Notices

Class Of January 2016 Support Thread part 5

Old 02-07-2016, 02:48 PM
  # 301 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Good job, Illi.

"Lead me not into temptation ... I can find it myself." And that's something we all need to stop, right?
Old 02-07-2016, 02:55 PM
  # 302 (permalink)  

Checking in on Monday morning. Have a great day everyone Have a great Superbowl Sunday if you are from USA !
Old 02-07-2016, 03:38 PM
  # 303 (permalink)  

Hi all,
I'm still here- had a bit of a struggle this weekend (very nearly bought alcohol)but I'm still sober and on day 29! Physically feeling a little better each day. Weight is very slowly moving in the right direction too which is good.
Hope you're all doing well and staying sober my friends xx will catch up on the posts later at lunch xx
Happy Monday xx
Old 02-07-2016, 03:53 PM
  # 304 (permalink)  
On the road of happy destiny

So here's something weird I'm realizing about myself. Do you know what a big trigger emotion for me is? Relief.

I filed my taxes today and I was fairly sure I'd be getting money back, but you can never be positive until it's done, right? Well, I am getting a good refund - a bit better than I'd guessed, in fact, and when I was done, I really wanted to drink. Looking back, this is a common thing for me. It's not really so much stress or sadness that does it, but relief. It's like my AV thinks it can sneak in when my guard is down.

I didn't drink. I don't even have anything in the house. But it's interesting to look back and see that pattern. Do you guys notice any surprising patterns to what triggers your AV to start whispering (or yelling)?

Instead I had sparkling water and really delicious tacos in lettuce wraps. Very healthy! Woohoo!
Old 02-07-2016, 03:55 PM
  # 305 (permalink)  

Feeling great Day 16! Drinking wine during the Superbowl is not even tempting. Maybe this year I will remember the commercials
Old 02-07-2016, 04:07 PM
  # 306 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 15 days ProudPenguin, here’s a big cyber hug coming your way! Maybe if you get enough cyber hugs, you’ll become more tolerant of real hugs.

illi, you chose well! I second Sunflower’s recommendation; make it a day of pampering for you!

JulySeaCoast, it just sucks big time when we romanticize the days when we could have a couple of glasses of wine on the weekend, those days ended a long time ago, replace that thought with 2-3 bottles of wine, passing out on the couch with the TV on, waking up at 3:00 a.m., confused and then horror stricken when you realize that you did it again, and feeling and looking like sh*t for the next few days. Not much to miss, huh?

Now is the time to establish new rituals, maybe alternating with Friday night pedicures, movies, or dinner out, and when Saturday rolls around find something to do outside of the house for a few hours. I guess these are things we all need to add to our plans, to keep the AV at bay.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:31 PM
  # 307 (permalink)  

Strong, I know that my AV will use anything, good or bad, as justification for drinking. That tells me that the solution is internal, not external.
Old 02-07-2016, 06:54 PM
  # 308 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SandyO View Post
Congratulations Nic on 4 weeks, Odelle 30 days and everyone else going strong.
I hope you made it to the gym Strongbird. I hate the start of going to the gym, everyone in their snazzy outfits. I always go to the women's only section. It's a comfortable crowd.
Thump, I hope you are feeling better. I know your message was a while ago, but I do wish you ended up having a good day.
I had a pretty active and productive weekend. I even made beef stew yesterday. Not a big deal to most but I really don't cook. And it's the first time I've cooked meat in 21 years! I was a vegetarian up until 6 months ago. When I was sober! I became a vegetarian when I started drinking and stopped when I got sober. How weird is that! My husband always "improves" my cooking but he didn't add anything extra! Very impressed with myself. The things we can do when sober.
I'm feeling pretty good today at 2 weeks.
Take care all.
Thanks Sandy xxx
Old 02-07-2016, 06:56 PM
  # 309 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lisatryingagain View Post
Thumpalumpus thankyou so much for your kind words, I appreciate them a lot. Have you ever spoken to an exercise physio, they could perhaps tell you what exercises you can do which are ok with your bone condition? Even just go to a pool for a casual splash around? I know for me right now the endorphins I get from any exercise are a major life saver - they don't fix everything but they help me a lot. I walk into the gym teary sometimes, and walk out so much calmer and contented.

Strangeangel thankyou for sharing, I also drank recently.

Nic congrats on 28 days, fantastic.

Sunflowerlife so glad to hear that the online counselling has helped that's really great.

Hugs and good wishes to everyone today.

We are all doing our best and our best is enough. We are enough.
Thanks Lisa xxxx
Old 02-07-2016, 06:56 PM
  # 310 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Odelle View Post
Nic, congratulations on 4 weeks!

I am on day 30 today and the nicotine cravings have been relentless the past few days (day 12 today), so I threw all caution to the wind and broke down and bought myself a pint of B&J ice cream, take that AV!

I ate the whole thing and don't feel one bit guilty, haha. Now I have a tummy ache and probably won't enjoy my walk this evening, but it is what it is!

Stay strong guys, we're in this for the long haul and it isn't always going to be sunshine and lollipops!
Thanks Odelle xxx
Old 02-07-2016, 06:57 PM
  # 311 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thumpalumpacus View Post
Lisa, thanks for the good ideas.

