Notices

Class of February 2016 Support Thread Part 2

Old 02-11-2016, 10:48 AM
  # 241 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

mns1 -- Good luck in your exam! Hope you walk out of it doing that same celebratory Rocky gesture from your avatar.
Thanks Chinaski! It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be but I was certainly happy when it was over!
Old 02-11-2016, 10:49 AM
  # 242 (permalink)  

Ladybug I'm glad you shared. I'm right with you back to day 1 today. Thank heavens (for me at least) it's not even one iota as close to how terrible the last day 1 was. Not really hungover other than a feeling of tiredness.
I'm feeling stronger as the day passes and grateful to be posting here with you and this class. I haven't let anyone in my real life know what I'm going through (my family thinks I'm still sober, some friends think I'm a party girl) and so I feel so lucky I can be honest here and share when I slip.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:12 AM
  # 243 (permalink)  

Hi kittycat, glad you came right back too. I just knew if I didn't post my AV would most likely have gotten the best of me. Let's stay close to here and make this our last Day 1
Old 02-11-2016, 11:50 AM
  # 244 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

It is great to hear everyone checking in.

My update is boring! As boring as it might sound, I am finding work-gym-nutrition-rest to be an ideal daily pattern. My gym work, in its intensity and frequency, is utterly incompatible with a drinking habit. I love my exercise hobby and plan to avoid anything that would force me to quit (such as drinking).

My social life still needs much work if I am going to keep my distance from alcohol-oriented events. For the time being, strategic isolation is working reasonably well, but probably cannot go on indefinitely.

Stress from work is my main trigger, and not something I should ever underestimate. The horrible feeling of exhaustion from overwork makes me want to drink. Planning my workday as fully as possible might be a way to minimize work stress. Frankly, planning has not worked well so far, but I am going to keep trying.

Thanks for listening. I will check back later to see your updates.

Mel
Old 02-11-2016, 12:05 PM
  # 245 (permalink)  

I am with you Mel that my sober social life needs work. I am too engrained in this sick thinking that alcohol is a requirement to be social and have fun. I need to challenge that myth, I know with my head it's not true but not sure my heart is fully convinced!
Old 02-11-2016, 12:21 PM
  # 246 (permalink)  

Lady, Kitty, Max and anyone else - big kudos for posting and not getting swept away like we ALL know it is so easy to do. NEVER hesitate to post. We all have the moments where we need the help, and the moments where we can give the help.

I think we should remind ourselves that we can be stronger than we think we can.

I'll leave you all with a little "funny" - my daughter has wellness week this week at school and today is "Thirsty Thursday" - as college students used to reference it as - Oh the humor. They're supposed to take 100 sips of WATER bc it's also their 100th day of school.

Happy Thursday.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:32 PM
  # 247 (permalink)  

I've had way too many "Thirsty Thursdays," but they normally didn't involve sipping water. Today is "Teetotal Thursday" for me.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:38 PM
  # 248 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Outonthetiles View Post
I ran a Systems Test a couple days ago when shopping. I walked down the beer aisle at grocery store to see if I could do it. No problem...I didn't look left or right, just kept on walking. It really wasn't that big of a deal... I didn't stop to caress any bottles of beer or look longingly at my old friends. It was kind of funny, in a way, just a way to say "eff you" to the disease.
As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death
I take a look at my life and realize there's none left
'Cause I've been brassing and laughing so long that
Even my mamma thinks that my mind is gone

Read more: Coolio - Gangsta's Paradise Lyrics | MetroLyrics

Originally Posted by Chinaski View Post
I've had way too many "Thirsty Thursdays," but they normally didn't involve sipping water. Today is "Teetotal Thursday" for me.
"Teetotal Thursday" ... very catchy, I like it.

Keep strong and watch for AV everyone.

Havagooday.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:59 PM
  # 249 (permalink)  

I'm taking 100 (+) sips of water right along with my 6 year old today. Feels good to be thirsty only for water.

