Notices

Class Of January 2016 Support Thread part 5

Old 02-09-2016, 02:20 PM
  # 401 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats MAV, JulySeaCoast and Delilah

Sorry you're down Thumpa.

My situation was a little different because I was single a long time before I got sober, but I had to learn that I couldn't control other people's forgiveness or when it happened.

That was a REALLY hard lesson for me - I was used to charming the birds off the trees...

but it really bought home to me just how far I'd fallen as a drinker and how much I wanted to be sober and never have this happen again.

D
Old 02-09-2016, 02:22 PM
  # 402 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Lulu212 View Post
Hi all - need ur help! Just finished a very long day of interviews and am about to get to the airport for my flight home. I keep thinking to grab a glass of wine in the club since I have a few hours to kill.

Please remind me why this one glass is a bad idea. It sounds like heaven already ... Biggest craving and test yet.
One glass is a terrible idea Lulu because it's the first glass that starts the madness in us, not the last - and lets face it, there will be more than one glass.

Buy a good book at the airport or have a meal, put on your ipod...whatever - but ignore that AV - you can do this

D
Old 02-09-2016, 02:33 PM
  # 403 (permalink)  
mav
just keep swimming

Originally Posted by Lulu212 View Post
Hi all - need ur help! Just finished a very long day of interviews and am about to get to the airport for my flight home. I keep thinking to grab a glass of wine in the club since I have a few hours to kill.

Please remind me why this one glass is a bad idea. It sounds like heaven already ... Biggest craving and test yet.
Don't do it lulu. You've been there before, you know it won't make you feel any better. In fact, it'll make you feel worse and you'll have a who,e fight of wondering 'why'.

But the feeling you get when you get through a craving, look back and see how strong you were, the sense of pride and power...? Now that's a GREAT feeling!

Be strong
Old 02-09-2016, 02:34 PM
  # 404 (permalink)  

It's not worth it Lulu, that "one" glass will just reactivate all of the receptors in your brain and then all self-control goes out the window. Think it through, you just came from an interview for a highly sought position, if you get the offer, the last thing you need to deal with is WDs! How about a nice specialty coffee drink instead?
Old 02-09-2016, 02:41 PM
  # 405 (permalink)  

Trust me when I tell you that every relapse I've had started with that 1 glass
It's never just a glass lulu xx
Old 02-09-2016, 02:50 PM
  # 406 (permalink)  

Thank you all - I stopped for a huge dinner and am stuffing my face instead of grabbing a glass of wine. If I use HALT, I am hungry and tired and these are probably driving the cravings.

Am staying out of the club and going to weather the storm.
Old 02-09-2016, 02:52 PM
  # 407 (permalink)  
Administrator

awesome stuff Lulu

D
Old 02-09-2016, 03:22 PM
  # 408 (permalink)  

Wew! I was gonna say FOOD Lulu! Good for
you !

I love Maxine!

Bitter cold in St Louis. Doing very well, just very busy and torn in many directions.

Take care everyone.

Thump. I think you are doing good. Give her space and time to think. Prove to her you can do this. Loved Odelle's idea and what you have done already.

Olivia
Old 02-09-2016, 03:43 PM
  # 409 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Haven't been keeping up sorry peeps. Glad to see Lulu had a good dinner instead of drinking .

Day off today finally. I slept late, trimmed deer tenderloins, dishes for my bf and went out to the deer hanging in the garage to hack off some meat for chili. For me it's a good day. I'm easily entertained. He's hunting now and going to bed as soon as he gets back (OT starts at 3am for his job tomorrow) which leaves me here with you all to catch up.

The job from hell is just as bad. The general manager spoke to me a few times telling me to hang in there, the first few weeks are crazy and that he has a plan for me to finally be doing more along the lines of what I was hired for. Patience he said. Okay... I'm trying lol. Now the kitchen manager called and left a message this afternoon saying he had a question about tomorrow & Sunday. Hmmm... Tomorrow is my day off too. I'm not going to return his call and get trapped or guilted into coming in. This is not an on call job ffs.

Going to check the chili and check back in... 26 days today .
Old 02-09-2016, 03:52 PM
  # 410 (permalink)  

Huge congratulations to those that reached 40 days! Well done. What you are doing is working so keep going strong.
This really is a lovely class helping each other with more than just sobriety.
Lulu, you did EXACTLY what we are supposed to do. When a craving came on, you posted on here and reached into your toolbox to save yourself. A day of interviews is tough. But a drink is not a reward anymore. Well done on getting through it.
Sorry you're feeling down today Thump. Disturbing dreams really are a bad way to start the day. It's positive that you are both working through this and both seeking help. Love the idea of actually sending a card in the mail. Keep it simple and sweet. You've written your long letter of regret, just a few words to let her know that you are thinking of her and care for her. I hope you are taking care that your recovery is for YOU. A better you, a better life.
I have a jam-packed day today. Just enjoying a mc'donald's breakfast (with salad instead of hash brown) before I embark on my whirlwind day. I also had a drinking dream last night too, but woke up not too shaken luckily.
Wishing everyone a lovely day/night.
Take care.
Old 02-09-2016, 04:03 PM
  # 411 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Sandy, I have been intending to send the card as well, yeah.

Feeling better now. Referred back to mindfulness, and started compiling my gratitude list, in my head -- great way to put things into perspective.

