Notices

Class of February 2016 Support Thread Part 2

Old 02-12-2016, 12:28 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  

This morning I was basking in the benefits of 2 weeks off the drink. I have lost 6lbs! I have laughed more and harder.

This evening, it's Friday night and it's hard. That is not unexpected, but my plans have gone awry. To make things work, my husband has called to say his friend is coming home with him and will stay over. That means a late night drinking session in our house. They will drink, get loud, play music and sing into the small hours.

My solution is to go to bed soon and try to be asleep before they get in.

Outonthetiles- big night in Sunday! Good luck! Can you drive to the venue- there should be no pressure to have toast then?

Camryn- I'm sorry this has happened. Stay with us and keep on going

Carly
Old 02-12-2016, 12:40 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  

I guess I'm a little worried about tonight. I don't have anything scheduled, so I'll be on my own. Being home alone, and specifically the drive home at night, is a huge trigger for me. My habit was to pick up a lot of beer on the way home each night. I'm ashamed to say that I would rotate the places I bought it, because I knew I was "doing wrong" and I was ashamed. I was living a lie. I just need to make sure I'm resolved to not stopping on the way home.
Old 02-12-2016, 01:31 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

Originally Posted by patricia68 View Post
Hello. My struggle is anxiety. I wake up in panic and everything goes downhill from there.
Dear Patricia,

I hear you loud and clear. I experienced significant added anxiety from withdrawal of two kinds. I was on benzodiazepines in only small amounts, never more than the doctor prescribed, but even so it was horrible to quit. If one has an anxiety condition to begin with, chemically added anxiety is not desirable at all! I had rebound anxiety from alcohol withdrawal also, but it subsided relatively quickly. Though my brain chemistry is still in transition, I believe the worst of the withdrawal anxiety is a thing of the past.

Mel
Old 02-12-2016, 01:36 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

evening all, just checking in. Hope everyone is staying strong whatever stage you're at. Found this afternoon leaving work for a weeks holiday really hard. really wanted to buy wine but bought chocolate and then spent a little while feeling angry. Decided to keep really busy and did loads of washing and yet more tidying and by the time I sat down with my kids and watched a film I felt really pleased with myself and have had a really nice sober time with my family instead.
The few moments of anger and cravings weren't nice but it didn't kill me and I feel so much better for having the strength to choose not to drink. I'm looking forward to marking 2 weeks sober tomorrow and this past week, although has been quite emotional has also been amazing. I feel so much better mentally without the horrible dark thoughts and anxiety alcohol causes me. Anyway have a great weekend, and hope we can all be lucky enough to wake up excited to start the day rather than just trying to get through it with a hangover. Stay strong
Old 02-12-2016, 01:37 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

Originally Posted by Carlygirl View Post
my husband has called to say his friend is coming home with him and will stay over. That means a late night drinking session in our house. They will drink, get loud, play music and sing into the small hours.
Dear Carlygirl,

Am I am your husband's friend? It sounds like me. To be accurate, it sounds like I used to be. On behalf of all such "husband's friends" please accept my apology.

Mel
Old 02-12-2016, 01:53 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mel12 View Post
Dear Patricia,

I hear you loud and clear. I experienced significant added anxiety from withdrawal of two kinds. I was on benzodiazepines in only small amounts, never more than the doctor prescribed, but even so it was horrible to quit. If one has an anxiety condition to begin with, chemically added anxiety is not desirable at all! I had rebound anxiety from alcohol withdrawal also, but it subsided relatively quickly. Though my brain chemistry is still in transition, I believe the worst of the withdrawal anxiety is a thing of the past.

Mel
Thank you mel. Are you feeling better now that you're off benzodiazepines and alcohol? Is the anxiety more manageable?
Old 02-12-2016, 02:26 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Sounds like I'm not the only one having Friday night cravings. I could just cry. I feel like I am close to having a "screw it" weekend. I mean, it's Valentine's Day Sunday so why not just start now. So I'm logging in here first. I'm hungry. I'm tired. I'm everything. I'm holding a sleeping baby who's very first tooth just started to cut through her gums. AV is having a field day. The "joking" recommendation is whiskey for the parents and whiskey for their gum. Of course I've never done that - for the baby - but have definitely succumbed before to this poor mommy syndrome.

Searching for some dinner...I guess I didn't plan enough. I should have had some hearty meal in mind and now it's just pancakes for dinner for the kiddos.
Old 02-12-2016, 02:31 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Applekat View Post
Sounds like I'm not the only one having Friday night cravings. I could just cry. I feel like I am close to having a "screw it" weekend. I mean, it's Valentine's Day Sunday so why not just start now. So I'm logging in here first. I'm hungry. I'm tired. I'm everything. I'm holding a sleeping baby who's very first tooth just started to cut through her gums. AV is having a field day. The "joking" recommendation is whiskey for the parents and whiskey for their gum. Of course I've never done that - for the baby - but have definitely succumbed before to this poor mommy syndrome.

