Notices

Class of October 2014 Part 26

Old 02-17-2016, 02:02 PM
  # 441 (permalink)  

Work definitely made the hours fly by! I'm a little anxious about the viewing, still wanting to be home in bed. I'll be riding with my brother and he's always good for laughs though.
The hubby and I have already planned to come home after the funeral tomorrow and just chill. We've got two flower beds to assemble and the weather couldn't be prettier. This is our spring time in Texas. It's sunny, breezy and mid 70s. I'm really, really excited to have my own spot to garden now. And Jr is eager to help out. We've already been searching around online for square foot gardening ideas. So far, we're thinking heirloom tomatoes, okra, cucumbers, and strawberries. All are pretty easy to grow out here. (Well...I guess we'll find out just how easy. Lol)
Just trying to stay focused on the positives. Y'all and this site help tremendously!
Old 02-17-2016, 02:15 PM
  # 442 (permalink)  

That sounds great Conquest. A little time in the garden getting dirt on my hands is great therapy for me as well.

I'm so glad that you're sober for this time honoring your grandmother. I drank before visitation when I lost my last grandparent and remember worrying about alcohol on my breath and was hungover for her services.

None of that will taint your memory of this next couple of days.
Old 02-17-2016, 02:15 PM
  # 443 (permalink)  

Thinking of you Conquest love.

And the gardening sounds wonderful, fun and therapeutic.

Love your new avatar Arbor.

Old 02-17-2016, 02:34 PM
  # 444 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Conquest View Post
Work definitely made the hours fly by! I'm a little anxious about the viewing, still wanting to be home in bed. I'll be riding with my brother and he's always good for laughs though.
The hubby and I have already planned to come home after the funeral tomorrow and just chill. We've got two flower beds to assemble and the weather couldn't be prettier. This is our spring time in Texas. It's sunny, breezy and mid 70s. I'm really, really excited to have my own spot to garden now. And Jr is eager to help out. We've already been searching around online for square foot gardening ideas. So far, we're thinking heirloom tomatoes, okra, cucumbers, and strawberries. All are pretty easy to grow out here. (Well...I guess we'll find out just how easy. Lol)
Just trying to stay focused on the positives. Y'all and this site help tremendously!

Vegetable gardening is so much fun (and rewarding, too); nothing quite like a cucumber and tomato salad with fresh from the garden ingredients.
Old 02-17-2016, 02:46 PM
  # 445 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your loss Conquest.

D
Old 02-17-2016, 03:56 PM
  # 446 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mark1014 View Post
I drank before visitation when I lost my last grandparent and remember worrying about alcohol on my breath and was hungover for her services.
I remember my first real attempt at getting sober back in 2013 shortly after I joined SR. My grandmother passed in October and I lost it. Didn't know how to handle the situation without the booze. Made the whole ordeal way worse. Tenfold. My how things have changed.

Feeling those rough emotions sober allows you to grow and brings a strong wisdom to the family that's greatly needed.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:23 PM
  # 447 (permalink)  

That's a spectacular pic you got there Arbor. Is that the New England coast?

Very quiet here as wife and little one are away at NASA for space camp. Not my wife's cup of tea but my daughter should have fun.

Thinking of you with this evening's visitation Conquest.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:25 PM
  # 448 (permalink)  

Space Camp sounds amazing, Mark. I've always wanted to experience weightlessness.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:30 PM
  # 449 (permalink)  

When I went with my son years ago the weightless simulator was not working. Not sure how it worked. It was a nice camp but tiring for sure. My wife will be completely out of her element.

Gym time comes early tomorrow......Good night!
Old 02-17-2016, 06:35 PM
  # 450 (permalink)  

When I went with my son years ago the weightless simulator was not working. Not sure how it worked. It was a nice camp but tiring for sure. My wife will be completely out of her element.

Gym time comes early tomorrow......Good night!

Oh, boo hiss; I would have felt very jipped!!!!
Old 02-17-2016, 07:23 PM
  # 451 (permalink)  

That sounds great Conquest. A little time in the garden getting dirt on my hands is great therapy for me as well.

I'm so glad that you're sober for this time honoring your grandmother. I drank before visitation when I lost my last grandparent and remember worrying about alcohol on my breath and was hungover for her services.