Thank you guys so much!
Old 02-09-2016, 09:31 PM
  # 412 (permalink)  

Odelle - I laughed aloud at your post at #396, thank you!
Lulu - I'm sure I wasn't alone in my sigh of relief on reading your post at #406 - well done!
Day 18 for me, perhaps my best yet, after another good night's sleep. I accomplished several errands out and about, and did a tiny bit of gardening and some paperwork and planning. I suspect that the more I do, the easier it will become.
Carry on, take care.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:38 PM
  # 413 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

Hi everyone and congrats to the other 40 Dayers!

Long, long day here. Just got home from an almost 6-hour combo business / dinner meeting. But I was bored silly by the social chatter, over the top excessive food and way too much alcohol all around me.

Pre-sober me probably would have enjoyed this event but now, all evening I longed for a simple & healthy meal, a nice cup of tea, a good book by the fireplace, and checking in here at SR. Wish I would have called in sick!

Home now, yay. Wrapping up Day 40 and looking forward to 41 and beyond!

It was was nice to catch up on your posts and I really love the support everyone gives and gets in our class. Night all....
Old 02-10-2016, 12:52 AM
  # 414 (permalink)  

Well I haven't been sick in 25 years. Now that I am not drinking I am sick again! Had that terrible cough for almost three weeks. Now I'm chilled to the bone and have a cold. Even turned on a heating pad because I could not get warm. Freezing here in St Louis. That bitter cold crap!

Take care. Carry on! I like that one ! Carry on!

Work up and couldn't sleep. Gonna read my crime novel for a bit. Accidentally deleted my hypnosis stuff on my Sandisk. Need to reinstall but need a computer to do so. Will do later today. I'm starting to cringe that I don't have it for two days now.

Olivia
Old 02-10-2016, 12:58 AM
  # 415 (permalink)  
Administrator

getting sick happens to a lot of us in early recovery - I think drinking masks a lot of things...I also think we run our immune system very hard during active addiction.

The combination of these two factors means a lot of us get sick in the first few weeks...we do get better tho

D
Old 02-10-2016, 04:28 AM
  # 416 (permalink)  

Morning all!

Thanks to all of you amazing people, I woke up sober this 37th morning being drink free. I'm so glad you all were here - it really saved me. In the end, I just think how far I've come and how far I have to go, and realized that a glass (or 5, who am I kidding?) would not make anything better.

About 10 minutes after I posted, I received a call from the team hiring for this new role. They heard good things about my marathon interview day and want to discuss next steps this afternoon. I have to think that being sober just helped the karma of that happening so quickly along.

Onward and upward! (And still need that magic weight loss wand ... My body just doesn't want to let these pounds go)
Old 02-10-2016, 05:42 AM
  # 417 (permalink)  

Evening all,
Hope everyone is going well and staying strong. I've just been to a great steps meeting- always come back so pumped and recommitted to my sobriety...
Almost finished my 31st day.. This is the first time I've done recovery properly... In the past I may come and post on sober recovery now and then but I've never put any other support networks in place...
For the first time in my life I can actually feel confident that I can stay sober and live a fabulous life..I've got a great sponsor, I'm making so many friends through my various AA meetings and I have all of you here too. My boys have noticed a difference in my moods. I always thought that I was upbeat anyway but they said I'm more patient and less snappy!! That's a good thing.
I'm starting to notice and appreciate the little things, a great coffee, the sounds of the waves at night from my back yard, and the world seems brighter(as cliched as it sounds)
Sorry about the long rambling post but I just wanted to share the great headspace I'm in right now. Even the drinking dreams can't dampen my spirits- We are a great support network and I'm grateful to be a part of the Class of January xx
Old 02-10-2016, 06:07 AM
  # 418 (permalink)  

Nice post, Nic. I'm starting to feel the same way. Life is brighter! I'm brighter. So pleased you enjoyed your day. I did too. 😀
Karma is a wonderful thing, Lulu. Your interview sounds promising. Fingers crossed!
Going to sleep with a smile tonight. Have a great day everyone.
Old 02-10-2016, 06:40 AM
  # 419 (permalink)  

Gypsytears, hopefully, everything will smooth out at work soon and you’ll be able to assume the role you were promised.

Way to go Bandi, you sailed through day 40 with flying colors. It’s funny how sobriety helps us to appreciate the little things in life that are so often taken for granted.

Sorry to hear that you are sick Olivia, if the cough persists, you should see a doctor, you don’t want to end up with pneumonia!

Congratulations on getting through a stressful day yesterday, Lulu, and sending good vibes in your direction for nailing the position!

Nic, your recovery program sounds like it is working well for you!
Old 02-10-2016, 07:50 AM
  # 420 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

A good sleep and waking up sober ... the simple pleasures in life truly are the best.

Today's my Friday. I'm going into town today to pick up that card and get it mailed off, and also pick up a few sundries for the house. Come home, and grill up some boneless chicken for my dinner at work, which starts at two.

I hope everyone has a great day, I'll be in and out as time and workload permit.

Originally Posted by SandyO View Post
I hope you are taking care that your recovery is for YOU. A better you, a better life.
Sorry that I missed this last night. I am indeed doing this for myself. I will be sober whether or not we stay together. I owe it to her that she dragged me to a vantage-point where I could see myself as the addict that I am, as the hypocrite that I was, as the very imperfect man in need of reform.

Should our relationship not survive, that dissolution won't change what I have seen about myself that needs to change, nor the steps I'm taking -- sobriety, recovery, and growth.

Originally Posted by SandyO View Post
I have a jam-packed day today. Just enjoying a mc'donald's breakfast (with salad instead of hash brown) before I embark on my whirlwind day. I also had a drinking dream last night too, but woke up not too shaken luckily.
Wishing everyone a lovely day/night.
Take care.
I hope your day was a good one, ma'am.