Notices

Class of October 2014 Part 26

Old 02-12-2016, 03:24 PM
  # 301 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

Hey guys, I hope everyone is doing well.

Well, it's my day off, and naturally I spent it cleaning my home office. I know I know, but for real guys, it needed it! I feel much better now. My daughter's teacher was so sweet and lent me the first season of Orange is the New Black, and she insisted I stay in my jammies and watch it today. So I'm going to have to answer to her...oh well.

Anyway, I finally decided it was time to see a medical doctor about my anorexia recovery, so I'll be seeing a new doctor in an hour. She specializes in eating disorders, so I'm hoping she will be able to give me some guidance in my recovery. It's been about a month since I actively started recovering, and in that time I've gained about 15 pounds and gone through the terrible symptoms you experience when you come out of starvation. This process has been extremely physically painful, and I'm still struggling with many of the symptoms, plus moving into new ones, which is frustrating.

Guys, no joke, recovering from this is just about as bad as actively being in the disease. Tell your kids not to F around with eating disorders because it's all bad from start to...actually it will probably never finish. I realize I've had this disorder to varying degrees for the past 20 years, and I've learned that (like addiction in general) I can be in recovery, but it will ever completely go away. Sucks, but one thing I'm grateful for is that my almost year of sobriety has allowed this issue to come into the light where I can address it instead of letting it linger in the background while alcoholism dominated. A friend of mine says people are like onions - we have layers, and as you peel each one off, you find another. And a lot of us stink, but that's a separate issue.

So wish me luck. Love you all!
Old 02-12-2016, 03:32 PM
  # 302 (permalink)  

I am so glad that you are going to see your medical doctor, Briar. I hope that she can make the process less painful for you.
Old 02-12-2016, 04:37 PM
  # 303 (permalink)  

I'm very proud of you, Briar.
Old 02-12-2016, 04:40 PM
  # 304 (permalink)  

Hi'ya, phoebe!!!!!!
Old 02-12-2016, 04:54 PM
  # 305 (permalink)  

That sounds great Briar. Your a very strong woman.
Old 02-12-2016, 05:15 PM
  # 306 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's a great move Briar

D
Old 02-12-2016, 05:30 PM
  # 307 (permalink)  

Man, it is so cold here and getting colder tonight and tomorrow. Wind chills are going to be below zero.
Old 02-12-2016, 05:43 PM
  # 308 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Briar View Post
Guys, no joke, recovering from this is just about as bad as actively being in the disease. Tell your kids not to F around with eating disorders because it's all bad from start to...actually it will probably never finish. I realize I've had this disorder to varying degrees for the past 20 years, and I've learned that (like addiction in general) I can be in recovery, but it will ever completely go away. Sucks, but one thing I'm grateful for is that my almost year of sobriety has allowed this issue to come into the light where I can address it instead of letting it linger in the background while alcoholism dominated. A friend of mine says people are like onions - we have layers, and as you peel each one off, you find another. And a lot of us stink, but that's a separate issue.

So wish me luck. Love you all!
What an amazing post.... ♥

Wishing you luck dearest Briar, but I don't think you need it.
Old 02-12-2016, 05:45 PM
  # 309 (permalink)  

^^^ No kidding. Briar Rocks!!!!!
Old 02-12-2016, 06:08 PM
  # 310 (permalink)  

You guys are sweet!
Old 02-12-2016, 06:12 PM
  # 311 (permalink)  

Well, you are amazing Briar...all of you are.

I lie in bed sometimes and think about how my life has changed since I joined this class. You are all inspirations for me.
And very special friends.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:14 PM
  # 312 (permalink)  

I agree, venuscat; this an amazing class with fantastic members.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:57 PM
  # 313 (permalink)  

Everything went well. I like the new doctor, she's very nice and understanding. It was hard to talk about, but I think I got out all the pertinent information. Of course, I first had to give some vague explanation to her assistant as he got me situated (blood pressure, temperature, nudity, embarrassment, all that fun stuff), and it was awkward until he told me that he got sober 20 years ago. Amazing how quick that commonality can bond people - he and I are bros now.

A weird part was where he had to weigh me, and I kinda felt like I was in trouble because I had to strip down completely except for the paper gown (to make sure I wasn't hiding anything heavy) and step backward onto the scale because I'm not allowed to know my weight. Being controlled like that was unsettling and reminded me of rehab with all the drug tests and such. I was also surprised by how much it pissed me off that they wouldn't tell me my weight. I mean, I weighed myself at home today, so I know, but I wanted to know what their scale said. I was surprised by how much it bothered me.

The doctor said she's comfortable with my current weight but a couple more pounds would be good. She said under no circumstances am I to purposely go any lower than I am now. I have a hard time believing that, and having just met her, I'm struggling a little to put my complete trust in her. I mean, she's a doctor and all, but still. She said everything I'm experiencing is as expected considering how underweight I was, and it can take months to fully resolve. Awesome. But at least everything appears to be on the right track. She had me do a blood test and an EKG, and now I am to see her every two weeks until...actually I have no idea how long, and I'm to see a dietician regularly as well. I'm frustrated by how many damn appointments I have with this and the psych stuff, but I'm grateful to have access to comprehensive care.

Throughout the whole thing, I really had to be vigilant of the rebellious streak addiction has instilled in me. When I'm addicted to something, I resent and distrust those who try to detach me from it, even if I've essentially hired them to do so.

So it's all good. I'm doing what I know is best and most responsible under the circumstances, and I'm trying hard to recover and never have to go through this again.

Ever.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:58 PM
  # 314 (permalink)  

True dat V!

Old 02-12-2016, 07:01 PM
  # 315 (permalink)  

^^^ It's all good, Briar, very good. I am so glad that you have qualified people on your team.
Old 02-12-2016, 07:35 PM
  # 316 (permalink)  

Thanks Leigh, I'm glad for it too.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:08 PM
  # 317 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Man, it is so cold here and getting colder tonight and tomorrow. Wind chills are going to be below zero.
DH told me I can't open the window tonight-not even a crack. Fan is on though, I should be OK. I tell him that's what happens when you have a hot wife.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:09 PM
  # 318 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BrighterDayz View Post
DH told me I can't open the window tonight-not even a crack. Fan is on though, I should be OK. I tell him that's what happens when you have a hot wife.
Love it, BD!!!!
Old 02-12-2016, 08:12 PM
  # 319 (permalink)  

Briar, I am so happy that you have good people on your team now.

On a personal happy note, employer upgraded my blackberry to an iphone.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:14 PM
  # 320 (permalink)  

That's great, BD. The iPhone is a great device.