None of that will taint your memory of this next couple of days.
Definitely! One of the many motivators for me Oct 2014 was my grandfather's illness. I knew my family needed me to be strong and healthy, both physically and emotionally... It was time to buck up and face reality, you know?
Tonight was very nice, quite beautiful. And I'm happy to be home now with a huge bowl of cereal and Big Bang Theory reruns.
Again, thank y'all so much for your kind words and well wishes. They mean so much to me.
Goodnight all!
Old 02-17-2016, 07:28 PM
  # 452 (permalink)  

Goodnight, all; see you tomorrow.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:32 AM
  # 453 (permalink)  

Good morning/evening friends! A little extra sleep goes a long way. I'll be heading out to the farmhouse in a bit. The many good memories there are leaving many questions up in the air for its future. Hopefully, itll stay in the family. Part of me wishes we could move out there. I know Cowboy would love to. It would be a huge adjustment for jr and we'd both have an hour plus commute to work... Just dreaming again I guess.

I hope you each have a beautiful day!

How are classes going, Venus?
Where ya at, sweet Phoebe?
Old 02-18-2016, 05:47 AM
  # 454 (permalink)  

Good morning all and happy Thursday!

I've been missing phoebe myself.

A time at the family farm sounds nice Conquest, perhaps a bit wistful though. I've wondered before if being out on the family place is something to consider one day. Lots of layers there, so not sure.

Ok, time for an early meeting with a sales rep.

Wishing each of you the best day.
Old 02-18-2016, 06:36 AM
  # 455 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

Morning guys, all good here.

Conquest - I wonder about what will become of my moms place in the country someday. I wouldn't want to live there, but I can't imagine not having it. My family has been there for 34 years.

Which reminds me, yesterday I was at TJ Maxx (yay!) buying a notebook with a motif of a cassette tape on the cover. The young lady cashier said it was very cool, and I got excited and made some reference to those mix tapes we all had of songs without intros because we recorded them off the radio. She stared at me blankly for a second and then said "yeah my mom might have some of those." Right.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:39 AM
  # 456 (permalink)  

I vaguely remember 8-track cartridge players in cars but grew up in the age of cassettes. And yes, would listen to Casey Kasem's top 40 and be on the ready to record my favorites! Probably still have those cassettes in some box in the attic.

How I'd love to stay here on the patio for the afternoon! Somebody around here's gotta pay the bills though....so back to it I go.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:52 AM
  # 457 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Conquest View Post
Good morning/evening friends! A little extra sleep goes a long way. I'll be heading out to the farmhouse in a bit. The many good memories there are leaving many questions up in the air for its future. Hopefully, itll stay in the family. Part of me wishes we could move out there. I know Cowboy would love to. It would be a huge adjustment for jr and we'd both have an hour plus commute to work... Just dreaming again I guess.

I hope you each have a beautiful day!

How are classes going, Venus?
Where ya at, sweet Phoebe?
I hope that the farmhouse can stay in the family, too; it's really hard to let go of the family 'gathering place'.

Have you heard the song "House That Built Me" by Miranda Lanbert; brings tears every time I hear it.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:54 AM
  # 458 (permalink)  

I vaguely remember 8-track cartridge players in cars but grew up in the age of cassettes. And yes, would listen to Casey Kasem's top 40 and be on the ready to record my favorites! Probably still have those cassettes in some box in the attic.

How I'd love to stay here on the patio for the afternoon! Somebody around here's gotta pay the bills though....so back to it I go.
I loved to listen to Casey Kasem, too, Mark. He had the most unique voice - loved it.
Old 02-18-2016, 11:57 AM
  # 459 (permalink)  

I love tape. Still do! That natural compression you get is a real thing. One day I'll have a vintage reel to reel. I was gonna comment on your avi Briar...
Old 02-18-2016, 02:18 PM
  # 460 (permalink)  

I have all of the cassettes still...a few hundred I think.
So old, they are wearing out.
Ah...Casey Kasem....I can still hear his voice in my head Mark. It was one of my first connections to anything American, and it was so exciting.

I'm betting you were one of the last generations to record music from the radio Briar & Arbor...I know people in their 20s who don't know what cassette tapes are.

I haven't done any study this week yet Conquest. I've had my vol job, and job interviews, and a load of other stuff I needed to get done. So I'm just at the beginning still. All good so far.

I miss our house in the country. Well, it was beach/country, but I loved it.
I hope you guys can hold onto your families' country homes.

Yes, missing phoebe as well. Hopefully she will be finished with her on-line break very soon!

I cannot wake up today....how is your sleeping these days Leigh love?

Love to all of you. ♥

EDIT: Ooooooo BD, it's Friday (here). My most exciting day of the week TV-wise. Happy Dance!!!