Notices

Class Of January 2016 Support Thread part 5

Old 02-06-2016, 08:53 PM
  # 281 (permalink)  

hi everyone i missed checking in yesterday as i was pretty busy but i have had a good and sober weekend. Hope you are all well. Have a good time for tyhe rest of the weekend
Old 02-06-2016, 10:13 PM
  # 282 (permalink)  

Woo hoo Odelle - congrats on 30!!!!
Old 02-06-2016, 10:54 PM
  # 283 (permalink)  

Well done odelle on 30 days xxx
Old 02-06-2016, 11:25 PM
  # 284 (permalink)  

Just checking in, everything ok, nothing particular to report. Carry on
Old 02-06-2016, 11:26 PM
  # 285 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats from me too Odelle

D
Old 02-07-2016, 02:30 AM
  # 286 (permalink)  

Congratulations Nic on 4 weeks, Odelle 30 days and everyone else going strong.
I hope you made it to the gym Strongbird. I hate the start of going to the gym, everyone in their snazzy outfits. I always go to the women's only section. It's a comfortable crowd.
Thump, I hope you are feeling better. I know your message was a while ago, but I do wish you ended up having a good day.
I had a pretty active and productive weekend. I even made beef stew yesterday. Not a big deal to most but I really don't cook. And it's the first time I've cooked meat in 21 years! I was a vegetarian up until 6 months ago. When I was sober! I became a vegetarian when I started drinking and stopped when I got sober. How weird is that! My husband always "improves" my cooking but he didn't add anything extra! Very impressed with myself. The things we can do when sober.
I'm feeling pretty good today at 2 weeks.
Take care all.
Old 02-07-2016, 03:40 AM
  # 287 (permalink)  
On the road of happy destiny

Congratulations, Odelle! Nicely done!
Old 02-07-2016, 04:13 AM
  # 288 (permalink)  

Thump- glad you rode the wave of emotions yesterday and made it out okay. I also love the serenity prayer and you are right, it can be applied to so many things in our lives. I think hurt and pain almost always comes from feeling helpless and like we don't have control over situations in our lives. Once we can let go of that, and start asking for and expecting greater things, the Universe opens up to even bigger possibilities.
At the same time, I think in early sobriety we have so much going on emotionally, we need to remember not to be so hard on ourselves. What we are doing is HUGE! Hope today is a better day for you

Strongbird- How was the gym? I love what you wrote, I did the same thing a few months ago- bought a 3 pack kickboxing class but haven't gone because I didn't want to be the "least in shape one" in class. Ha!! Our AV is hilarious. I started reading RR yesterday and low how it can be applied to our food beast. If you want an accountability partner, I can be there for you! I commit to 5 workouts this week! Let's do it

Odelle
- I like having the list for sobriety dates or even just birthdays Oh, and congrats on your 30 days!! I ate a pint of ice cream the other day and it was amazing, no guilt! I can't imagine having a spouse who works 7 days a week- that is rough! Has it always been this way? Any hobbies you want to pick up that would fill in the time?

Nic- congrats on 4 weeks!

Sandy- glad you are feeling well! I love cooking as well, glad your stew turned out well!
Old 02-07-2016, 04:21 AM
  # 289 (permalink)  

Good morning my friends~

Another rainy day here in the Sunshine State and the baby is up and running around. Our weekend begins today but we don't have any plans really. I'd like to get to the gym but I am still having lower back pain (injured myself in December) and I cannot for the life of me get rid of this awful, dry hacking cough. I have also been waking up with splitting headaches for 3 days now and not sure what to attribute that too. I am taking 1/2 a Wellbutrin to see how it affects me- so far so good, but I wonder if it is causing the headaches?

I have so many goals for the next 2 weeks ahead- want to encorporate daily meditation, art and exercise in my life again. I have been working out regularly since I was 15 and really lost my groove when we moved here in October. I even worked out 6 days a week during my last pregnancy so why is it so hard to muster up the motivation now? I am not sure what is going on. I guess I though sobriety would make me more motivated but instead I feel like all I want to do is sit on the couch all day and watch tv.

