Notices

Class Of December 2013 - Part 10

Old 11-05-2016, 07:00 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Zero: buy On the road to Bethlehem. You will not regret it.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:46 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  
waking down

Seems to be a lot out there with that title. Which artist?
Old 11-06-2016, 10:42 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Here's a link: On the Way to Bethlehem: Music of the Medieval Pilgrim (Ensemble Unicorn) - 8.553132
Old 11-06-2016, 10:59 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  
waking down

Oh, right. Der.
Old 11-08-2016, 04:25 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

May the good guys win in America's election today!
Old 11-09-2016, 04:15 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  
waking down

Originally Posted by jackrussell View Post
May the good guys win in America's election today!
All I'm gonna say is I hope my portfolio remains strong enough to live my elder years with health insurance, a roof over my head, and adequate nutrition. That's all I ask.
Old 11-09-2016, 04:37 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  

And that, of course, you keep all of your marbles. We need our marbles.
Old 11-10-2016, 05:38 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  
waking down

Ha! I still have some marbles, but I can't say I've kept all of them. Lost quite a few by the time I finished high school, and the next few decades were kind of scattered. I do believe, though, that at this point I'm gathering more marbles than I'm losing.
Old 11-11-2016, 05:18 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Gathering Marbles.... A good title for a short story, I must say.
Old 11-11-2016, 05:24 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  

And to our beloved Leonard Cohen: all the best in the next world, if there is one.
Old 11-13-2016, 06:17 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Firewood baking in the sun the past 6 months went into the basement this weekend. I'm a bit stiff and sore, but it's all part of the circle here. When I put firewood into my house in the last days before winter, I always imagine the flames from the heat that those logs will generate from the wood furnace in those dark, frigid winter nights. Clear, cold night skies in winter here. Clear tonight. Warm snap, weather-wise, for the next week. Almost full moon. Brightest moon tomorrow night since 1948. Will definitely witness, and breathe in that cool night air. I guess that I have to admit that temperature is a very important life force for me. Defines poles on the pleasure/ pain spectrum. All pleasure today.
Old 11-14-2016, 05:58 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  
waking down

Spent the day running the inn, taking care of dogs, and studying. I should have gotten outside more. The weather will change soon here, as well. Plan to view the moon tonight. Wife reports the moonrise yesterday was spectacular.

Part of the studying I did yesterday was about aspirations, specifically what we "wanted to be" when we were young and if it's worth reexamining today. A couple of quotes that rung true for me:

Planting orchards in the Sahara
Rearranging furniture on the Titanic
Heroic efforts doomed to failure
Seeking approval
Trying to help people who don't want your help

This has been my job for years. I've felt like a failure, but that's not entirely true. A few people have noticed that I've made some small difference. Still, I've hit a wall. I'm counting the days!
Old 11-15-2016, 02:40 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

I think that making small differences is what it's all about. If I were writing a screenplay for a Bruce Willis film, all the differences would be huge. And many. But in our other, living breathing world, it's the little ones that nudge the whole show ahead. I saw this Pema Chodron quote on my Facebook feed today;
"The most straightforward advice on awakening enlightened mind is this: practice not causing harm to anyone-yourself or others- and everyday, do what you can to be helpful."
I like that. And there's a big honkin' need for helpfulness out there. Or rather, out here.
Old 11-15-2016, 04:10 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  
waking down

I just happen to be reading a Chodron book. Part of my Shambhala practice thing. Homework. Good stuff.
Old 11-19-2016, 08:50 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  
waking down

Been practicing tonglen, which is kind of scary, you know, breathing in the dirty and the negative. It seems counterintuitive. http://kaykeys.net/spirit/buddhism/tonglen.html (see the bottom of the page) And my sister has cancer, so I'm not sure I can deal. Maybe I'll go back to the loving-kindness and compassion meditation. Sometimes this **** freaks me out.
Old 11-19-2016, 03:09 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry to hear about your sister Zero.
I have faith you can deal with it though.
Old 11-20-2016, 07:29 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  
waking down

Thanks, Dee. I'll be okay, but she's struggling with the unknown. She has a second surgery in December, and I get some vacation time so I'll fly out and spend a week with her post surgery. Then the radiation... My experience with anxiety is helping her with strategies. She doesn't want to take Xanax or Valium on top of everything else...
Old 11-20-2016, 07:32 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  
waking down

Had a gig last night. I played rhythm and percussion mostly - took a back seat. It wasn't well attended but it was well received. Two more gigs next week, one with accompaniment from the front man in the band last night, and another solo. Small bar gigs, but something to do. Started writing songs again, or one anyway, something I haven't done in years. Trying to memorize it and try another. Getting tired of playing the same old covers. Took some advice from Dylan and decided instead of learning a tune I liked, I rewrote the lyrics and changed the chords, which changed the melody, and it evolved into something worthy. Nice trick.
Old 11-22-2016, 04:50 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  

How do you find new music, Zero? Word of mouth. Radio?
Old 11-22-2016, 07:24 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  

I thought that this story about how an accidental generous incident could thrust someone forward, is inspirational. FYI:
'Like a religious moment': The gift that gave Camilla Gibb a new life - Home | The Current with Anna Maria Tremonti | CBC Radio