Searching for some dinner...I guess I didn't plan enough. I should have had some hearty meal in mind and now it's just pancakes for dinner for the kiddos.
Cravings are horrible here too Applekat. One minute I'm strong and the next minute I want a drink. I have an 8 year old son. i need to be strong for him. I need help.
Old 02-12-2016, 02:34 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Hang in there Applekat! Get something to eat, try to get some rest as soon as you can. Remember, the craving will pass, just ride thru it. I know, easy to say, hard to do . You are doing splendidly. Hang in there hon.
Old 02-12-2016, 02:35 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  

You too Patricia. Hang in there!
Old 02-12-2016, 02:36 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  

I so understand the Friday night craving. It was difficult to drive by the store. I am so glad I did. Is is frustrating. I am focusing on waking up tomorrow sober and not hung over.

Focus on tomorrow morning folks. It will be worth it
Old 02-12-2016, 02:38 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Hang in there applekat, there is only a year between my two youngest and there were some very dark days through that first couple of years when they were both needing so much attention all at the same time. You know drinking will only make you feel more tired and more irritable if your baby keeps you awake again(easier said than done I know) plus Valentine's Day is just one day to get through, I'm not celebrating it and I'm not celebrating my birthday on 21st particularly either as I just don't trust myself. I'm just trying to literally recover, keep my head down, look after myself and get a clear head.
I know it's hard when they are little and so demanding but drinking as you know will only make things seem worse. Stay strong and hope the teeth all come through as quickly and painlessly as possible
Old 02-12-2016, 02:40 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Well, I was having a peaceful day, till a bit ago. Having four gkids ages 12,9, 6 and 3 having cabin fever in this small house isnt easy. Talk about craving...ugh, Im too old for this. I really love them all, but cant wait till they move. I did my mommy days long ago. Nice to have gkids, but not when they live with you. Trust me on this one.
Old 02-12-2016, 02:41 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Great job soberjim. Im going to take the dogs out for a quickie walk. Get away from the mayham rnd here for a min.
Old 02-12-2016, 02:42 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  

I'm joining the camp struggling with cravings, too. I keep rationalizing that drinking will ease up the side effects from my stupid decision last night.
Old 02-12-2016, 03:21 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chinaski View Post

Supertired -- Hope you'll come in here and post asking for help before you take that first bite out of the next egg sandwich.
haha just seeing this. trying to fill a void in my life with fried egg sandwichs is only partially effective
Old 02-12-2016, 03:23 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  

hang on everyone struggling. weekends are rough, but you'll be SO HAPPY with yourselves if ya grin and bear it till monday !!
rooting for us all!
Old 02-12-2016, 03:54 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  

I'm the bumble bee in the "No Rain" video. I found the gate. Hi. I see all of you.
Old 02-12-2016, 04:34 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Wow, we're all on the same Universal Schedule....Friday rolls around and suddenly we're all craving having drinks. Well, those days are over, people!
Old 02-12-2016, 05:13 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mia83 View Post
evening all, just checking in. Hope everyone is staying strong whatever stage you're at. Found this afternoon leaving work for a weeks holiday really hard. really wanted to buy wine but bought chocolate and then spent a little while feeling angry. Decided to keep really busy and did loads of washing and yet more tidying and by the time I sat down with my kids and watched a film I felt really pleased with myself and have had a really nice sober time with my family instead.
The few moments of anger and cravings weren't nice but it didn't kill me and I feel so much better for having the strength to choose not to drink. I'm looking forward to marking 2 weeks sober tomorrow and this past week, although has been quite emotional has also been amazing. I feel so much better mentally without the horrible dark thoughts and anxiety alcohol causes me. Anyway have a great weekend, and hope we can all be lucky enough to wake up excited to start the day rather than just trying to get through it with a hangover. Stay strong
Mia, I so relate to this--getting angry that I can't relieve my stress with a drink, but hanging on until the craving passes--or "urge surfing." I also like that you said "it didn't kill me." When I'm in it, it feels like it will! But if I wait 5 to 20 minutes, it passes. Anger is my biggest trigger, too, which I just discovered by doing these worksheets my counselor assigned.

Applekat and Patricia and anyone else struggling, it is so worth it. Remembering my last drink doesn't help me, but thinking about how good I feel in the morning now does. I used to feel like s*** every day.

Carlygirl--friends staying over until the wee hours or sleeping over to avoid drunk driving, playing music, talking loudly, dancing--that sounds exactly how my apartment was every time our friends came over. For now, until I get more stable, I refuse to invite anyone over, and my husband is respecting that (I sense his patience is running a little thin, though). I asked him to meet them out at bars if he wants to drink with them, and I will meet them at restaurants if anyone asks.

I'm angry at my husband because he is still drinking. It's hard to watch and not feel it isn't fair. But I dug my own grave / made my own bed, etc. I also worry a lot about his health given the amount he drinks

Stay strong, everyone!