Notices

Class Of January 2016 Support Thread part 5

Old 02-01-2016, 08:20 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Dang Gypsy, you really had a bad day! I hope the ice cream sandwich took a little bit of the edge off. The universe owes you a really good day tomorrow!

Sweet dreams....
Old 02-02-2016, 02:19 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone. A few of us are a bit down. I think things will get better.

I have a bit of a cold. And I feel pretty depressed. I thought how nice it would be to have a drink... but I also thought about how crappy I would feel very quickly afterwards, and how awful it is when I feel disappointed in myself, which I would. So I guess I successfully played it forwards.
I m have a bad few days. But I want to give myself the option of things being different and better in the future. And drinking doesn't seem to work for me.....
Hang in there everyone.
I have eaten a lot of chocolate and lollies the past few days , and not exercised because of feeling unwell. Never mind. I am clear headed, and I like that feeling.
There is a massive huntsman in my unit. It scares me, but I don't want to kill it. Oh dear.
Old 02-02-2016, 02:30 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

It has been great to read the encouraging posts here today, thanks, folks.
Hope your cold gets better, lisa. (I won't mention that Creature in your home, I just hope it goes away!)
Take care, all.
Old 02-02-2016, 02:33 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on one month KDBnSLC

D
Old 02-02-2016, 02:41 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Sorry to whinge on here but I'm really struggling and don't even want to call my sponsor.
Had a horrible argument with mum when she visited and I've fallen in a heap. Can't believe how quickly the cravings come back when things feel tough... Don't like leaving a negative post but no one to talk to about it...locked in my room as I don't want my boys to see me upset.
I'm sure I'll feel better soon. It sounds like a lot of us have had a rotten day today...
Old 02-02-2016, 02:43 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Hello, i have been trying to post since my last post a week ago...unfortunately been away with work and only had the work laptop and, well you understand why i wouldn't want to use that.

Good news is... for a week i have been in quite a boozy environment... dinners, events...client entertainment etc.. also being away from my wife and baby. staying in a hotel on my own it would have been easy to drink

...But i can proudly say i am now 15 going on 16 days sober. won't say it wasn't hard
but i got through it.

i have been thinking a lot about sobriety and reflecting on how i can keep it going forever... for me i need to go to bars, pubs, dinners with friends etc..i need to know if any surprise or chance encounters happen i won't go spinning of the rails.. i have let alcohol control my life for the last 20 years, i am sure as hell not going to let the absence of it control where i go and who i meet.

I gave up smoking 10 years ago...i still carry a pack around with me. the logic at the time was, i have the option to have a smoke whenever i want so if someone offers me one it means nothing, i have 20 in my pocket. if i wanted to smoke i could, i just didn't want to.
christ knows what the logic is now... and i am sure as hell not taking a bottle of wine everywhere i go.

anyway i have been rambling...apologies
Old 02-02-2016, 02:53 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Lisa, I would run away screaming and then faint. I'm terrified of spiders.
Old 02-02-2016, 02:55 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Oh Nic, sorry you're having a bad day. It's in the air. Just shed a few tears and have a cup of tea as the Brits say. You are so positive for the rest of us. I know you won't drink, but it's ok to have a bad day and stay sober. Sending you hugs from Japan. I would LOVE some real lollies from oz. I'm really missing snakes and jelly babies! Not to mention salt and vinegar chips.
Enjoy the wonderful array of delicious snacks. I hope you cheer up soon.
Old 02-02-2016, 02:58 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Administrator

the really good thing about bad days in recovery is ...they;re just bad days...not the bad weeks or months we used to have when we were drinking or drugging. I hope the week improves for everyone today

Nic if you need the help do call your sponsor - that's why they give you their number

D
Old 02-02-2016, 03:03 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Thanks guys, I'm ok! I'm going to dry my eyes and toughen up!! Need to give my boys their dinner- it's 7pm!!
Arguments with my mum get so raw and emotional- I really don't like it and it's always over something ridiculous that escalates.
I just needed to vent I think so I'm sorry- I try and stay positive most of the time as that what gets me through the days!! I might go and shove some lollies in my mouth Sandy!! Sounds like good medicine :-)
I will ring my sponsor if I can't snap out of it Dee. I won't drink today.
Thanks for your thoughts xx
Old 02-02-2016, 03:09 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Congratulations KDB. One month is awesome!

I hope the universe does have a better day in store Odelle. I don't want another day like yesterday and I know it's my reaction that determines how it's going to be. Fingers crossed... I'm already starting out tired and cranky. I contemplated another ice cream sandwich for breakfast but had a banana instead lol. Ujjaii breath...

Hi Harris. Good to see you posting.

Lisa, what is a massive huntsman?