Anyway, I read a pretty cool story on a girl who got sober, in case anyone wants to check it out:

http://www.xojane.com/it-happened-to...tting-drinking

Have a great Sunday, stay sober and stay true to yourself...

Old 02-07-2016, 07:30 AM
  # 290 (permalink)  

Mornin!

Odelle! Congrats! You go grrl! Love the avocado mask. Ever use egg whites and such? I used to make my own masks. You've motivated me yet again! My husband is off for the most part in the winter but seven long days spring winter fall. I pick up to the big seven too. We both are very energetic, otherwise I don't think we'd make it! It does get old tho with them being gone all the time. I had a 28 year white collar job with weekends off. Raised kids, yard work (big yard), groceries, clean, laundry, etc. Sucked!

Sun - love your daily words of wisdom! You're probably just more tired now to work out as much as you used to. I was a gym maniac when I was younger for about 25 years easy. I'm back at the gym and loving it. I also bike ride on a paved levee surrounding our farm/small city. Really love that. Need to do that more. Peace and serenity!

SO - I like to cook. Some turns out fabulous, some ok! Just play around! Love that your husband adds to it sometimes. I have stew meat, just need to make the stew! My husband doesn't cook.

Thump. I guess no hip replacement ? I know a few ppl had them and are loving it. I like the idea of a swim class or such. That break up stuff is hard. Hope you have a brighter future! You will. Might not seem like it now tho.

Congrats on milestones! Congrats on those of us getting back on the horse! I don't want to fug this up again!!

Ok, I'm drawing a blank on more. I know I missed ppl This old brain doesn't like to take notes! We are all a special group working together. And thanks Dee and SW for always chiming in with good ideas (and any other old timers).

Olivia
Old 02-07-2016, 07:36 AM
  # 291 (permalink)  

Sun - just read the link. Thank you!
Old 02-07-2016, 07:43 AM
  # 292 (permalink)  
On the road of happy destiny

I went to the gym yesterday and it was fantastic!

I got really into running a few years ago and did several half marathons (13.1 miles, 21 kilometers). That's a great distance because it taps into your endurance without completely zapping you and without taking all day to train for. I decided to do a full marathon in October 2014 and I swear, it broke me. I had so many nagging little overuse injuries and I really grew to resent the time commitment. I actually drank a month afterwards because I felt like I deserved it!

Anyway, I will get back to running someday but yesterday, I just did the elliptical and weights. I went with a friend and we both felt so great afterwards!

I'm going to try to go 2-3 times a week. I can't go more - my gym doesn't have childcare, but my pre-teen daughter isn't old enough to come in with me. So I can only go when she's at her father's house. But she'll do workout videos sometimes, and she'll definitely walk to the playground with me! Baby steps. It feels good to be excited about working out again, instead of just feeling guilty that I'm too hungover to workout and I'm going to eat McDonalds. Never again!

Sun, I'd love an accountability partner! Let's do this!
Old 02-07-2016, 08:29 AM
  # 293 (permalink)  

SB - great motivation for me and all! I do elliptical and weights. Used to do spinning class. Gonna do soon again. Wanted my endurance up a bit first! Now running..... Never could do long distance! Maybe cause I had pneumonia as a baby. A girl who works for me is a marathoner. I just don't know how she does it. Her foot is bothering her now. I'd always kinda joke and say how can your spine, knees, feet etc stand that shock. Good shoes or not. I used to do bench aerobics too. Tore up my knees!

We sound like a bunch of exercise/health enthusiasts! Reading these posts, it's hard to believe we are also a bunch of alcoholics!

Onward ho!!!

Go Patriots I think. Not a big fan but I did see that Hail Mary game. Wow! That was fab!

Love ya all. My FIL always said that!