Nic, congrats on four weeks, sweetie. Keep rockin' it.
Thanks so much Thumpa xxx
Old 02-07-2016, 06:58 PM
  # 312 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sunflowerlife View Post
Thump- glad you rode the wave of emotions yesterday and made it out okay. I also love the serenity prayer and you are right, it can be applied to so many things in our lives. I think hurt and pain almost always comes from feeling helpless and like we don't have control over situations in our lives. Once we can let go of that, and start asking for and expecting greater things, the Universe opens up to even bigger possibilities.
At the same time, I think in early sobriety we have so much going on emotionally, we need to remember not to be so hard on ourselves. What we are doing is HUGE! Hope today is a better day for you

Strongbird- How was the gym? I love what you wrote, I did the same thing a few months ago- bought a 3 pack kickboxing class but haven't gone because I didn't want to be the "least in shape one" in class. Ha!! Our AV is hilarious. I started reading RR yesterday and low how it can be applied to our food beast. If you want an accountability partner, I can be there for you! I commit to 5 workouts this week! Let's do it

Odelle
- I like having the list for sobriety dates or even just birthdays Oh, and congrats on your 30 days!! I ate a pint of ice cream the other day and it was amazing, no guilt! I can't imagine having a spouse who works 7 days a week- that is rough! Has it always been this way? Any hobbies you want to pick up that would fill in the time?

Nic- congrats on 4 weeks!

Sandy- glad you are feeling well! I love cooking as well, glad your stew turned out well!
Thanks SUnflower xxx
Old 02-07-2016, 07:04 PM
  # 313 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JulySeaCoast View Post
Haha!!!! Ditto!! I'm not good at writing supportive messages although I think about everybody here and read along and wish the very best for all of us when we are doing great and when we falter.
I'm on day 38. Doing pretty well. I so miss my wine though. I feel depressed. I really wanted wine on Friday night and Saturday night. I ignored my AV's desperate requests. It was jumping up and down waving at me trying to get my attention. I did this:
Well done Julysea on ignoring your AV! And huge congrats on 38 days sober. I am also struggling a little at the moment. Yesterday I drove to the drive-thru bottle shop with the intention of buying alcohol but thankfully being Sunday it was still closed. By the time it would have been open-that awful craving had passed. I sat my ass in a chair in a meeting last night and am feeling stronger once again.... Irt's certainly a rollercoaster hey! Good luck-stay strong x
Old 02-07-2016, 07:10 PM
  # 314 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Congrats on 4 weeks Nic - and on 2 weeks Proud Penguin and Caramel

Theres a lot of support around here today for you football fans

D
Thanks so much Dee xx
Old 02-07-2016, 08:44 PM
  # 315 (permalink)  

It's been a good day and evening. Brunch at mom's with my favorite cousins, now nearing the end of my ten-hour shift. Emotions finely tuned, and a general happiness overhead. Life doesn't have to be perfect to be good, and I'm grateful for this peace of mind.

Think I'll go home and work on some music. Life is good.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:52 PM
  # 316 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thumpalumpacus View Post
It's been a good day and evening. Brunch at mom's with my favorite cousins, now nearing the end of my ten-hour shift. Emotions finely tuned, and a general happiness overhead. Life doesn't have to be perfect to be good, and I'm grateful for this peace of mind.

Think I'll go home and work on some music. Life is good.
Glad you're feeling better Thumpa.. That's a great thing to remember that as long as we are making progress we don't need perfection hey!!!

My day has done a complete 360 from yesterday too. Yesterday morning I woke up emotional and in a crap mood. Snapping at my kids, and in a general funk. Drive to the bottle shop in the hope to buy some alcohol(like that ever solves anything anyway !!!!I'm thanking God today that I didn't slip!!
I feel fantastic today! Work is going great-I have a meeting with my sponsor after work and then I think I'll join you and listen to some music. Always cheers me up!!!

Enjoy the rest of your evening hun xx
Old 02-07-2016, 10:00 PM
  # 317 (permalink)  

((((Nic))))

Hang in there, ma'am. As bad as things might seem, they'll never be as bad as they were a month ago. Glad you had your escape, narrow though it was. Be strong!
Old 02-07-2016, 11:17 PM
  # 318 (permalink)  

No you are completely right! At least I go to bed sober and wake up sober now.. Everything in between will get better with time -I'm confident on that.

Glad we are all so supportive on our class of Jan page!!! xxx
Old 02-07-2016, 11:58 PM
  # 319 (permalink)  

Day 16, they're ticking along.
I had some brief hankerings yesterday but they went away.
I wouldn't mind if my sleep-patterns improved: seem to be awake till 2am and then start the day again at 9am which is a bit inconvenient. However I'm feeling better in myself.
Enjoying watching some gentle and very funny 1970s comedy on YouTube.
Best wishes to everyone in our various hemispheres and time-zones
Take care.
Old 02-08-2016, 01:29 AM
  # 320 (permalink)  
mav
just keep swimming

Originally Posted by Sunflowerlife View Post
Good morning my friends~
Woke up with a splitting headache several times but kept going back to sleep.
I've been getting the nasty morning headaches the past few days. I call them the anti-hangover. Not much fun. Especially as I thought I quick drinking to stop getting them! NO FAIR! :p