Along that, oddly - I never actually partook in college's Thirsty Thursday...I didn't start abusing wine until I "grew up" and entered the real world. Sigh.

And...now I have Gansta's Paradise in my head!
Old 02-11-2016, 01:09 PM
  # 250 (permalink)  

Ritm, kitty, lady, we are back to day one, but at least we are back. I truly hope its the last day one for us all.

Thanks everyone for the continued support. Its about all that's holding me together today.

Applekat, knb02 is back, do you remember her from the class of August? Glad to see her again. Heck, I've been in so many classes, I recognise so many names. Anyways, good to see everyone is doing good today.

I felt really down yesterday after drinking, and part of today. I spent most of today reading here, and reading about alcoholism, and praying a lot. I think I'm going to seek out a priest, or minister to speak with. I truly believe I will someday be delivered from this disease. I have faith the Lord will guide me, as how to get there, and give me the strength and courage to do so.

Sober on class.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:11 PM
  # 251 (permalink)  

Yep, I luv changing avatars!
Old 02-11-2016, 01:13 PM
  # 252 (permalink)  

Thanks AK. And thanks for the funny story, it's thirsty Thursday for me too, but my drink of choice is hot tea

Yeah I gotta break out of this mold. I work with a lot of guys in a competitive environment. Unfortunately this means a lot of HH events where guys like to brag about how much they can drink, etc. another coworker I have is constantly talking about alcohol, what he drank last night, what he's drinking tonight, the newest designer cocktail he's tried, etc. gets old real fast.

Anyway. One day at a time! I know I'll be sober today.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:15 PM
  # 253 (permalink)  

Way to go max. Alcohol is a depressant, so that could be a big part of why you feel down. But I'm with you, feel somewhat down myself today and kind of scared. I like your idea of reaching out to someone who is a spiritual adviser.

We can do this together!
Old 02-11-2016, 01:23 PM
  # 254 (permalink)  

Applekat, loved the 100 sips! That's funny. Speaking of funny, my grandkids had their Valentines day parties today at school. Does anyone remember those candy hearts in the lil boxes that had sayings on them? Well, they still do, but now they say stuff like, txt u ltr, or email me! What?? Seriously?

You can tell I'm old school, and well, just plain old.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:28 PM
  # 255 (permalink)  

Thanks much kittycat. Yes, I'm depressed enough without adding alcohol to the mix. And suffer from anxiety as well. Yes, I do think a spiritual advisor is a good idea. Anything that works, is my plan. Anything at all, I'm open to all ideas and tools. Glad we are sober today.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:33 PM
  # 256 (permalink)  

Yes Max! We now have a butt load of conversation hearts. And valentines aren't what they used to be. Candy and toys and cutesy Pinterest creations. I remember knb! Yes you're right too tho I recognize a lot of names lol. Not really lol though. :/
Old 02-11-2016, 02:19 PM
  # 257 (permalink)  

Hi all, thanks so much for the support. Just checking in as it's that time of the day again. But I have no alcohol and I am not going out to buy any. So, so tired of these Day 1's. Hope everyone has a great and sober night. I'll be here a lot
Old 02-11-2016, 02:20 PM
  # 258 (permalink)  

Tonight I almost gave in. My av was particularly strong. Took my own advice of one day at a time. I am focused on waking up tomorrow without alcohol in my system.
Old 02-11-2016, 02:23 PM
  # 259 (permalink)  

Just checking in. Congrats to everyone on another sober day and kudos to those that slipped on coming back. That takes resolve - it's easy to disappear after slipping.
Old 02-11-2016, 02:26 PM
  # 260 (permalink)  

Hang in there, ladybug. If you don't have it, you can't drink it, right? Sometimes it's as simple (and hard) as that.

soberjim, good on you for not giving in to those thoughts and for coming in here first. The urges will pass. They're just thoughts and don't have any real power over us if we don't take that first drink. Eat something, take a walk, post in here over and over again, call someone, go to a recovery meeting, do whatever it takes. We're here for you.