Olivia
Old 02-07-2016, 08:38 AM
  # 294 (permalink)  

Day 15 of being sober. Yesterday's meeting was great , but also a bit overwhelming. Maybe because I'm new to this , but I found so many people asking questions a bit too much . Everyone was cheering me for being 2 weeks sober and kept coming to give me a hug . I don't know , I don't do hugs and well dones . I found myself sitting in the far end corner feeling embarrassed. I'm a bit socially awkward person and also there were so many people who tried to talk to me but I simply couldn't understand what they were saying because of their accents. Feel a bit dumb .
Old 02-07-2016, 08:48 AM
  # 295 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

G'morning, everyone. I'm off to mom's in a bit. I went there last night after work. Mom had wanted me to spend the night, but I declined, citing some "stuff I needed to get done before bed" -- but mainly because if I accepted the stay overnight, I wouldn't have an escape hatch if the temptation got too much (my cousins who are visiting, we're old party buddies). Hard to say "I've gotta get going" when you're staying.

I never felt too tempted anyway, and nursed my mineral water. Funny enough, we ended up watching a Cheech and Chong movie -- just what I needed to see, lol.

Headed over there now for brunch, and then off to work.

I hope all here have a great Sunday.

Originally Posted by SandyO View Post
Thump, I hope you are feeling better. I know your message was a while ago, but I do wish you ended up having a good day.
It did. I ended up calling my complicated SO, and we had a great conversation which did much to repair our good will, so that even if we can't rescue our love, we will still have friendship. That means a lot to me.
Old 02-07-2016, 08:55 AM
  # 296 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Originally Posted by Olivia2011 View Post
Thump. I guess no hip replacement ? I know a few ppl had them and are loving it. I like the idea of a swim class or such. That break up stuff is hard. Hope you have a brighter future! You will. Might not seem like it now tho.
I get my medical care from the Veterans' Administration. They won't give me a hip replacement right now because I'm too young; HRs have a life of ten to fifteen years, but can only be replaced once, really. And the VA doesn't offer more advanced techniques like crowning.

Now that I've gone full-time at the gas station I'm eligible for insurance, and am waiting for the open enrollment. Until then, grin (or grit my teeth), and bear it.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:00 AM
  # 297 (permalink)  

Hi All!

So today is Super Bowl Sunday... And I will not be going to the party. It's the first time in the 14 years my husband and I have been together. My feelings are mixed about the whole thing. I'm feeling strong in my sobriety but not strong enough to face that situation. I'm proud that I realize this, but really sad that I'm missing out. Geez writing this is making me cry. I'm not sad about missing out on the booze and pot brownies. I guess it's the feeling that if I went I couldn't control my addiction. Next year I guess...

Hope you all have a safe and sober Sunday
Old 02-07-2016, 11:11 AM
  # 298 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Caramel View Post
Just checking in, everything ok, nothing particular to report. Carry on
Haha!!!! Ditto!! I'm not good at writing supportive messages although I think about everybody here and read along and wish the very best for all of us when we are doing great and when we falter.
I'm on day 38. Doing pretty well. I so miss my wine though. I feel depressed. I really wanted wine on Friday night and Saturday night. I ignored my AV's desperate requests. It was jumping up and down waving at me trying to get my attention. I did this:
Old 02-07-2016, 11:32 AM
  # 299 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by illi1111 View Post
Hi All! So today is Super Bowl Sunday... And I will not be going to the party. It's the first time in the 14 years my husband and I have been together. My feelings are mixed about the whole thing. I'm feeling strong in my sobriety but not strong enough to face that situation. I'm proud that I realize this, but really sad that I'm missing out. Geez writing this is making me cry. I'm not sad about missing out on the booze and pot brownies. I guess it's the feeling that if I went I couldn't control my addiction. Next year I guess... Hope you all have a safe and sober Sunday
You are doing a great thing Illi. You know it will be tempting and there is no reason to put yourself in a situation like that. How does your husband feel about it? I hope he is being supportive. I suppose we are going to be faced with a lot of situations like these in the months to come. I have a feeling it will get easier with practice but right now you have every right to be upset about it. Just let yourself go through the emotions.

I do hope you can find a way to enjoy your evening. How about soaking your feet while you watch the game and then giving yourself a pedicure? I did this a while back with some Epsom salts and essential oils. It was so relaxing!
Old 02-07-2016, 02:40 PM
  # 300 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 4 weeks Nic - and on 2 weeks Proud Penguin and Caramel

Theres a lot of support around here today for you football fans

D