Dee

Day 19.
Old 02-02-2016, 03:43 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Ok.
Good day here we come !!
Old 02-02-2016, 03:43 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nic233 View Post
Sorry to whinge on here but I'm really struggling and don't even want to call my sponsor.
Had a horrible argument with mum when she visited and I've fallen in a heap. Can't believe how quickly the cravings come back when things feel tough... Don't like leaving a negative post but no one to talk to about it...locked in my room as I don't want my boys to see me upset.
I'm sure I'll feel better soon. It sounds like a lot of us have had a rotten day today...
Have you thought about journaling? Maybe that will help get some of the emotions and thoughts out? I'm so sorry, arguments never feel good, especially with a loved one. Please don't ever feel like you can't write a "negative post". There is really no such thing, it's just life- some days are different than what we are used to and that's okay. If we can help in any way, let us know. I truly hope you feel better. Try some deep, deep breaths. I am going to post some breathing exercises here in a bit.
Hugs to you!
Old 02-02-2016, 03:47 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gypsytears View Post
Congratulations KDB. One month is awesome!

I hope the universe does have a better day in store Odelle. I don't want another day like yesterday and I know it's my reaction that determines how it's going to be. Fingers crossed... I'm already starting out tired and cranky. I contemplated another ice cream sandwich for breakfast but had a banana instead lol. Ujjaii breath...

Hi Harris. Good to see you posting.

Lisa, what is a massive huntsman?

Dee

Day 19.
I had to google it as well. It's a spider, gah!!
Way to go on the banana- I love ice cream sandwiches! Here's to a better day for all of us! I was looking at some books by Albert Ellis, have you heard of him? He focuses on "Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy." which is about changing the way we think (our reactions as well). Looks promising. Have a great one!!
Old 02-02-2016, 03:58 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sunflowerlife View Post
Have you thought about journaling? Maybe that will help get some of the emotions and thoughts out? I'm so sorry, arguments never feel good, especially with a loved one. Please don't ever feel like you can't write a "negative post". There is really no such thing, it's just life- some days are different than what we are used to and that's okay. If we can help in any way, let us know. I truly hope you feel better. Try some deep, deep breaths. I am going to post some breathing exercises here in a bit.
Hugs to you!
Thanks so much for your lovely words SF! I used to journal a lot so maybe that would be a good idea... I ditched the healthy dinner for a Chinese take away and a decaf cup of tea so I'm already feeling better!!
I'm usually quite an upbeat person but I guess after numbing emotions for so long - I'm finding it difficult to deal with things now I'm sober. I'm sure that I wouldn't have even participated in the argument a few weeks ago..oh well.
Hugs back Hun- thanks so much xx
Old 02-02-2016, 06:17 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Nic, never feel guilty about putting distance between you and your mom; I do it quite a bit. I love my mom, but sometimes her negativity is too much for me to deal with. It's easy to come up with an excuse to "have to run" when the conversation turns negative. It takes some practice, but I have avoided many arguments using flight over fight.

I have come to the conclusion that arguing with my mom (and several other family members) is useless anyway, she is so set in her ways that my point of view is never even a serious consideration to her. Sometimes you just got to love them, you don't have to agree with them!
Old 02-02-2016, 06:47 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

29 days, nasty cold, took NyQuil last night, apparently not a good idea, feeling hung over.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:34 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

I hope you feel better soon, Jim. You need to be in tip top shape to ring in 30 days sober tomorrow!
Old 02-02-2016, 08:31 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
the really good thing about bad days in recovery is ...they;re just bad days...not the bad weeks or months we used to have when we were drinking or drugging. I hope the week improves for everyone today

Nic if you need the help do call your sponsor - that's why they give you their number

D
Dee - your words of wisdom have been a true beacon for me and no doubt for so many others. Thank you for being here for us!

Lots of sadness and smiles, small and big wins in recent posts. All important and insightful stuff---thanks for sharing everyone.

Lol - I had to google huntsman and lollies! Love hearing stories from around this big world.

(((HUGS))) to all today ---Let's carry on & Stay Sober
Old 02-02-2016, 09:21 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Beautiful day here, making love to my coffee while finishing up an omelet stuffed with tomatoes, onions, green peppers, mushrooms, and cheese. Sunlight streaming into the room.

Feeling my age, my gimp hip is very gritchy today, but happiness is mine for the moment, and I'll take it.

Originally Posted by Nic233 View Post
... Don't like leaving a negative post but no one to talk to about it...
Ma'am, support is for the bad times, not the good -- but we can't give support if we don't know, and of necessity that means unhappy posts too.

Originally Posted by strugglingJim View Post
29 days, nasty cold, took NyQuil last night, apparently not a good idea, feeling hung over.
I hope you get to feeling better, Jim. Congrats on your approaching month.