating!

Going shopping with H today, which he will hate, but I'm sure it will cheer me up even though I'm only buying practical stuff like mittens. Window shopping is fun.

Have a sober Saturday, everyone.
Old 02-13-2016, 11:46 AM
  # 369 (permalink)  

teapotfan, for me, reading various threads on the Newcomers Forum helps a lot. Writing down how I'm feeling. TV, food, going outside, cleaning, anything to distract myself.
Old 02-13-2016, 11:52 AM
  # 370 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Applekat View Post
Teapot - I try to trick the cravings with something yummy to eat first. That was my downfall last night (almost) - I should have had a hearty meal for dinner. Instead I left myself hungry and just fed the kids. So, if food or sweets works for you I would get on that plan now to stave off AV. I ended up late last night having an egg sandwich (haha!!!) and a cup of ice cream.
I'm certainly embracing my new found appetite but nothing seems to fill the hole tonight....Having a big cup of tea and biccys. I was eating chocolate in bed at 1am this morning!!
Old 02-13-2016, 11:53 AM
  # 371 (permalink)  

Thanks safe and sound- I do feel fragile like you say and hearing so many bad things about myself is so hard to hear. It's making me dislike her which is irrational because it's me that has been so the one in the wrong. I suppose I just don't like the truth but I have said sorry so many times now I don't know what else I can do?! Just time I suppose but I hate feeling so low again when I was starting to feel better about things. Anyway thank you for your words
I have gained weight also- I have been very slim for a long time and replace most meals at the weekend with coffee or alcohol, so now I'm eating properly it's bound to happen. I'm sure if we give it a while we will both look healthier anyway a few pounds heavier or not. Atleast we will be carrying around less guilt which weighs the most really eh! Have a good evening xx
Old 02-13-2016, 11:53 AM
  # 372 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by safeandsound View Post
teapotfan, for me, reading various threads on the Newcomers Forum helps a lot. Writing down how I'm feeling. TV, food, going outside, cleaning, anything to distract myself.
Thanks.....will keep myself on here and read posts...Sat night is hard!!
Old 02-13-2016, 12:08 PM
  # 373 (permalink)  

Hi everybody, I'm on board with the February class. Since 12/28/15 I've drank six times, so much better than 4-5x/week though. I'm on day 5 now as Superbowl Sunday got me and then I drank the next day too....mistakes. I've never committed to total sobriety, but the more I read here the more I feel like I should - one day at a time for the rest of my life. My biggest focus now is getting in shape which is challenging at age 50 since I'm about 30 pounds overweight (I'm down 12). I joined a gym and was going a lot, but my knee is swelled up now as I think I pushed myself too hard on the treadmill. Anyway, quality time with my wife and daughter is also a priority and also to thrive at work. Have a great sober weekend!
Old 02-13-2016, 12:33 PM
  # 374 (permalink)  

Happy Saturday all! I'm on day 8 and feeling super strong and good. Exercise and eating better has helped immensely.
Old 02-13-2016, 01:02 PM
  # 375 (permalink)  

Thank God for pizza delivery because I'm too torn up to leave the house today. It just felt so good to wolf down 3 slices of pizza after mostly drinking and barely eating the last few days. I still feel torn up but a lot better than 6 hours ago.

Reading all your messages help too. Thanks for being here everyone!

Old 02-13-2016, 03:37 PM
  # 376 (permalink)  

Outonthet, those drinking dreams happen alot, to alot of people in early sobriety especially. Ive heard they have popped up after some accumulating time as well. Nothing to worry about.

Applekat, hope those cakes turned out good. Yes, ice the middle of the two round ones. I use a big spoon to spread the icing out. Another good tip is to soften up the icing in the microwave just like 10 seconds or so, before icing. Store cake on counter, or fridge. Both r ok.

I too have gained alot of drinking lbs, thru the years. I cant wait to get it off. I did exercise today, 4 miles on my treadmill. I prefer walking outside, but the weather is too bad here lately.

Hubster brought me a dozen beautiful red roses today. I was very surprised, and pleased. After 33 years, and all the problems we have faced. An early Valentines Day.

Hope everyone is doing great, and welcome to the new members.
Old 02-13-2016, 03:54 PM
  # 377 (permalink)  

Applekat - I am not a baker either, I do love to cook, but baking? No. It always seems to result in a huge mess and nothing ever comes out quite right for me. But my daughter's birthday was a couple weeks ago and she requested a specific kind of cake and so we made it together, it looked kind of ugly but it tasted great and most importantly she was so happy to help so in the end I'm glad we did it. Now my son's birthday is coming up and yeah, I've already placed the order for his cake at the bakery!

Welcome to all the new members!
Old 02-13-2016, 04:50 PM
  # 378 (permalink)  

Checking in from being out on the tiles.
Here's some observations. I'm feeling mentally clearer every morning, the fogginess I was experiencing is going away.

I'm training for the Seattle to Portland bicycle ride again this year. I rode it last summer when I was tapering down. I remember thinking, wow, I'm basically a functional alcoholic, I wonder if I should even be able to do this.

Fortunately biking and running are pretty solitary, so there's not much peer pressure to go out for drinks afterwards.

My stomach feels better, no more acid reflux.

My weight is down and I move better.

My plan for tomorrow is to go out for VD. Everyone here has suggested I preplan, so I'm resolved to order ice tea. THIS GOING TO BE MY FIRST TIME GOING OUT SINCE I have quit. It will be my Day 12.
Old 02-13-2016, 04:53 PM
  # 379 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mia83 View Post
Hey everyone, just checking in because I feel like total crap!! My friend came round (who's wedding I acted like a total drunken idiot at) and my God did I get the full force of 'passive aggression'. I knew I would have to confront my behaviour( this is the 5th convo, we've had about my behaviour now) but seriously when will it stop??!! I've been feeling so positive but after hearing a blow by blow account of what everyone thinks of me I feel like crawling into a hole and never resurfacing. I'm so sick of feeling so bad about myself- I know I've done wrong but when will I ever get to move on. I suppose it's still early days for her and she is entitled but I hate myself all over again and feel like crying. I'm so humiliated and all positivity has disappeared. Sorry for the depressing post but I'm so sad and frustrated at myself for putting myself in this position all because of alcohol.
Ride it out as best you can Mia. Your bad feelings regarding the wedding should pass with a little time. If you've already discussed this a few times with a friend and apologized then it may be time to politely confront her about rehashing the issue.

Personally, I would say something along the lines of "look, I screwed up; I'm well aware of that; and I sincerely apologize for any pain I may have cause you and your family at the wedding. But It's time to move on, so I'd like to put this behind us."

Stay strong.
Old 02-13-2016, 05:05 PM
  # 380 (permalink)  

Hello everyone. I'll be finishing day 6 in a few hours. I'm good--I have no real cravings to speak of, but as I mentioned in an earlier post, my binge drinking habit means that a week or so from now I'll probably start to once again think I can somehow drink with control.

Welcome StartingOver; I'm glad you're here.

I see that some of you have mentioned anxiety. I suggest giving mindful meditation a try if you haven't done so in the past. I don't suffer from full blown anxiety; however, mindful mediation has helped to quell that slight buzz of anxiousness I've always seemed to have right in the middle of my chest. The link below gives easy instructions on how to get started. Oh, and I highly suggest anyone attempting sobriety give it a go; it can help your brain and emotions to regain a bit of balance.

Five Steps to Mindfulness - Mindful

Let's all stay strong this weekend.

Peace